Winners Choice and OVAC > WSAZ

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhug

Winners Choice and OVAC > WSAZ

Postby Bearhug » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:09 am

WSAZ's get so much special attention on this website, and its wild. In my opinion there are two other tournaments that are just a tough or tougher. Winners Choice had most of the tough schools at WSAZ's along with Spring Mills, Fairmont Senior, Washington, and half of a Waynesburg team that did a lot of damage. OVAC had Wheeling Park, Barnesville, and Steubenville. To say that WSAZ's is leaps and bounds tougher than either tournament, is ludacris.

Bearhugger

Re: Winners Choice and OVAC > WSAZ

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:45 am

Bearhug wrote:WSAZ's get so much special attention on this website, and its wild. In my opinion there are two other tournaments that are just a tough or tougher. Winners Choice had most of the tough schools at WSAZ's along with Spring Mills, Fairmont Senior, Washington, and half of a Waynesburg team that did a lot of damage. OVAC had Wheeling Park, Barnesville, and Steubenville. To say that WSAZ's is leaps and bounds tougher than either tournament, is ludacris.

Opinions vary. I was present at both the Winner's Choice and the WSAZ. Although I do not want to put down one tournament or team to make a point, I will try to be as factual as possible.

Parkersburg South was at all three tournaments. These are the three toughest WV tournaments there is. The OVAC has the least amount of WV teams. Parkersburg South had wrestlers do better at the OVAC than the other two tournaments.

Wheeling Park would have been an outstanding addition to both the Winner's Choice and the WSAZ. However, WP finished third at the OVAC to South and University.

Which of these three tournaments did you attend this season?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:06 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Bearhug wrote:WSAZ's get so much special attention on this website, and its wild. In my opinion there are two other tournaments that are just a tough or tougher. Winners Choice had most of the tough schools at WSAZ's along with Spring Mills, Fairmont Senior, Washington, and half of a Waynesburg team that did a lot of damage. OVAC had Wheeling Park, Barnesville, and Steubenville. To say that WSAZ's is leaps and bounds tougher than either tournament, is ludacris.

Opinions vary. I was present at both the Winner's Choice and the WSAZ. Although I do not want to put down one tournament or team to make a point, I will try to be as factual as possible.

Parkersburg South was at all three tournaments. These are the three toughest WV tournaments there is. The OVAC has the least amount of WV teams. Parkersburg South had wrestlers do better at the OVAC than the other two tournaments.

Wheeling Park would have been an outstanding addition to both the Winner's Choice and the WSAZ. However, WP finished third at the OVAC to South and University.

Which of these three tournaments did you attend this season?

I didn't get to attend any of the tournaments, however I have been to all three in the past. I'm just basing everything off of results and teams that attended. I'm not saying WSAZ's isn't tough, I'm saying there are two other tournaments that don't get enough attention as WSAZ's and are just as tough or tougher than the Z's.

Here's a piece of trivia, name one four time Winners Choice champion.... I'll be waiting

aacoach126

Postby aacoach126 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:33 pm

I believe Seth Easter was a 4 time Winner's Choice Champion:

'05 @ 130, '06 @ 120, "07 @ 140, '08@ 145

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:17 pm

aacoach126 wrote:I believe Seth Easter was a 4 time Winner's Choice Champion:

He and Mitch Smith are the only two I can find. 4x state champions Adam Bicak, Andy Thomas (controversialy) , Dylan Cottrell, Tory Bennett, and Zach Frazier all took L's at Winners Choice

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:28 pm

Bearhug wrote:

He and Mitch Smith are the only two I can find. 4x state champions Adam Bicak, Andy Thomas (controversialy) , Dylan Cottrell, Tory Bennett, and Zach Frazier all took L's at Winners Choice

Gage Wright got put out of wrestling at the Winner's Choice this season. One could use this as an indicator that the WC is the toughest. However, the OVAC and WSAZ were easier because Wright wasn't able to attend.

