AA/A ranked wrestlers per region

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
wrestling00

Re: AA/A ranked wrestlers per region

Postby wrestling00 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:04 pm

Since there has been complaints that region 1 is too tough which i agree with i feel as they should take the teams that are in the counties and put them in one of the four regions since this would split up the guys who would constantly wrestle each other all year round and regionals and have them split up and having evened out regions for example marion county has 3 wrestling teams you could send NM and EF to a different region seperatly and do the same with the other counties to have it evened out and the guys would wrestle each other often with the confernce tourney feel like its a better idea than redrafting just a thought.

WV Bub

Postby WV Bub » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:57 pm

I would move the following teams around.

Berkeley Springs from Region 1 to 2
Keyser from Region 1 to 2
Frankfort from Region 1 to 2
Doddridge from Region 2 to 1
Ritchie from Region 2 to 1
Grafton from Region 2 to 1
Roane from Region 2 to 4
Gimler from Region 4 to 2

Campion

Postby Campion » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:32 pm

Didn't 10 of the 14 AA/A Champions come from Region 4 last year?

wre157

Postby wre157 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:20 pm

Campion wrote:Didn't 10 of the 14 AA/A Champions come from Region 4 last year?

Yes, and they only placed 18 wrestlers total at the state tournament while region 1 placed 31 wrestlers. This whole post is about the difficulties qualifying for states and depth of region 1 compared to the other 3 regions.

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:37 pm

Ok, it has been determined that Region 1 is by far the hardest region to qualify in the last couple years. Enough said. This has not always been this way. First, they screwed up the regions on the last realignment. Roane going to Region 2, Berkeley Springs going to Region 1, etc. etc., Don't even want to discuss Region 4 AAA.
Next, as far as domination besides Independence that has remained a power in AA-A, only Oak Glen and Point Pleasant that both dropped from AAA to AA has dominated the field. Calhoun had a nice run in Single A before the split of awarding the Class A title, now Greenbrier West excels.
This topic is just a repeat of years past, only different teams, different regions. And it will continue to change as time moves on.

aacoach160

Postby aacoach160 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:42 am

coach_stump wrote:Ok, it has been determined that Region 1 is by far the hardest region to qualify in the last couple years. Enough said. This has not always been this way. First, they screwed up the regions on the last realignment. Roane going to Region 2, Berkeley Springs going to Region 1, etc. etc., Don't even want to discuss Region 4 AAA.
Next, as far as domination besides Independence that has remained a power in AA-A, only Oak Glen and Point Pleasant that both dropped from AAA to AA has dominated the field. Calhoun had a nice run in Single A before the split of awarding the Class A title, now Greenbrier West excels.
This topic is just a repeat of years past, only different teams, different regions. And it will continue to change as time moves on.

THANK YOU Coach Stump for inserting some logic into this discussion. The ones that are complaining about Region 1 being "too hard" failed to provide any examples of how the regions should be realigned to make them more "fair". Just another reason to whine and complain about something.

Weir_Coach

Postby Weir_Coach » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:54 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Wrestlers with losing records making the state tournament is exactly why there should be just one class. The state is watered down enough

Amen!

aacoach21

Postby aacoach21 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:50 am

A fix would be a tournament between regionals and state being a last chance qualifier. So each region would only take the top 3 from each region. those placing 4th would get the 1-4 spots with a pill draw. 5th would get the 5-8 spots and 6th place would get the 9-12 spots in the last chance qualifier and everyone else is seeded based on head to head, common opponents, and record but not bumping any of the top 12 seeds. Then the best 4 from that tournament gets in to the state tournament with a second phil draw. This would solve a team that has a kid that gets 5thand would be it get in to help the team where another region may have a really weak class of kids where it has happened and the number 4 from one regions pins the number 1 from another and the number 5 kid from that same region only lost to the 5 in over time by take. Plus there would never be any forfeits at the state tournament.

Chadt

Postby Chadt » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:56 pm

Why not eliminate all the BS and controversy. Change the limit of qualifiers from each region from 4 to top 6 in each class. Make the brackets bigger at states. More qualify. Then at states all wrestlers are in 1 division. There’s no division of AAA-AA-A. Then there will be a true state champion

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:22 am

Bearhug wrote:They've never been balanced, if Point Pleasant or Independence were in Region 1 the last 10 years, I'd love to know how many wrestlers they would've brought to Huntington year in and year out. And yes I'm saying the southern regions are weaker than hell

This analysis has been done in previous years. I figure for every state place winner Point Pleasant and Independence has had, they would have qualified out of region 1. Why? Because they beat all or some of the region 1 wrestlers in order to place in the state tournament.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Jenny Sacks Mole

Postby Jenny Sacks Mole » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:23 am

coach_stump wrote:Ok, it has been determined that Region 1 is by far the hardest region to qualify in the last couple years. Enough said. This has not always been this way. First, they screwed up the regions on the last realignment. Roane going to Region 2, Berkeley Springs going to Region 1, etc. etc., Don't even want to discuss Region 4 AAA.

