New before state rankings are bogus

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
wrestlingfan23202

New before state rankings are bogus

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:07 am

I know these rankings mean nothing because this weekend we are going to see who the top dogs in the state are. But for AA/A these rankings are insane especially the heavier weights. 220 Logan lake is ranked 4th Kolten Jones dominated him and pinned him at regionals. Heavyweight Markley the defending champ is 10th. Looking back at the results. He has beat 7 of the kids this year in that class I just don't see how he is number 10 unless I'm missing something. But I don't want to take credit away from the coaches and doc who put this together you guys do an excellent job I just must be missing something on why some of these rankings are bad. But like I said we will find out who is the best in each weight class Saturday night! Good luck to all!

Bearhug

Re: New before state rankings are bogus

Postby Bearhug » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:24 am

I thought they were rather on point myself.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:45 am

@wrestlingfan23202 I agree. Earlier in the year I questioned the 220 rankings and some people got their panties twisted up over it. I won't mention that wrestlers name or rank again, but how a wrestler can remain in the top 5 on the coaches poll all season while getting pinned by unranked wrestlers, getting pinned by higher ranked AA/A wrestlers in the first period, and going 1-2 at OVACS baffles me. I attribute it to the coach's poll being mostly biased opinion and not on actual knowledge of the wrestler's season.

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:51 am

wrestlingfan23202 wrote:I know these rankings mean nothing because this weekend we are going to see who the top dogs in the state are. But for AA/A these rankings are insane especially the heavier weights. 220 Logan lake is ranked 4th Kolten Jones dominated him and pinned him at regionals. Heavyweight Markley the defending champ is 10th. Looking back at the results. He has beat 7 of the kids this year in that class I just don't see how he is number 10 unless I'm missing something. But I don't want to take credit away from the coaches and doc who put this together you guys do an excellent job I just must be missing something on why some of these rankings are bad. But like I said we will find out who is the best in each weight class Saturday night! Good luck to all!

I don't know how much it played into the rankings because I don't vote, but Markley did finished 3rd in the region. He got beat by the Grafton kid in the semi's. The Grafton kid also went on to win the Regional beating Keyser. I don't know how Markley has done against the Keyser kid or any other wrestler who won their regional. But when a kid finishes 3rd in their region, it hard to put them above some kids that many have won or finished runner-up in their region. Just my guess.

potomac highlander

Postby potomac highlander » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:07 am

I agree with bearhug that they are generally very good

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:20 am

It doesn't matter what someone did last year. The rankings are based on what's happened the last few weeks.

Gutorone

Postby Gutorone » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:24 am

" Thats not how this works, its now how any of it works "

Team polls : Doc recommends the team rankings (after a lot of research) and then coaches Agree or give their opinions
Individual polls : Doc ranks the wrestlers based on research (past results, head to head, common opponents etc.) Coaches do not vote , they just add info/arguments as to why a wrestler should move up in rank. Doc may agree or not and adjust accordingly. So, if a coach does not lobby for his guy, his guy may not move up. And since, usually, only 12 coaches or less ever vote for team polls, chances are they do not comment on how their kid is ranked. Hope this helped

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:27 am

For anything I am doing, I use the February 18th rankings (aka the last rankings before regions) as my gauge. The ranking before the states are always heavily influenced by who placed where in the region.

Which, might be the correct way to do things at this point of the season.

In a few days, 16 men will enter a weight class.......1 champ will walk out.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Sally

Postby Sally » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:46 am

Tell the kids who are ranked that the rankings are bogus.

Doc can't change rankings if coaches do not enter scores. Point the finger at the programs who do not post results on wvmat. In the case of some kids being ranked higher than a kid who beat them earlier in the season- it's quite possible the kid had a quality win over a higher ranked kid in the class. In several weight classes the 4-7 ranked wrestlers have all beaten each other or have wins over common opponents.

If we don't have these rankings what would we talk about besides the pill and seeding the state tournament? :)

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:48 am

I agree that last year doesn't matter. But Markley beat Grafton earlier in the year after looking at results from big 10. From my calculations markley has beat every kid in the weight class except he hasn't wrestled independence or keyser yet. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like. But like I said no hard feelings because I know they do a good job doing polls I was just a bit curious of why he was at 10 but once again we will see the top dogs in the state here in a few days! Good luck to all of the wrestlers!!!!

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:54 am

Look at the results from last weekend's regional. Markley got beat by the Grafton kid in the semi's. I would say most recent head to head is more relevant.

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:57 am

I agree with that.

oldgold72

Postby oldgold72 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:13 pm

Check A/AA region 1,,, 138# and then explain the ten rankings, LOL. I like it though,,, it was a nice motivator to a certain individual this morning.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:29 pm

I agree that AA/A 285 is a head scratcher. Markley is a defending state champ and a fine wrestler.

However, he was defeated by Ware of Grafton in R2. Considering the latest head-to-head, it would seem that Ware should be ranked above Markley.

However, Ware has been pinned by Cummings, Heath and Carey.

Cummings was defeated by Six of CB at region I. Considering the latest head-to-head, it would seem that Six should be ranked ahead of Cummings.

So, we have Six - Cummings - Ware - Markley, to fit in with Carey, Heath, Cales, Stutler, and Dawson. Cales has defeated Dawson, Stutler has p Dawson, and Dawson has d Heath. Carey has defeated Cummings, Ware, and Stutler. Heath has d Dawson and Cales.

I agree it looks odd, but there you have it. I find that 285 is difficult to figure out at times.

Good thing they will all have a chance to settle it this week. Thanks for the feedback. <smile>
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Thanks Doc!!!! I understand why now. You do a great job. Thank You!

Repoman1304

Postby Repoman1304 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:07 pm

I THINK THESE RANKINGS ARE FUN AND I LIKE THEM HOWEVER I WAS A LITTLE STUMPED AT 145 WHO IS HARVEY FROM INDY AND HOW DID HE GET SO HIGH IN THE RANKINGS OTHER THAN THAT I THINK 285 IS A BRAIN TEASER ANY OF THOSE BOYS COULD WIN IT. GOOD JOB WV MAT I APPRECIATE THIS WEB SITE. I HAVE LEARNED MORE ABOUT WRESTLING ON HERE THAN ANY WHERE ELSE.

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Harvey from Independence is Haegan Harvey who has wrestled at 126 most of the year. He moved to 145 when Will Cox moved to 152. Taylor is now at 126.

Repoman1304

Postby Repoman1304 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks aaacoach I looked back and seen where he was 126 he must be pretty good to jump into top ten that fast I'll be watching for him in Huntington. Looks like the pill put him to the test out of the gate. Should be fun to watch.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:41 pm

My only issue is that they don't reflect the pairings. For example Laya and Lusher are 1 and 2 yet they are projected to meet in the semis.

Return to “High School Wrestling”