To be fair, one should take schools and wrestlers that attended all three or two out of the three and compare performances across the three tournaments.

I am sure if you take it weight class by weight class, a strong argument can be made which is tougher at the weight class level.

From an overall WV ranking level, the OVAC created the least needed ranking changes. Part of this is due to it having the least amount of WV teams of the three. The WSAZ brought on the most ranking changes. Many #1 ranked wrestlers got taken out of the #1 spot at the WSAZ.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:01 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Bearhug wrote:

Gage Wright got put out of wrestling at the Winner's Choice this season. One could use this as an indicator that the WC is the toughest. However, the OVAC and WSAZ were easier because Wright wasn't able to attend.

To be fair, one should take schools and wrestlers that attended all three or two out of the three and compare performances across the three tournaments.

I am sure if you take it weight class by weight class, a strong argument can be made which is tougher at the weight class level.

From an overall WV ranking level, the OVAC created the least needed ranking changes. Part of this is due to it having the least amount of WV teams of the three. The WSAZ brought on the most ranking changes. Many #1 ranked wrestlers got taken out of the #1 spot at the WSAZ.

I would say that WSAZ was toughest per individual weight classes this year and ALSO by far the most difficult to attend/view/ follow from a fan’s perspective.
Don’t get me started on that.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:58 pm

I believe Lucas magnani of st Anthony’s New York won 4 winners choice outstanding wrestler awards for lower weights

Opin83d

Postby Opin83d » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:05 pm

WSAZ Choice
Johnson 1st 1st
Phillips. 2nd. 7th
Anderson 6th. 4th
Salmons. 7th. DNP
Mccomas 1st. 2nd
Jojo high. 2nd. 5th
Godby. 4. 4
Carrodus. 5. 6
Hess. 7th. 3rd
knight. 2. 3
Inboden. 4. 8
Roark. 5. 2
mcafee. 4. 1st
Bailes. 6. 2
Martin. 2. 1st
Harris. 4. 7th
Murphy. 4. 7
Pomeroy. 8. 8
Judah. 1st. 1st
Ozborne. 3. 1st
James. 5. 2
Wheeler. 8. 5
Edge. 2. 2
Wills 3. 5
Middleton. 4. 6
Caron. 3. 2
Giompalo. 2. 1
Shockey. 3. 2
Helm. 2. 6
Morris. 3. 3
Worstel. 4. 5
Mullins. 5. 4
Allen. 7. 7
summers. 1. 1
Mccan. 2. 4
Isom. 4. 3
Arthur. 5. 2
Naylor. 8. 5

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:57 am

Bearhugger wrote:
Bearhug wrote:

First of all, I have read everything posted on here all year and I did not get any feeling that The WSAZ was being touted above the other two tournaments. A reference to back up the original premise that anyone stated that one tournament was "leaps and bounds" above the other this year would be needed to even warrant this discussion from that standpoint. Otherwise this discussion is possibly ludicrous. I believe Bearhugger has encouraged teams to sign up for the WSAZ because of its size and willingness to take on almost all comers. Just saying that one tournament is good does not put down any other tournament.
I was personally at all three tournaments this year, not that that necessarily makes my opinion better than just reading the results. Someone has posted a comparison of placers at both Winnner's Choice and WSAZ. I would say that where the OVAC historically has been tough, it has declined a little because of the abscence of the dominant Oak Glen and John Marshall teams and a decrease in the depth of quality wrestlers in the Ohio teams. I'm not sure if there has been a population decrease in a lot of the small schools in Ohio and their communities that has lead to this or just a decine in the interest in wrestling. As far as Winner's Choice, Fairmont Senior has a tough team from top to bottom and they along with Spring Mills certainly made that tournament tough. A big difference at the WSAZ was the addition of the out of state teams (Roselle Park from NJ, Stauton River and Skyline from VA, and Commodore Perry from PA) compared to just Waynesburg at Winner's Choice. As far as comparing 4 time winners, the problem is that a lot of quality teams and wrestlers do not attend Winner's Choice and WSAZ on 4 consecutive years, whereas the OVAC is a conference and does have a much greater increase in chances of having 4 time winners. Despite that they are rare.

aacoach61

Postby aacoach61 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:07 pm

All three tournaments are rigorous, but…the OVAC conference is the largest of its kind in the country. Some 50 member high schools with over 18,000 student athletes. The conference just added three large Ohio schools: Dover, New Philadelphia and Warren.

