New Classification

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhug

New Classification

Postby Bearhug » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:39 am

In March the SSAC is meeting to look into making Football and other sports into 4 classes. There's a great possibility they're going to keep the State Wrestling Tournament into 2 classes but with AAAA-AAA & AA-A. If this happens, it'll definitely change the landscape of wrestling. For Example, Point Pleasant and Fairmont Senior are both large AA schools, they're most likely to fall into AAA.... Things are going to get interesting.

standincoach

Re: New Classification

Postby standincoach » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:25 pm

Having multiple classes definitely diminishes things, look at VA, 6 classes and 6 championships per sport.

How about reconfigure the way the current classes are and not allow schools to play the number games to fit whatever it is they want.
Last edited by standincoach on Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:44 pm

standincoach wrote:Having multiple classes definitely diminishes things, look at VA, 6 classes and 6 championships per sport.

How about reconfigure the way the current classes are and not allow schools to play the number games to fit whatever it is they want.

I think 4 classes is needed in football, however I'm all for less classes in sports like Wrestling and Track. If they do it the way I've been hearing, wrestling will still be just two classes.

HiCoach

Postby HiCoach » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:34 pm

WV HS wrestling needs 4 divisions. You will still have your two brackets like now. The only difference will be it will balance things out much better. right now some AAA region brackets have 5 wrestlers. A/AA regions have up to 18 teams in them. You can look at the numbers and easily figure out how to balance both brackets for regionals and state. Is it more fair for single A teams like Wirt Co. to wrestle teams like Fairmont/Point, or would it be more fair for those schools to wrestle AAA schools? Pretty clear answer to me. Not to mention, the state tournament hasn't changed since 1976. Every other sport has made changes and altercations to improve their sport. Also to be all-state in wrestling you have to win it all. It is the only sport in WV (besides swimming with by far the fewest participating schools) where there are combined divisions AND you have to win the whole thing to be all state. Without a doubt, it is unfair for the smaller schools to excel in wrestling anymore. In 2000 there were 35 A/AA schools and last year we had 46. I know most bigger schools won't agree with this because they think it would be "watered down", but this would be the way to expand the sport in our state. Isn't that one of our goals as coaches and fans? You would still have your best of the best. And they would still have chances to see each other (WSAZ, Winners Choice, etc) best in each class. The numbers are out there and everyone can do their own research. But after doing some research and conversing with other Single A coaches, a single A wrestler only has a 36% chance of making it to the state tournament. Once that 36% makes it, they only have a 28% chance of placing top 6 (which isn't all-state unless 1st). NO OTHER WV SINGLE A SPORT HAS LESS ALL-STATES THAN WRESTLING! IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE.

Dockers

Postby Dockers » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:28 am

You are an all state wrestler if you are on the podium. I have never heard you are ONLY an all state wrestler if you are a state champion. That is absurd!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:02 pm

HiCoach wrote:WV HS wrestling needs 4 divisions. You will still have your two brackets like now. The only difference will be it will balance things out much better. right now some AAA region brackets have 5 wrestlers. A/AA regions have up to 18 teams in them. You can look at the numbers and easily figure out how to balance both brackets for regionals and state. Is it more fair for single A teams like Wirt Co. to wrestle teams like Fairmont/Point, or would it be more fair for those schools to wrestle AAA schools? Pretty clear answer to me. Not to mention, the state tournament hasn't changed since 1976. Every other sport has made changes and altercations to improve their sport. Also to be all-state in wrestling you have to win it all. It is the only sport in WV (besides swimming with by far the fewest participating schools) where there are combined divisions AND you have to win the whole thing to be all state. Without a doubt, it is unfair for the smaller schools to excel in wrestling anymore. In 2000 there were 35 A/AA schools and last year we had 46. I know most bigger schools won't agree with this because they think it would be "watered down", but this would be the way to expand the sport in our state. Isn't that one of our goals as coaches and fans? You would still have your best of the best. And they would still have chances to see each other (WSAZ, Winners Choice, etc) best in each class. The numbers are out there and everyone can do their own research. But after doing some research and conversing with other Single A coaches, a single A wrestler only has a 36% chance of making it to the state tournament. Once that 36% makes it, they only have a 28% chance of placing top 6 (which isn't all-state unless 1st). NO OTHER WV SINGLE A SPORT HAS LESS ALL-STATES THAN WRESTLING! IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE.

