Rankings are trash

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Theaveragefan

Rankings are trash

Postby Theaveragefan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:35 am

These rankings are extremely inaccurate, there are wrestlers thrown in here in the top 3-5 that have been beaten by 2-3 of this kids 6-/.

guard0544

Re: Rankings are trash

Postby guard0544 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:44 am

Sometimes results are not posted so they are not factored in. Sometimes things may be inadvertently overlooked. The coaches have an opportunity to chime in before the rankings are released in an effort to get things as accurate as possible. If you feel something has been overlooked, emailing the address on the front page and pointing it out may help with the next ranking. I know they put a lot of effort into trying to get things right, based on the results on the mat.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:03 am

...<snip>

Excal62

Postby Excal62 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:15 am

These rankings are for entertainment and have no bearing on seedlings at regionals. Most of us realize this and just sit back and wait for everything to work itself out as it usually does. Let's wrestle!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:59 am

Rankings in the forum are opinion and nothing more. Getting upset about it is pointless. People are biased and will rank a kid from their area over a better wrestler just because they know him without any logic or reasoning. It isn't uncommon to see a wrestler who has lost multiple times to another wrestler or has consistently finished lower in tournaments behind another wrestler ranked ahead of that wrestler by someone by someone who knows him and thinks this is "his year".

CommonSense

Postby CommonSense » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:00 am

Rankings are never even remotely accurate until after Winners Choice. Some of them are actually pretty comical.

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:44 am

When does the Sam files come out

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 am

I am amazed at how people keep suggesting individual rankings are opinion, despite all the effort Doc Miller goes through to encourage coaches to report results and participate in helping him get the order correct. There is some grey area at times, but they are not meant to be opinions. They are results-based, head-to-head and common opponents whenever they do exist, so yes, if correct, they can be useful when seeding a tournament. They are an indicator of how our wrestlers are ordered at the present time an not necessarily how one believes they will finish at the state tournament If you think there are kids out of order, it is most likely because your own coach did not point out the result or error and just let it go. If it doesn't get fixed, it gets published the way it is. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy thing- if coaches laugh at it and don't participate, then obviously it will be skewed. Then it is very easy to say, I told you they are meaningless. In the end, the wrestling is always settled on the mat, of course, but as long as people make a mockery of the rankings and don't see them as having any informational value to the public as far as indicating a tentative rank, they are never going to be accurately adjusted and become what they could be. Team ranking, on the other hand, is a little more opinionated, and of course the old Fan Poll was entirely opinion.

fireman

Postby fireman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:04 am

Its the first one !! relax. Go back and look at the last few years. buy the last set of rankings its very close. For most of us its not trash... sorry it upsets some. post your scores and don't allow your wrestlers to avoid matches to keep records up. sorry,,,,, I like it and its fun to watch the changes. Great job coaches !

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:21 am

I think the person who commented on the rankings being someones opinion...was likely referencing posts such as the "top 10" post TrueSouthFaninPburg posted a day or so ago. They likely were unaware wvmat rankings came out today, and probably thought the person ranting in this post was referring to the "top 10" post from yesterday.

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:23 am

<snip>. Doc and coaches do in excellent job of doing the rankings and if you look at the end result its pretty much right on! You need to relax a little bit the wrestling is settled on the mat. If we didnt have the polls you would be complaining about not having them, be grateful some people are trying to make the rankings and see how it pans out. Doc great job as always!

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:26 am

Okay, I see. That could be the case.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:35 am

guard0544 wrote:I think the person who commented on the rankings being someones opinion...was likely referencing posts such as the "top 10" post TrueSouthFaninPburg posted a day or so ago. They likely were unaware wvmat rankings came out today, and probably thought the person ranting in this post was referring to the "top 10" post from yesterday.

You are correct.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:58 am

These rankings are extremely inaccurate, there are wrestlers thrown in here in the top 3-5 that have been beaten by 2-3 of this kids 6-/.

Which ones? Who? When?

We may well have made mistakes, overlooked results, or didn't get results in the first place. But an effort is made to refine this as the season progresses, and try to get it as reasonable as possible.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

jofus

Postby jofus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:45 pm

I don't know about trash, and I know they don't really mean anything, they change during the season, etc. And Lord knows I wouldn't even want to attempt it, much respect to the time that gets put into it.

But, they do mean something to some of the wrestlers. I'm not sure how you can beat no. 3 and 4 in A/AA in your weight class, plus no. 2 and 3 in AAA in your weight class, plus no. 5 in 120 AAA, all in this season, only losing once so far (to a powerade champion) and be ranked behind someone you beat two out of two times last season that doesn't appear to have wrestled hardly anyone in the rankings yet. But, I know there are a lot of kids to look at, and obviously I looked at a much smaller group.

But, that's OK, because some wrestlers wrestle better with a chip on their shoulder, so it's all good :)

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:54 pm

re: Jofus

Have the results of all those matches you reference been posted to wvmat? If not, that is the answer to your "Im not sure how you can beat this guy and that guy..."

jofus

Postby jofus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:21 pm

Yup, they're all posted. But no biggie, a little extra incentive, while not necessary, never hurts :)

aacoach79

Postby aacoach79 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Average fan.....Maybe you should take some time like the rest of us and post some results or even an update on which ones you refer to as trash and maybe they can be corrected. I think that you are misunderstood as to the purpose of these rankings. I doubt that they could ever be 100% correct until the state tournament.

