WVU signee

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Gutorone

WVU signee

Postby Gutorone » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:30 am

Not a single kid from WV !! Looks like the same thing previous coach did . Where is the outrage for the "bull" ? Unless your telling me that not a single kid from WV is good enough to wrestle for WVU ? In fact , I dont think he recruited a single WV kid to his program since he has been there.

coach_williams

Re: WVU signee

Postby coach_williams » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:17 am

I understand where you are coming from and agree that it makes no sense that WVU didn't recruit a single WV wrestler. By the same measure, did any high school coaches make a call and promote their wrestler to him? A HC calling and saying "You gotta check out this kid on my team!" and sending a highlight DVD can go far for a young wrestler getting interest from a team.

There is also the question of how many wrestlers from our state were interested in wrestling for WVU. If the top 8-10 seniors from WV all committed to somewhere else then I don't blame him for bringing in other talent rather than taking the "left overs" from here. WV isn't exactly a top wrestling state. You take the top 10 or 15 seniors out of the equation and the talent level drops off quite a bit after that.

Academics also plays a factor. A kid may be a stud wrestler in high school, but barely managing a 2.0 GPA so that he can wrestle. What are the odds that he will go to WVU and maintain a 2.0 if it was everything he could do to get that 2.0 in high school? I don't blame a coach for not wasting a scholarship on a wrestler who may flunk out after his first semester anyway. I constantly tell my son that academics is just as important as wrestling success if he wants to wrestle in college. A college will not consider a great wrestler with mediocre grades nearly as quickly as they will a great wrestler with stellar grades. A couple of state championships with a 3.8 GPA gets you into college a lot quicker than 4 state championships with a 2.2 GPA will.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:52 am

How did Dylan and Jake get there? From my understanding he has a verbal from the kid from Indy already? Just out of curiosity who did you see this year that could wrestle at the D1 level and in the Big12. WV is coming on strong but to have a candidate that wants to be crazy enough to wrestle at the level every year is a stretch. Just my humble opinion, he has two more to make them his kids then we can talk on what he is doing.

Gutorone

Postby Gutorone » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:11 pm

Dylan and Jake were on their way back on their own, from what I understand. I looked at the state champ seniors this year, and would say most could wrestle D1 level , may not go to NCAA but neither did most of WVU team. As far as the grades, cmon man !! Would think "the bull" might of gone to a few WV matches this year, since his son wrestles in the state. Unless he didnt go Winnners Choice, regions, States ? Send a scout .

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:39 pm

Didnt Ryan Lopez go to wvu last year.

Gutorone

Postby Gutorone » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:48 pm

6 on last year roster. But being on roster and being a signed recruit are 2 diff things.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Gutorone wrote:Dylan and Jake were on their way back on their own, from what I understand. I looked at the state champ seniors this year, and would say most could wrestle D1 level , may not go to NCAA but neither did most of WVU team. As far as the grades, cmon man !! Would think "the bull" might of gone to a few WV matches this year, since his son wrestles in the state. Unless he didnt go Winnners Choice, regions, States ? Send a scout .

I can assure you that grades are a factor. I won't name names, but I know of a solid young wrestler that had so-so grades in high school and went to a D3 college to wrestle and flunked out his first year and was back home the next year. It IS a relevant factor. Coaches are limited by the NCAA as to how many sports scholarships they can give. No coach is going to give a scholarship to a kid who may not even make it to his sophomore year.

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Adams is already committed. Gutorone, stop trying to start something that isn't there. Henson and the staff gets around the state more than Turnbull. Can't judge him for one recruiting class.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Folks, I can tell you the program is improving. If Henson thinks a WV kid will help him, he'll go after him. On another note does a popular Coach Huggins get very many WV D1 basketball recruits here? No he does not. Will Henson miss one sometime? Sure he will. Deal with it, you don't get to hire and fire him.....At this point I have total confidence in Coach Henson.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Out of the last 4 seasons football has signed 4 on an 85 scholarship team.
Basketball has signed 3 to scholarships during the last 4 seasons but Knapper is going to a prep school so I'm not sure he counts yet.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Please refresh my memory for I do not follow recruiting that much. How many and who from WV has signed D1 or any division?

