OVAC SEEDS !

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
TrueSouthFanInPburg

OVAC SEEDS !

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:40 pm

OK, the seed meeting was yesterday. How about posting the seeds somewhere on here or the OVAEC site !

JennyHannan

Re: OVAC SEEDS !

Postby JennyHannan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:25 pm

Um, they've been up since about 7:45 p.m.

You need to click on OVAC Tournaments on the home page, then click on 2016 OVAC Ron Mauck Tournament.

JennyHannan

Postby JennyHannan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:25 pm

The home page of OVAeC.org, that is.

JennyHannan

Postby JennyHannan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:27 pm

And one more thing: It's standard procedure for the OVAC to not release any information until after the Monday evening press conference. They've been doing it that way for as long as I can remember.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:35 pm

I see Logan Ball is back and wrestling for an Ohio team.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

WrestlingxFanatic

Postby WrestlingxFanatic » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:36 pm

Looking through some of the seeding.... It just seems to me like a big popularity contest for some of the weights when it comes to voting for seeds. I don't know all of the criteria that falls into it, but I just am not a fan at all of the OVAC seeding. I've have always heard bad feedback from the seeding meeting that takes place for this tournament.

One of my biggest complaints is there are a lot of coaches who drink the koolaid that coaches give them about their kid when putting them up for a seed and don't take into consideration that teams strength of schedule. I don't want to knock any specific kid because that's definitely unnecessary. However, a few kids with undefeated records or 1 loss wrestle very very weak schedules and/or receive a lot of forfeits. It's not the kids fault by any means, but you get kids from South or Steubenville, for example, who wrestle North Canton, some at Ironman, etc, get a couple losses at those type of tournaments, and get seeded lower because a lot of coaches buy into their flashy record, without any research into WHO they wrestle. Just my 2 cents. Figured this is an open forum, so why not throw a few comments.

I suppose the best will rise to the top no matter what. Should be some great matches this upcoming weekend! Good luck and I hope everyone leaves Wes Banco healthy and injury free! Safe travels.

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:44 pm

WrestlingxFanatic wrote:Looking through some of the seeding.... It just seems to me like a big popularity contest for some of the weights when it comes to voting for seeds. I don't know all of the criteria that falls into it, but I just am not a fan at all of the OVAC seeding. I've have always heard bad feedback from the seeding meeting that takes place for this tournament.

One of my biggest complaints is there are a lot of coaches who drink the koolaid that coaches give them about their kid when putting them up for a seed and don't take into consideration that teams strength of schedule. I don't want to knock any specific kid because that's definitely unnecessary. However, a few kids with undefeated records or 1 loss wrestle very very weak schedules and/or receive a lot of forfeits. It's not the kids fault by any means, but you get kids from South or Steubenville, for example, who wrestle North Canton, some at Ironman, etc, get a couple losses at those type of tournaments, and get seeded lower because a lot of coaches buy into their flashy record, without any research into WHO they wrestle. Just my 2 cents. Figured this is an open forum, so why not throw a few comments.

I suppose the best will rise to the top no matter what. Should be some great matches this upcoming weekend! Good luck and I hope everyone leaves Wes Banco healthy and injury free! Safe travels.

So are you for or against the pill?

WrestlingxFanatic

Postby WrestlingxFanatic » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:55 pm

I don't see how you can fairly seed the state tournament so I suppose that makes me for the pill. I'd love to find a way to fairly seed it, but I just don't see it being geographically possible.

The OVAC is different. It's never been on a pill format that I know of and many of the teams are pretty familiar with one another. You have many great wrestlers in a lot of weights. I will note one example I strongly disagreed with. Luke Martin at 113 should not be seeded 3rd. I believe he should easily be seeded 1st. He is the ONLY returning placer in that weight class. He was a runner-up last year at the OVAC tournament. He placed 3rd at the state tournament last year. I don't see how the 2 ahead of him got seeded higher. Both I am sure are fine wrestlers, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I overlooked a result or something? Instead of facing the #4, Martin will have to face the #2. It very well could possibly be no big deal at all when it's all said and done. Just seems the other 2 got the popularity vote at the meeting.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:04 pm

Another one that stood out to me was 220. Wolfe of South is seeded 8th and just defeated #4 Myers(WP) 2-1 OT and defeated #5 Moore of Steubenville 7-3 both at the Wheeling Duals.
Moderator WV Mat

WrestlingxFanatic

Postby WrestlingxFanatic » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:07 pm