CommonSense..........which ones are comical to you ??? Maybe they can be corrected if they've wrested !?!?

Jofus ......Very confusing post ! Who are you talking about with that comment that couldn't be ranked ?? Lol :lol:

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:42 pm

sorry coaches but i must respond to the few negetive comments i received about my top 10. your picks overall were not bad, but i don't understand-----106-bower-hunt (4-8) #9, 113-wilson-wash (2-6) #4, 182-criddle-ss(8-9), 182-hutchinson-hunt(4-9), 285-mccoy-hunt (6-7), 285-boggs-buck (1-2) #8 or 285-mcle-uni (5-7) #10. hylton from hamp is 19-7 at 106, armsfrom riv is 13-6 at 113. chance from hurr is 6-2 at 182, mccune from phs is 14-4 at 285, lear fro hedge is 20-4 at 285 and watts from winfield is 14-9 at 285. i got all my results only from wvmat.com. i encourage all the people who have negative thoghts about my picks to make copies of mine and the coaches and see who is more accurate at the end of the season. again coaches ni'm sorry if i hurt any bodies feelings but i just had to defend myself and your picks are very far from being trash.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Jofus:

I presume you are talking about Logan Robertson, the fine wrestler for Greenbrier West, third at 120 last year, who is ranked #2 behind #1 Corey Secrist for Petersburg, who was runner-up at 120 last year.

You have a point.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

jofus

Postby jofus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:19 pm

Dr. Miller,

You are correct. Again, I only noticed that one because I have a "little" personal interest in that particular situation 8-) , and also again, it's not a big deal, it all works out in the end. They will probably wrestle next weekend, it should be a good one. I shouldn't even have mentioned it, I apologize. I don't envy you for doing the rankings, I can only imagine the effort in trying to sort through everything :)

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:25 pm

Caleb Nice #3 @220 behind Dakota Price from Oak Glen? I believe Nice is undefeated (18-0 I think, but they wrestled last night and I am unsure of those results). Price has two losses to out of state wrestlers (not really a factor) and was pinned by unranked BJ Haynes from Ripley at the John Marshall Duals.

Blast_Double

Postby Blast_Double » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:08 pm

I think that 2 AA/A Region 4 heavyweights, Cales of Greenbrier West and Heath of Indy will be near the top of the rankings before too long. I know Heath has had a few quality wins, albeit out of state, and it appears Cales has not had many matches yet (not sure if he is injured).

CommonSense

Postby CommonSense » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:41 pm

aacoach79 I won't come on and call kids out and say which ones don't deserve to be as high as they are. Some are very obvious and are just funny to me. Thats why I said they don't matter until after WC.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:58 pm

I noticed that Robertson and Secrist were paired on opposite sides of the brackets at the state tournament and at the WSAZ's last year. Did they meet up last year at all and how about this year? WSAZ's this year perhaps? That would be a good match to watch.
Moderator WV Mat

jofus

Postby jofus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Gator,

They wrestled at Braxton last year in the finals, Logan won 7-2 (maybe 9-2? 9-4? something in that ballpark, my memory is shot). They wrestled for third at the Z's, and Logan won 4-2 in a very tight match. They will probably meet next week at Braxton, and then possibly at Z's again.

jofus

Postby jofus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:09 pm

Blast_Double wrote:I think that 2 AA/A Region 4 heavyweights, Cales of Greenbrier West and Heath of Indy will be near the top of the rankings before too long. I know Heath has had a few quality wins, albeit out of state, and it appears Cales has not had many matches yet (not sure if he is injured).

Cales wrestled at Point Pleasant, and had a couple matches at West a couple weeks ago and one last week at Ripley. He missed the Cabell Midland tournament. He's a good looking freshman HW.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:37 pm

My 3rd cousin " truesouthfaninpburg" is the best "picker" that I've ever seen. Although , that being said ...he usually comes up short on finals night.
And I don't blame him one bit for responding to criticism!

coach999

Postby coach999 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Great job Doc and Coaches that report. Rankings give kids a goal or a reason to prove themselves. Rankings makes it fun for the fans, and I really appreciate all the time and effort put into posting rankings. In the end, rankings are always close to the results. Sure they are not perfect in the beginning, but who cares. Watching a kid work his way up in the rankings throughout the season is exciting and gives a kid motivation and something to be proud of, along with making them aware of the competition throughout the state. It will all workout in Huntington!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:57 pm

The rankings will sort themselves out even more accurately soon.

Robertson is off to a great start. He has caught my eye in the WVMAT results.

Ripley's Haynes is a bad match for anybody. He beat Mills of HHS last season. He lost to Newhart-Koreski by 1 point at the state tournament. Of course Mills went back up to 220 and was the runner up. Koreski won at 195lbs. There is something there with Haynes.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”