Ousted at Regionals

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mscoach64

Ousted at Regionals

Postby mscoach64 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:57 am

who were some of the top guys from AAA and AA/A that were ousted from regionals?

Gator

Re: Ousted at Regionals

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:18 pm

There were a couple in region 1 AAA, but one I will mention is Wheeling Park's John Nash. John came down with Mono just before the regional and had to miss the tournament. I sat across from him in the bleachers and wanted to approach him and express my sadness for him, but I'm sure that there was nothing I could say that would make him feel any better. He was very impressive in winning the OVAC title at 152 and it is a shame he won't get to compete in Huntington this week. Take care young man and God speed in your healing process. You have two more years to achieve your goals.
Moderator WV Mat

Armyman

Postby Armyman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:26 pm

Also the 113lber from John Marshall didn't wrestle. Not sure why but he was ranked number 2 in the state.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:28 pm

That was the other one that I mentioned. I know why but the forum is no place to discuss it. I feel bad for that young man too.
Moderator WV Mat

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Gator, thank you for the kind words about John Nash. He is a very humble kid with a great attitude. As you said, he will still have 2 more years to compete for the State Championship. Good luck to all wrestlers this weekend and may you all avoid injuries.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:40 pm

Soupbone, I really do feel for the young man. I looked for you at the OVACS on Saturday. I came down to the main table and talked to Smitty. He said you were there Friday but hadn't seen you that day. Hope to see you in Huntington my friend!
Moderator WV Mat

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Gator, I too would like to express my sadness for John Nash and his disappointment after working so hard for likely an entire year leading up to this moment. There are obviously worse tragedies that could have resulted in this, but that doesn't make it any less painful. Living in Wheeling I have had the opportunity to watch John wrestle through the years leading up to his high school career. He has always seemed like a good kid and I'm sure he'll be at or near the top during his final two years of high school. Lesson learned-- John, don't be kissing girls during wrestling season ;) . Looking forward to watching you compete next year! Three OVAC titles would be nice.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:48 pm

I just saw that former South wrestler (Freshman year) Chip Sturek won the Virginia 5A state championship at 170, pinning his way through the District, Regional and State tournaments! I mention this because Chip was ranked #1 at 170 his Junior season and came down with Mono just before the District tournament began. Maybe some encouragement to John that this is a minor setback and better things are ahead. Wishing him the very best and prayers for a quick recovery!
Moderator WV Mat

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:12 pm

John Marshall's Bertrand did not make wait at regionals. I was looking forward to him matching up with Martin as they missed each other at OVAC and I hated to see that he was overweight. Martin and Bertrand would have been a good matchup to watch. - Brent

Armyman

Postby Armyman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Thanks Brent. If that's the case, he was a senior, should've bumped up a weight class. That's a shame.

Return to “High School Wrestling”