AA/A vs AAA Parity

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach11

AA/A vs AAA Parity

Postby aaacoach11 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:19 pm

Does AA/A have more parity than AAA? Seems like AAA has more mismatches and quick pin falls making it less exciting, especially in the first 2 sessions. With the addition of Point, Winfield, Lewis County, Oak Hill, Elkins, Shady Spring, Nitro, and Lincoln County AA/A will provide a much more exiting 16 man bracket for the next 4 years.

Bearhugger

Re: AA/A vs AAA Parity

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:26 pm

There are 9-10 schools dropping down to AA/A.

AAA wrestling will be a mess next season.

If team points records are broken in AAA, we must remember that the playing field has shrunk.

If team point records become harder to beat in AA/A, we must remember that the playing field has increased.

Next season is going to be interesting.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:42 pm

There are eight returning state champs on the AA/A side and eight returning champs on the AAA side. Two of the eight returning AAA champs will compete in the AA/A tournament next season.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:05 pm

I disliked it when we lost the 3 Marion County teams and a few others to AA/A a few years ago and I will dislike losing Point and the others to AA/A next season. Something has to give on realignment. I'd like to see them keep the 2 divisions at the state tournament and make a 4A/3A division and a 2A/1A division. Perhaps the upper classes could start at a 700 student enrollment, which should bring several teams up. Either that or go to a one class state tournament and award AAAA, AAA,AA and A team titles much like the OVAC.

I know we've hashed and re-hashed this scenario on here ad nauseum, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:46 pm

Gator wrote:I disliked it when we lost the 3 Marion County teams and a few others to AA/A a few years ago and I will dislike losing Point and the others to AA/A next season. Something has to give on realignment. I'd like to see them keep the 2 divisions at the state tournament and make a 4A/3A division and a 2A/1A division. Perhaps the upper classes could start at a 700 student enrollment, which should bring several teams up. Either that or go to a one class state tournament and award AAAA, AAA,AA and A team titles much like the OVAC.

I know we've hashed and re-hashed this scenario on here ad nauseum, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

My perspective is that football and basketball are driving the train for all sports. I understand the logic. However, when you get into the nitty gritty of wrestling as a sport and where it stands in WV, I do not see anything to make a team be on either side of the AAA and AA fence.

The schools with the largest populations are not necessarily fielding the best teams. Heck, some of these 1,000 plus schools barely have a team.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:55 pm

i wish they would do classifications per sport. the high school I've been at in florida competes in 4a out of 8a in most of the sports everyone has and competes in 2a out of 3 for wrestling. wv should classify 1a and 2a and split it almost right down the middle or do what gator said 1 class but give a,aa,aaa team awards.

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:25 am

Agreed with csmith...only 3A in wrestling in FL, but goes to 8A in football and other sports. It's seems sport specific.

Would definitely be in favor! It will definite bring some parity and better competition at states!

Return to “High School Wrestling”