AA/A 126

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach11

AA/A 126

Postby aaacoach11 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:04 pm

Watched the entire match and I believe the correct call was made. However I would like clarification as to why the asst referee was allowed to persuade the head official into changing his call? I was under the impression the asst referee was only there for clock or potentially dangerous purposes. From my vantage point it looked as if the asst official approached the head official and told him to change the call. It did not look like the head official asked the asst official for his opinion.

wv16refgk

Re: AA/A 126

Postby wv16refgk » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:39 pm

The main objective in ANY match is to get the call right!!! The change was accomplished by both officials talking about the situation and making the right call. I have been a big advocate of assistants for years and if you check through out the world of wrestling we are (as far I have found out) the only state in the union to not use assistant referees as it is intended in the rule book!I officiated when we truly had assistants and when we were on an island and I truly believe that with proper communication and the use of real ASSISTANTS IS FAR SUPERIOR TO NOT HAVING ANY!!! In instances of locked hands away form the head official, grasping of clothing on the opposite side, and poor position by the head official (it just happens sometimes) where something is observed by the assistant can be corrected and should be with the proper line of communication. Stalling is subjective as is control in time ending situations but two sets of eyes on the call is the best solution to get the call right!!!!! In all cases the head official makes the calls and when he questions himself about a tough call the assistant can help, have no comment, or give support on the call made with a simple nod!!! In any case two are better than one to make sure the right call was made!!!!! GK

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:29 pm

In the 152lbs AA final, there was a point awarded for an illegal hold. The amount of time from when the hold was applied to when the action was stopped was too long. A point was awarded but the time was not restored. Whereas I was watching the wrestlers through binoculars, I didn't see the ref's position.

Again as i posted elsewhere. The refs could improve on their positioning and hustle up a little more.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

DWM

Postby DWM » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Bearhugger wrote:In the 152lbs AA final, there was a point awarded for an illegal hold. The amount of time from when the hold was applied to when the action was stopped was too long. A point was awarded but the time was not restored. Whereas I was watching the wrestlers through binoculars, I didn't see the ref's position.

Again as i posted elsewhere. The refs could improve on their positioning and hustle up a little more.

They missed a take down in the 152lbs also.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:06 pm

There were 2 matches in AAA consolation rounds on Saturday morning that involved the official being in poor position and missing pin calls. Just my opinion that once you get to the semi final rounds and the Saturday placement rounds that there should be 2 officials. The officials do the best they can, but when the matches mean that much, it should be a focal point to give them all the help they can get. The wrestlers work that hard to get there, seeing the outcome or call be affected by something that can be changed with simply adding another official, it's something that needs to change.

Indypats

Postby Indypats » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:24 pm

A lot of talk about 152 being tuffest class. I think 126 AA/A was just as difficult. A very good match by 2 great wrestlers.

potomac highlander

Postby potomac highlander » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:27 pm

After watching the video on the Secrist/Robertson 126 final,after the lights went out and the match was restarted Robertson jumped the whistle allowing him to catch Coreys leg while Secrist was waiting for the ref to stop the match. that didnt happen and those 18 seconds expired scoreless and the post at the beginning of the topic tells the other interesting details. The man of the hour was Corey Secrist. He accepted the decision,shook hands and walked off the mat with honor and later walked up on the podium with a bracket that was handed him to hold up for photos with his score listed as 0 adding insult to injury without saying a word or dishonoring his sport.refs decisions are final?

wkimble1

Postby wkimble1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Hey Potomac Highlander, where can I find the video? Thanks.

potomac highlander

Postby potomac highlander » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:27 pm

Its not posted anywhere that I know of. I watched a private copy that is you-tube quality. I will let it be known if it is available publicly.

Return to “High School Wrestling”