Surprise Teams

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Panhandler35

Surprise Teams

Postby Panhandler35 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:55 pm

Are there any teams out there that people have noticed are doing better than expected or making some noise this year?

Doyablameme?

Re: Surprise Teams

Postby Doyablameme? » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:27 pm

Tough to say… some missed the PHS potential as they were not even ranked in the top 10 initially. ( maybe those that vote can’t consider kids coming in from Middle School?) …If you follow middle school even casually you could see a great bunch of lighter weight kids coming on board.. So it shouldn’t have been unexpected.
I also think South is a much better team now than a month ago. Most teams likely improve as the season progresses but I really like how they have improved. (from the outside looking in of course).

I maintain University is the best team in AAA right now. But it’s tight .. injuries are hurting PHS at this time.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:12 pm

A team devestated by injuries or possibly other losses is Wheeling Park. Their 106 amd 113 hane not wrestled in quite some time and they have Lowe, Carmen, and Sands apparently out with injuries. And I noticed Washington missed I think some or all of the second day of the Park duals. That's almost half of a team.

Panhandlewrestling

Postby Panhandlewrestling » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:05 pm

Doyablameme? wrote:Tough to say… some missed the PHS potential as they were not even ranked in the top 10 initially. ( maybe those that vote can’t consider kids coming in from Middle School?) …If you follow middle school even casually you could see a great bunch of lighter weight kids coming on board.. So it shouldn’t have been unexpected.
I also think South is a much better team now than a month ago. Most teams likely improve as the season progresses but I really like how they have improved. (from the outside looking in of course).

I maintain University is the best team in AAA right now. But it’s tight .. injuries are hurting PHS at this time.

It’s hard to predict team strength with the high school transfer rule as it is now. This was the case for Parkersburg. Phs south and University stick out. Ripley has beaten 3 ranked teams in the last few weeks and Woodrow has young talent also

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:54 pm

Panhandlewrestling wrote:
Doyablameme? wrote:Tough to say… some missed the PHS potential as they were not even ranked in the top 10 initially. ( maybe those that vote can’t consider kids coming in from Middle School?) …If you follow middle school even casually you could see a great bunch of lighter weight kids coming on board.. So it shouldn’t have been unexpected.

It’s hard to predict team strength with the high school transfer rule as it is now. This was the case for Parkersburg. Phs south and University stick out. Ripley has beaten 3 ranked teams in the last few weeks and Woodrow has young talent also

Huh ?

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:05 am

You might want to specify what you're meaning. I know South lost two kids going to other schools and one new kid that I'm pretty sure no new transfer rule has anything to do with their eligibility. As far as PHS and University, I've followed their rosters relatively close and am not aware of new upper classmen populating their rosters that are eligible due to any new transfer rule. But you could prove me wrong.
Regarding Ripley, unless there is a site other than on here that is posting their results the only duals listed are 3 from 12/9 and one from 12/14. As far as the past few weeks, the only listing is their loss to South. They did beat one ranked team with an exciting pin in the last match to pull ahead, but they didn't bother to list the result. It's hard to get recognition when one's result are kept a secret, at least from the site that's doing the rankings. But maybe the site administrator will dig up the results and the kids will get the recognition despite this.

Wrestling Fan 29

Postby Wrestling Fan 29 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:54 pm

KDunbar wrote:

You might want to specify what you're meaning. I know South lost two kids going to other schools and one new kid that I'm pretty sure no new transfer rule has anything to do with their eligibility. As far as PHS and University, I've followed their rosters relatively close and am not aware of new upper classmen populating their rosters that are eligible due to any new transfer rule. But you could prove me wrong.
Regarding Ripley, unless there is a site other than on here that is posting their results the only duals listed are 3 from 12/9 and one from 12/14. As far as the past few weeks, the only listing is their loss to South. They did beat one ranked team with an exciting pin in the last match to pull ahead, but they didn't bother to list the result. It's hard to get recognition when one's result are kept a secret, at least from the site that's doing the rankings. But maybe the site administrator will dig up the results and the kids will get the recognition despite this.

Who were the kids South lost? I know Shockey, but I am drawing a blank for whatever reason on the others.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:40 pm

Bush to Ravenswood

Wrestling Fan 29

Postby Wrestling Fan 29 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:08 pm

What happened to Corbin Phillips from South? Have not seen him in the lineup. I may have missed it on another post.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:10 am

Wrestling Fan 29 wrote:What happened to Corbin Phillips from South? Have not seen him in the lineup. I may have missed it on another post.

