Simpkins vs Taylor @ 145

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Theaveragefan

Simpkins vs Taylor @ 145

Postby Theaveragefan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:45 am

Am I seeing the score right 2-1 Simpkins over Taylor or is this a typo, 12-1 or something of that sort?

guard0544

Re: Simpkins vs Taylor @ 145

Postby guard0544 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:01 pm

Taylor is a good wrestler. And Simpkins bumped up a weight to wrestle him. I would assume the 2-1 score is accurate. Sure, I also would have expected a bigger margin. But you never know how a match is going to go.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:15 pm

It was a great match between the two and 2-1 is correct. Simpkins was awarded a very subjective stalling point late in the match when it was 1-1. Ryan wrestled a very good match against against a very good wrestler. Very exciting dual!
Moderator WV Mat

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:24 pm

I am always baffled when a ref calls stalling on a wrestler who is not winning. The concept of stalling implies that there is something to gain (as in being in the lead and stalling until the clock expires).

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:34 pm

I agree Coach Williams. I officiate Football and baseball so I know officials are human and make mistakes but I am also baffled by that such as 2 years ago in the state semi final match I watched a ref call a double stalling call with 4 seconds left in the third period both wrestlers were neutral score 2-1 wrestler who had 2 they hit with stalling with 18 seconds in the 3rd and then 4 seconds in the third. goes to overtime kid gets a takedown to win it but never should have got there. I think the officials do an outstanding job but the rule for stalling needs to be clarified a little bit so it makes it easier to understand on kids, coaches, and officials. Keep up the good work officials you honestly do a remarkable job and have the toughest job!

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:14 pm

If someone is stalling it should be called. It doesnt matter if they are winning, losing, tied, or how much time is on the clock. If the action, or lack there of, warrants a stalling call...call it. This is especially true in a dual setting where there are additional team points on the line for a major dec, t-fall, fall etc.

Wrestling-fanatic19

Postby Wrestling-fanatic19 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:19 pm

Wrestlers are taught to score points. In order to score points, both wrestlers have to be engaged in the match. Whether someone is winning or losing, stalling should be called. It keeps matches exciting and worth watching.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 pm

Veering off topic a little, but the stalling situation I have a real problem with is how officials are applying it to mat returns of a standing wrestler. I believe officials are trying to be consistent by calling the offensive wrestler too quickly. To explain further, I think this is a situation when the official is supposed to use his judgement rather than a certain number of seconds counted in his head. I have said for a long time that I don't think they're applying the rule. As I said, probably trying to be consistent. Is the offensive wrestler making legitimate attempts to return his opponent to the mat? Lifting, tripping, etc. I don't think the rules say he has to be immediately successful at it. This is where the judgement comes in. In this situation, I agree that the losing wrestler, when making honest attempts, has no motivation to stall. I just do not like the fact that a standing wrestler must be returned within a couple seconds or else you get called for stalling. It's a two-way street. I see a standing wrestler many times just brace himself and hold onto hands, waiting to benefit from the stall call before clearing himself for his escape. This is a by-product of that quick stall call that shouldn't happen. Very similar to dropping to one knee to draw a locked hand violation. Just some of my thoughts .I would be interested to hear some officials' perspective on this, because I know a few out there that make this particular stall call especially fast..

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:06 am

Stalling is like snowflakes, no two officials are every going to call it the same. :D The KEY is staying consistent in calling it, then you know how to wrestle, coach etc based on official on mat. I can remember 30 years ago you knew official A you could get away it, and official B don't blink. But they were always consistent. There is nothing worse then two QUALITY kids wrestling not to lose, instead of just wrestling. Someone is going to lose/win. That is why the simpkins/allen match was so much fun to watch last year. Just my two cents worth.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:41 am

I thought Taylor surprised people with how well he wrestled. I know he surprised me. Having said that, Simpkins has fantastic mat awareness and skill. If the match had been wrestled less defensively would Simpkins have won by a greater margin.. Yes in my opinion.
Great match by two physical kids. Hats off to Simpkins for moving up. As a South fan, please tell me there are no more Simpkins boys coming up.. :D

lovesthesport

Postby lovesthesport » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:52 am

In regards to stalling, (just because it was brought up on this thread, nothing to do with this match, as I did not see it) one of my biggest peeves when it comes to stalling is the fact that an official will allow a wrestler to stall for a ridiculous amount of time, and then make the stall call with 10 seconds left in the match. The official should 1) either not call it because he has allowed it for so long, or 2) be embarrassed that he allowed it to go on for so long and then called it. If a wrestler should lose a match because of stalling, it wouldn't be the fault of the official. Also, if you warn someone for stalling, then verbally warn him again, you are essentially giving him a second warning and a point should be awarded. If you verbally warn him again that you are going to call him for stalling, now you have given him another warning without awarding any points. I watched this particular scenario happen. Those 2 points would have changed the match, as one wrestler was wrestling his butt off and the other got the lead and coasted. Don't think that this is because our team lost this particular match, because maybe we didn't and maybe this would have made the wrestler realize that he needs to wrestle from whistle to whistle. However, maybe our wrestler did lose the match, now in his mind he thinks what else can I do if my opponent is given essentially 3 calls without a point awarded, because his opponent was "supposed" to win. Just some thoughts.
Nicki Michael

Return to “High School Wrestling”