Intercepted Memo from Coach Bill Archer

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
admin
Site Admin

Intercepted Memo from Coach Bill Archer

Postby admin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:19 pm

I have been asked to clear up a few things.

Youth Tournament in Huntington

After hosting the WSAZ and State Tournaments the last thing we need to do is host a youth tournament. We do not have anything to do with the youth tournament in Huntington. We are not for or against any thing that has to do with youth wrestling. I am sure whoever needs info can find who to contract on WVMat.

Seeding or number of wrestlers at the state tournament

If the coaches committee brings this up to bring all wrestlers to the state tournament or seeding of the state tournament and it gets through the WVSSAC and their board. Then that is the way whoever is running the state has to do it.

Remember-The WVSSAC makes an effort to keep the sports as close as possible (sometimes it works and sometimes it does not). I can not see them approving everyone making it to states. We really don't care, we have had 70 to 90 teams at the WSAZ before and we use 12 mats now. When I checked several years ago, I couldn't find any state that truly seeded.

The WVSSAC gives around $19,000 to the schools for the expenses for the state each year. Everybody coming would cost around $57,000 by the current rate in their handbook.

You could and probably need to add a session on Thursday morning. Also, some regional's make a profit, some don't.

Any High School Coach can bring up any issue at the coaches meeting at the state tournament.

Anything voted on there by the majority of the coaches is presented to the WVSSAC.

Bill Archer
State and WSAZ Tournament Director
If you have any questions, you can give me a call.
304-208-5729
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Bearhugger

Re: Intercepted Memo from Coach Bill Archer

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:50 pm

To clarify, the $19,000 is for what? A team's expenses for the state tournament? The region and state combined?

I would figure that budgeted number of $19,000 is for 14 wrestlers. Most teams do not have full squads.

As for everybody going to the state tournament, that has never been suggested based on what I have read on WVMAT.

I have expressed the idea of allowing JV wrestlers compete in the REGIONAL tournament. If they wrestle through and qualify, then let them compete in the state tournament. If Mingo Central qualifies 4 wrestlers from their varsity and they qualify 1 JV wrestler, then the school is sending 5 wrestlers. This is a more realistic scenario. Is that one kid going to cause the school to go bankrupt?

Parkersburg South might be the school with a good problem. They could qualify their whole varsity team and 1 to 6 JV kids. Well, if they need more money, then Gator can have a bake sale.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”