New Regions AAA - WOW

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mscoach57

New Regions AAA - WOW

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:40 pm

Region 1 Brooke, Buck Up, John Marshall, Morgantown, Preston, University, Wheeling Park

Region 2 Hampshire, Hedgesville, Jefferson, Martinsburg, Musselman, Spring Mills, Washington

Region 3 Capital, GW, Greenbrier East, Princeton, RIPLEY, Riverside, South Charleston, Woodrow Wilson

Region 4 Cabell Midland, Huntington, Hurricane, PHS, South, Spring Valley, St Albans

Region 1 wrestling coaches are celebrating tonight.
Region 2 I don't know what to say. I am trying to keep within the forum rules but there are middle school wrestlers who would place high and possibly win this region.
Region 3 This region has 8 teams while the other regions only have 7 but looking at a map it appears that Ripley is gerrymandered into a regional championship and qualifying as many as they have on the roster for state. GW will be in a similar position.
Region 4 will have some weight classes where #5 would beat #1 in other regions. The
When making the schedule South will need to choose between creating matchups for seeding the ovac tournament or creating matchups for seeding in the region 4 tournament.
If PHS is leaving MSAC then they will need to continue to schedule region 4 teams

mscoach90

Re: New Regions AAA - WOW

Postby mscoach90 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:56 pm

Has the new regions officially been decided yet, and if so where can they be seen?

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:12 pm

?
Last edited by mscoach57 on Mon May 16, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aacoach30

Postby aacoach30 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Wow!

Region 4!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:01 pm

Ok, the time is now.
1. The coaches need to get more involved in the rankings that take place all season long.

2. Giving 5th and 6th ranked kids a shot at the state tournament needs to be implemented.

In addition, there will be a bigger cluster in AA/A once the AAA schools drop down and the AA/A regions are reworked.

If things are left as they are now, there will be better wrestlers staying home and lower level kids going to the state tournament.

I HOPE PEOPLE ACT NOW BEFORE SOME UNFORTUNATE KIDS STAY HOME AFTER THE REGIONAL TOURNAMENTS.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Ok, the time is now.
1. The coaches need to get more involved in the rankings that take place all season long.

2. Giving 5th and 6th ranked kids a shot at the state tournament needs to be implemented.

In addition, there will be a bigger cluster in AA/A once the AAA schools drop down and the AA/A regions are reworked.

If things are left as they are now, there will be better wrestlers staying home and lower level kids going to the state tournament.

I HOPE PEOPLE ACT NOW BEFORE SOME UNFORTUNATE KIDS STAY HOME AFTER THE REGIONAL TOURNAMENTS.

Regarding "Giving 5th and 6th ranked kids a shot at the state tournament needs to be implemented"

Example: The new region 4 has six kids ranked in the top six.

1. The region 4 tournament occurs and wrestlers ranked 1 through 4 finish 1 through 4. The 5th and 6th ranked kids wrestle for 5th and 6th.
2. The 5th place wrestler could be assigned to wrestle a pig tail match Thursday afternoon against a 4th place finisher from another region. This could be against the 4th place region finisher who has the worst record.
3. The winner moves on. The loser goes to consolation.
4. I suggest keeping all wrestlers at the state tournament at double elimination.

As for the coaches voting in the rankings, that is a simple "put forth the effort and do it" situation.

This could be done with minimal effort.

I VOLUNTEER MY SERVICES NEXT YEAR to assist in any way needed to facilitate NEW changes to who can wrestle in the state tournament.

1. I am self employed.

2. I already take time off during the entire week of regionals and the state tournament. I can be available next year.

3. MBA

4. Most important, I see major change needed for WV wrestling to focus on the wrestlers "who are out for the sport" and to adjust to these population driven changes to classifications and regions.

5. I am not volunteering to work the state tournament. I need to watch the matches. I am volunteering to work from regional Saturday night until Thursday morning of the state tournament. That is where any additional administrative work would need to be handled to make any changes happen.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:20 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Ok, the time is now.

Please explain how you would do it without controversy. Every year ranked wrestlers don't make the state tournament. You will never make everyone happy.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:33 pm

I did, but I will expand.

1. The coaches need to make a better effort in ranking the kids.

2. The last ranking BEFORE regionals is the top ten ranking that should be used.

3. The regional tournament happen.

4. In order for a 5th/6th regional place wrestler to be eligible for "wild card" status, the top 4 qualifiers in his region MUST be ranked in the top ten previously.

5. With only 10 ranked wrestlers and 4 regions, I really doubt there is going to be that many situations where we have a wild card wrestler to deal with. We could use this year's series of events as a trial run to see how many wrestlers fall into this category.