A much simpler change that could be made is to just make it that all the wrestlers who enter their AA/A regional tournament be declared All State. Doing it the way you are suggesting would make many wrestlers All State in the A classification who were maybe the 20th best wrestler in their weight class in the state, while slighting every one else in the A clssification. Most, if not all, bigger schools could care less as far as how the classification system works. Deep down inside I'm sure all the wrestlers who are now going to be All State will realize it was manufactured for their benefit.

HiCoach

Postby HiCoach » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:07 pm

Dockers wrote:You are an all state wrestler if you are on the podium. I have never heard you are ONLY an all state wrestler if you are a state champion. That is absurd!

Im not sure what school you went to, but every school I have been to or coaches I have talked to all say the same thing. You're only All-State if you win your weight class. Almost every school has an area of "All-Staters" pictures hung up somewhere and it is only those wrestlers who won, not podium finishers.

HiCoach

Postby HiCoach » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:16 pm

KDunbar wrote:
HiCoach wrote:WV HS wrestling needs 4 divisions. You will still have your two brackets like now. The only difference will be it will balance things out much better. right now some AAA region brackets have 5 wrestlers. A/AA regions have up to 18 teams in them. You can look at the numbers and easily figure out how to balance both brackets for regionals and state. Is it more fair for single A teams like Wirt Co. to wrestle teams like Fairmont/Point, or would it be more fair for those schools to wrestle AAA schools? Pretty clear answer to me. Not to mention, the state tournament hasn't changed since 1976. Every other sport has made changes and altercations to improve their sport. Also to be all-state in wrestling you have to win it all. It is the only sport in WV (besides swimming with by far the fewest participating schools) where there are combined divisions AND you have to win the whole thing to be all state. Without a doubt, it is unfair for the smaller schools to excel in wrestling anymore. In 2000 there were 35 A/AA schools and last year we had 46. I know most bigger schools won't agree with this because they think it would be "watered down", but this would be the way to expand the sport in our state. Isn't that one of our goals as coaches and fans? You would still have your best of the best. And they would still have chances to see each other (WSAZ, Winners Choice, etc) best in each class. The numbers are out there and everyone can do their own research. But after doing some research and conversing with other Single A coaches, a single A wrestler only has a 36% chance of making it to the state tournament. Once that 36% makes it, they only have a 28% chance of placing top 6 (which isn't all-state unless 1st). NO OTHER WV SINGLE A SPORT HAS LESS ALL-STATES THAN WRESTLING! IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE.

A much simpler change that could be made is to just make it that all the wrestlers who enter their AA/A regional tournament be declared All State. Doing it the way you are suggesting would make many wrestlers All State in the A classification who were maybe the 20th best wrestler in their weight class in the state, while slighting every one else in the A clssification. Most, if not all, bigger schools could care less as far as how the classification system works. Deep down inside I'm sure all the wrestlers who are now going to be All State will realize it was manufactured for their benefit.

You must've misunderstood. I am suggesting the same 2 bracket system that is used at state now, but making one bracket A/AA and the other AAA/AAAA. this simply takes the top half AA schools now up to AAA, and most AAA teams now up to AAAA. If you do that, I guarantee you that ANY state champ (all-state) in A/AA would not be 20th in that weight across the 4 classes. There are a few weights where some A/AA wrestlers would beat AAA/AAAA. But that is usually the exception. For the rest of the small schools with solid wrestlers, it is totally unfair to compete with teams that have double their school or team size. At the end of the day, AAA gets the easy way out. The AAA region is a waste of time. Check the regional map. 32 AAA on a given year. 64 A/AA in a given year.

Dockers

Postby Dockers » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:25 pm

So if we use your logic on All-State, let’s look at All-American in college. So if you place second through eighth, you just place, you’re not an all American! Do you have to win a national championship to be an All-American? That makes no sense. If you place, you’re an All-State wrestler or you’re an All-American wrestler.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:38 pm

With new classifications should come new regions. New equates to change. Change equates to opportunities to fix and improve. Let's do a better job.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:38 pm

HiCoach wrote:For the rest of the small schools with solid wrestlers, it is totally unfair to compete with teams that have double their school or team size... At the end of the day, AAA gets the easy way out. The AAA region is a waste of time. Check the regional map. 32 AAA on a given year. 64 A/AA in a given year.

