Jesse Adams - Tough Path

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Jesse Adams - Tough Path

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:10 pm

Every state champion has to win four matches in the state tournament.

Independence's Jesse Adams was the ONLY state champion that had all four of his state tournament opponents make the podium.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mscoach152

Re: Jesse Adams - Tough Path

Postby mscoach152 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:22 pm

Awesome stuff. Did any champion beat the #1 and #2 ranked wrestler during the path to their Championship?

mattman

Postby mattman » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:43 am

I only underestimated Jesse because of his age and weight class. I’m gonna keep saying it. Never bet against any Adams. Great parents and siblings second to none. The kid was bred to win. Only easy from here for Jesse. I predicted it years ago. A kid as athletic as Jesse with in the big boy class… the sky is the limit!

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:22 am

mattman wrote:I only underestimated Jesse because of his age and weight class. I’m gonna keep saying it. Never bet against any Adams. Great parents and siblings second to none. The kid was bred to win. Only easy from here for Jesse. I predicted it years ago. A kid as athletic as Jesse with in the big boy class… the sky is the limit!

You predicted it huh ?

aacoach117

Postby aacoach117 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:57 am

I don't think any path to 1st is easy. Most state champs are on the podium with wrestlers they defeated on the way. My son took 1st in 2020 with wrestlers he had defeated on the podium with him at 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I think the significance of what Adams did isn't as much about who was on the podium with him as much as the fact that he did it as a freshman.

Wrestlingboys3

Postby Wrestlingboys3 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:19 am

I thought I would give a little insight about Trenton Bush. I know that injuries happen and in no way should they be used as an excuse, but I wanted to give a few details about his situation. I read in the above comments about Robert Shockey and his injuries. Hes a tough kid but unfortunately had a knee injury that definitely put him at a disadvantage. Trenton had a neck and shoulder injury, and we didn't even think that he was going to finish the season. He was injured at the WSAZ tournament and was sidelined for two weeks. We went to see two different doctors and they also didn't think that he would be able to return. For the two weeks that he was unable to practice, he rode the exercise bike, and did some very light jogging. It hurt too bad to do anything else. We went into the Big 10 tournament not knowing if he would be able to compete. We decided the day of the tournament to give it a go. At this point he could not do one single push-up or lift any weights. We did not broadcast this to anyone, we just kept it to ourselves. After his first match at Big 10's he pinned his opponent, and he said it hurts bad. He pinned his opponent in the 1st period and wasn't on the mat for very long. I told Trenton that he needed to pin his opponents fast so he could get off the mat and not suffer or risk more chance of further injury. He pinned his 2nd opponent quickly and won his final match to become the big 10 champion. In preparation for regionals, he didn't practice much. I also didn't tell anybody about this. He was still hurting, but he does not like to complain to anyone. He went into regionals still injured and still not able to do one single push-up. He won the regional tournament after bumping up to the 165# class. Trenton decided to bump up and take his chances at 165#.
At 157# he had beaten Zombro, Green, Rollyson, Hall, Naternicola, Horne, and Miller, but he lost to Bennett 3 times, but he didn't face any other kids in that bracket. During the state tournament he also suffered a leg injury to go along with the neck and shoulder injury. As of 3-15-23 (last wednesday) he was able to do only one push-up. I just wanted to give a little insight about his situation. Thanks.

Chickenhawk

Postby Chickenhawk » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:29 am

Wrestlingboys3 wrote:I thought I would give a little insight about Trenton Bush. I know that injuries happen and in no way should they be used as an excuse, but I wanted to give a few details about his situation. I read in the above comments about Robert Shockey and his injuries. Hes a tough kid but unfortunately had a knee injury that definitely put him at a disadvantage. Trenton had a neck and shoulder injury, and we didn't even think that he was going to finish the season. He was injured at the WSAZ tournament and was sidelined for two weeks. We went to see two different doctors and they also didn't think that he would be able to return. For the two weeks that he was unable to practice, he rode the exercise bike, and did some very light jogging. It hurt too bad to do anything else. We went into the Big 10 tournament not knowing if he would be able to compete. We decided the day of the tournament to give it a go. At this point he could not do one single push-up or lift any weights. We did not broadcast this to anyone, we just kept it to ourselves. After his first match at Big 10's he pinned his opponent, and he said it hurts bad. He pinned his opponent in the 1st period and wasn't on the mat for very long. I told Trenton that he needed to pin his opponents fast so he could get off the mat and not suffer or risk more chance of further injury. He pinned his 2nd opponent quickly and won his final match to become the big 10 champion. In preparation for regionals, he didn't practice much. I also didn't tell anybody about this. He was still hurting, but he does not like to complain to anyone. He went into regionals still injured and still not able to do one single push-up. He won the regional tournament after bumping up to the 165# class. Trenton decided to bump up and take his chances at 165#.
At 157# he had beaten Zombro, Green, Rollyson, Hall, Naternicola, Horne, and Miller, but he lost to Bennett 3 times, but he didn't face any other kids in that bracket. During the state tournament he also suffered a leg injury to go along with the neck and shoulder injury. As of 3-15-23 (last wednesday) he was able to do only one push-up. I just wanted to give a little insight about his situation. Thanks.