6. Most important, whatever the rules and criteria is, I am sure it would be announced at the beginning of the season. Every wrestler and every coach would have all season to do what they have to do.

Every season, people have talked about ranked kids not making the state tournament already. The new classifications and the new regions will make this situation more common rather than more rare.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:00 pm

Given Information:

1. Alleged New Regionals:

Region 1 Brooke, Buck Up, John Marshall, Morgantown, Preston, University, Wheeling Park

Region 2 Hampshire, Hedgesville, Jefferson, Martinsburg, Musselman, Spring Mills, Washington

Region 3 Capital, GW, Greenbrier East, Princeton, RIPLEY, Riverside, South Charleston, Woodrow Wilson

Region 4 Cabell Midland, Huntington, Hurricane, PHS, South, Spring Valley, St Albans

2. The most current top ten rankings for Weight Class 126:

1. Jackson Henson, University
2. Austin Spears, Parkersburg High
3. Logan Adkins, Cabell Midland
4. Caleb Creamer, Spring Valley
5. Taylor Hutchinson, Huntington
6. Jeremy Bailey, St Albans
7. Hunter Mitchell, Lewis County
8. Jacob Roberts, Parkersburg South
9. Andrejs Daniluks, Ripley
10. Austin Love, John Marshall

When I opened up the polls, 126 is what my eyes went to first. It was so crazy, I didn't look at the other weight classes.

If these current wrestlers had to compete in the new region structure, here is what you would get:

New Region 1 would have only 2 ranked wrestlers, thus 2 unranked wrestlers would qualify for the state tournament.

New Region 2 would have ZERO ranked wrestlers, thus 4 unranked wrestlers would qualify for the state tournament.

New Region 3 would have ONE ranked wrestler, thus 3 unranked wrestlers would qualify for the state tournament.

New Region 4 would have SIX ranked wrestlers, thus 4 RANKED wrestlers would qualify for the state tournament, and TWO ranked wrestlers would stay home.

The current Lewis County wrestler would be over in AA/A regions where it could be worse.

For what it is worth, all of the wrestlers above have a good shot to qualify this season. They are all spread out to where no region has more than four ranked wrestlers.

Using the above, anybody can see that the new regional and classification changes are going to create more top ten wrestlers staying home and more unranked wrestlers qualifying for the state tournament.

Unless there is change, our sport will continue to take a beating. We will still produce more nationally ranked wrestlers and we will have less and less wrestlers participating.

Can you see a freshman being ranked 5th. He fails to qualify because the top four in his region are also in the top 4 in the state. This freshman also has already beat all 12 qualifying wrestlers from the other three regions. Twelve beaten opponents go to the state tournament and this freshman stays home.

This might motivate him to quit the sport.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:22 pm

The new regions are obviously based on geography, thus they make sense. I read over in the middle school section that many eastern teams do not compete in the WSAZ due to travel restrictions.

Geographically, Independence would be in AAA's region 3. This tells me that the problem is not in the water in region 3's geographical area.

Also, East Fairmont, North Marion and Fairmont Senior are all former AAA Region 2 schools. There is nothing wrong with the Tudor's biscuits that region 2's geographical area is cooking.

New regions 1 and 4 will be up and stay up. Regions 2 and 3 will be up some and down a lot.

An additional route into the state tournament besides the regional qualifying process is needed.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:29 pm

Rankings don't mean anything. We already have teams not wrestling other teams. Just imagine all the ducking wrestlers that will go on. The regions could definitely be more fair. A/AA region one is way tougher than the others but so what. In closing, rankings are garbage and you will never make everyone happy.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:40 pm

From the Editor:

This document showed up in my email, with the filename Board-Approved-Alignments-2016-19. FYI.

newregions.pdf
(228.89 KiB) Downloaded 899 times
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:36 pm

Here is the answer for aaa. Run a 32 man bracket at the state tournament. That way you could take all 14 wrestlers on each team. The WVSSAC could still have their regions for seeding purposes ( or the money )

Wrestle_DaD

Postby Wrestle_DaD » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:39 pm

I know a lot a ppl don't agree. That being said. To eliminate who's the best and this kid should b going why not entertain the idea of a 1 class state tournament. Sectionals. Regionals. State. I for one would love to c this. Give us a true champion. Even out regional issues. I realize that Johnny for middle of nowhere wv will b handicapped. In the end though we never talk about him. We talk and argue who is number one. Again. This is just my opinion and idea

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:47 pm

One class take 32 to the state tournament and place 8.

