Defunct Programs and New Programs

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach11

Defunct Programs and New Programs

Postby aaacoach11 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:06 pm

Anyone know why Wheeling Central, Bishop Donahue, Parkersburg Catholic and Meadow Bridge haven't fielded teams in several years? Seems like at least a few guys at their school may be interested. Also, do any schools plan to add wrestling for the 2016-2017 school year?

aacoach35

Re: Defunct Programs and New Programs

Postby aacoach35 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:32 pm

Tulsa High School Is Adding A Team

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:50 pm

I can't speak for Wheeling Central, Bishop Donahue or Parkersburg Catholic, but I believe Meadow Bridge had issues with a lack of interested coaches and a dwindling team size.

aaacoach11

Postby aaacoach11 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:55 pm

When do Oak Hill, Fayetteville, Midland Trail, and Meadow Bridge Consolidate? Looks like AA/A will lose a few teams when they do and AAA will add one.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:52 pm

aaacoach11 wrote:When do Oak Hill, Fayetteville, Midland Trail, and Meadow Bridge Consolidate? Looks like AA/A will lose a few teams when they do and AAA will add one.

You may see Oak Hill, Fayetteville and Midland Trail consolidate eventually, but I don't see Meadow Bridge being in that consolidation. The first 3 schools are a 10-15 minute drive apart. Meadow Bridge is an hour away from the other three and back in the boondocks. The only way you get MB in on that is if they build a school midway like in Piney View or Prince and the folks from the other three schools are going to be pretty unhappy that their kids go from traveling 10 or 15 minutes to school to traveling nearly 40 minutes to accommodate MB.

I know they are in different counties so it would never happen, but MB needs to consolidate with Greenbrier West. They are only 20 minutes apart and most of the kids already know each other.

jscallen

Postby jscallen » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:27 pm

Why could the kids from Meadow abridge not attend Greenbrier West? Chapmanville Regional High School has its name because the students that live in Harts (Lincoln Co) attend Chapmanville Regional because it is too far for those students to attend Lincoln Co High School. So why could the students at Meadow Bridge not attend Greenbrier West?

mgr1980

Postby mgr1980 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:30 am

Parkersburg Catholic had 3 wrestlers around 2011, 2013. One qualified for state as a Freshman or Sophomore.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:38 pm

jscallen wrote:Why could the kids from Meadow abridge not attend Greenbrier West? Chapmanville Regional High School has its name because the students that live in Harts (Lincoln Co) attend Chapmanville Regional because it is too far for those students to attend Lincoln Co High School. So why could the students at Meadow Bridge not attend Greenbrier West?

Perhaps they could. I assumed they could not because they were in different counties. I know that when I worked there we had a few students that did inter-county transfers to attend West, so there is at least some interest in the idea.

aacoach35

Postby aacoach35 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:25 am

I just seen that Meadow Bridge {Single A} will be at the 2nd Annual Raider Rumble on Dec 5th

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:02 am

These tiny little schools need to be consolidated somehow, some way. I recall meeting kids from Hamlin when I went to college. They told me about how in football practice, they could only run plays on one side of the field at a time.

They didn't have enough kids on the team to line up the varsity and practice against the B team. There was no B team.

As for wrestling, I figure you could dig up a team if the three schools listed above were combined.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:01 pm

Meadow Bridge will also be at the BNI at Shady Spring on 1/28/17. Their coach tells me he should have around 10 wrestlers this season.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:07 pm

I am happy to see MB will field a team this year. I used to be friends with one of their volunteer coaches 7 or 8 years ago and was sad to see them lose their team. Wrestling teaches kids so much about self-reliance, working for what you want and character. I hate to see schools lose their program for that reason if not for any other.

Return to “High School Wrestling”