Rule Changes for 2024 season

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Panther_coach

Rule Changes for 2024 season

Postby Panther_coach » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 pm

High school wrestling rules changes.

Here are the new rule changes for high school wrestling beginning with the 2024-25 season from the NFHS.

- **Inbounds Rule Change**: Now only one point of contact of either wrestler needs to be inside or on the boundary line to be considered inbounds. Previously, two supporting points were required.

- **Near-Fall Points Adjustment**: Points for a near-fall have been revised to:
- Two points for two seconds,
- Three points for three seconds,
- Four points for four seconds,
- Five points if injury or bleeding occurs after a four-point near-fall.

- **Takedown Points Increase**: Wrestlers will now earn three match points for a takedown, instead of the previous two points.

- **Technical Fall Update**: If a takedown or reversal leads directly to near-fall criteria that creates a 15-point advantage, the match will continue until the near-fall criteria is no longer met.

- **10-Foot Circle Optional**: The 10-foot circle at the center of wrestling mats is now optional. Wrestlers are encouraged to stay in the center of the mat, which is indicated by the starting lines.

- **New Referee’s Time-Out Signal**: The new signal involves both hands/fingers pointing inward to the referee’s chest, similar to other sports.

These changes were approved by the NFHS Wrestling Rules Committee and are aimed at reducing subjectivity in calls, improving consistency, and enhancing the understanding of rules among wrestlers, coaches, and spectators.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

mscoach4

Re: Rule Changes for 2024 season

Postby mscoach4 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:36 pm

NFHS link to the rule changes
https://www.nfhs.org/articles/participants-now-inbounds-with-one-point-of-contact-in-high-school-wrestling/
Basically they have moved to the college rules with the exception of adding a riding time point

aacoach117

Postby aacoach117 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:51 am

Panther_coach wrote:High school wrestling rules changes.
- Five points if injury or bleeding occurs after a four-point near-fall.

- **Technical Fall Update**: If a takedown or reversal leads directly to near-fall criteria that creates a 15-point advantage, the match will continue until the near-fall criteria is no longer met.

Really like those two changes. The five point rule addresses the voluntary injury timeout while in a nearfall situation.

I can't recall the last time I saw a ref stop a match for a techfall while the winning wrestlers was about to earn a fall, but at least it is clarified now.

mscoach90

Postby mscoach90 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:10 pm

I personally like the rule changes. I have spoken to several coaches/wrestlers who do not share my opinion. They feel it is basically a take down tournament. I feel the opportunity to score from top will be doubled with the 2-3-4-5 near fall criteria. Just curious on others thoughts.

Mike Kay

Postby Mike Kay » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:08 pm

I'm also in favor of rule changes, should intensive the matches, true 3 point takedown will favor some wrestlers over others, solution work harder get better, also like encouraging wrestlers to stay in center of mat hope this comes with stalling warnings and points awarded to give it some bite.

aacoach117

Postby aacoach117 » Wed May 01, 2024 1:24 pm

mscoach90 wrote:I personally like the rule changes. I have spoken to several coaches/wrestlers who do not share my opinion. They feel it is basically a take down tournament. I feel the opportunity to score from top will be doubled with the 2-3-4-5 near fall criteria. Just curious on others thoughts.

I see the logic, but I don't see the argument that 1 point makes that much of a difference. My only concern would be that it will result in more stalling because wrestlers are more worried about defending the takedown because of the extra point. Now a takedown can't be nullified by a reversal just like a takedown couldn't be nullified by an escape before.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu May 02, 2024 8:12 am

Hopefully they enforce the center of the circle aspect now in the rules, it has been frustrating over the years watching wrestlers from some schools who have been taught to "wrestle the edge" with a lead in a match. The technique was permitted within the rules and perhaps smart wrestling to win matches but none the less frustrating to watch.

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:16 am

I like the rule change and thought it helped speed up college matches. We will see a lot more tech falls.

aacoach117

Postby aacoach117 » Thu May 02, 2024 1:31 pm

mscoach4 wrote:Hopefully they enforce the center of the circle aspect now in the rules, it has been frustrating over the years watching wrestlers from some schools who have been taught to "wrestle the edge" with a lead in a match. The technique was permitted within the rules and perhaps smart wrestling to win matches but none the less frustrating to watch.

Agreed, but it won't matter if they wrestle the middle or the edge if they get away with backing away and refusing to wrestle for the entire 3rd period and don't get a stall warning until the last 8 seconds. Some refs do a great job calling it and some seem to have never heard of stalling.

Return to “High School Wrestling”