Why is a topic locked?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
P.H.D.

Why is a topic locked?

Postby P.H.D. » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:12 am

Why? Dead horse beat too much? Feelings hurt? Hate speech? Lol that’s some funny stuff. Regarding making more classes in WV…It’s been said for years and thousands of times but California has one class. If you look at it from a population perspective, California (based on population) has 55 electoral votes in a presidential election. That is 1 less , I think, than the combination of Wv, Oh, Pa & Va. imagine if your kid had to fight thru that mix. I’m not sure my electoral college/high school wrestling theory works but just a silly thought. MSCoach57 will be quick to blow holes in my theory and exploit my identity with his IP finder app. Seriously tho. If you crown 4 state champs per weight a yr. Wv will become the D3 pipeline at best.

Jon Perkins

Re: Why is a topic locked?

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:21 pm

I believe the thought from the other thread was to still have two state champions per weight and to have one team champion per division, for a total of four team champions.

I would be in favor of the change. Adding more competition to the current AAA side would benefit everyone from a competitive stand point. And by eliminating some of the powerhouse teams from the current AA/A side, it may encourage more kids to come out for wrestling at the smaller schools.

HiCoach

Postby HiCoach » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:35 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:I believe the thought from the other thread was to still have two state champions per weight and to have one team champion per division, for a total of four team champions.

I would be in favor of the change. Adding more competition to the current AAA side would benefit everyone from a competitive stand point. And by eliminating some of the powerhouse teams from the current AA/A side, it may encourage more kids to come out for wrestling at the smaller schools.

Someone gets it!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:22 pm

HiCoach wrote:
Jon Perkins wrote:I believe the thought from the other thread was to still have two state champions per weight and to have one team champion per division, for a total of four team champions.

Someone gets it!!!

So the thought is that making it easier or more possible for a student at a smaller school to win a state championship will likely increase the participation. In other words, the feeling is that participation is down at the smaller schools to some significant part due this perceived unfairness. So right now there are around 37,359 students in AAA trying for 14 championship spots and there are around 37,774 students in AA/A trying for 14 championship spots. If we go to the mid point in the number of schools and make 4 classifications, then that is every school from Oak Glen up to a combined AAAA/AAA group and everybody from Liberty Harrison down into the AA/A group. Now participation will not be suppressed at the small schools by the prior overwhelming odds of being a state champion out of the before 37,774 students because the competition has been cut down to only 17,010 students. However, the students in AAAA/AAA are now competing for the same 14 championship spots, but no longer against around 37,000 students but against 58,123 students. But of course, based on the logic being used to support the value of this new classification system, the actual number students actually wrestling in this new AAAA/AAA division will be much smaller because participation will be down massively due to how hard it is to be a state champion in this new format. I also hope someone gets it.

Spladleman24

Postby Spladleman24 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:36 pm

PHD is right. The more divisions there are to compete in, the more watered down our state will become. There should be one division, considering our state population is relatively small. Wrestling is growing with the advent of the UFC and other mma organizations. Participation will continue to grow regardless if we have 4 divisions or only 1. But, if we want our state to become more competitive on a national level, it must start with having one state champion per weight class, certainly not 4.

standincoach

Postby standincoach » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:06 pm

Spladleman24 wrote:PHD is right. The more divisions there are to compete in, the more watered down our state will become. There should be one division, considering our state population is relatively small. Wrestling is growing with the advent of the UFC and other mma organizations. Participation will continue to grow regardless if we have 4 divisions or only 1. But, if we want our state to become more competitive on a national level, it must start with having one state champion per weight class, certainly not 4.

Well considering the UFC has been around for 30 years I doubt it has anything to do with anything.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:51 am

Spladleman24 wrote:PHD is right. The more divisions there are to compete in, the more watered down our state will become. There should be one division, considering our state population is relatively small. Wrestling is growing with the advent of the UFC and other mma organizations. Participation will continue to grow regardless if we have 4 divisions or only 1. But, if we want our state to become more competitive on a national level, it must start with having one state champion per weight class, certainly not 4.

Just to be fair to what is actually being said, even though I'm not for it, the idea being discussed is primarily just 4 team champions, and still 2 individual champions. Not 4 individual champions.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:01 pm

P.H.D. wrote:Why? Dead horse beat too much? Feelings hurt? Hate speech? Lol that’s some funny stuff. Regarding making more classes in WV…It’s been said for years and thousands of times but California has one class. If you look at it from a population perspective, California (based on population) has 55 electoral votes in a presidential election. That is 1 less , I think, than the combination of Wv, Oh, Pa & Va. imagine if your kid had to fight thru that mix. I’m not sure my electoral college/high school wrestling theory works but just a silly thought. MSCoach57 will be quick to blow holes in my theory and exploit my identity with his IP finder app. Seriously tho. If you crown 4 state champs per weight a yr. Wv will become the D3 pipeline at best.

Nope. I agree with you. Your son would have excelled in a one division state like California. You raised a great young man who has never sought to water down competition. My memory may be wrong but at one point he was the only one from his small school to participate in the Ironman tournament. It may disturb some adults to learn that the Ironman hosts some schools with greater than 5,000 students enrolled, but that didn't scare PHD's son because he understood that he was only wrestling one of them at a time.