It's been easy for a school like Indy or Point (mainly Point) to dominate at states because they send their full line up every year compared to whomever is the best school in region 1. Region 4 is Point and that's it, literally no one else at all.

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:08 pm

Jenny Sacks Mole wrote:

It's been easy for a school like Indy or Point (mainly Point) to dominate at states because they send their full line up every year compared to whomever is the best school in region 1. Region 4 is Point and that's it, literally no one else at all.

Ouch. I guess i will chime in. But before anyone says something like "you arent from region 1 you wont understand" I am. I am a coach (volunteer Assistant so take me with a grain of salt) at a Region 1 school. Additionally, back when my son was in school he was drastically impacted by the depth in the region. It was covid year so even with a shortened schedule he happened to compete against and pin the 2nd place representative from each of the other 3 regions that season. At regionals he took 1 ill advised shot against the wrong kid and fell to the consi bracket too early in a very deep field losing to the eventual 4th in the state by 1 and didn't make the trip to Huntington as a senior. Would he have placed? I like to think so but we didnt get to find out. So believe me when I say I get it. Side note to the side note, it hurt him for a while but is doing quite well now. It is tough to see at the time and hurts deeply in the moment but it will be ok.

Back to the topic
Yes there is some disparity in depth in regions agree 100%. Also agree there needs to be some changes. I've heard that there is going to be an update next year. I don't know what that update will be as i am just going off what the scuttlebutt was amongst coaches.

What i did have whispered to me. As we know next year Wrestling will not be going to the AAAA-A system. But there could/should/likely will be changes to who is AAA, AA and A. The committee that is making the proposal(s) is well aware of the current differences between depth in the regions so hopefully they can make some meaningful changes.

Next year, if the proposal is solid and is accepted it can make a difference and provide some parity in depth across all regions. One reagon may still be deeper, but hopefully they at least have regions that are actually regional, geographically.

BUT... To say Point dominates because of this is a stretch. Nerdy Math Time: The most points a wrestler can score in a tournament, if they pinned every opponent is 30
(2+2)+(2+2+3)+(2+2+9)+(4+2). The biggest point scorer Point had was at 144 with 29.5 (so impressive btw)

Point won the title by 41 points. That means you can take away their biggest point scorer out and they still win. Taking that a step further. If you took away their largest point scorer, took away their wrestlers who didn't place AND any wrestler who placed lower than all 4 Region 1 wrestlers. They still won by 5.5 points. yes there is an argument that in that scenario the 2nd place team could score more points but again we are already taking out a champ who pinned 3 wrestlers and teched another so it is more than accounted for.

What that coaching staff and athletes are doing down there is great and they deserve praise and congratulations. They aren't good because they are in a "weak" region. One could argue it is in spite of, if the region is "weak" this means they have to travel out of the region to get competition. Part of the reason we see so much depth in Region 1 is the kids there are getting competition surrounding states Like PA and Ohio. The good get better by going after tougher competition and chasing losses in the season.

Additionally the State Runner-up from A is from the same region as Point so I dont think saying "no one" else is in that region is fair either.

Hopefully the proposal goes the way it is being discussed and we can get to a point where there aren't 4 of the 5 most recently commented threads are basically the same topic. Then we can go back to talking about some other wrestling topics. ;)

Weir_Coach

Postby Weir_Coach » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:56 pm

mscoach106 wrote:
Jenny Sacks Mole wrote:

Ouch. I guess i will chime in. But before anyone says something like "you arent from region 1 you wont understand" I am. I am a coach (volunteer Assistant so take me with a grain of salt) at a Region 1 school. Additionally, back when my son was in school he was drastically impacted by the depth in the region. It was covid year so even with a shortened schedule he happened to compete against and pin the 2nd place representative from each of the other 3 regions that season. At regionals he took 1 ill advised shot against the wrong kid and fell to the consi bracket too early in a very deep field losing to the eventual 4th in the state by 1 and didn't make the trip to Huntington as a senior. Would he have placed? I like to think so but we didnt get to find out. So believe me when I say I get it. Side note to the side note, it hurt him for a while but is doing quite well now. It is tough to see at the time and hurts deeply in the moment but it will be ok.

Back to the topic
Yes there is some disparity in depth in regions agree 100%. Also agree there needs to be some changes. I've heard that there is going to be an update next year. I don't know what that update will be as i am just going off what the scuttlebutt was amongst coaches.

What i did have whispered to me. As we know next year Wrestling will not be going to the AAAA-A system. But there could/should/likely will be changes to who is AAA, AA and A. The committee that is making the proposal(s) is well aware of the current differences between depth in the regions so hopefully they can make some meaningful changes.

