Henson vs Wilson the finale for the OVAC

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
jsams

Postby jsams » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Should be a good one

aacoach61

Re: Henson vs Wilson the finale for the OVAC

Postby aacoach61 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:17 pm

126 lbs

#1 seed Tariq Wilson of Steubenvile won the Walsh Ironman and is presently ranked #1 in Ohio and #9 in the USA by InterMat. He is an NC State commit.

#2 seed Jackson Henson of University is undefeated and ranked #1 in WV AAA. His only career loss came in the OVAC finals last year as a freshman. He is the son of WVU Head Wrestling Coach and Olympic Silver Medalist Sammie "The Bull" Henson.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:36 pm

And they saved it for the last match of the finals!
Moderator WV Mat

jsams

Postby jsams » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Wasn't even close, Wilson is on another level. Great wrestler

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:45 pm

Better be. Wilson going to college. Henson going into junior year. I think both will be alright in their wrestling futures. Congrats to Wilson. The future is Henson's.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:46 am

Wilson is very tough on his feet. Tall with great reach. To Jackson's credit, he worked hard and never gave up. Wilson will join the 3rd ranked college program next year and should do well. J.W. is correct that Jackson has 2 more seasons to grow and get even better. Not good for his future opponents!
Moderator WV Mat

gnat

Postby gnat » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:02 pm

A bit ridiculous to save this match for the end. It's high school not college or world finals. OVAC officials shouldn't put more pressure on these kids or put the other kids in the finals in the shadows. Bad move by ovac in my opinion.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:24 pm

I have to disagree and think it was a great idea. First, not the first time the did this. Second we should be doing everything we can to promote a dying sport. How many people would have left right after that match and not watch the rest of the finals. ALL the fine young kids deserve to be seen, I am sure the people who did stay saw a lot of great matches that they wouldn't have. Third, the TV ratings were probably higher because of the fact they watched more matches. I am sure the two fine young men could handle the extra pressure if any. I am sure that was the last thing on their minds. Hats off to the O.V.A.C as always they show case the KIDS, It is a tournament they will remember the rest of their lives.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:22 pm

To expand on "Forthekids'" statement, there is always a mass Exodus at many tournaments when a given school's last wrestler is finished. Fewer people stay for the final match when they run in order of weight class.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

jsams

Postby jsams » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:40 pm

It was very intelligent to put that match last, great ending for a excellent tournament.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Same thing happens at the toughest high school tournament in the country...the Ironman. It did keep most everyone around for the last match and I think that it put the spotlight on Tariq and Jackson and rewarded them for what they had accomplished. I think they both were excited to "get it on" at center mat.
Moderator WV Mat

russling

Postby russling » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:18 pm

Very good idea. I was going to leave after the Wilson match but had to stay to the end. Theses kids love the pressure especially the good ones.

jscallen

Postby jscallen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:21 pm

I totally agree with "For the Kids" and anyone else that believes that if there is a premier match in the finals of a tournament or a dual that it should be the last match of the evening. Each wrestler has worked hard all season and deserves to be seen until the finals are over. It's disappointing to see the stands empty after the premier match has been wrestled. Of course this is just my opinion.

Return to “High School Wrestling”