You seem to be saying two different things. In one breath it is unfair to compete (in an individual sport) against larger schools. Then you contend that because of the lesser number of teams per region, AAA is an easier route to the State Podium. I am not sure which small school you affiliate yourself with but your school has the option to notify the WVSSAC that they would like to compete in a higher classification (AAA) for the 23-24 season.

As for all state classification, it appears that your quarrel is one of semantics with your local athletic director. The AD of your school can call the athletes anything he or she wants. Some schools only put state champs and 1st team all state selections in various sports on the wall. Apparently others put everyone on the wall who received honorable mention in bowling. Who's right? I don't know. Can't imagine anyone other than a few parents of someone who didn't get first team all state really care. But if you're someone who cares, and it appears that you are, then use your influence to convince your athletic director that everyone on the podium should be on the wall. Similarly, every football player who received honorable mention should also be put on the wall. Fortunately for you, you can pull up the old podium photos from WVMAT to supply the pictures for this project for your school. Fill up the walls of your school with 6th place wrestlers from 1952, it doesn't hurt anything. Who knows, maybe their family will get excited about the ceremony you have planned and will give some money to the wrestling program!

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:48 pm

Dockers wrote:So if we use your logic on All-State, let’s look at All-American in college. So if you place second through eighth, you just place, you’re not an all American! Do you have to win a national championship to be an All-American? That makes no sense. If you place, you’re an All-State wrestler or you’re an All-American wrestler.

WV High Schools are free to put up pictures and honor anyone they choose to honor. I haven't seen many who hang photos of the honorable mention all state libero (Volleyball) or the special honorable mention extra point holder (football). For wrestling most seem to put up the pictures of the individual champions and a team champion photo. Calling the 2-6th place wrestlers second, third, fourth fifth, and sixth team all state is fine with me if that's how you want to identify them and I think it is up to the AD and the local community to decide how they want to honor the athletes. Similarly, some Colleges build a shrine to their all americans while others focus on their first team all americans and champions.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:42 pm

Things seem to have turned a little hostile. I think the poster was just expressing a sentiment that classes need to be divided a little more evenly based on numbers of teams. It's true that the large class division has half as many schools and it is true that the smallest schools have a much harder time competing for team titles in the current A-AA bracket. With the move to 4 classes in some other sports, it's not unreasonable for someone to propose that the larger 2As move up and we do a 1A-2A bracket and a 3A-4A bracket for our state tournament. You can disagree, but I thought he laid out his argument and made his point. Too much shouting people down when you don't like what they say. As far as the "all-state" thing, I assume the poster was expressing frustration that state champs for small schools are getting harder to come by. I suppose some schools might consider placewinners as all-state, but that's up to the individual school's athletic policy. I know of no school that recognizes anyone on their wall of fame other than champions in their respective sport. At my school, we have a separate board that displays placewinners each year, but we have never referred to our placewinners as all-state. But I don't think the poster deserves ridiculed over his statements on that either. If I'm correct, I'm willing to bet the poster's school has had more state champs than most other small schools has ever thought about, so he's just trying to advocate for the small school class. I don't fault him for that.

HiCoach

Postby HiCoach » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:10 am

aacoach70 wrote:Things seem to have turned a little hostile. I think the poster was just expressing a sentiment that classes need to be divided a little more evenly based on numbers of teams. It's true that the large class division has half as many schools and it is true that the smallest schools have a much harder time competing for team titles in the current A-AA bracket. With the move to 4 classes in some other sports, it's not unreasonable for someone to propose that the larger 2As move up and we do a 1A-2A bracket and a 3A-4A bracket for our state tournament. You can disagree, but I thought he laid out his argument and made his point. Too much shouting people down when you don't like what they say. As far as the "all-state" thing, I assume the poster was expressing frustration that state champs for small schools are getting harder to come by. I suppose some schools might consider placewinners as all-state, but that's up to the individual school's athletic policy. I know of no school that recognizes anyone on their wall of fame other than champions in their respective sport. At my school, we have a separate board that displays placewinners each year, but we have never referred to our placewinners as all-state. But I don't think the poster deserves ridiculed over his statements on that either. If I'm correct, I'm willing to bet the poster's school has had more state champs than most other small schools has ever thought about, so he's just trying to advocate for the small school class. I don't fault him for that.