HuntingtonFan

Postby HuntingtonFan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Fairly new to the sport as a parent, but even I can see the realignment of regions makes no sense! Some very good wrestlers might not even make it out of Region 4, while less talented wrestlers from other regions would slide right in. Makes no sense at all!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Rankings don't mean anything. We already have teams not wrestling other teams. Just imagine all the ducking wrestlers that will go on. The regions could definitely be more fair. A/AA region one is way tougher than the others but so what. In closing, rankings are garbage and you will never make everyone happy.

I am taking upon myself that the rankings are compiled early on based on last season's performance and current records. As the season goes on, we have more who beat who situations and common opponents. All of this is obviously used to form the rankings. This same information is used to seed wrestlers.

This information means something for seeding tournaments, thus it means something for rankings. All major sports have rankings.

wvgymrott

Postby wvgymrott » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:50 pm

Bearhugger wrote:The new regions are obviously based on geography, thus they make sense. I read over in the middle school section that many eastern teams do not compete in the WSAZ due to travel restrictions.

Geographically, Independence would be in AAA's region 3. This tells me that the problem is not in the water in region 3's geographical area.

Also, East Fairmont, North Marion and Fairmont Senior are all former AAA Region 2 schools. There is nothing wrong with the Tudor's biscuits that region 2's geographical area is cooking.

New regions 1 and 4 will be up and stay up. Regions 2 and 3 will be up some and down a lot.

An additional route into the state tournament besides the regional qualifying process is needed.

Not sure if I agree with your first sentence. How is South Charleston , GW ,and Capital more geographically aligned with region 3 than they are region 4. PHS and PSHS in 4 is just crazy wrong. I mean is Ripley not closer to region 4 then both of the Parkersburg schools. SMH

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:18 pm

wvgymrott wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:The new regions are obviously based on geography, thus they make sense. I read over in the middle school section that many eastern teams do not compete in the WSAZ due to travel restrictions.

Not sure if I agree with your first sentence. How is South Charleston , GW ,and Capital more geographically aligned with region 3 than they are region 4. PHS and PSHS in 4 is just crazy wrong. I mean is Ripley not closer to region 4 then both of the Parkersburg schools. SMH

You need to look at the total picture of what you have to work with based on geographical location of each school and how many AAA schools you have in total. Schools like Greenbrier East, Woodrow Wilson and Princeton have to be in a region. The Kanawha County Schools they are being grouped with are the closest schools on the map to them. Ripley, GW and Dupont (Now Riverside) were all in the same region back in the 80s, just like they have been for the past 5+ years. South Charleston and Capital have been with them for at least the past 5 years. Region 3 next year is the same as it has been for the past 5+ years, minus Oak Hill (going AA)

As for region 4, this region is losing Winfield, Logan, Lincoln County, Nitro, and Point Pleasant after this season due to reclassification. The wood county schools are the closest schools left over.

Ripley is located in an area where they could easily go to region 1, 3 or 4.

The masterminds behind the new regional alignment obviously looked at:

1. Number of schools with wrestling teams divided by 4 regions equals 7 (region 3 with 8)

2. Location of state border schools and worked their way inward to get 7 schools to match up with.

kerrya44

Postby kerrya44 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:28 pm

Region 4 has just became the Big 10 of college wrestling. Iron sharpens Iron! Wrestlers with losses in conferences and regionals will Tech Fall and Pin wrestlers with near to perfect records and regional titles.
Wow!!

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:50 pm

First of all, the WVSSAC is <snip>
But I see I few solutions..

1. A one-class state tourney....
A. Have districts/regionals/states. To ensure (more than likely) the top 16 make it to states and creates a sense of pride that "I made it to states"!
B. Have regionals, place 8, take 8, 32 man bracket at states.
C. Have regionals, place 8, take 6 (24 kids), then 8 wildcards and use a system like NCAA does to choose wildcards.
D. Have regionals, take 4 from each, still a state tourney with 16 kids.

2. Keep it the way it is and have coaches and/or ADs be a part of the region alignment so that there is more parity.

3. I like the pigtail idea, but have all 5th place wrestle the 4th place finishers.

Thoughts?

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:07 am

if you take the current rankins and take the the 8 teams out that are going to aa and then place all the top ten wrestlers in the projected regions you will find that r-1 and r-3 will have 31 each. r-2 has a grand total of 7 kids and r-4 has 56. now IF they place in the reginals where they are ranked all kids in r-1, r-2 and r-3 make it to the state. in r-4, 106-bowen-hunt-#10, 120-taylor-cm-#10, 126-bailey-sa-#6 and robert-ps-#8, 138-ketchum-sv-#8, 145-taylor-ps-#10, and 160-dunbar-ps-#9 DO NOT MAKE IT TO THE STATE ! there will be lots of kids with losing records going to the state. there will be great kids from r-4 staying home. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ABOUT THIS. <snip>

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:33 am

Would this regional work out any better when looking at the rankings?

