Dutton award 2016

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Refuse-to-lose

Dutton award 2016

Postby Refuse-to-lose » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:36 pm

Coaches, Parents, Admin, fans etc.

Now that the state tournament is complete.....Who are the Dutton award candidates post state tournament ?

Here are my top seven picks. Not necessarily in order.....But, close !! Would love to hear others opinions/selections.

1. Cam Moore/ Roane
( 3 time state champion )

2. Lucas Simpkins/ Ripley
( 4 time finalist - 2 time state champion )

3. Dalton Michael/ East Fairmont
( 3 time finalist - 2 time state champion - 203 career wins )

4. Cole Ritchie/ Calhoun
( 2 time state champion - all time wins leader at Calhoun )

5. Brandon Tenney/ Buchannon
( 2 time state champion - 8 th at the Beast )

6. Adam Whitmore/ Cabel Midland
( 2 time state champion )

7. Hunter Jones/ George Washington
( 2 time finalist - 46-0 state champion )

Best of luck to this entire senior class and any other wrestler worthy of being considered for this award.
Very impressive resumes....... ;)

Indypats

Re: Dutton award 2016

Postby Indypats » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:21 pm

I like cam a lot but he lost to an in state kid in the same weight class and didn't avenge the loss so that makes it difficult to say he is the best wrestler in the state. I think u gotta go with Simpkins. I believe his two runnerup finishes were at the hands of the same person Bryce humphries who ended up being a 3 timer.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Indypats, I'm glad you like Cam, but you obviously think some unavenged in-state losses are okay and others aren't. Simpkins is an excellent choice, by the way. We know the award is presented annually, BUT if sportswriters take in the careers of senior candidates and not just their senior season alone, it's hard to say which way they will decide.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:45 pm

You need to remember that it doesn't have to go to a Senior. An underclassman could also be chosen, although none have been in the past.
Moderator WV Mat

gnat

Postby gnat » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Why is this award up to the sportswriters anyway? Maybe back in the day they had access to results the rest of us didn't but that is no longer the case. When is the last time you saw a sportswriter at a wrestling event when they weren't working and we're only there because they like the sport. I would guess most of them wouldn't cover wrestling if they weren't forced to.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:39 pm

In the past in Parkersburg, Dave Poe, Sports Editor for the News & Sentinel, covered the sport well. Jay Bennett now covers it in Parkersburg and does a good job, although I'm certain he is getting paid to do so. I have always felt that wrestling never got the press it deserved however. If someone paid me, I'd cover it too! ;)

Any other town have good coverage of wrestling?
Moderator WV Mat

mattman

Postby mattman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Well if the sports writers are reading this they should know that Noah Adams is the best lb for lb wrestler in the state.

aacoach45

Postby aacoach45 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:06 pm

Not for sure, but I think Ritchie has only two losses the past 2 years and they came from out of state. Coach Stump would know and who the losses where from. That's pretty impressive.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:39 pm

We throw the term lb for lb around often, probably incorrectly. To have that distinction, Noah would have to be as good as wrestlers weighing 500 lbs. Lol. He very well could be the best wrestler in the state and could get it. I don't know who is on the selection committee or why it has always gone to a senior, but I could only guess. If, for example, a sophomore were selected, wouldn't he be the favorite for the next two years? Or, if he didn't do anything remarkable in his next two years and someone else were picked, what did he do to lose his position? What if a freshman were picked? It would be difficult to imagine anyone in his grade or higher being picked other than him for the next three years, unless it's the guy that beats him. I don't know their reasoning, only guessing. I know the all-state committee for football is made up of media outlets/sportswriters also, and we don't always agree with that outcome either.

mattman

Postby mattman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:53 pm

Lb for lb means the wrestler at 120 lbs could beat a wrestler at 220 if they were the same weight. Naturally the best 120 couldn't beat a below average 220 so that's why the term lb for lb is used. That's why we have weight classes. Just to clarify the lb for lb meaning. Would be a thousand different opinions on who is the best wrestler. When I say Noah is the best lb for lb wrestler in the state that is my opinion but based upon the results and his success as well as work ethic,I feel I'm right in saying that over and over.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:12 am

No need to explain the concept. I know what it means. I was just making light of the situation because Noah is so dang skilled.

mooreboysdad

Postby mooreboysdad » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:20 am

Indypats, the loss was 1-0, and the opportunity to avenge loss probably would have come at WSAZ but as you know it was cancelled. Cam wanted a rematch but it wasn't in the cards. Several quality choices. Hard one to pick.

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:21 am

In response to your post aacoach 45, Cole's one loss his junior season was to a wrestler from Louisville St. Xavier Ky and his lone loss this year was to a wrestler from River Bend Va.

aaacoach36

Postby aaacoach36 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:47 am

Please not that Adam Whitmore was also a Powerade All American
Thx

aaacoach82

Postby aaacoach82 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:12 am

What about Humprey's from St Albans two time state champion he was the one who beat Moore from Roane and he won the Power Aid Tournament. If a under classman would be concidered he would be one to pick along with Adams of Independance. Just saying. Senior wise Jones from GW unbeaten this year as well as Simpkins from Ripley both canidates are good picks.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:57 am

What about 3 time state champions, Jacob Hart and Justin Allman? If my math is correct, Cam Moore, Justin Allman and Jacob Hart are the only 3 time champions this year.
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:19 pm

I feel that the award "pickers" will stick with a senior. It makes their job easier and keeps it easier for the following years to come.

With that being said, there are many top seniors.

However, two have out accomplished the rest. Lucas Simpkins and Cam Moore.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:34 pm

Bearhugger wrote:I feel that the award "pickers" will stick with a senior. It makes their job easier and keeps it easier for the following years to come.

With that being said, there are many top seniors.