Thank you Coach for understanding my whole point. Whether you agree with it or not, I am simply posting my opinion to a forum board (isn't that the whole point?). I like when it starts a healthy debate because sometimes that's when you get new and creative ideas. Im just advocating for what I believe in. Doesn't mean its right or wrong. But I stand by my word and do believe, one way or another there should be some change.

Oh and for anyone wondering, I am Tyler George, the head coach at Williamstown High School. Our school knows a little bit about state titles and all-state in every sport. I am simply trying to make it fair and balanced for everyone. If anyone has any other great points about this topic, feel free to call/text/email me so I can try to write up a proposal.

Tyler George
304-588-4726
tyler.george@k12.wv.us

standincoach

Postby standincoach » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:58 am

An obstacle of positive change might be that the rich have been rich and trying to stay rich. Why do I care about making a change when my program is known as a better program in the state, kids are going to college teams and have national tournament participation. Why do I want or care about any changes that don’t continue to make me rich

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:09 am

Everybody needs to keep speaking up and sharing their ideas.

I know a few things about sharing ideas, encountering backlash and continuing to take a stand.

We are all walking into the regional tournament weekend and many are thinking TEAM, TEAM, TEAM.

Here are my predictions on your Regional team champions:

AAA:
R1 University
R2 Spring Mills
R3 Woodrow Wilson
R4 Parkersburg South

AA/A:
R1 Fairmont Senior
R2 Braxton County
R3 Independence
R4 Point Pleasant

These predictions are no brainers. We will see if they are 7/8 or 8/8 correct.

Its time to punch the individuals through in the individual sport.

Also, look over the brackets at regionals. Some schools have only one wrestler. Some schools have only 4 wrestlers. The sport will maintain or grow more as it trends toward individual focus rather than team focus. Again, the regional team championships have already been determined.

What is everybody else competing for?????

Good luck to all.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:43 pm

Tyler, (thank you for identifying yourself)
First, the comment was made by someone else that people were trying to shout you down. They also made the comment that replies to what you said were "hostile". I saw no hostile comments. Neither of those was what I was doing. I just disagree with some of what you are saying. Your post to me has about three facets
First, was the discussion that always occurs when schools are grouped in classifications according to size. There is always a discepancy from those smallest to those largest. But I believe that contrary to what you claimed, it is never "clear" as to what is right or best or fair. Morgantown is the largest school in AAA. Because wrestling is not as strong there it may be considered unfair for them to compete in AAA or for that matter even against Independence (population size 1800 to 574). Would it be more fair for Fairmont Senior to compete againts the largest AAA school who have 1000 more students than them versus your comparison of them to Wirt County, when they only have 515 fewer students. It is not clear and it depends just how good and strong wrestling is at a particular school. I know you know that from having been in wrestling against Oak Glen with 548 students along with my comparison of Independence and even Point Pleasant.

The second facet of your proposal was comments about regions. Here I think you are possibly accidentally bending the facts to make a point you believe to be valid. You made the statement there are only 5 wrestlers in some AAA brackets but then use the number of teams in AA/A regions of 18. One bracket in AA/A has only 6 wrestlers. Thus the numbers 5 and 18 are meaningless. In the regions out with brackets thus far (3 in AAA and 2 in AA/A) the average number of wrestlers per region in AAA comes to the equivalent of 6 2/3 teams per region compared to 10 3/8 teams per region in AA/A. That is less than a 4 wrestler per bracket difference and not the 13 that your comparison implied. It may sound condescending, but I'm guessing on average it is cetainly not easier to finish 3rd in AAA than it is in AA/A, or another way of saying it is wrestling the average 3rd place wrestler in AAA against the average 3rd place finisher in AA/A (as you have already made the suggestion that the smaller size schools leads to this inequity, on average). As far as Team championships, since A is seperated from AA, that is not an issue, although it is slightly less accurate when you mix the two of them together in a tournament (the same goes for AA if the Team race is really close). Of course if one would divide the classifications into 4 it would be easier for somebody to win the now extra team tiltle that didn't exist before. Now Standincoach has made a comment about the "rich wanting to stay rich" referring to the perennial wrestling schools. I don't know if he was referring to my comments since I am originally from South. However, I don't see where his comments make any sense on any level. First of all, as a bigger AAA school, I could care less who is added to AAA and would relish having Fairmont Senior and Point Pleasant to compete agaist at the state tournament. It also doesn't lessen anything or pose any threat to those schools in any way. And if one thinks that making it easer to be a state champion by moving better wrestlers up to another classification in any way improves a kids chance to wrestle in college, well that's just a crazy thought.

