Preseason AAA Predictions

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
IndyHart

Preseason AAA Predictions

Postby IndyHart » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:37 am

I stay away from predictions on the AA-A side of things because my son and other kids I coach compete there. With high school practices about to begin, I will throw my predictions out there on the AAA side. These will probably look a lot different in sixty days when everyone has settled in to the weight class where they will compete at the state meet.

106 Hunter Burdette (Ripley).

This is the hardest weight class to predict because this is usually a spot for a middle schooler making the jump to high school. And my middle school knowledge ain’t what it used to be. This pick assumes that Burdette, last year’s runner-up, can get back to 106 for one more season.

113 Luke Martin (Parkersburg South).

Martin was the second best AAA 106-pounder in the state last season. Assuming Josh Humphreys doesn’t make the cut to 113, Martin will be the man to beat at this weight.

120 Josh Humphreys (St. Albans).

The number to watch with Humphreys over the next three years is 120. That is the maximum number of team points a wrestler can score in four state tournaments, which would require four pins during each of his four state tournaments. I really doubt that it has ever been done before. After pinning his way to the 106 pound state title last season, Humphreys is a quarter of the way there.

126 Jackson Henson (University).

Got to watch Henson compete in the toughest bracket at Super 32 earlier this month. It should surprise no one that he is much improved from last season. Sadly for his AAA competition, I get the feeling that he has barely scratched the surface of what he is going to accomplish in this sport.

132 Sam Moore (George Washington).

Here’s where it gets tricky. In the next two weights, there are AT LEAST four wrestlers with the ability to win a state title this season, including Moore, Austin Spears of Parkersburg, Brandon Tenney of Buckhannon-Upshur, and Lucas Simpkins of Ripley. Give the nod to Moore at this weight.

138 Lucas Simpkins (Ripley).

Last call for the Simpkins brothers in Huntington. Given the excitement they’ve brought to the mat over the years, I just can’t believe that Lucas won’t find a way to end his career standing on the top of the podium.

145 Cameron Pine (Washington).

Went with Adam Whitmore of Cabell Midland to repeat as a state champ initially, but I kept coming back to the ultra-talented sophomore. Didn’t make a lot of friends at last year’s state meet, but definitely showed he wasn’t afraid to scrap with the big boys.

152 Hunter Jones (George Washington).

A state title is the only thing missing from the George Washington senior’s resume. And though he could weigh in anywhere between 152 and 182, the third trip to the finals should be the charm for Jones.

160 Leland Swafford (Woodrow Wilson).

Not sure Swafford competes at this high a weight. If he does, think this weight comes down to Swafford and T. J. Lambiotte of Parkersburg South.

170 Nick Johnson (Parkersburg).

Johnson got really, really close to winning a title last season. After another full season of fighting Chris Way and Andy Thomas in the practice room, Johnson should be ready to get over the championship hump.

182 Hunter Delong (Parkersburg South).

This class is a little tough to predict because it’s hard to know who will be in and who will be out at 195. Delong is a very experienced wrestler with talented coaches and practice partners. That’s a recipe for a state title.

195 Ryan Mills (Huntington).

Heard some post-Fargo rumors that Mills is going to compete at 195 after finishing as a runner-up at 220 last season. If true, it would set up a four-man free-for-all between Mills, Grant Safford of Point Pleasant, Chaston Holley of Cabell Midland and two-time state champ, Justin Allman of Parkersburg South.

220 Garrett Wolfe (Parkersburg South).

Not a lot of people outside Parkersburg know about Wolfe, but he was one of the best 220’s in the state last season. The problem was that he backed up Thomas Hall at South. With Hall graduated, look for Wolfe to make up for lost time.

285 Tannor Hill (Point Pleasant).

Admittedly, I don’t know a lot about heavyweights. Especially when nearly every heavyweight who won a match in Huntington last season graduated. I’ll take Point’s football record as an indication that Hill probably got bigger, faster and stronger in the offseason.

I'll check back on March 1 to see how I did.

Also, congratulations to Coach Smith at South on getting the head coaching job. I don't know or care about the politics associated with the South job, but, in my son's two years of high school, South went from 132 team points at the 2014 state meet to 243 last season, with essentially the same kids on the roster. That doesn't happen without good coaching.

J.W.

Re: Preseason AAA Predictions

Postby J.W. » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:48 pm

IndyHart- great run down. Not state related, but the 126 pound weight class at the OVAC could be a bracket to possibly watch with Henson, Tariq Wilson from Steubenville, and the Hubbard boy that transferred into Weirton Madonna (unless he goes 120) but if all three there and names I am missing that would be an OVAC MOW worthy weight class.

I will pick Henson to pull it off, but a good one to track.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:35 am

Mills over Allman? Hahaha

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Mills over Allman? Hahaha

Mills vs Allman:
2012 WSAZ Allman wins by fall 4:48
2011 Jr States Allman wins by decision 4-3
2011 WSAZ they were in the same weight class, Mills finished 2nd, Allman finished 4th

Frank Stein

Postby Frank Stein » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:54 pm

According to WVmat scores page Safford (Point) dec. Mills (HHS) 6-3. 1/29/15

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:42 pm

ZZChooseTop wrote:
Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Mills over Allman? Hahaha

Mills vs Allman:
2012 WSAZ Allman wins by fall 4:48
2011 Jr States Allman wins by decision 4-3
2011 WSAZ they were in the same weight class, Mills finished 2nd, Allman finished 4th

I think Allman beat Mills in 2001 though!! Pinned him I do believe.

GsUpChooseDown

Postby GsUpChooseDown » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:28 am

Is Hunter Jones going down to 152? He wrestled 170 last year......thats a big cut......and Mills over Allman, Mills is a solid wrestler but Allman has proven time after time when states roll around its game time....too be the man you got to beat the man.

aaacoach82

Postby aaacoach82 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:37 am

Jones from GW looks great at 152 if he keeps that weight. I look for him to compete 160. Mills wrestled at fargo and place in both divisions free style & greco has work hard in the off season. Robbie getting those boys ready.

Frank Stein

Postby Frank Stein » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:28 pm

These prediction will be a little more solidified in a few weeks when we see what weights guys wrestle.

aaacoach63

Postby aaacoach63 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:00 pm

look for hunter green from riverside to make alot of noise at 145

Theaveragefan

Postby Theaveragefan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Taylor beat Green earlier this year at 145 by fall I believe

Return to “High School Wrestling”