Home advantage big tournaments WV states

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Wvbuckjoe

Home advantage big tournaments WV states

Postby Wvbuckjoe » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:23 pm

Do you feel there is an advantage for a wrestler to be able to sleep at home in their own bed vs motel stays or a disadvantage dealing with parent "coaches " ect...
Especially on at WV States 2 overnights..provided they make it today 3

mat_mojo

Re: Home advantage big tournaments WV states

Postby mat_mojo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:01 am

It's always advantageous to be at home. Familiar surroundings play a huge part. That's part of "home field" advantage. Also, there is no need for some of these tournaments to be 3 days. Same with OVAC. This year it was condensed into two days due to weather and went just fine. They drag it out into multiple sessions on purpose. It's a money grab. Normal years the kids wrestle 1 match on the first day. Stupid. They miss two days of school.

Wvbuckjoe

Postby Wvbuckjoe » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:59 am

Agreed 100%

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:15 am

What school's stay home for the state tournament?
Huntington, Cabbell Midland, Spring Valley, who else?

Beast

Postby Beast » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:20 am

I would assume anyone within a 45min to 1 hour drive one way would just avoid the expensive rooms and travel back and forth.

Most of your I-64 teams west of Charleston would fall into that category. Not sure about those who would have to travel the non-Interstate routes to get there, such as Point.

TheBoxer

Postby TheBoxer » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:49 pm

Devils Advocate. is being in a hotel an advantage? All the wrestlers together, enforced curfew, keeping a close eye on weight. A hotel close would mean more time relaxing and not spending 45 minutes on the road before and after.

Other than being in their own bed the worst part would be travel to on day 1. IDK if they can afford it or not, But i was coaching in the Northern or eastern panhandle with a 4-5 hour drive, i think i would come down on wednesday to get the travel lag out, find a mat for a practice when we got there.

Eliminated wrestlers would room together friday night with eliminated wrestlers in a different room. Last thing someone that needs to make weight the next morning needs to see is their friend with a gallon of chocolate milk drinking it in bed and wanting to stay up all night.

if i was king for a day i guess :D

Return to “High School Wrestling”