Getting 100 Wins

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
coach_williams

Getting 100 Wins

Postby coach_williams » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:51 am

There are a lot of "Congrats" posts for wrestlers reaching 100 wins, which brought this question to mind. How does everyone calculate 100 wins? I assume that everyone just uses regular season wins for their school team. Am I wrong? Do open tournament wins factor in? Does everyone do it the same?

JennyHannan

Re: Getting 100 Wins

Postby JennyHannan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:27 pm

I worked as statistician for the same school under three different head coaches, and they all shared the same philosophy. Basically, if a wrestler was wrestling in a varsity-level event (even if he was wrestling as a member of our JV team) and he had his hand raised, it counted as a win - even if it was a forfeit. If he was wrestling an exhibition match, wrestling in a JV match prior to a dual, tri, or quad, or wrestling in a JV tournament, the match (win or loss) did not go toward his permanent record.

So for instance, we took wrestlers from both our varsity and junior varsity teams to the Holiday Hammer Classic and the WSAZ Invitational last year. The JV wrestlers who won matches at those tournaments had the matches go toward their permanent records. Some of those wrestlers wrestled in the Morgantown JV Classic later in the year, but wins there did not count toward their permanent record.

In our program book on the 100-win club, we put an asterisk beside any wrestler who reached 100 wins if any of those wins came while he was wrestling with the JV team. That allows the fans to see which wrestlers wrestled solely with the varsity team throughout their high school career.

Return to “High School Wrestling”