State Tournament Officials

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach28

State Tournament Officials

Postby aaacoach28 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:42 am

Its time for the State Tournament to get officials from other states. Each year a different state would be selected because not knowing any of the wrestlers,not leaning in favor of certain schools, would be a great thing. While there are a few very good officials there are others that need alot of work before they should ever be hired to do the State tournament. This would be a good direction to go for our State Tournament!!

guard0544

Re: State Tournament Officials

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:13 pm

Overall WV officials are rather good. There will always be some who are below par. But typically those do not officiate the state tournament.

I think you are overestimating the quality of officials in other states. Go watch the Kentucky State Wrestling Tournament sometime and then come tell us what you think of the officiating there.

Of course WV officials should be officiating the WV State Tournament.

KSRef

Postby KSRef » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Will they come call your regular season matches and regionals as well?

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:48 pm

aaacoach28 wrote:Its time for the State Tournament to get officials from other states. Each year a different state would be selected because not knowing any of the wrestlers,not leaning in favor of certain schools, would be a great thing. While there are a few very good officials there are others that need alot of work before they should ever be hired to do the State tournament. This would be a good direction to go for our State Tournament!!

And I thought I said some stupid things.

Sally

Postby Sally » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Frank wrote:
aaacoach28 wrote:Its time for the State Tournament to get officials from other states. Each year a different state would be selected because not knowing any of the wrestlers,not leaning in favor of certain schools, would be a great thing. While there are a few very good officials there are others that need alot of work before they should ever be hired to do the State tournament. This would be a good direction to go for our State Tournament!!

And I thought I said some stupid things.

:D

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:04 pm

How are the State Tournament officials picked now?

KSRef

Postby KSRef » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:11 pm

Officials apply online with the WVSSAC. There are a list of requirements that must be met in order for an official to be selected.

Some choose to apply. Some do not.

12 are selected from those that apply.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:33 pm

No ratings from coaches and other officials? Who decides when the applications are in?

KSRef

Postby KSRef » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Classifications, test scores, and I'm sure the coaches rating factors in the decision making.

There is a deadline that we must submit the online form to be considered. I assume Bill Welker and the WVSSAC sit down and make the decision.

What they base their own opinions on, I do not know.

Note....some of the guys calling are already from out of state. Border states have guys who are registered in both states. Just as WV guys are registered in various border states.

WVSSAC registered officials have done Kentucky states and Ohio states. I'm not certain about Maryland or Pennsylvania.

Some have even been named Official of the Year in those states and reside in WV.

Our guys do a good job.

FYI....I am one who opts not to apply for a variety of reasons...be it work, prescheduled family functions, etc.

Simplehalf

Postby Simplehalf » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:44 am

I know from last year a takedown on the edge was not called and the wrestler was not awarded 2. This wrestler lost by one point and most likely would have been the State Champion if awarded the takedown. This was in the semi's. The coaches tried to speak to the official but he would not listen and continued with the match. Well its the officials interpretation, I understand. But after the match I found out that the official was from the same county and had wrestled for that team. Glad to have two officials on the mat this year.

Simplehalf

Postby Simplehalf » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:51 am

FYI, do your homework on the official's. Where they are from, etc.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:46 am

I don't think many people understand how they plan to use the two officials. They will not call the match jointly, making calls equally, etc. The second official will be of no significant importance, in my opinion, except in a case where the lead official would ask for his opinion. If it's like it was before, when two officials were used, the second official is understandably very reluctant to interfere or over-rule any calls. That second official tries to move around to provide a different perspective, but he mostly tries to stay out of the way. He might verbally communicate with the lead official or give subtle signals to the lead official during the bout, but I do not think we should expect to see the second official making any calls or signaling anything to the scorers table. That's my understanding of it. I could be wrong. Maybe an official can clarify exactly what that second official will do. Maybe the officials have an agreed-upon procedure/protocol. If it hasn't been addressed, I can see that the use of the second official might cause more harm than good.

Simplehalf

Postby Simplehalf » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:14 am

I agree. Like I tell the Wrestlers, "Don't let it be up to the official's"

RU4REAL

Postby RU4REAL » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:01 pm

The agreed upon protocol is listed directly in the NFHS rulebook on how it should be....but it is not in the picture section so not sure if they will figure it out or not!

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Why don't we have a lottery system based on ticket sold. Pick 12 people out of the stands and let them call the tournament. After all most people on this thread think they can do a better job! :lol: Just saying! If this state had as many registered officials as bleachers officials the very harsh reality in a few years of NO officials would never come into play.

Hope the 12 that get chosen, CALL THE FALL, CALL THE STALL, CALLS IT ALL.

KSRef

Postby KSRef » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:57 pm

forthekids wrote:Hope the 12 that get chosen, CALL THE FALL, CALL THE STALL, CALLS IT ALL.

;)

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:08 pm

Most of the officials do a great job, even if they blow a call once in a while(none of us are perfect). I do think if you are from the same county as a kid in the semis or finals, that official should at least offer to the other coach to recuse himself from the match. The opposing coach may know the official well and trust him anyway. Anyway, I think the offer should be made.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:00 pm

I think a pill system is needed to select the officials.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:00 pm

well spoken "For the Kids" Call the Stall Call the Fall Call it all GK As far as selecting the officials , perhaps if a few of the folks critical of the officials would get on the mat and try it they would understand the referee's point of view!!! I have been all over the eastern USA and the officials in WV are as good as any I have ever officiated with!!!!!! Consistency is the key, along with position, position, position!!!!! :

Slideby

Postby Slideby » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:12 am

I have said for years this is the biggest injustice our wrestlers face for years .i know it's human to make mistakes but let's not kid ourselves it is ridiculous what happens at the state tournaments year after year . Video tape doesn't lye year after yr it will be posted but then taken right down. The refs need to be held accountable when they blatantly make wrong calls . Some calls are just bad judgement that's acceptable but when ref is in position and dilebratley makes wrong call they should be called out

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:09 am

Yes! Use the pill system!!! Yet another great use for the "Pill"!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”