The third facet was actually the only one I was commenting on originally. I understood exactly what you were proposing. To me you were just lamenting that the competition to become a state champion was too hard and the solution was to move better wrestlers up to a different classification. You thought that was fair. I disagree. I think wrestling has already diminished as far as the depth of competition and this drop in the level has nothing to do with it being too hard to be a state champion in my opinion. Making it easier to be one does not make wrestling better from my point of view and I don't see that as the means to make it more appealing. Yes someone can say that the best A wrestlers can go to the mixed tournaments throughout the year to prove their worth. But they are saying that with the admission that being the new and improved AA/A state champion just doesn't have the same meaning as the one Tyler George achieved.

I don't know if I'm right. I do know that I am not resistant to change. It just how I feel. Anyone can feel free to comment negatively towards those thoughts. Just identify who you are and give me the same respect that I have given Tyler. I have not said his thought were wrong, but in some instances I felt they were somewhat inaccurate, as far as the actual numbers go.

mscoach152

Postby mscoach152 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:37 pm

Some are gonna benefit from this new classification and some will Lose. Some won’t matter really. In my opinion, if the schools get classified the same as listed, then the only teams that benefit are the A@AA teams. Winning a championship becomes much easier, having taken away most of the better programs. Teams like Fairmont Sr and Point, need to face the better competition at states. I like the new classification to an extent, but what needs to be reconsidered is what schools remain in the new AAA division. Such a large portion of the new AAA schools are currently sub par or par AA schools.

In my opinion, The best thing to do is keep two division. Go ahead and make 4 classes, but reconsider who is AAA. The average size/par/subpar programs that will be AAA can not be competitive in a state tournament against all of the 4A and big 3A schools. This will kill their programs. These teams that may send 1,2,3, or maybe 4 kids to the states in the current system, will seldomly send a kind to the states in the new system. If this was only affecting a couple teams then oh well, can’t be perfect for everyone, but damn, it’s very large portion of the AAA schools. Just move up the power house programs then leave the rest in the current division. That will let the small A schools be more competitive by taking away teams like Fairmont Sr who are large and have awesome teams, but keep the average to below average type schools in same division. It will kill their programs.

mscoach152

Postby mscoach152 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm

Only other option would be to either leave it as is or make 4 separate divisions.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:08 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Everybody needs to keep speaking up and sharing their ideas.

I know a few things about sharing ideas, encountering backlash and continuing to take a stand.

We are all walking into the regional tournament weekend and many are thinking TEAM, TEAM, TEAM.

Here are my predictions on your Regional team champions:

AAA:
R1 University
R2 Spring Mills
R3 Woodrow Wilson
R4 Parkersburg South

AA/A:
R1 Fairmont Senior
R2 Braxton County
R3 Independence
R4 Point Pleasant

These predictions are no brainers. We will see if they are 7/8 or 8/8 correct.

Its time to punch the individuals through in the individual sport.

Also, look over the brackets at regionals. Some schools have only one wrestler. Some schools have only 4 wrestlers. The sport will maintain or grow more as it trends toward individual focus rather than team focus. Again, the regional team championships have already been determined.

What is everybody else competing for?????

Good luck to all.

Point Pleasant won AA/A region 4.

Braxton and Fairmont Senior lead their regions after day 2.

More to come.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:52 am

mscoach152 wrote:Some are gonna benefit from this new classification and some will Lose. Some won’t matter really. In my opinion, if the schools get classified the same as listed, then the only teams that benefit are the A@AA teams. Winning a championship becomes much easier, having taken away most of the better programs. Teams like Fairmont Sr and Point, need to face the better competition at states. I like the new classification to an extent, but what needs to be reconsidered is what schools remain in the new AAA division. Such a large portion of the new AAA schools are currently sub par or par AA schools.

