The Pill

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
IndyHart

The Pill

Postby IndyHart » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:18 pm

For those who think the way the state tournament is bracketed needs to change, check out the result of the Mingo Central-Westside football game tonight. Mingo Central sat their starters and lost on purpose to get on the side of the bracket away from Bridgeport. Seeing the two best kids wrestle on Friday night seems better than having a bunch of kids intentionally losing matches at the regional tournament.

Bearhugger

Re: The Pill

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:06 am

The message I get here is that Mingo Central lacks confidence in their ability to beat Bridgeport. They hope to improve their chances to get second place. I bet they will get beat and not even make it to the finals.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mattman

Postby mattman » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:03 am

The message I get is second is better than third or fourth. I promise, if you know your gonna hit a Noah Adams caliber wrestler in the quarters or semis if you win your region you could defiantly see a few injury defaults.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:54 pm

The pill does help with stopping unfortunate issues as used in the example but there is a better way. The four regional champions should be seeded and then the bracket is filled according to the strength based off of regions. This ensures that the two best regional champions are split. Better than the the dumb luck approach.

Very easy concept but hard to explain in forum wording.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:40 am

The last thing we need is for coaches to be in a room arguing for hours over which regional champion should be seeded 1, 2, 3 and 4. Dumb luck is a fairer process.

Kim Jong-Un-derhook

Postby Kim Jong-Un-derhook » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:06 am

J.W. wrote:The pill does help with stopping unfortunate issues as used in the example but there is a better way. The four regional champions should be seeded and then the bracket is filled according to the strength based off of regions. This ensures that the two best regional champions are split. Better than the the dumb luck approach.

Very easy concept but hard to explain in forum wording.

What do you think this is? A democratic republic? No one should have input the seeding process except the wrestling government, but I think if your willing to buy the seed that's a different story. They should auction off the state tournament seeds.
The physical life of an individual person is limited, but the life of the masses united as an independent social-political organism is immortal.… Only when an individual becomes a member of this community can he acquire the immortal social-political life.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:19 am

Osamabin-loudenswain wrote:Okay first off, high schoolers usin drugs has become such an expedemic, the last thing we need to do is engrave in their brains that it's okay to rely on pills. Secondly, my son has duped out of 5th place for the past two years because of pill. Their should be a "best of the best" tournament where each region champion wrestles for the right ti hold the 1 seed. Finally, the rest of the bracket should be decided off of cumaltive mat time. For example, take a kid who's been on the Mat a total of 45 minutes as opposed to a kid who's been on the mat for an hour and a half. This way we know the kid who's been on the mat less has had more pins and tech falls and should be deemed the superior wrestler.

Seeding based on mat time? That makes sense (not!). Now when my son is wrestling a clearly inferior wrestler I will instruct him to not pin the kid until the final 10 seconds of the 3rd period rather than just get it over with in the first 30 seconds and get off of the mat.

Also, are you volunteering to sit down and calculate mat time for each and every wrestler in the state? Because I don't have the time for that silliness, especially when planning for a major end-of-year tournament is just days away, and I doubt any other coaches are going to waste their time with that either..

I personally don't see what is wrong with a coach's seeding meeting. We do it in middle school for the WSAZs and it goes quite well. There is usually a little debate, but typically that debate is over who should be seeded 5th-10th, not who should be #1, 2, 3 or 4. Those top 3 or 4 spots are usually pretty clear.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:24 pm

Osamabin-loudenswain wrote:Coach Williams ur coaching method is flawed. What happens if the "inferior wrestler" your kid is wrestling happens to catch your kid in a pinning combination and beats him. Then your kid just lost to an "inferior wrestler". That's the difference between middle school and high school/ college wrestling. You have a kid get the match over with as fast as possible not allow them to sit around and you with a kid so they can mess up and get pinned because they get cocky.

So how is your method less flawed? A wrestler who faces top competition may take longer to defeat his opponents than one who faces easy competition. That doesn't make the second wrestler better.

And I repeat, are you volunteering to add up the mat time of every wrestler in the state?

Osamabin-loudenswain

Postby Osamabin-loudenswain » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:12 pm

You just said when "you wrestler is wrestling an obvious inferior wrestler, you tell him not to pin him until the last 10 seconds of the 3rd." You never said when your kid is wrestling a solid wrestler. My point here is that you should teach your wrestlers to wrestle every match like they are wrestling a solid openent instead of teaching them to be cocky. Results show the humble wrestler performs better than the cocky one.

If each tea would keep track of their wrestlers time on the mat at each tournament, then it wouldn't be that hard to know how long they were on the mat when the state tournament comes around. A standard would have to to be set though, say 20 matches for example, that would be a minimum amount of matches to qualify for seeding by time
"NO ONE WANTS TO WRESTLE SHUTE"

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Osamabin-loudenswain wrote:You just said when "you wrestler is wrestling an obvious inferior wrestler, you tell him not to pin him until the last 10 seconds of the 3rd." You never said when your kid is wrestling a solid wrestler. My point here is that you should teach your wrestlers to wrestle every match like they are wrestling a solid openent instead of teaching them to be cocky. Results show the humble wrestler performs better than the cocky one.

If each tea would keep track of their wrestlers time on the mat at each tournament, then it wouldn't be that hard to know how long they were on the mat when the state tournament comes around. A standard would have to to be set though, say 20 matches for example, that would be a minimum amount of matches to qualify for seeding by time

My point was that I could tell my kid to take his time getting the easy win to make himself look weaker than he actually is, earning a lower seed (if he would not be on track to be the #1 seed). Arguments could be made if that was logical to do or not, but it would make it possible to manipulate the seedings.

As a former head coach I can tell you that we have enough to keep up with without being expected to track mat time.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:27 am

Based on my years of observations, most coaches are too busy in the hospitality rooms.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:53 pm

Keep the pill. Random is much better than the seeding process. To much time, energy and politics go into seeding meetings. I'd much rather take my chances with the pill than some adult coach with other motives. The pill has no preconceived notions. It is way more fairer than any other method.

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Coach Williams you may want to look up the definition of sarcasm. :roll:

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:59 pm

To be the best you have to beat the best!!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:13 pm

It looks like all Mingo Central's strategy didn't work.

Return to “High School Wrestling”