REGION PROBLEM SOLVED

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
TrueSouthFanInPburg

REGION PROBLEM SOLVED

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:44 am

Solving the region should of been simple. All that had to be done was take Preston out of R-1 and put them back in R-3 where they used to be. R-2 worked out fine with 3 teams leaving the seven remaining did'nt change. Now that R-3 got Preston simply put Capitol and South Charleston back in R-4 where they used to be. Then R-1, R-3 and R-4 would all have three rated teams. If anyone at the WVSSAC sees this please take this into consideration. If the new regions stay the same there's going to be a bunch of rated kids and great wrestlers that don't make it to the state. :(

Truesouthfaninhunt

Re: REGION PROBLEM SOLVED

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:00 am

I tend to agree ...

aaacoach82

Postby aaacoach82 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:48 am

Agreed!!!

PV704

Postby PV704 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Here is what I would like to see our State Tournament look like is a 32 man bracket and a one class champion. We could have 8 regions broke up into 10-13 team regions and still be able to do either an 8 man bracket or a 16 man bracket and send out the top 4 from each weight class from those regions. I would also like to see a State dual tournament as well, and you could always crown the best tournament team in all three classes. There have been some really good tournament teams in the past that haven't been the best dual team. We could still have a 3 day tournament and we could cap Saturday off with a good dual tournament, or if that is to much in one weekend have our state tournament one weekend and then the following weekend have the state dual tournament that weekend.

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:28 pm

Since 1976,1,984 wrestlers have gone to the state tournament. In those 40 years, 833 of the top 4 place winners came from region #1. That represents 42% of all top 4 wrestlers in the tournament. the other 3 regions averaged about 19% each with these place winners. Of the team champions in the state, 37 came from region #1. The biggest reason for this was because of South(18) Parkersburg (10 ) Wheeling Park (6) and Brooke , John Marshall and Weirton with 1 each.
During those 40 years, many very good wrestlers did not get to go to the states because they were in region #1. Now with the scheduled change in the regions, I don't feel that this will affect South or PHS at all. They will qualify no matter what region they are in. Two or three of the existing teams in region #4 will have to scramble to qualify wrestlers. Perhaps some of the lesser teams annually from region #1 may now qualify all of their wrestlers, thus placing higher in the team standings because of numbers. Region #4 will no longer have that luxury!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:49 pm

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:Solving the region should of been simple. All that had to be done was take Preston out of R-1 and put them back in R-3 where they used to be. R-2 worked out fine with 3 teams leaving the seven remaining did'nt change. Now that R-3 got Preston simply put Capitol and South Charleston back in R-4 where they used to be. Then R-1, R-3 and R-4 would all have three rated teams. If anyone at the WVSSAC sees this please take this into consideration. If the new regions stay the same there's going to be a bunch of rated kids and great wrestlers that don't make it to the state. :(

When was Preston in Region 3? They are closer to region 2.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:32 am

here we go again. you'd think someone with over 1000 posts would know how to find this kind of imformation out. Simply go to results and look at region results from five years ago and you can figure this out on your own. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:37 am

I stand corrected. I double checked the region results from 5 years ago and you are right for the first time. Preston was in R-2. But seriously you need to start doing a little research on your own to figure things out , it's really not that hard. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Gutorone

Postby Gutorone » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:33 am

It's called a rhetorical question ! Appears he is doing fact checking enough for both of you. And it appears it is hard enough , that you were not able to do it

mscoach81

Postby mscoach81 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:28 am

The appeal needs to be implemented immediately following this years state tourney. It needs to be a United effort and realigned in a fair manor that will allow competition to be at a max during our 3 day state tournament event.
AAA region 4 as suggested would represent approximately 50% of champs, finalists, and place finishers. While the other 3 regions would make up the rest 50%.
Even beyond that understanding is the argument that on several occasions Region 4 could produce the top 5 or even top 6 ranked kids in state and only 4 would get to compete and advance, when we still place through top 6 for state placement.
That's probably the strongest argument against stacking one Region with historically strong programs together.
I know smart minds will always prevail and this issue will be addressed and resolved but I think we need to take whatever action needed following the conclusion of this year's event and more than just forum talk decide what needs done. Rather than postponing it too late into next year.
By no means am I discounting certain programs, but facts and statistics are just that and lets get this right and send our top 16 wrestlers representing our state to the event.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:40 am

"I don't feel that this will affect South or PHS at all. They will qualify no matter what region they are in."

Some of their wrestlers likely will not qualify, who otherwise would have.

mscoach81

Postby mscoach81 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Yeah, I'm probably a little more in favor of speaking on behalf of the masses and not just those in Wood County, but your point is noted.
You're not exactly right, each year some Red and Blue singlet kids would be 5/6 at regionals and not advance that would in current alignment and any other Regional class.
Statistically those wood county kids would not be as likely as others, but it would occur and given the superiority you guys claim to have, most likely when it did occur, your kid would be the 5/6 placer in the state that didn't get to compete.
You should be more for the arguement than against it.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:55 pm

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:I stand corrected. I double checked the region results from 5 years ago and you are right for the first time. Preston was in R-2. But seriously you need to start doing a little research on your own to figure things out , it's really not that hard. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You will be better suited in aligning with me as opposed to constantly challenging me. I never claimed to know everything. I make posts, I welcome intelligent feedback and it doesn't hurt for everybody to be thinking.

I am for the WV wrestler (individual). Not some Alma Mater.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:58 pm

guard0544 wrote:"I don't feel that this will affect South or PHS at all. They will qualify no matter what region they are in."

Some of their wrestlers likely will not qualify, who otherwise would have.

The big problem South is going to have next year is more talent than spots on the varsity. This year's starters could be on the bench next season.

Then you have schools like Capital and South Charleston with 2 to 3 wrestlers. It is time to let the JV enter the regions and wrestle their way into the state tournament.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:02 pm

mscoach81 wrote:The appeal needs to be implemented immediately following this years state tourney. It needs to be a United effort and realigned in a fair manor that will allow competition to be at a max during our 3 day state tournament event.
AAA region 4 as suggested would represent approximately 50% of champs, finalists, and place finishers. While the other 3 regions would make up the rest 50%.
Even beyond that understanding is the argument that on several occasions Region 4 could produce the top 5 or even top 6 ranked kids in state and only 4 would get to compete and advance, when we still place through top 6 for state placement.
That's probably the strongest argument against stacking one Region with historically strong programs together.
I know smart minds will always prevail and this issue will be addressed and resolved but I think we need to take whatever action needed following the conclusion of this year's event and more than just forum talk decide what needs done. Rather than postponing it too late into next year.
By no means am I discounting certain programs, but facts and statistics are just that and lets get this right and send our top 16 wrestlers representing our state to the event.

You are spot on. The new regions and having only 29 AAA schools and the rest of the state in AA/A is going to hurt the sport, not help it. Next year, AAA region 2 and 3 will have kids almost guaranteed a trip to the states before the season begins.

Return to “High School Wrestling”