Eligible for weight classes

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach28

Postby aaacoach28 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:17 pm

There has been some coaches giving wrong information about how much you have to weigh to be in that weight class. Can't believe coaches don't know. Example. A kid weighs 150.1 before the weight allowance is considered to be a 157 pounder. That being said he CAN wrestle in the 165 lb weight class. A kid can weigh 190.1 in which he is considered a 215 pounder ,he can wrestle 285. Quit stiring things on a subject you should know!!

KDunbar

Re: Eligible for weight classes

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:05 pm

aaacoach28 wrote:There has been some coaches giving wrong information about how much you have to weigh to be in that weight class. Can't believe coaches don't know. Example. A kid weighs 150.1 before the weight allowance is considered to be a 157 pounder. That being said he CAN wrestle in the 165 lb weight class. A kid can weigh 190.1 in which he is considered a 215 pounder ,he can wrestle 285. Quit stiring things on a subject you should know!!

At the risk of being wrong (because I'm doing this using old man memory without looking it up) but I believe the 157 pounder can actually wrestle up 2 weight classes which means both 165 and 175. Now as for the 215 pounder, his only option is one weight class. If I am correct then this would be the accurate information on the subject that coaches and wrestlers (and interested fans) should be aware of (and all the coaches I have been associated with over the years were well aware of). As I said, please correct me if I'm wrong.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:52 pm

I think the point that coach28 might have been making is that (to pick out only one example) the 150 wrestler can weigh in at 150.1 so that he is entered at 157. He can wrestle up to 165 and still be able to return to 150 at a later date. He is correct. After the weight allowance, he would need to weigh 152.1, and on successive days 153.1.

One thing I think some people also overlook, regarding the rule requiring 50% of weigh-ins to be at the lower weight, is that this starts at the alpha date for the lower weight. Hypothetically, if a wrestler's date is late enough, he may only need one weigh-in at the lower weight prior to regions. If this happened, he would have 100% of weigh-ins at the lower weight.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:57 pm

KDunbar wrote:
aaacoach28 wrote:There has been some coaches giving wrong information about how much you have to weigh to be in that weight class. Can't believe coaches don't know. Example. A kid weighs 150.1 before the weight allowance is considered to be a 157 pounder. That being said he CAN wrestle in the 165 lb weight class. A kid can weigh 190.1 in which he is considered a 215 pounder ,he can wrestle 285. Quit stiring things on a subject you should know!!

At the risk of being wrong (because I'm doing this using old man memory without looking it up) but I believe the 157 pounder can actually wrestle up 2 weight classes which means both 165 and 175. Now as for the 215 pounder, his only option is one weight class. If I am correct then this would be the accurate information on the subject that coaches and wrestlers (and interested fans) should be aware of (and all the coaches I have been associated with over the years were well aware of). As I said, please correct me if I'm wrong.

A wrestler can only qualify to wrestle in the weight class in which he weighs in at and the next weight class up. A wrestler may only wrestle 1 weight class up from which he/she weighs. We actually had this happen at the OVAC tournament where a wrestler was weighing in for 175 but actually made weight for 157. He was declared ineligible for 175 as he can only go up 1 weight class.

Pg 8 section 4: Article 6 of the NFHS rule book clearly defines this.

aacoach32

Postby aacoach32 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:43 am

I always thought a two class bump allowance was something that could be looked at. It may give teams the ability to better fill all their weight classes for dual meets. Back in the day, before the 215 weight class, 190 pounders could wrestle 285, and many of them held their own there. Always fun to watch light heavyweights mix it up.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:37 pm

mike.carman wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

A wrestler can only qualify to wrestle in the weight class in which he weighs in at and the next weight class up. A wrestler may only wrestle 1 weight class up from which he/she weighs. We actually had this happen at the OVAC tournament where a wrestler was weighing in for 175 but actually made weight for 157. He was declared ineligible for 175 as he can only go up 1 weight class.

Pg 8 section 4: Article 6 of the NFHS rule book clearly defines this.

Mike, I'm just curious because I haven't looked at the rule book for a few years, did it use to be that one could move up 2 weight classes, and if so when did the current rule start?

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:04 pm

I would be interested to hear what others have to say on this, but it seems to me there was a time prior to the institution of trackwrestling/weight assessment stuff that a wrestler could go two weights higher than his eligible weight, but if he did, he would be recertified and could only go back down one weight from that point forward.

BsWrestler72

Postby BsWrestler72 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:35 pm

Back in my day, 50 years ago. You had to certify your weight around December 15th . You could not go to a lower weight from that time. You could wrestle up 1 weight as long as you made the lower weight. If you went up without making the lower weight then that is now your base weight.

Jeremy_Callen

Postby Jeremy_Callen » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:36 am

At no point is a wrestler ever permitted to wrestle more than one weight class up from the weight class that their actual weight permits them to wrestler at the time of weigh-ins. If WRESTLER A weighs in at 156.8 he/she is only permitted to wrestler 157 and 165. At not point since I have been involved with this sport whether as an athlete or an official, which is over 40 years, has a wrestler ever been able to wrestle up 2 weight classes from which they certified at the time of weigh-ins.

Coaches I ask that you do not give improper guidance to fellow coaches if you are not completely sure of what is permitted based on the NFHS rules and the WVSSAC Weight Management Plan. I would hate to see any wrestler be ruled ineligible come regionals due to an incorrect interpretation or guidance given by another coach. All of you should have my email or cell phone (preferred method of contact). Please reach out to me should you have any questions.

