Reigon 1 AA-A compared to Region 4 AA-A and the rest of AA-A

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Jenny Sacks Mole

Reigon 1 AA-A compared to Region 4 AA-A and the rest of AA-A

Postby Jenny Sacks Mole » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:14 am

Would love to know the stats of state place winners/champions that have come from Region 1 AA-A compared to the other regions since the 2016-2017 season when Region 1 scooped up Berkely Springs, Frankfort, and Keyser. Since that season Region 1 has become ridiculously unbalanced compared to the rest of the state.

KDunbar

Re: Reigon 1 AA-A compared to Region 4 AA-A and the rest of AA-A

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:22 pm

Jenny Sacks Mole wrote:Would love to know the stats of state place winners/champions that have come from Region 1 AA-A compared to the other regions since the 2016-2017 season when Region 1 scooped up Berkely Springs, Frankfort, and Keyser. Since that season Region 1 has become ridiculously unbalanced compared to the rest of the state.

Well, it's pretty easy for you to find that out. Just go to the front page, click on 6 state tournaments and count 14 weight classes each and you'll have your answer with a little addition and division.

aacoach107

Postby aacoach107 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:07 pm

Coming from a friend who took time to do the research. Please note that the stats may be off by one or two, but these statistics are very close.

Since 2017 through 2022

Region 1
227 Place winners
37 Champions

Region 2
123 Place winners
7 Champs

Region 3
119 Place winners
20 champs

Region 4
120 Place winners
33 champs

As stated by the researcher, "we know the teams that the overwhelmingly majority of the champs came from in Regions 3 and 4. But in Region 1 they have come from a multitude of teams."

Jenny Sacks Mole

Postby Jenny Sacks Mole » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:09 am

aacoach107 wrote:Coming from a friend who took time to do the research. Please note that the stats may be off by one or two, but these statistics are very close.

Since 2017 through 2022

Region 1
227 Place winners
37 Champions

Region 2
123 Place winners
7 Champs

Region 3
119 Place winners
20 champs

Region 4
120 Place winners
33 champs

As stated by the researcher, "we know the teams that the overwhelmingly majority of the champs came from in Regions 3 and 4. But in Region 1 they have come from a multitude of teams."

Further proves the point of how WEAK the other regions are. I mean only 7 champs region 2, smh. Then if you take Point away from region 4, there goes 95% of the champs. No wonder Point always send a full line up to states year in and year out, it's literally just them.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:20 pm

Jenny Sacks Mole wrote:
aacoach107 wrote:Coming from a friend who took time to do the research. Please note that the stats may be off by one or two, but these statistics are very close.

Since 2017 through 2022

Region 1
227 Place winners
37 Champions

Region 2
123 Place winners
7 Champs

Region 3
119 Place winners
20 champs

Region 4
120 Place winners
33 champs

Further proves the point of how WEAK the other regions are. I mean only 7 champs region 2, smh. Then if you take Point away from region 4, there goes 95% of the champs. No wonder Point always send a full line up to states year in and year out, it's literally just them.

A few supplementary points:

1. Regions 2, 3 and 4 are all very close to each other in total place winners based on the information above.

2. We should also look at the results of tournaments such as the Braxton County Invitational and the WSAZ. Point Pleasant is typically at the top among all teams in attendance, including Region 1 teams. If you can't beat Point Pleasant in the BCI or WSAZ with your team fully staffed, then there shouldn't be much expected change in results at the state tournament.

Last weekend, I went to AA/A Region 4 where Point Pleasant was. The following day, I attended AA/A Region 1.

AA/A Region 1 was without a doubt the tougher region.

A modification to the existing state tournament qualification process is needed.

Good luck to all.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:18 am

Jenny Sacks Mole wrote:

Since 2017 through 2022

Region 1
227 Place winners
37 Champions

Region 2
123 Place winners
7 Champs

Region 3
119 Place winners
20 champs

Region 4
120 Place winners
33 champs

I have been following this conversation from a distance, but felt a couple comments might be added. First of all I appreciate that aacoach107 said the numbers might be off just slightly. In any case I wanted to make 2 corrections, just to be a little more accurate (not that it changes any specific conclusions).: 1) these figures are actually for 2017 through 2023 and not through 2022; 2) Region 1 actually had 39 champions during this time period and although I didn't count place winners, there was one left out from one of the regions. As I said, none of this changes anything significantly.

