Interesting article on Deaf Michigan Wrestler

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
timamos

Interesting article on Deaf Michigan Wrestler

Postby timamos » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:12 am

forthekids

Re: Interesting article on Deaf Michigan Wrestler

Postby forthekids » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:49 pm

Tim,
I am curious to know your position on this. I personally do not think the ruling is out of line, I think for the most part he get the same as other kids. He should know to look to the corner every time there is match stoppage for instructions. I understand the part of other wresters can hear instruction but can he truly get it through interrupter in a split second. BUT then again I am fine with it as long he/she does not step on mat. SO I guess I see both sides. Really the part I don't get is how everyone takes it court. Cant we have common sense and just do the right thing.

timamos

Postby timamos » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:42 pm

I'm just a real estate lawyer so I don't have a great insight on the ADA but I recall it requires a "reasonable accommodation". Legally, having the interpreter in the corner is probably enough of a reasonable accommodation. In the heat of battle, the hearing impaired wrestler may have the advantage because he isn't distracted by some of the non-sense being screamed/other match whistles/etc. Thinking about when advice is commonly given, not having an interpreter is a disadvantage during the time it takes to set up in referee's position top/bottom (depending upon the level of competition). If I were coaching against the deaf kid, I would have no problem with the interpreter being allowed to roam around the outside of the cylinder during any stoppage, including the set up for referee's position.

I actually don't have a problem with them taking this to court to test the rule. The kid/parents/school aren't asking for money. They are not looking to hit the lottery via lawsuit. It's a good issue and I'm glad that they aren't clouding the issue by asking for damages.

Would be interesting to hear what Jeff Courtney or Greg Pettit think.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Somewhat related, I remember when the WV Deaf and Blind school fielded wrestling teams. They used to have regional tournaments in Kingwood, and the Deaf/Blind team had blind wrestlers. The finger-touch method was used in the neutral position. As rule 6-2-4 states, "Contact is to be maintained throughout the match."

It occurs to me that this is a rather more significant codified accommodation than what some propose for hearing impaired wrestlers.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:16 pm

I guess if he is comfortable and used to having an interpreter on the sideline then I can see where it would be problematic for him. By the same measure, a non-hearing impaired wrestler has to look to the coach's corner and listen if he/she wants to know what the coach is saying and often the crowd is so loud that there is no way he/she can hear anyway, so I don't see why this young man should receive instruction from all areas of the mat.

Return to “High School Wrestling”