Link to list of OVAC schools: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Vall ... Conference

The OVAC has the history in wrestling (69 years) and the organization and pageantry (arena and telecast) and is always adding more schools to the two-state conference. The OVAC wrestling tournament brings back all its champions at their 25th anniversary.

The OVAC recently produced a 4X D-1 All American at North Carolina State, Tariq Wilson of Steubenville, as well as arguably WVU’s best current wrestler, Peyton Hall from Oak Glen.

I agree Winner’s Choice is a very tough venue. I had the honor of coaching the tournament’s OW a while ago at the armory and have great memories of the event. The WSAZ attracts a lot of fresh out-of-state competition and is always exciting.

But, the OVAC wrestling tournament is in a class of its own.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:42 am

WSAZ is by far the easiest ... To get disqualified from

Saw a wrestler get a flagrant and disqualified for saying a bad word at the WSAZ. Reminiscent of the WV State Tournament last year.
Strangely, the same official did not disqualify nor even penalize a wrestler for saying the same bad word repeatedly at OVAC. When another coach counted the times the f bomb had been dropped, the official sternly instructed to him to stop (the counting coach, not the cussing rassler). Teachable moment but I am not sure the lesson being taught.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:12 pm

aacoach61 wrote:All three tournaments are rigorous, but…the OVAC conference is the largest of its kind in the country. Some 50 member high schools with over 18,000 student athletes. The conference just added three large Ohio schools: Dover, New Philadelphia and Warren.

Link to list of OVAC schools: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Vall ... Conference

The OVAC has the history in wrestling (69 years) and the organization and pageantry (arena and telecast) and is always adding more schools to the two-state conference. The OVAC wrestling tournament brings back all its champions at their 25th anniversary.

The OVAC recently produced a 4X D-1 All American at North Carolina State, Tariq Wilson of Steubenville, as well as arguably WVU’s best current wrestler, Peyton Hall from Oak Glen.

I agree Winner’s Choice is a very tough venue. I had the honor of coaching the tournament’s OW a while ago at the armory and have great memories of the event. The WSAZ attracts a lot of fresh out-of-state competition and is always exciting.

But, the OVAC wrestling tournament is in a class of its own.

OVAC is great, but some years WSAZ is more difficult. Certainly years like this one where some OVAC teams are available to attend it. Adding South, Univ, etc gives it a nice boost.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:55 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Bearhug wrote:

Gage Wright got put out of wrestling at the Winner's Choice this season.

By saying Wright was “put out of wrestling” do you mean he was beaten or injured? If he was beaten then who was it?

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:39 am

mscoach57 wrote:WSAZ is by far the easiest ... To get disqualified from

Saw a wrestler get a flagrant and disqualified for saying a bad word at the WSAZ. Reminiscent of the WV State Tournament last year.
Strangely, the same official did not disqualify nor even penalize a wrestler for saying the same bad word repeatedly at OVAC. When another coach counted the times the f bomb had been dropped, the official sternly instructed to him to stop (the counting coach, not the cussing rassler). Teachable moment but I am not sure the lesson being taught.

That same official “ tossed “ a disgruntled fan/parent out of the arena ( deservedly so), but then told the rather obese angry parent to “ pull up your pants as u go”.. all said with a grin as if to mock said parent.
The parent was very angry because his kid had been returned to the mat in an illegal manner but went way too far with his comments…
The parent was wrong but the official should have skipped the demeaning reference to the gentleman’s sloppy attire.

Return to “High School Wrestling”