He's not wrestling this year.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

EASwrestling

Postby EASwrestling » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:52 pm

Yeah, them freshman from Ripley are kicking some butt for PHS!

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:47 am

EASwrestling wrote:

Yeah, them freshman from Ripley are kicking some butt for PHS!

Ripley? You are joking, correct?

aacoach108

Postby aacoach108 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:26 am

I believe the writer is referring to: In the 2022 WSAZ, both Lars Cooper & Stephen Myers wrestled for Ripley, as did Bobby Minor (who is now at Point.)

https://www.wvmat.com/temp/22WSAZMSDay1Brk.pdf

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:32 pm

aacoach108 wrote:I believe the writer is referring to: In the 2022 WSAZ, both Lars Cooper & Stephen Myers wrestled for Ripley, as did Bobby Minor (who is now at Point.)

Now I'll admit that I am making an assumption about the families actually moving from Ripley, but I take it that the writer is "complaining" that families, over 1 1/2 years ago, have decided to make a better life for themselves and this actually has nothing to do with any "loopholes" or "transfer rules". There may well be families that have decided to move from a larger city environment and relocate to a more "peaceful" existence in Ripley but just don't happen to be involved in sports. I'm kind of thinking that is the way life works and it's not created by the WVSSAC. I suppose if you are a wrestling fan in Ripley you might be sad, for a little while.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:14 pm

aacoach108 wrote:I believe the writer is referring to: In the 2022 WSAZ, both Lars Cooper & Stephen Myers wrestled for Ripley, as did Bobby Minor (who is now at Point.)

I don't know about Lars but STephen has always been a Parkersburg kid, He went to Neale elementary & Jackson Middle. His dad was a Big Red

aacoach125

Postby aacoach125 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:45 pm

Stephen Myers went to Spencer Elementary in Roane County

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:55 pm

mscoach4 wrote:

I don't know about Lars but STephen has always been a Parkersburg kid, He went to Neale elementary & Jackson Middle. His dad was a Big Red

Well, if it's the same Stephen Myers, the link above shows him wrestling for Ripley (along with Lars Cooper) while in middle school during that year. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as I stated above.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:32 pm

https://www.wvmat.com/scores/23scores/0207wcm1.htm
This past season shows Myers with Jackson, but no Lars

DumptruckDave

Postby DumptruckDave » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:16 pm

Cooper & Myers both wrestled for Ripley.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:50 pm

KDunbar wrote:

Now I'll admit that I am making an assumption about the families actually moving from Ripley, but I take it that the writer is "complaining" that families, over 1 1/2 years ago, have decided to make a better life for themselves and this actually has nothing to do with any "loopholes" or "transfer rules". There may well be families that have decided to move from a larger city environment and relocate to a more "peaceful" existence in Ripley but just don't happen to be involved in sports. I'm kind of thinking that is the way life works and it's not created by the WVSSAC. I suppose if you are a wrestling fan in Ripley you might be sad, for a little while.

Kinda like families coming in from the Southern Border to make a better life for themselves!

demhawks

Postby demhawks » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:23 pm

mscoach4 wrote:

That is not true at all. Myers dad is from Spencer. and I do not believe played sports. He actually still lives there. Transferred to Ripley after a redshirt 6th grade year, then transferred/lived with PHS athletic admin his 8th grade year. Now parents still drive from Roane County but he does not.

Cooper was in Ravensood not wrestling for his 6th grade year. Then wrestled his 7th grade year for the red devils. Then transferred to Ripley his first 8th grade year. Took a redshirt year and is now driving to PHS daily.

Minor was a legit move to Mason County. His family had a farm and property there and planned on moving there for a while.

But all of this does not matter. The transfers this year are legal and legit thanks to our WV legislation, not the WVSSAC. It is just people getting feelings hurt and jealous for both the school they leave (think they should show loyalty for some reason) and the schools that they are now attending (taking someone's starting spot that has been at that school forever) It is within the rules, let them go where they think they want to be. I think it boils down to parents not kids so much.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:12 pm

Doyablameme? wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

Kinda like families coming in from the Southern Border to make a better life for themselves!

No, for the most part when that is occurring it is illegal and against the current laws of the United States.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:49 pm

Minor is “ farm strong” … and thats better than weight room strong.. correct ?

Hategossip

Re: Surprise Teams demhawks

Postby Hategossip » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:15 am

demhawks wrote:
mscoach4 wrote:

That is not true at all. Myers dad is from Spencer. and I do not believe played sports. He actually still lives there. Transferred to Ripley after a redshirt 6th grade year, then transferred/lived with PHS athletic admin his 8th grade year. Now parents still drive from Roane County but he does not.

