Head Gear

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Jbee

Head Gear

Postby Jbee » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:17 pm

I must be old, Since when has it been ok to wrestle without a Head Gear. I have seen a number of pics with kids not wearing one. Is it not mandatory anymore? Is there some new safety data stating it is not necassary? wondering
Lifes tough....Wear a Helmet!

Matofficial

Re: Head Gear

Postby Matofficial » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Headgear is mandatory in all sanctioned events. Peewee teams are not required to because there is no sanctioning body.

Jbee

Postby Jbee » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:28 pm

Thanks for the answer. Did not realize youth wrestling had no sanctioning body.....bad and bad!
Lifes tough....Wear a Helmet!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:49 am

The WVYWA is working to become the recognized sanctioning body for youth wrestling right now. However, I just looked through the rules and see no mention of requiring headgear/earguards, unless I overlooked it. It is something to bring up to them.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:45 am

Why in the world would we not want our youth wearing protect head gear. The have to wear them in middle and high school, WHY would we not want to? Then when they get to high school they won't take them off and throw them. (hence 1 team point)

Tippe

Postby Tippe » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:45 pm

forthekids wrote:Why in the world would we not want our youth wearing protect head gear. The have to wear them in middle and high school, WHY would we not want to? Then when they get to high school they won't take them off and throw them. (hence 1 team point)

70 pound eight year old wrestlers don't bang heads like boys do after puberty. You have the choice to either have your wrestler wear them or not. No one is saying that your wrestler can't wear them. We do have headgear we keep in the wrestling bag for events that make you wear them, but do not wear them unless they are required. Cauliflower ear is very uncommon in youth wrestling.

Taking headgear off and throwing them has a much stronger correlation with sportsmanship than it does with comfort or being "used to them." If a wrestler in high school uses the excuse of "not being used to headgear" to throw headgear, because he only had three years of middle school to prepare himself, not three years of middle school plus five years of little league, that is pathetic, and totally illogical.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:47 pm

?
Last edited by mscoach57 on Mon May 16, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:06 pm

Sorry, in my book, safety comes first. A well fitted ear guard was required in pee wee if I had anything to do with it. Good fundamentals should be learned early. I coached some junior high also and at practice I was in charge of, ear guards were required.

Return to “High School Wrestling”