Bear Tracks Overview and Criteria

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Bear Tracks Overview and Criteria

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:36 pm

Bear Tracks 2023 – 2024 Overview: Here is how it works.

Wrestlers are ranked based how they finished in last season’s state tournament. A Champion ranks higher than a runner up and so on.
Non-placing wrestlers are rewarded based on the number of matches they win. A “Q2” is a wrestler that made it to the blood round and finished the state tournament 2-2. A “Q1” went 1-2. A “Q” went 0-2.
Ranking order is: 1,2,3,4,5,6, Q2, Q1, Q.
There are no ties for ranking position. The same tie breaking system is being used again this season.
If we have two returning “Q1s” in the same weight class, then the criteria to avoid a tie is as follows:
1. Known head to head in the state tournament or the regional tournament.
2. Higher Quality Opponent Points or “QOP”.
3. Higher placement in the region.
4. Who was heavier last season.
5. If we have two returning state champions in the same weight class, we give the nod to higher career WV State Tournament Placement. For example, a returning 3x state champion gets ranked higher than a 1x returning state champion. If a returning state champion placed 6th two seasons ago, he will rank higher than a state champion that has no other prior state tournament placement.
6. No opinions are used to begin the rankings.
7. Executive Decision can be used in rare cases. However, Executive Decision does not override a returning state champion for ranking purposes.
Explanation of Quality Opponent Points or “QOP”
Points are assigned as follows:
Champion = 16 points
Runner up = 12
3rd = 9
4th = 7
5th = 5
6th = 3
Q2 = 2
Q1 = 1

If a Q1 loses to the eventual state champion (16 points) and the eventual 4th place winner (7 points), then his QOP = 16 + 7 = 23.
If the other Q1 loses to the eventual third place winner (9 points) and an eventual Q2 (2 points), then his QOP = 9 + 2 = 11.
23 is higher than 11. Q1 with 23 QOP gets ranked higher than Q1 with 11 QOP.

Look at Bear Tracks Preseason as a pole position in a Nascar Race. Starting position and once the matches begin, head-to head rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU are needed to communicate all needed changes.
A big thank you to all the coaches, parents, wrestlers and graduated wrestlers that have been answering my questions as to who is in what weight class.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Re: Bear Tracks Overview and Criteria

Postby KDunbar » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:53 am

Did not want to assume something, so I'm confirming so I don't make that mistake. Is th E after a wrestler mean that they are being ranked as a Executive Decesion, particularly if they have no " historical data" or current data to aupport the ranking based on your explanation of your criteris?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:53 pm

KDunbar wrote:Did not want to assume something, so I'm confirming so I don't make that mistake. Is th E after a wrestler mean that they are being ranked as a Executive Decesion, particularly if they have no " historical data" or current data to aupport the ranking based on your explanation of your criteris?

You are correct.

My personal life situation has changed. I am now a resident of WV AGAIN. I have more time to rank vs driving up and down the road. That is why preseason, edition 1 is loaded up.

I do not want to have very many "open" spots in the regional rankings.

Regarding the "E" designations, here are two great examples: Wagstaff and Facemire at 285. Both wrestlers got mentioned in the rankings with an "E". Wagstaff was highly ranked last season despite wrestling with an injury. He defaulted out in the regional tournament, thus missing the state tournament. Facemire was JV. Facemire defeated many ranked wrestlers last season. He defeated the current #2 at 285. Wagstaff defeated Facemire in SV1 in the finals of last season's LKC. On the other hand, they are both beginning rock bottom in the rankings because per criteria, they didn't compete at the state tournament.

Personally, I am sure they will both be top five as soon as they can meet up with higher ranked wrestlers. Operationally, I want to let the Bear Tracks' Ranking process play out.

What I have learned is the more loaded up the rankings begin with, the easier it is to shape them up once the matches begin.

Thanks
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:52 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:Did not want to assume something, so I'm confirming so I don't make that mistake. Is th E after a wrestler mean that they are being ranked as a Executive Decesion, particularly if they have no " historical data" or current data to aupport the ranking based on your explanation of your criteris?

You are correct.

My personal life situation has changed. I am now a resident of WV AGAIN. I have more time to rank vs driving up and down the road. That is why preseason, edition 1 is loaded up.

I do not want to have very many "open" spots in the regional rankings.

Regarding the "E" designations, here are two great examples: Wagstaff and Facemire at 285. Both wrestlers got mentioned in the rankings with an "E". Wagstaff was highly ranked last season despite wrestling with an injury. He defaulted out in the regional tournament, thus missing the state tournament. Facemire was JV. Facemire defeated many ranked wrestlers last season. He defeated the current #2 at 285. Wagstaff defeated Facemire in SV1 in the finals of last season's LKC. On the other hand, they are both beginning rock bottom in the rankings because per criteria, they didn't compete at the state tournament.

Personally, I am sure they will both be top five as soon as they can meet up with higher ranked wrestlers. Operationally, I want to let the Bear Tracks' Ranking process play out.

What I have learned is the more loaded up the rankings begin with, the easier it is to shape them up once the matches begin.

Thanks

Thank you for the clarification.... and "Welcome Home & Happy Thanksgiving".

Return to “High School Wrestling”