However, two have out accomplished the rest. Lucas Simpkins and Cam Moore.

I agree with a lot of your posts because you keep it real. I'd say if it's based upon a senior only criteria Moore would have to be eliminated simply because of the fact he lost to Humphreys. Humphreys is a 10th grader who is tough as nails but if you lose to an in state wrestler and do not avenge the loss, how can you be the states best wrestler. If it's a senior only award? Gotta go with simpkins or Jones from GW..

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:50 pm

I seriously doubt a 1-0 loss to a Powerade Champ and kid who may win a Dutton himself would exclude anybody. Furthermore, if they stick with a senior, they might look at their whole body of work. If that were to happen, it might not really make a difference what year the senior had a loss that wasn't "avenged". Can't you prop up your favorite without trying to come up with reasons to exclude others? I appreciate differing opinions, but I'd rather see comments about what makes your favorite a good choice, rather than putting on a negative spin.

gnat

Postby gnat » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:03 pm

Can someone post the criteria that is used. I still don't understand why it is left up to sportswriters who only cover local events and have no clue what the rest of the state is doing. Sure they can research results but as we all know that doesnt always tell the entire story about the competition level. There needs to be a knowledgeable committee put together to make the selection for this award. Maybe an award for each class year would solve the problem of an underclassmen not getting the award when they deserve it.

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:32 pm

aacoach70 wrote:I seriously doubt a 1-0 loss to a Powerade Champ and kid who may win a Dutton himself would exclude anybody. Furthermore, if they stick with a senior, they might look at their whole body of work. If that were to happen, it might not really make a difference what year the senior had a loss that wasn't "avenged". Can't you prop up your favorite without trying to come up with reasons to exclude others? I appreciate differing opinions, but I'd rather see comments about what makes your favorite a good choice, rather than putting on a negative spin.

Noah Adams is the best wrestler in the state hands down. Getting recruited by some of the top division 1 schools in the country. If the "committee" would choose other than a senior, and they should, Noah is your Dutton winner. Noah is my pick. Moore is a great wrestler but a loss to a 10th grader who imo is very possibly a future Dutton winner eliminates his chances of winning the award. If the man who beat him doesn't win the award how can he?

coach999

Postby coach999 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:17 pm

My opinion is similar to most. Very hard choice because Ritchie and Moore are records and performance are outstanding, but if I had to vote for a senior, then it would have to be Simpkins. I think he is the best Senior Wrestler in the State.

Underclassman considerations are Allman and Hart. Being three time State Champs going for a 4th is an elite category and they would have to be in the mix. Along with Henson & Humphries, maybe the 2nd and 3rd lb for lb best wrestlers in the state.

Lastly, and I'm not taking anything away from all of the other great candidates, but If an Underclassman can receive the award and the award went to the Best wrestler in the state, I think Adams is In a class by himself. If it wasn't for an unfortunate disqualification, he would be another one going on 4 championships. Very few anywhere can say they have beaten two and three time Champs like Allman and Martin. OW's like Frazier. State Champs from other states. Along with having a National Championship trophy. Etc. The pick should be Adams if given to an Underclassman.

snapshot

Postby snapshot » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:53 am

If the Dutton is based on a senior's career then these are the best two choices. Hunter Jones from GW with an undefeated senior season and a state title. He was a finalist the two years prior and is a high school All-American. Jones defeated the wrestler that Ritchie lost to at Winner's Choice. Lucas Simpkins is my other pick for this award with two state titles and being a finalist his 9th and 10th grade year losing to Humphreys twice who was a 3X champ. Not sure what he has done outside of WV though. Cam Moore has had an outstanding career as well, but the loss to J. Humphreys and the unfortunate absence of a rematch at Z's may lesson his chances for this award.

Gutorone

Postby Gutorone » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:46 am

How can you loose to a in state kid , same age and grade as you , and be brought up by people for the award ??!!! Allman is NOT a contender , this year nor next after Adams beats him again ! The only reason Adams is not a 3 x champ is a slam call .

FBISURVALINCEVAN1

Postby FBISURVALINCEVAN1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:58 am

Allman is a great wrestler that DESERVES to be a contender. Now don't get me wrong Adams is a great wrestler an right now probably the best p4p in the state but come on, last years slam was a heartbreaker yes but his freshman year,If Stewart didn't have to inj dft midway through the finals match,he would of beaten Adams like he did earlier in that season an this would OF BEEN HIS first tittle.

GsUpChooseDown

Postby GsUpChooseDown » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:41 am

I don't know how Allman could "loose" to an in state kid either....lose maybe but not loose! lol I'm not sure if you watched that match but the wild scramble that resulted in 3 back points could have went either way for both wrestlers. Both kids are much deserving of this award and I look forward to them battling again next year at some point.

mooreboysdad

Postby mooreboysdad » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:46 am

You know what would really be nice? Point out each "candidate's" accomplishments and let the sports writers do their thing.

grampsjerry

Postby grampsjerry » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:49 am

Is any of the above Dutton award candidates nationally ranked ??? Should that be considered?

Wrestlingfan2016

Postby Wrestlingfan2016 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:44 pm

I know several high schools that attend out of state tournaments. I'm not sure about Roane Co. and Calhoun Co. Some of the wrestlers mentioned may have a tougher schedule.

Tatum

Postby Tatum » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:55 pm

Interesting discussion. Saw a lot of wrestling this year - both in and out of state. Lucas Simpkins is the best wrestler in the state, and has had the best career. Even his wrestling at the state tourney showed the maturity and wisdom of a senior state champ - get to the finals by beating an opponent who wrestled 1 and 2 classes heavier during the year, and then dominate your opponent in the finals. As I heard one opposing coach say during the year, "That Simpkins kid is a monster..."

Return to “High School Wrestling”