Also, Jashon Hubbard from Steubenville is 0-1 and seeded 1st at 132. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good wrestler. I believe he placed top 3 in the state of Ohio last year as a freshman. But, he's only wrestled 1 partial match this year and jumped up 4 weight classes from last year. It just seems he got the #1 seed off of a popularity vote. I don't see it being fair to the other top contenders at that weight, specifically Coniker and Bozek (OG), who have wrestled all season, done very well, and are in shape and seasoned. My rant is with all good intentions. I just figured I'd throw this out to the forum to see others thoughts. Whether it's for or against my reasoning, I love hearing it.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Wrestlingfanatic, you complaining saying their seeds never make sense, here is last year's seeds in order of finish:

106: 1 3 4 5 6 2
113: 1 2 3 7 8 5
120: 1 2 4 5 6 7
126: 1 6 5 4 7 2
132: 1 2 3 5 4 6
138: 1 3 2 4 6 5
145: 1 3 4 2 8 x
152: 1 2 3 4 5 7
160: 1 6 2 3 4 5
170 1 2 4 3 5 6
182 1 2 3 6 5 4
195: 1 2 4 5 3 7
220: 1 3 2 5 4 7
285: 2 1 6 4 3 x

The 1's were in all 14 finals. The 2's were correct in 8 of the finals. 3's made finals 4 times. 2 outside of top 3 made a run. Only 2 non seeded in top 8 placed.

Looks like they do a pretty good job to me.

WrestlingxFanatic

Postby WrestlingxFanatic » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:22 pm

J.W. wrote:Wrestlingfanatic, you complaining saying their seeds never make sense, here is last year's seeds in order of finish:

106: 1 3 4 5 6 2
113: 1 2 3 7 8 5
120: 1 2 4 5 6 7
126: 1 6 5 4 7 2
132: 1 2 3 5 4 6
138: 1 3 2 4 6 5
145: 1 3 4 2 8 x
152: 1 2 3 4 5 7
160: 1 6 2 3 4 5
170 1 2 4 3 5 6
182 1 2 3 6 5 4
195: 1 2 4 5 3 7
220: 1 3 2 5 4 7
285: 2 1 6 4 3 x

The 1's were in all 14 finals. The 2's were correct in 8 of the finals. 3's made finals 4 times. 2 outside of top 3 made a run. Only 2 non seeded in top 8 placed.

Looks like they do a pretty good job to me.

My argument isn't the wrong 8 get seeded. My argument is where they're seeded, specifically the top 3. And, I don't want to come off as a big complainer. I am just looking for others feedback and thoughts. I appreciate the research. The #1 in many cases can benefit facing the #4 when a weight class drops off after the top 3, for example. I've seen it happen. Referring to an earlier example, Luke Martin has to battle an undefeated kid in the semis whereas he could have faced possibly a better matchup for himself had he been seeded properly at 1.

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:36 am

Logan found a loophole in the system and got a 5th year of eligibility for high school but had to wrestle out of state.

shaggy71

Postby shaggy71 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:02 pm

The OVAC seeding like many seeding meetings are far from being perfect. Looking at what JW posted the coached did a great job last year.
When the seeding meeting start the wrestlers in each weighclass are put into order from last years placement, then State placement, and also adding in jr high placement, then by winning percentage. Each wrestler is then brought up by the criteria. At anytime a coach can bring in his wrestler to challenge the wrestler on the board for the seed. If 2 or more wrestler are in the board at the same time then it becomes a coaches vote. This year we had 40 coaches! Each coach get s a vote wrestler with most votes get the seed and the process starts over for the next seed.

at 113 I also had Martin ranked 1st. I was not in the room for this weight but, i guess the coached felt JM speech was better and that Shad kid was 26-0. That leads into strength of schedule, which is a problem when seeding school with VERY different populations PS is probably 5 times if not more bigger then Shad. So you would think their schedules would be different. Is their a " Good old boys Club" when it comes to voting absolutely!!

at 132 I also had Hubbard ranked 2nd, I guess the coach seen different in the meeting, he is also the only wrestler in OVAC history to be seeded number one with a losing record!

at 220 PS coach did not put up Wolfe for a seed? This is something we call "Sandbagging" You let all the other wrestlers go up on the board then you sit back look at the bracket and pick the best spot for your wrestler. Not make an wise crack towards the coach this has been done in the past and will happen again!

