Surprise Teams

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Stephanie Myers

Re: Surprise Teams

Postby Stephanie Myers » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:06 pm

It’s sounds like there’s been a mix-up in the information being circulated about my son’s situation.I need to stop this and clarify the facts. My son has been commuting to Parkersburg since he was in the 8th grade last year until this year as a 9th grade every day.I personally drop him off for school and picking him up after wrestling practice ,and has not been living in Parkersburg as some rumors suggest. This has been going on since last year and I’m tired of it. Let’s get everyone’s name out who has been saying all these things about my son so me and Steve can discuss this face to face with them. I bet none of you have the balls.

ddrennen

Postby ddrennen » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:36 pm

Can’t tell if you’re being serious or not? His name is Dominic Way. Not two different people.

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:11 pm

ddrennen wrote:Can’t tell if you’re being serious or not? His name is Dominic Way. Not two different people.

I see what you did there (wink/wink), they are using Nick as a secret ace in the hole. They are going to keep Dom in the lineup for the rest of this year, and then next year they are going to slide Nick in there to give them that One-Two punch. PHS is definitely on an upward trajectory and it is good to see.

ddrennen

Postby ddrennen » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:16 pm

Well now that Mrs. Myers has weighed in hopefully the way this thread was going can end/move on to something else. Just so folks understand that there is a person behind the story, Stephen is a wildly intelligent, extremely polite and well-mannered child. I get the privilege of seeing him work day in and day out and can’t wait to see what he becomes over the next few years. I think anyone who loves wrestling will also feel the same.

I’m going to laugh about the Dom and Nic Way thing for awhile. Thanks J Perkins!

Jon Perkins

Postby Jon Perkins » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:58 am

Perhaps some perspective from both sides is what this conversation needs. First can everyone please quit referring to these young men as "kids" or "children". If you want a young man to grow up and act like a man then he needs to be treated as such, and referring to a young man that is in high school as a child or a little kid does them no favors in achieving that goal.

Secondly, the State Legislature has permitted high school athletes to transfer from one school to another without any eligibility consequences. It does state that people are not allowed comment on it and spread rumors. For every action in life there is always a reaction, no matter what. Rumors and gossip are always the reaction to someone transferring from one county to another and having an impact on a sports program, this is not a new idea. The parents should have been very aware of the situation and the consequences beforehand and should have told their sons that these are the issues we are going to have to deal with. As long as we stay within our rights there is nothing anyone can do but talk, and that will only be an issue if we allow it to become an issue. If you don't want the rumors and gossip, then I suggest doing one of these two options; 1.) either don't do the action that creates the reaction and don't allow your kid to travel outside the county to go to school or 2.) call the State Legislature and have them amend the bill that prevents people from talking on a public forum about your families educational decisions.

Finally, I don't think anyone really cares about this situation. Not one person on here has said anything that has been mean, spiteful, or demeaning to any of these young men. Let people say what they are going to say and get on with life. This is stage in life when parents need to teach their young ones that life is hard so toughen up or wear a helmet.

Good luck to Mr. Myers and Mr. Cooper and since they were mentioned best of luck to Dom and Nick Way as well.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:42 pm

Jon Perkins wrote:Perhaps some perspective from both sides is what this conversation needs. First can everyone please quit referring to these young men as "kids" or "children". If you want a young man to grow up and act like a man then he needs to be treated as such, and referring to a young man that is in high school as a child or a little kid does them no favors in achieving that goal.

Secondly, the State Legislature has permitted high school athletes to transfer from one school to another without any eligibility consequences. It does state that people are not allowed comment on it and spread rumors. For every action in life there is always a reaction, no matter what. Rumors and gossip are always the reaction to someone transferring from one county to another and having an impact on a sports program, this is not a new idea. The parents should have been very aware of the situation and the consequences beforehand and should have told their sons that these are the issues we are going to have to deal with. As long as we stay within our rights there is nothing anyone can do but talk, and that will only be an issue if we allow it to become an issue. If you don't want the rumors and gossip, then I suggest doing one of these two options; 1.) either don't do the action that creates the reaction and don't allow your kid to travel outside the county to go to school or 2.) call the State Legislature and have them amend the bill that prevents people from talking on a public forum about your families educational decisions.

Finally, I don't think anyone really cares about this situation. Not one person on here has said anything that has been mean, spiteful, or demeaning to any of these young men. Let people say what they are going to say and get on with life. This is stage in life when parents need to teach their young ones that life is hard so toughen up or wear a helmet.

Good luck to Mr. Myers and Mr. Cooper and since they were mentioned best of luck to Dom and Nick Way as well.