I don't know if 4 classes will make WV a D3 pipeline but the 6 division system in Virginia is only good for a few things:
1. Increased trophy/medal sales
2. Increased recognition of part time wrestlers
3. Forcing wrestling fans to choose between seeing some of their favorite wrestlers (state tournaments are in different locations).

I do not know if the VA system has resulted in greater participation numbers.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:24 pm

mscoach57 wrote:
P.H.D. wrote:Why? Dead horse beat too much? Feelings hurt? Hate speech? Lol that’s some funny stuff. Regarding making more classes in WV…It’s been said for years and thousands of times but California has one class. If you look at it from a population perspective, California (based on population) has 55 electoral votes in a presidential election. That is 1 less , I think, than the combination of Wv, Oh, Pa & Va. imagine if your kid had to fight thru that mix. I’m not sure my electoral college/high school wrestling theory works but just a silly thought. MSCoach57 will be quick to blow holes in my theory and exploit my identity with his IP finder app. Seriously tho. If you crown 4 state champs per weight a yr. Wv will become the D3 pipeline at best.

Nope. I agree with you. Your son would have excelled in a one division state like California. You raised a great young man who has never sought to water down competition. My memory may be wrong but at one point he was the only one from his small school to participate in the Ironman tournament. It may disturb some adults to learn that the Ironman hosts some schools with greater than 5,000 students enrolled, but that didn't scare PHD's son because he understood that he was only wrestling one of them at a time.

I don't know if 4 classes will make WV a D3 pipeline but the 6 division system in Virginia is only good for a few things:
1. Increased trophy/medal sales
2. Increased recognition of part time wrestlers
3. Forcing wrestling fans to choose between seeing some of their favorite wrestlers (state tournaments are in different locations).

I do not know if the VA system has resulted in greater participation numbers.

I appreciate the compliments. My boy worked hard and we smoked a half dozen new vehicles getting there but we have zero regrets and would not change one thing. My boy’s sophomore yr he was 126# but the coaches wanted him at 132# for more competitive season. We agreed and it only cost 1 OVAC title but made his season much tougher and rewarding . That’s what you want is competition not easy matches and trophy’s. You can lie to the grandkids without trophy’s. I’d like to see WVU grow into a top 10 or better team consistently with homegrown wrestlers and Oh and Pa kids praying to be accepted.

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:29 am

To Answer the original question KDunbar said Fairmont Senior has never been a powerhouse of a program and people started going after him. But the guy is completely wrong. Fairmont Senior, as well as East Fairmont, and North Marion have all shown dominance in the sport. Wood County has the most state champions in the state followed by Marion County.

As I said before:

Fairmont Senior has the 4th Most State Champions (64)
1 team Title
11 Runner Ups
5 coaches in the HoF.

If there were ever one high school in Fairmont this whole time, the stats would be even more deeper.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:15 am

standincoach wrote:

Well considering the UFC has been around for 30 years I doubt it has anything to do with anything.

Agreed

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:18 am

Bearhug wrote:To Answer the original question KDunbar said Fairmont Senior has never been a powerhouse of a program and people started going after him. But the guy is completely wrong. Fairmont Senior, as well as East Fairmont, and North Marion have all shown dominance in the sport. Wood County has the most state champions in the state followed by Marion County.

As I said before:

1 team Title
11 Runner Ups
5 coaches in the HoF.

If there were ever one high school in Fairmont this whole time, the stats would be even more deeper.

Stop it

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:48 pm

Bearhug wrote:To Answer the original question KDunbar said Fairmont Senior has never been a powerhouse of a program and people started going after him. But the guy is completely wrong. Fairmont Senior, as well as East Fairmont, and North Marion have all shown dominance in the sport. Wood County has the most state champions in the state followed by Marion County.

As I said before:

1 team Title
11 Runner Ups
5 coaches in the HoF.

The problem is, KDunbar NEVER said Fairmont Senior has NEVER been a powerhouse. The word powerhouse has only been used by you and others after his post. He actually said they have not been a perennial front runner over the past 20 years. He also didn't say they were a bad program during that time. And so he was pointing out that the talk of moving them to a different classification as "punishment" so that others don't have to compete with them (and also moving other programs that have put in the same time, effort, and energy from their youth programs on up) just because for the past 4 years they have come back to the top was something he felt was inappropriate. KDunbar knows all about Fairmont Seniors' wrestling history in the 1950's from reading about it, from the 60's and 70's from seeing it first hand and competing against it, from the 80's and early 90's from following it from afar, and since that time from seeing it year in and year out. Prior to the dates he listed in his original post Fairmont Senior most often was in the top 5, and that was in AAA. He also knows that this year, like Point Pleasant and Independence a few short years ago, you could likely put them in any WV classification and they could very well come out on top. He fortunately can go back and fact check his post and feel assured it was accurate. You and others have the misfortune of not having that luxury.

Return to “High School Wrestling”