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:14 pm

If you bothered to look at my post time you would see it was 7:40. For some reason when you post on here the posts are listed one hour later than your original post time meaning my post was at 6:40. (i would think you of all people would have noticed that) You said the seeds were posted about 7:45. And i don't think most people on here are aware of how and when the ovaEc posts the seeds after the sunday meeting.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:41 pm

Why are comments listed an hour ahead of when they are actually posted???? I have often wondered that. Does it have something to do with the Government?
Go South.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:00 pm

WrestlingxFanatic wrote:Looking through some of the seeding.... It just seems to me like a big popularity contest for some of the weights when it comes to voting for seeds. I don't know all of the criteria that falls into it, but I just am not a fan at all of the OVAC seeding. I've have always heard bad feedback from the seeding meeting that takes place for this tournament.

That is why anytime I go to a seeding meeting I state the wrestler's record and how he/she placed at particular meets. We also must remember that most major meets like this give "extra credit" to former champions. I have seen wrestlers with a lesser record that were a former placer get seeded higher than someone with a considerably stronger record. It happens both ways.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:03 pm

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:If you bothered to look at my post time you would see it was 7:40. For some reason when you post on here the posts are listed one hour later than your original post time meaning my post was at 6:40. (i would think you of all people would have noticed that) You said the seeds were posted about 7:45. And i don't think most people on here are aware of how and when the ovaEc posts the seeds after the sunday meeting.

You can fix that time thing. in the upper right corner click your username, then click "User Control Panel" then click the "Board Preferences" tab. There you can change the clock to your current time. For some reason the default clock setting is one hour ahead of our actual time.

WrestlingxFanatic

Postby WrestlingxFanatic » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:09 pm

shaggy71 wrote:The OVAC seeding like many seeding meetings are far from being perfect. Looking at what JW posted the coached did a great job last year.
When the seeding meeting start the wrestlers in each weighclass are put into order from last years placement, then State placement, and also adding in jr high placement, then by winning percentage. Each wrestler is then brought up by the criteria. At anytime a coach can bring in his wrestler to challenge the wrestler on the board for the seed. If 2 or more wrestler are in the board at the same time then it becomes a coaches vote. This year we had 40 coaches! Each coach get s a vote wrestler with most votes get the seed and the process starts over for the next seed.

at 113 I also had Martin ranked 1st. I was not in the room for this weight but, i guess the coached felt JM speech was better and that Shad kid was 26-0. That leads into strength of schedule, which is a problem when seeding school with VERY different populations PS is probably 5 times if not more bigger then Shad. So you would think their schedules would be different. Is their a " Good old boys Club" when it comes to voting absolutely!!

at 132 I also had Hubbard ranked 2nd, I guess the coach seen different in the meeting, he is also the only wrestler in OVAC history to be seeded number one with a losing record!

at 220 PS coach did not put up Wolfe for a seed? This is something we call "Sandbagging" You let all the other wrestlers go up on the board then you sit back look at the bracket and pick the best spot for your wrestler. Not make an wise crack towards the coach this has been done in the past and will happen again!

Thank you for the info Shaggy! I've heard many "sandbagging" stories when it comes to seeding at the OVAC. I noticed the 132 had a 0-1 record. I suppose you'll have the "Good Old Boys Club" anywhere. Some of the weights made me scratch my head. Thanks again for the info!

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:55 pm

I think everyone knows that Hubbard is the real deal and will be in the finals barring a major upset, no matter where he is seeded. The Shadyside 113 is very good and is an accomplished freshman. I believe he will give Martin all he can handle. As we all know, seeding is not an exact science. You still have to win 5 in a row at OVAC's to be the Champion not matter where you start! Good luck to all of the athletes at this great tournament!

2015DeBee106

Postby 2015DeBee106 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:32 pm

noshowjoe wrote:Logan found a loophole in the system and got a 5th year of eligibility for high school but had to wrestle out of state.

I don't see how he can still wrestle in it though. I know in WV you can't wrestle for any more than 4 seasons and your age must meet the cutoff date. I see how he's thinking with this loophole, but seeing how OVACs is affiliated with BOTH WV and OH and takes place in WV. He can't wrestle in it. I say the loophole is a dud and overruled by the statement above mentioned.

JennyHannan

Postby JennyHannan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:40 am

I'm sure the first two comments about Logan Ball were jokes, but just in case 2015DeBee106 isn't joking, the Logan Ball in this year's tournament is a junior who has wrestled all three years for Cambridge. :)

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:12 pm

I was joking with Bearhugger and im sure he was to.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:06 pm

Looking forward to watching a possible 126 match between WV state champ Jackson Henson and Ironman champ Tariq Wilson.
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:52 pm

No, it is our Logan Ball. He has borrowed the mask from the mystery 195 pounder to keep his eligibility a secret.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:22 pm

That 5th year of eligibility was put to good use. Congratulations to Logan Ball in finishing third in a weight class that was the showcase of the tournament.

Return to “High School Wrestling”