I agree that no one on this particular thread has really said anything demeaning toward the wrestlers mentioned. The instigating comment seemed to be expressing a displeasure with the State Legislature's decision to change the transfer rules and not really with the wrestlers. They implied that certain programs were benefitting from this and they are probably correct. They are entitled to that opinion. And yes, the programs that lost athletes were negatively affected (possibly) and those that gained were positively affected (again, possibly). They mentioned South, PHS, and University High. I stated that I was not aware of South benefitting from the new transfer rule (although they may have been negatively impacted). I don't know any details, but there may be wrestlers opting to attend University rather than Morgantown (or even Preston County) and the discussion specifically mentioned wrestlers deciding to transfer to PHS. I expressed an opinion that if parents chose to act within the rules of this change and felt it was in the best interest of their child, then it was their prerogative. In the past being housed with a pseudo-relative was a way (no pun intended) around the then existing rules. That is no longer the case. With schools such as Catholic schools or private schools it has always been acceptable for students to be transported (even across state borders) or even housed in dormatories (even across country borders). So where the student lives and how they get to school is no longer an issue. In fact, I'm sure there would be some who would get on social media and advocate for the student to be housed with friends rather than be subjected to long commutes. That is the unfortunate reality of our world (just like I am free to express this opinion). The problem is when inaccurate information gets dispensed. This occurred on both "sides" of this story with the long time friend who knew for a fact that a wrestler and their family had never left the confines of Parkersburg and just added fuel to the conversation. That kind of "help" is never needed. With this new change in the rules, what the parents do and how they choose to do it is a mute point.

beachbum1234

Postby beachbum1234 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:55 pm

Surprise teams....

Gonna throw some out there hopefully no one takes offense to it because it's kind of a slap in the face. Wow, this team can ACTUALLY wrestle.... see what I mean.

Maybe switch the idea to improved teams?

Martinsburg
East Fairmont
Preston
Ripley

Also there are some individuals who have really jumped or have steadily gotten better.
Jacob Perry SM has gotten better every year, but is wrestling at a new level. Obviously his performance at the tournament formerly known as Winners Choice is the example people know, but overall outside that it's pretty impressive.

I'm sure there are others maybe take this thread in that direction or something.

demhawks

Postby demhawks » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:25 pm

Hategossip/Mr. Myers - and Mrs. Myers - looks like I hit a sensitive nerve with you? Jon Perkins and Dunbar are completely correct, at no point has anyone on here bashed your son or any of the other young men listed as transfers. I have no clue if they are outstanding young men or jerks in or outside of school. I do not care one way or another the level of success he may have. I have NOTHING in on this argument. My son graduated a few years ago (and not from Ripley). I was simply pointing out that some kids "take a redshirt" or purposefully go to homeschool or retain their student in order to repeat a grade while in middle school. I am not saying that the transfers are right or wrong, or that redshirting a kid (and yes, a middle schooler is a kid) is right or wrong. It is something I would not consider for high school glory, but some do for athletic purposes and others do because the student is having a hard time maintaining good grades. My entire post that got everyone worked up was simply listing the ones that others mentioned transferred and the story behind them.
Did he stay with a PHS athletic Admin? I do not know for certain - just what was told to me by several people
Do I know why some of these young men repeated grades in middle school? Not all - but I do know others because I talked with them
I pointed out that the transfer is legal. Why debate it? If it is permitted and students are taking advantage to either better themselves or their situation, then go with it. There was no jealousy or hate in my post. I frankly don't care where your son wrestles. If you are willing to drive twice to Parkersburg from Spencer everyday then you go for it.

Panhandler35

Postby Panhandler35 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:30 pm

beachbum1234 wrote:Surprise teams....

Gonna throw some out there hopefully no one takes offense to it because it's kind of a slap in the face. Wow, this team can ACTUALLY wrestle.... see what I mean.

Maybe switch the idea to improved teams?

Martinsburg
East Fairmont
Preston
Ripley

Also there are some individuals who have really jumped or have steadily gotten better.
Jacob Perry SM has gotten better every year, but is wrestling at a new level. Obviously his performance at the tournament formerly known as Winners Choice is the example people know, but overall outside that it's pretty impressive.

I'm sure there are others maybe take this thread in that direction or something.

Agreed! That’s more of what I was wondering. Teams that maybe weren’t on the radar before the season, but have made some noise or taken steps in the right direction.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:39 am

Jon Perkins wrote:Perhaps some perspective from both sides is what this conversation needs. First can everyone please quit referring to these young men as "kids" or "children". If you want a young man to grow up and act like a man then he needs to be treated as such, and referring to a young man that is in high school as a child or a little kid does them no favors in achieving that goal.

Couldn’t love this response anymore than I already do. Hey these “kids” do need to be wearing helmets just EVERY FALL. Go out for football, put on some weight, and have fun hitting people. Specialization sucks.

Return to “High School Wrestling”