In my opinion, The best thing to do is keep two division. Go ahead and make 4 classes, but reconsider who is AAA. The average size/par/subpar programs that will be AAA can not be competitive in a state tournament against all of the 4A and big 3A schools. This will kill their programs. These teams that may send 1,2,3, or maybe 4 kids to the states in the current system, will seldomly send a kind to the states in the new system. If this was only affecting a couple teams then oh well, can’t be perfect for everyone, but damn, it’s very large portion of the AAA schools. Just move up the power house programs then leave the rest in the current division. That will let the small A schools be more competitive by taking away teams like Fairmont Sr who are large and have awesome teams, but keep the average to below average type schools in same division. It will kill their programs.

One problem with deciding to move just certain teams (besides the fact that it likely just can't be done) is that Fairmont Senior is not a perinnial wrestling pwerhouse and in a couple years may not be competetive with the larger schools. I'm not trashing them or anything, but their 10 year history at the State tournament (and this is AA/A) is as follows:
2013 7th
2014 5th
2015 13th
2016 12th
2017 11th
2018 19th
2019 8th
2020 3rd
2021 2nd
2022 2nd
Before everyone at Fairmont Senior hates me, I realize they may have a great youth program in place and intend to be at the top for many years to come. I'm just saying that some school's programs wax and wane often times.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:00 am

Wrestling and XC and so forth deal with the same ridiculous issue. We are divided into AA/A, but AA and A are then awarded a state title. I agree there should be a A Champion and a AA champion. However, if Braxton is in a region with Wahama, then a Wahama wrestler or XC athlete can knock out a Braxton athlete from the tournament (submit any AA or A school in as an example). Maybe that Braxton athlete would have won a few matches or placed a few spots higher in the XC race than a team like Midland Trail had. But, because Braxton no longer has that athlete to compete...then there really isn't a true team champion. Does that not make sense?

Same scenario but different sport:

Pikeview has 5 really good XC runners. However, Pikeview is in the region with Summers Co. So, a Summers Co kid knocks the Pikeview kid out of the state tournament. Now, Nicholas Co has an advantage in the state tournament....

I read that NC has an individual state tournament. Then, the top 10 teams that placed in that tournament go the next weekend and do a state championship dual tournament. Whoever wins that becomes the state champions in that division. Sounds like an easy way for A, AA, and AAA to determine their own classifications state champion

Wvcoltsfan

Postby Wvcoltsfan » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:28 pm

My opinion will be hated but here it is. THERE NEEDS TO BE 1 STATE CHAMPION. Only 1. Why does everyone need a trophy? WV girls state only has 1 state individual champion. WV girls state only has 1 state team champion. Someone is getting ready to tell me that more boys wrestle in WV than girls. Does WV have more HS boy wrestlers than California? California only has one state champion. Where does everyone want it to stop? Why stop at 4? There are 96 schools in WV with HS wrestling programs lets make 10 classifications.

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:45 pm

KDunbar wrote:
mscoach152 wrote:Some are gonna benefit from this new classification and some will Lose. Some won’t matter really. In my opinion, if the schools get classified the same as listed, then the only teams that benefit are the A@AA teams. Winning a championship becomes much easier, having taken away most of the better programs. Teams like Fairmont Sr and Point, need to face the better competition at states. I like the new classification to an extent, but what needs to be reconsidered is what schools remain in the new AAA division. Such a large portion of the new AAA schools are currently sub par or par AA schools.

One problem with deciding to move just certain teams (besides the fact that it likely just can't be done) is that Fairmont Senior is not a perinnial wrestling pwerhouse and in a couple years may not be competetive with the larger schools. I'm not trashing them or anything, but their 10 year history at the State tournament (and this is AA/A) is as follows:
2013 7th
2014 5th
2015 13th
2016 12th
2017 11th
2018 19th
2019 8th
2020 3rd
2021 2nd
2022 2nd
Before everyone at Fairmont Senior hates me, I realize they may have a great youth program in place and intend to be at the top for many years to come. I'm just saying that some school's programs wax and wane often times.

"is not a perinnial wrestling pwerhouse"

Fairmont Senior has
64 individual state champions (4th most in the entire state)
1 team title.
11 team runner ups.
5 former head coaches in the hall of fame

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:02 pm

KDunbar wrote:

2013 7th
2014 5th
2015 13th
2016 12th
2017 11th
2018 19th
2019 8th
2020 3rd
2021 2nd
2022 2nd

I am for a one class system. Crown a aaa AA and a team state champion. But to say fairmont senior had never been a powerhouse is nuts. [snip]

Return to “High School Wrestling”