However, I also don't think these numbers change anything that wasn't already known. And that is only that a larger number of wrestlers in Region 1 are capable of placing at the State tournament and a few wrestlers in Region 1 that might place at the state tournament are left behind. However these wrestlers are not all from the same team and are spread out over several teams. But it also does not indicate that all other regions are weak. It likewise does not show that the reason that Independence and Point Pleasant have been dominant in the years they won championships was because of the number of wrestlers they were able to send. If you keep and follow scoring at the State Tournament, a "weak" wrestler that makes it from a"weak" region does not score very many points and an additional wrestler or two that is going to place 6th or get close to that is not going to make up for the 150 points to 50 point spread between #1 & #2 that has occurred during the time period being discussed. As Bearhugger likes to say, just because it has always been a certain way does not mean it might possibly be better if things were changed, but in Region 1 (I believe both AAA and AA/A) it has always been a little tougher to get to the State tournament over the years, although in AAA this changed significantly when the two Parkersburg teams were place in Region 4. But despite that I believe Region 1 has managed to win State tournaments during all those years when they had the team to do so, and the same for Region 4 AAA after the alignment changes were made. So we're back to what has always somewhat been the case in sports.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:11 am

Wait… aren’t you the guy that thought a person could move up a bunch of weight classes or something??

I’ll take twice as many state placers over more champs any day

Just look at region state tournament points. Thats all that matters. I get that some “fans” don’t understand the ins and outs of wrestling but wow. There are way more teams points going to be from region one every year. Some “fans” think that the only measurable is individual state championship or team 1st and 2nd. There are many team points to be had by all placers

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:28 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Wait… aren’t you the guy that thought a person could move up a bunch of weight classes or something??

I’ll take twice as many state placers over more champs any day

Just look at region state tournament points. Thats all that matters. I get that some “fans” don’t understand the ins and outs of wrestling but wow. There are way more teams points going to be from region one every year. Some “fans” think that the only measurable is individual state championship or team 1st and 2nd. There are many team points to be had by all placers

No, I'm the guy that "asked" if it was one or two.
And I can't help it if you're just smarter than me.
But wow I get it now, the ins and out of wrestling are that region state tournament points are all that matters.
However,I thought the discussion was partially about there being deserving wrestlers that unfortunately don't make it to the state tournament, which is true and has always been true with regionals since the 1960's. Did it get worse with the most recent region 1 AA/A alignment, yes.
Does it affect who are the individual weight class state champions each year, I "think" the answer is no.
Does it affect who is the team champion each year, I "think" the answer is no. This last issue is what I was addressing, as it appeared to be inferred that this might be the case (as happens each year at about this time).

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:38 pm

Ok again is region one tougher than region 2,3, and 4? The answer is “yes”. If one can’t admit that then there really is no sense in discussing much with this person

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:02 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Ok again is region one tougher than region 2,3, and 4? The answer is “yes”

Generally speaking, I believe it is more difficult to place top 4 in Region 1 AA/A, than in the other three regions and this is possibly shown by the number of placers at the state tournament, in the 7 years being discussed. However, I don't necessarily believe that it is tougher to be a champion in region one than in all the other regions. But, given the ins and outs of wrestling, to actually prove anything one would actually have to literally break those placers down by region, because if all those region 1 guys are just filling up the 5th and 6th place spots, then it might not be as "tough" as it sounds. Now I'm not inferring that is the case. Just saying to actually prove the point a little more research might be needed. And yes, I suppose one could just add up all the points scored in total by all the teams in each region, but it would not be the way I would think best to look at this rather than addressing placers.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:33 pm

Since 2017 through 2022

Region 1
227 Place winners
37 Champions

Region 2
123 Place winners
7 Champs

Region 3
119 Place winners
20 champs

Region 4
120 Place winners
33 champs

Jenny Sacks Mole

Postby Jenny Sacks Mole » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:39 am

Bearhugger wrote:
Jenny Sacks Mole wrote:

Since 2017 through 2022

Region 1
227 Place winners
37 Champions

Region 2
123 Place winners
7 Champs

Region 3
119 Place winners
20 champs

Region 4
120 Place winners
33 champs

A few supplementary points:

1. Regions 2, 3 and 4 are all very close to each other in total place winners based on the information above.

2. We should also look at the results of tournaments such as the Braxton County Invitational and the WSAZ. Point Pleasant is typically at the top among all teams in attendance, including Region 1 teams. If you can't beat Point Pleasant in the BCI or WSAZ with your team fully staffed, then there shouldn't be much expected change in results at the state tournament.

Last weekend, I went to AA/A Region 4 where Point Pleasant was. The following day, I attended AA/A Region 1.

AA/A Region 1 was without a doubt the tougher region.

A modification to the existing state tournament qualification process is needed.

Good luck to all.

Winners Choice and OVAC is better than the Braxton Tournament, and WSAZs. Its not even close.

I wish you'd hype those two tournaments up as much as you do Braxton and SAZ's

Return to “High School Wrestling”