Region 1
Brooke
Buckhannon-Upshur
John Marshall
Morgantown
Preston
University
Wheeling Park

Region 2
Hampshire
Hedgesville
Jefferson
Martinsburg
Musselman
Spring Mills
Washington

Region 3
Capital
George Washington
Ripley
Riverside
South Charleston
Parkersburg High
Parkersburg South

Region 4
Cabell Midland
Huntington High
Hurricane
Spring Valley
St Albans
Woodrow Wilson
Greenbrier East
Princeton

7 schools in each region except for 8 in region 4

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:35 am

From the Editor:

Well, there is a lot is disagreement with the WVSSAC, the WVDOE, and other "powers that be." Venomous comments directed to those folks is not likely to benefit, and can conceivably make my life more difficult. I don't want to risk getting at odds with these fine folks. So, I have snipped a few things.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:47 am

Doc, you got it! I apologize!

Didn't mean to cause any problems for ya!

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:50 am

Region 4 will have 5 of the current top 6 teams in the state in it. Crazy.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:50 am

Did Gator just "snip" himself????

NOTE: Nope! I guess you can't speak about "The powers that be!" No head bangin'! :roll:

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:07 am

masonbailey wrote:First of all, the WVSSAC is <snip>
But I see I few solutions..

1. A one-class state tourney....
A. Have districts/regionals/states. To ensure (more than likely) the top 16 make it to states and creates a sense of pride that "I made it to states"!
B. Have regionals, place 8, take 8, 32 man bracket at states.
C. Have regionals, place 8, take 6 (24 kids), then 8 wildcards and use a system like NCAA does to choose wildcards.
D. Have regionals, take 4 from each, still a state tourney with 16 kids.

2. Keep it the way it is and have coaches and/or ADs be a part of the region alignment so that there is more parity.

3. I like the pigtail idea, but have all 5th place wrestle the 4th place finishers.

Thoughts?

The pigtail idea of 5th wrestling 4th would make regionals a little more competitive in the 5th place matches. These matches could be held Thursday afternoon and would be fun to watch. This could be a quick and doable change.

Dockers

Postby Dockers » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:27 am

Depending on what the AA/A regions look like I heard a AA/A has contemplated wrestling up into AAA. Now that would be interesting!!!

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:00 am

hedge and hamp do a great job posting results, but for some reason wash, muss, s mills, mart and jeff don't post most of their results. all i have to go on is what's posted. so here is what could happen if the new regions were in place this year in region 2.106-1-curry-hamp 22-10, 2-hylton-hed 19-9, 3-marrone-wash 4-8, creager-mart 0-5 113-1-wilson-wash #4, 2-arbogast-hamp 5-0, 3-whaler-hed 17-10, 4-rymer-mart 0-3 120-1-powell-hamp 21-11, 2-price-hed 15-12, 3-rawlings-muss 6-5, 4-shiffauer-wash 2-3 126-1-corbin-hamp 15-1, 2-smith-hed 22-5, 3-leapardi-muss 8-4, 4-dryer-wash 2-3 132-1-milleer-hed #9, 2-deadwyler-muss #10, 3-corbin-hamp 19-5, 4-reach-mart 2-4 138-1-odom-hamp 23-3, 2-beach-jeff 4-3, 3-formier-wash 5-7, 4-church-hed 7-17 145-1-pine-wash #2, 2-derito-muss #5, 3-eads-hed 9-4 4-greene-jeff 3-6 152-1-doyle-muss 4-2, 2-stickles-hed 6-2, 3-straughen-hamp 20-12, 4-kerr-wash 0-6 160-1-swisher-hamp #4, 2-barnhart-hed 10-4, 3-ardnt-muss 8-3, 4-cale-sm 4-4 170-1-wright-hamp 21-9, 2-tenney-sm 2-2, 3-parrish-hed 13-14, 4-sine-muss 4-8 182-1-staley-hamp 15-0, 2-sims-mart 3-2, 3-sanon-hed 13-11, 4catlett-sm 4-6 195-1-biller-jeff 4-0, 2-hose-hed 8-2, 3-moreland-hamp 17-12, 4-feastel-sm 1-3 220-1-bowlin-wash #3, 2-estep-muss 11-1, 3-wright-hamp 22-8, 4-sherod-hed 19-14 285-1-lear-hamp 28-4, 2-moran-mart 4-1, 3-smith-hed 6-6, 4-hill-wash 5-5. this would be the chance of a lifetime for some of these guys to make it to the state but it would'nt be fair for alot of kids in r-4

Return to “High School Wrestling”