Top Must See Thursday Matchups/ Potential Matchups in Later Rounds

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
LMob0621

Top Must See Thursday Matchups/ Potential Matchups in Later Rounds

Postby LMob0621 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:25 pm

Who are your top must see first round matchups on Thursday night and potential matchups for the rest of the tournament? Here is my top three from each round. Obviously at the state level, a lot of matches can go either way so the quarters, semis, and finals are matchups I believe will happen.

AAA

1. 175 lbs - #6 Adrian Lopez (Washington) vs. #4 Emerson Murphy (University)
Two high ranked wrestlers that received an epically horrible draw with 175 lb. Juggernaut Gage Wright potentially waiting for the winner in the quarterfinals.

2. 120 lbs - #7 Timmy Husk (University) vs. UR Chandler Morris (Princeton)

Super Sub Timmy Husk represented University well in the Regionals and looks to continue his momentum in the state tournament.

3. 215 lbs - #7 James Payne (George Washington) vs. #8 Matthew Edward’s (Cabell Midland)

Two wrestlers that could have both been favorites in their first round match but are instead pitted against each other in a 7 vs 8 matchup.

Potential quarterinal matchups

AAA

1. 165 lbs - #4 Cole Middleton (Parkersburg South) vs #3 Cole Turner (Preston)

Region 4 champ Cole against region 1 Runner up Cole. I’ll take Cole to win this one.

2. 190 lbs - #4 Owen Klimas (Preston) vs #2 Brycen Arthur (Parkersburg South)

After pushing #1 Robert Shockey to his limits in a 3-2 loss in the Region 4 finals, Brycen will have to get fast a good first round match to face 49-1 Region 1 champ, Owen Klimas.

3. 157 lbs - #1 John Knight (Bridgeport) vs #3 Ethan Kay

With a different pill, this matchup could have been an amazing finals matchup. it is a shame that they are matching if up in the quarterfinals, but it should be a very good match.

Potential Semifinal matchups

1. 132 lbs - #3 Matthew McAfee (Saint Albans) vs #1 Jacob Perry (Spring Mills)

Matthew’s draw of University #4 seed Carter Pauley in the quarters makes his road to this matchup perilous. This will be the first of a potential two revenge matchups for Matthew as he tries to win his third state championship.

2. 144 lbs - #3 Troy Harris (Woodrow Wilson) vs #1 Joe Riggs (Huntington)

An undefeated Troy Harris at 28-0 vs the Huntington Hammer Joe Riggs. It should be a very good matchup

3. 150 lbs - #1 Moses Eads (St. Albans) vs. #3 Makiya Powell (Parkersburg South)

Another matchup that would have been an amazing Finals matchup.

Potential Championship Matchups

1. 190 lbs - #2 Brycen Arthur (Parkersburg South) vs #1 Robert Shockey (Cabell Midland)

A potential rematch of their 3-2 regional finals matchup.

2.. 215 lbs - #1 Tyler Wise (Bridgeport) vs #2 Ayden Morris (Parkersburg South)

#1 vs. #2 in the state at 215 with South possibly needing the win for a state title.

3. 132 lbs - #1 Jacob Perry/#3 Matthew McAfee vs. #2 Tyler Rourk

It’s either the top 2 ranked kids in the state hooking up for a great finals or Matthew McAfee trying to complete the second leg of his revenge tour to win his 3rd state title.

HiCoach

Re: Top Must See Thursday Matchups/ Potential Matchups in Later Rounds

Postby HiCoach » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:57 am

I think the toughest first round match of the whole tournament is #4 Haydn Spitznogle vs #5 Tucker Lilly. I think either of these guys could've potentially made the finals.

LMob0621

Re: Top Must See Thursday Matchups/ Potential Matchups in Later Rounds

Postby LMob0621 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:20 pm

Thanks… got it marked down and will be looking for it.

Return to “High School Wrestling”