You started off with saying injuries should in no way be used at an excuse. So then why type for an hour making one. If the kid was so hurt, why wrestle him at conference? That sounds like bad coaching. Adams out-wrestled everyman in that bracket by a long shot, let’s not try to take that away from him.
No need to be SOFT.

Wrestlingboys3

Postby Wrestlingboys3 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:49 pm

You are right. I apologize. He did out wrestle everyone.
I did not mean to take anything away from the other wrestler.
Sorry for the post.

beachbum1234

Postby beachbum1234 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:13 pm

Chickenhawk wrote:
Wrestlingboys3 wrote:I thought I would give a little insight about Trenton Bush. I know that injuries happen and in no way should they be used as an excuse, but I wanted to give a few details about his situation. I read in the above comments about Robert Shockey and his injuries. Hes a tough kid but unfortunately had a knee injury that definitely put him at a disadvantage. Trenton had a neck and shoulder injury, and we didn't even think that he was going to finish the season. He was injured at the WSAZ tournament and was sidelined for two weeks. We went to see two different doctors and they also didn't think that he would be able to return. For the two weeks that he was unable to practice, he rode the exercise bike, and did some very light jogging. It hurt too bad to do anything else. We went into the Big 10 tournament not knowing if he would be able to compete. We decided the day of the tournament to give it a go. At this point he could not do one single push-up or lift any weights. We did not broadcast this to anyone, we just kept it to ourselves. After his first match at Big 10's he pinned his opponent, and he said it hurts bad. He pinned his opponent in the 1st period and wasn't on the mat for very long. I told Trenton that he needed to pin his opponents fast so he could get off the mat and not suffer or risk more chance of further injury. He pinned his 2nd opponent quickly and won his final match to become the big 10 champion. In preparation for regionals, he didn't practice much. I also didn't tell anybody about this. He was still hurting, but he does not like to complain to anyone. He went into regionals still injured and still not able to do one single push-up. He won the regional tournament after bumping up to the 165# class. Trenton decided to bump up and take his chances at 165#.

You started off with saying injuries should in no way be used at an excuse. So then why type for an hour making one. If the kid was so hurt, why wrestle him at conference? That sounds like bad coaching. Adams out-wrestled everyman in that bracket by a long shot, let’s not try to take that away from him.
No need to be SOFT.

Pretty soft to get so hurt to respond to a post that simply outlined Adams finals opponent and what that kid endured just to wrestle, while Shockey and Giampolo are looked at with honor and admiration. Could be that Bush even though was hurt, had heart and guts which would make him a tougher opponent because of his mentality. I think his point is that Adams truly did have a tough road to his championship. So congrats to him.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:26 pm

beachbum1234 wrote:
Chickenhawk wrote:

No need to be SOFT.

Pretty soft to get so hurt to respond to a post that simply outlined Adams finals opponent and what that kid endured just to wrestle, while Shockey and Giampolo are looked at with honor and admiration. Could be that Bush even though was hurt, had heart and guts which would make him a tougher opponent because of his mentality. I think his point is that Adams truly did have a tough road to his championship. So congrats to him.

I personally think the point in reality is that the road to the finals is usually a tough one. The premise that it is tougher just because one wrestled almost all the placers in the weight class is, as we all know, in itself flawed. I'm not saying anything bad about this particular weight class. However, it is often times the quality of just one or two opponents that that determines how "tough" it is.

Bearbub10

Postby Bearbub10 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:24 am

He has a good point though about bush, yes the adams kid wrestled a great tournament and deserves the glory but there were multiple wrestlers injured that could've made things different. Kruzel was also knocked out after the second round of the tournament after a dislocated elbow.

standincoach

Postby standincoach » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:15 am

Bearbub10 wrote:He has a good point though about bush, yes the adams kid wrestled a great tournament and deserves the glory but there were multiple wrestlers injured that could've made things different. Kruzel was also knocked out after the second round of the tournament after a dislocated elbow.

I saw a sketchy on the whistle shot from Bush that hurt another wrestler. Had he not done that I don’t think he would’ve been the region champion. So all of this injury talk as an excuse is comical

Return to “High School Wrestling”