Thanks
Jeremy

Jeremy_Callen

Postby Jeremy_Callen » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:38 am

KDunbar wrote:

Rick please see my previous post. Thanks Jeremy

Jeremy_Callen

Postby Jeremy_Callen » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:47 am

aacoach32 wrote:I always thought a two class bump allowance was something that could be looked at. It may give teams the ability to better fill all their weight classes for dual meets. Back in the day, before the 215 weight class, 190 pounders could wrestle 285, and many of them held their own there. Always fun to watch light heavyweights mix it up.

I believe you are referring to the days when the weight class was 189 and the next weight class was 285. For the longest time there was not a weight class in between 189 and 285. However, once 220 was introduced as a eligible weight class anyone wanting to wrestler 285 had to weigh-in for 220 and above the 195 prior to the weight allowance being given.

Thanks
Jeremy

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:51 am

Jeremy_Callen wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

Rick please see my previous post. Thanks Jeremy

Jeremy. Just to be clear, if you thought it was Rick Dunbar giving the incorrect recollection of moving up 2 weight classes, it was not. This is Ken Dunbar with the bad memory (as I suspected might be the case, which is why I stated it as such). I'm sure Rick, with his lengthy experience in coaching and running tournaments, would not have any problem with knowing the correct information. Thanks for giving the accurate explanation and I assume if the wrestler weighs in below his weight class weight and wrestles up the one weight class, they have not recertified at the upper weight.

TheBoxer

Postby TheBoxer » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:44 pm

Jeremy_Callen wrote:At no point is a wrestler ever permitted to wrestle more than one weight class up from the weight class that their actual weight permits them to wrestler at the time of weigh-ins. If WRESTLER A weighs in at 156.8 he/she is only permitted to wrestler 157 and 165. At not point since I have been involved with this sport whether as an athlete or an official, which is over 40 years, has a wrestler ever been able to wrestle up 2 weight classes from which they certified at the time of weigh-ins.

Coaches I ask that you do not give improper guidance to fellow coaches if you are not completely sure of what is permitted based on the NFHS rules and the WVSSAC Weight Management Plan. I would hate to see any wrestler be ruled ineligible come regionals due to an incorrect interpretation or guidance given by another coach. All of you should have my email or cell phone (preferred method of contact). Please reach out to me should you have any questions.

Thanks
Jeremy

Jeremy,
OP has me second guessing my understanding. Learning is growth right?

IF
Wrestler is certified 126 with lowest weight of 120.5

on day of event the grown allowance is +2
wrestler steps on the scale and weighs 121.0

they do not qualify for 120 since they never are able to make base.
they qualify for 126
but if they do not weigh more than 122 (weight for 120 for that day) would they be allowed to wrestle 132?

My understanding has always been "no" since they must weigh 122.1 in order to wrestle 132.

But if i am wrong. it wouldn't be the first time

i should also say. if this situation happened it would be a pretty dumb situation for that wrestler since they are lighter than they should be and wrestlers NEVER make dumb mistakes. it just had me thinking

mat_mojo

Postby mat_mojo » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:04 am

Is the 50% weigh-in rule actually enforced? Now that regional brackets are being posted, there sure does seem to be some suspicious changes in weight class. Seems like wrestlers are checking the talent in their region and then jumping to "weaker" brackets. Does this stuff actually get checked during brackets or weigh-ins? I'm pretty sure coaches have to present the alpha report at each weigh-in. Who's checking it?

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:25 am

My understanding is that the 50% rule applies to moving down in weight, not up. If a wrestler enters the next higher weight at region, for whatever reason, they have met the requirement because they were eligible for that weight 100% of their weigh-ins. As for moving down in weight, I think a coach would need to be prepared to demonstrate his wrestler has made weight for that class 50% of weigh-ins from that weight's alpha date. I think if there is a question, it would probably be up to the coaches in that region to sort out at the time of the seeding meeting. If a problem is found afterward, I assume that wrestler risks being declared ineligible.

DumptruckDave

Postby DumptruckDave » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:39 am

mat_mojo wrote:Is the 50% weigh-in rule actually enforced? Now that regional brackets are being posted, there sure does seem to be some suspicious changes in weight class. Seems like wrestlers are checking the talent in their region and then jumping to "weaker" brackets. Does this stuff actually get checked during brackets or weigh-ins? I'm pretty sure coaches have to present the alpha report at each weigh-in. Who's checking it?

If you're apart of AA/A Region 4 it sure does...

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:08 pm

mat_mojo wrote:Is the 50% weigh-in rule actually enforced? Now that regional brackets are being posted, there sure does seem to be some suspicious changes in weight class. Seems like wrestlers are checking the talent in their region and then jumping to "weaker" brackets. Does this stuff actually get checked during brackets or weigh-ins? I'm pretty sure coaches have to present the alpha report at each weigh-in. Who's checking it?

you seeing people go up or down? up is ok down is not unless they meet the 50% since alpha at the lower weight. Coaches typically will call that if they see it.

but my question is what brackets are you talking about? all i see is a post saying none are posted until all are set

mat_mojo

Postby mat_mojo » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:51 pm

mscoach106 wrote:

you seeing people go up or down? up is ok down is not unless they meet the 50% since alpha at the lower weight. Coaches typically will call that if they see it.

but my question is what brackets are you talking about? all i see is a post saying none are posted until all are set

I’m seeing a couple kids make drops. AAA region I bracket was finalized yesterday.

Return to “High School Wrestling”