Next year, if the proposal is solid and is accepted it can make a difference and provide some parity in depth across all regions. One reagon may still be deeper, but hopefully they at least have regions that are actually regional, geographically.

BUT... To say Point dominates because of this is a stretch. Nerdy Math Time: The most points a wrestler can score in a tournament, if they pinned every opponent is 30
(2+2)+(2+2+3)+(2+2+9)+(4+2). The biggest point scorer Point had was at 144 with 29.5 (so impressive btw)

Point won the title by 41 points. That means you can take away their biggest point scorer out and they still win. Taking that a step further. If you took away their largest point scorer, took away their wrestlers who didn't place AND any wrestler who placed lower than all 4 Region 1 wrestlers. They still won by 5.5 points. yes there is an argument that in that scenario the 2nd place team could score more points but again we are already taking out a champ who pinned 3 wrestlers and teched another so it is more than accounted for.

What that coaching staff and athletes are doing down there is great and they deserve praise and congratulations. They aren't good because they are in a "weak" region. One could argue it is in spite of, if the region is "weak" this means they have to travel out of the region to get competition. Part of the reason we see so much depth in Region 1 is the kids there are getting competition surrounding states Like PA and Ohio. The good get better by going after tougher competition and chasing losses in the season.

Additionally the State Runner-up from A is from the same region as Point so I dont think saying "no one" else is in that region is fair either.

Hopefully the proposal goes the way it is being discussed and we can get to a point where there aren't 4 of the 5 most recently commented threads are basically the same topic. Then we can go back to talking about some other wrestling topics. ;)

Your top teams aren't going to be affected as often with the imbalance of regions. It's the middle-of-the-road teams that are most affected. For example, Keyser dominated Braxton in a dual at Grafton Duals, but Braxton got 4th at States because they took many wrestlers that they would not have taken if they were in Region 1. Keyser, on the other hand, finished 9th behind three teams that were not in Region 1. The team scores are heavily skewed once you get outside the top 3. Of course, Point Pleasant would have won Region 1. They were the best team in the state. They are the exception. But several Region 1 teams didn't qualify half as many wrestlers as they would have if they were in any other region.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:38 pm

Weir_Coach wrote:
mscoach106 wrote:
Jenny Sacks Mole wrote:

Back to the topic

Your top teams aren't going to be affected as often with the imbalance of regions. It's the middle-of-the-road teams that are most affected. For example, Keyser dominated Braxton in a dual at Grafton Duals, but Braxton got 4th at States because they took many wrestlers that they would not have taken if they were in Region 1. Keyser, on the other hand, finished 9th behind three teams that were not in Region 1. The team scores are heavily skewed once you get outside the top 3. Of course, Point Pleasant would have won Region 1. They were the best team in the state. They are the exception. But several Region 1 teams didn't qualify half as many wrestlers as they would have if they were in any other region.

The qualification for the WV State Duals is also region based. Braxton made it to the state duals and Keyser did not.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

RegionOne_fan

Postby RegionOne_fan » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:33 pm

Keyser was not part of the 4 teams that competed to represent region 1 for the state duals. It was Fairmont Sr., East Fairmont, OG and Tyler. East Fairmont backed out last minute due to kids being sick. Had Keyser been able to step in, they could very well have made the top two given their line up.

TheBoxer

Postby TheBoxer » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:02 pm

RegionOne_fan wrote:Keyser was not part of the 4 teams that competed to represent region 1 for the state duals. It was Fairmont Sr., East Fairmont, OG and Tyler. East Fairmont backed out last minute due to kids being sick. Had Keyser been able to step in, they could very well have made the top two given their line up.

How Does A/AA R1 pick who competed? i thought it was based on previous season's regional results if looking at that shouldnt it have been FS, BS, OG & EF?

RegionOne_fan

Postby RegionOne_fan » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:10 pm

TheBoxer wrote:
RegionOne_fan wrote:Keyser was not part of the 4 teams that competed to represent region 1 for the state duals. It was Fairmont Sr., East Fairmont, OG and Tyler. East Fairmont backed out last minute due to kids being sick. Had Keyser been able to step in, they could very well have made the top two given their line up.

How Does A/AA R1 pick who competed? i thought it was based on previous season's regional results if looking at that shouldnt it have been FS, BS, OG & EF?

I'm not totally sure to be honest. I think BS chose not to, so next team down was asked.

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:50 pm

RegionOne_fan wrote:
TheBoxer wrote:

I'm not totally sure to be honest. I think BS chose not to, so next team down was asked.

well yes and no. the Quad was held when we were having our home tournament more of a "this is when the quad is happening can you make it?"
BUT the 2 best teams from our region were there and both represented very well!

Return to “High School Wrestling”