Cooper was in Ravensood not wrestling for his 6th grade year. Then wrestled his 7th grade year for the red devils. Then transferred to Ripley his first 8th grade year. Took a redshirt year and is now driving to PHS daily.

Minor was a legit move to Mason County. His family had a farm and property there and planned on moving there for a while.

But all of this does not matter. The transfers this year are legal and legit thanks to our WV legislation, not the WVSSAC. It is just people getting feelings hurt and jealous for both the school they leave (think they should show loyalty for some reason) and the schools that they are now attending (taking someone's starting spot that has been at that school forever) It is within the rules, let them go where they think they want to be. I think it boils down to parents not kids so much.

demhawks you don’t know what your talking about. I have known Stephen’s dad all my life, went to school with him and played football with him for years. Yes he played sports! I don’t have a dog in the fight my daughter already graduated thank God but Stephen did not live with PHS AD/admin his 8th grade year, I have heard that gossip by a few others,(haters), jealous people. I know that for a fact. You guys act like these kids are the only kids that has ever transferred to other schools, guess what they’re not, it happens all the time. It’s a shame you guys act the way you do. I know another fact don’t be keyboard warriors and if you want to know something about Stephen ask his dad he will set you straight. I’m sure the others would do the same. Kids have one shot in life and I don’t blame anyone that tries to do everything they can to make sure the kids have every and the best opportunities. So you keyboard warrior/haters/gossipers I think it’s funny that certain kids live rent free in your heads.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:18 pm

You seem nice...

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:02 pm

Hategossip wrote:
demhawks wrote:
mscoach4 wrote:I don't know about Lars but STephen has always been a Parkersburg kid, He went to Neale elementary & Jackson Middle. His dad was a Big Red

demhawks you don’t know what your talking about. I have known Stephen’s dad all my life, went to school with him and played football with him for years. Yes he played sports! I don’t have a dog in the fight my daughter already graduated thank God but Stephen did not live with PHS AD/admin his 8th grade year, I have heard that gossip by a few others,(haters), jealous people. I know that for a fact. You guys act like these kids are the only kids that has ever transferred to other schools, guess what they’re not, it happens all the time. It’s a shame you guys act the way you do. I know another fact don’t be keyboard warriors and if you want to know something about Stephen ask his dad he will set you straight. I’m sure the others would do the same. Kids have one shot in life and I don’t blame anyone that tries to do everything they can to make sure the kids have every and the best opportunities. So you keyboard warrior/haters/gossipers I think it’s funny that certain kids live rent free in your heads.

Thanks for your inspiring post. I know, I for one am now a better person.

Hategossip

Postby Hategossip » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:31 am

Doyablameme? wrote:
Hategossip wrote:
demhawks wrote:

Thanks for your inspiring post. I know, I for one am now a better person.

It wasn’t meant to be inspiring! Just be adults and understand your talking about kids, kids read these hater, jealousy post by keyboard warriors too and the kids that are being hated on.. lies being told on them!! Still funny certain kids live rent free in the certain few minds!! Shows they are definitely doing something right!!

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:03 pm

demhawks wrote:
mscoach4 wrote:

What is a middle school or high school “redshirt year”? Lol

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:32 pm

Letsgooo wrote:
demhawks wrote:
mscoach4 wrote:I don't know about Lars but STephen has always been a Parkersburg kid, He went to Neale elementary & Jackson Middle. His dad was a Big Red

What is a middle school or high school “redshirt year”? Lol

He was obviously spitballin

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:17 am

I'm confused by this whole topic, so let me get this straight. These two fellows used to wrestle for Ripley, and obviously did not look good in the Viking Blue. So, the coach from Parkersburg High School offered them each a "Big Red" shirt to wear in hopes that they would come to wrestle for PHS. So now one of them is making the drive everyday while the other is living rent free with someone that doesn't like to gossip. Why don't they just get bunk beds so they can both live rent free in Parkersburg and neither one of will have to drive. I agree that they are within their rights to transfer to another school but all these free clothes and rent payments might be a violation of some kind of rule.

And one more question...I have been hearing a lot about Dom and Nick Way. I saw where Dom finish 2nd this weekend at the WSAZ tournament but haven't seen Nick in the results lately. Does anyone know if he got injured or is he wearing a "Big Red" shirt this season.

Return to “High School Wrestling”