Gutorone

Postby Gutorone » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:32 am

Mason, you of all people SHOULD know what the NCAA rules are, he has not been offered a thing to go to WVU. So stop acting as if he was signed or even recruited at this point. And I guess the rest of you are saying the athletes in the state are not smart or good enough to go to WVU. I disagree. RUDY , RUDY , RUDY !

aacoach62

Postby aacoach62 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:53 am

If West Virginia wrestlers have a desire to be recruited they need to go to national tournaments (Super 32, Flo, NHSCA, Fargo etc) and do well. Winning only against West Virginia competition is probably not going to get you a D1 scholarship. Grades in high school and ACT/SAT scores are definitely considered, tests need to be taken early. College coaches need to know if you qualify to receive scholarship money under NCAA guidelines.
Last edited by aacoach62 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:46 pm

Gutorone,

No need to talk down to me.

I do know the NCAA pretty well and how the recruiting process works. I was not recruited by WVU either (from the previous Coach). Quite frankly, if kids can qualify academically (which I am sure he does/will), WVU does not need to offer that much in $$ to get in state kids to sign or even commit. And for the record, you don't have to be offered anything to commit.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:18 pm

How many from this year's senior class are going to wrestle somewhere in college? I don't follow it that closely. Who many D1 signees?

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:48 pm

What about Hunter Jones? I'd figure a college coach would grab him up quick.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:11 am

Mason,
You have forgot more about wrestling then most people will ever know. You choose to use wrestling to take you on a path to serve our country. For that you are a GREAT AMERICAN. What ever happen to if you didn't get a offer you walked on and proved yourself. OR maybe is it like it when I tried to wrestle in college you look and the mirror and realize there are SO many more kids better then me. Do I really want to go to practice everyday to become a tommy no throw partner. I realized this is a entirely different level and move on with my life. In my 31 years I have seen so many quality wrestlers not wrestle after high school and that is alright. They went on to be fine Americans that used wrestling to get them ready for life. That is truly what this sport is about. SO maybe if the, whiners, complainers and wanna be's would quit trying to nick pick and truly have something good to say the sport will continue to move in right direction in state. I just want to say it was my privilege watching you grow up and wrestle, and turn in a outstanding young man from an wonderful family. You will always be an ambassador to the sport and have earned that right.

Chris Diserio
CW0441

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun May 01, 2016 11:18 pm

aacoach62 wrote:If West Virginia wrestlers have a desire to be recruited they need to go to national tournaments (Super 32, Flo, NHSCA, Fargo etc) and do well. Winning only against West Virginia competition is probably not going to get you a D1 scholarship. Grades in high school and ACT/SAT scores are definitely considered, tests need to be taken early. College coaches need to know if you qualify to receive scholarship money under NCAA guidelines.

I went to the NHSCA for the first time this year. There was a common theme throughout the building. The masses were in shape (weight training), fast(weight training again), tough with the basics(singles, doubles, stand up and arm bars) and fought until the final second (probably wrestle tough schedules during the season). I figure if kids want to wrestle after high school, they should be doing some of this.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Marion Co. Fan

Postby Marion Co. Fan » Thu May 05, 2016 6:39 pm

2016 Recruiting Class Rankings:
WVU NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!!!

mattman

Postby mattman » Thu May 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Zero all Americans from a big 12 school doesn't add up to me. Henson has to get some guys on the podium or the good guys aren't coming. 3-4 AA's this year is minimum. Interested to see how the next couple season shake up.

KendallCrossface

Postby KendallCrossface » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Nick Johnson from Parkersburg is wrestling at VMI next year along with former south wrestler Chip Sturek.

Return to “High School Wrestling”