Indy vs South

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Gator

Indy vs South

Postby Gator » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:32 pm

Are we going to see these two teams wrestle against each other this year? It needs to happen, it is great for West Virginia wrestling.
Moderator WV Mat

Truesouthfaninhunt

Re: Indy vs South

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:29 pm

I hope so as well.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:23 pm

Aren't they both going to the Powerade this coming season?

On the other hand, isn't the OVAC on the same weekend as the WSAZ?

Somebody confirm what they can for us.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:06 pm

Not certain of South's schedule yet and the OVAC and WSAZ tourneys are the same weekend.
Moderator WV Mat

aaacoach33

Postby aaacoach33 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:17 pm

I thought I heard they are both competing in the Ironman Tournament, but I'm not sure how many head-to-head matches we will see.
In the end we win

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:53 am

South should go the the WSAZ and send their B team to the OVAC.

Better yet, South should send both their Varsity and B team to the WSAZ. Send the C team to the OVAC.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:34 pm

I want to bring this up again. From all indications, South is going to the Powerade tournament, but I'm talking about another dual. It caused a lot of excitement last year and was fun to watch. Both teams should be good again this year and the competition fierce! Coach Warden and Coach Smith(or coach Jeffrey) should be able to find a date a venue to make it happen. I don't know who is in the WV Duals this year, but that would be a good place to start.
Moderator WV Mat

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:43 am

We've still got room on the schedule for it. In terms of our schedule, it would make the most sense around January 4 through 6. We have a pretty long break between PowerAde and Virginia Duals the weekend of January 14. If those dates don't work, we are going to Williamstown for the Bob Zide on January 28 so we could always come up and wrestle the Friday night before that tournament. That would have us coming to Parkersburg two years in a row, but we already have home duals this year with Point and Huntington so having the South dual at home next year would probably make more sense for us anyway. I know there was some talk about trying to get another good team or two when we wrestled, but, with 11 or 12 pretty competitive matches, an Indy-South dual would take about two hours. Tough to do more than that in an evening without getting kids hurt, especially on a one-hour weigh in.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Indyhart: The WV Duals are set for the 6th and 7th of January. That should work out well for you. Hopefully Dave Jeffrey will see this and contact you.

Would be great seeing you guys here again and I'll make the trek to Coal City if it takes place there.
Moderator WV Mat

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:28 pm

Gator, we have room for a dual. I don't think we have room on the schedule for another tournament though.

russling

Postby russling » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:56 pm

Bearhugger wrote:South should go the the WSAZ and send their B team to the OVAC.

Better yet, South should send both their Varsity and B team to the WSAZ. Send the C team to the OVAC.

The OVAC used to be a better tournament than WV states but it seems to have weakened over years. How many PS champs at OVAC compared to PS champs in WV in 2016?

Jbee

Postby Jbee » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:08 pm

2 and 2, I think.
Lifes tough....Wear a Helmet!

aaacoach33

Postby aaacoach33 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:40 pm

russling wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:South should go the the WSAZ and send their B team to the OVAC.

The OVAC used to be a better tournament than WV states but it seems to have weakened over years. How many PS champs at OVAC compared to PS champs in WV in 2016?

Thought this was interesting so I looked into it using last year's results.

28 OVAC wrestlers placed at WV States (AAA & AA). 2 of those state placers finished exactly the same at the OVAC tournament. 15 placed better at states and 11 placed better at OVACs. There was a couple that were big differences but for the most part it wasn't much different. Maybe a place or two
In the end we win

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Having watched both tournaments, if you combined the champions from the WV AAA/AA/A and had wrestle offs (That would be just about as good as WV vs OVAC champions!), I think WV would defeat the OVAC champions from last year, but it would be a great dual! Luke Martin won both. WP's John Nash won the OVAC tourney and was ill for the WV states, but would have been a contender at 152 in Huntington.

There was one WV champ vs OVAC champion at the OVAC's, Tariq Wilson dec. Jackson Henson 18-10. Steubenville's 106 Tim Young, 132 Jashon Hubbard and 170 Shawn Livingston were all very tough wrestlers.

Interesting looking at some of the matchups though. Overall, I think that both have solid wrestlers and neither are weak.
Moderator WV Mat

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:33 pm

Indyhart:

Thank you coach for opening up the conversation of a possible Indy/South dual again. I hope that coach Jeffrey and yourself can work out arrangements to make it happen. WV deserves to witness it's two best teams meet and give old, die hard fans like myself and many others the opportunity to see this battle. I appreciate all your efforts!

Thanks again!

Gator
Moderator WV Mat

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:33 pm

Indy Hart are you all wrestling in South Carolina again this year?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:43 pm

Turn the Indy/Point/Hoover Tri into a quad(Invite South). Run two mats together.

Point has two returning state champs. They should find plenty of competition with South and Indy.

Hoover has a returning runner up at 285. South has a returning runner up at 285.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:59 pm

South will be heading to the Olantangy Liberty Invitational in Columbus for 2 days. (Dec 16 & 17)
Moderator WV Mat

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:05 am

Armyscot, we aren't headed back to South Carolina. We are going to PowerAde instead.

The tri with Point and Hoover is also going to have Point Middle and Indy Middle wrestling so that will occupy the second mat. I haven't got to see them yet, but I know Point has a bunch of really good kids at the middle school. Indy has a pretty good group of kids that just started the sixth grade so I think that could turn into a pretty good rivalry by about 2020.

I know there have been conversations about an Indy-South dual and both sides want to wrestle it so I feel pretty confident in saying it is going to happen at some point this season.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:28 pm

IndyHart wrote:Armyscot, we aren't headed back to South Carolina. We are going to PowerAde instead.

The tri with Point and Hoover is also going to have Point Middle and Indy Middle wrestling so that will occupy the second mat. I haven't got to see them yet, but I know Point has a bunch of really good kids at the middle school. Indy has a pretty good group of kids that just started the sixth grade so I think that could turn into a pretty good rivalry by about 2020.

I know there have been conversations about an Indy-South dual and both sides want to wrestle it so I feel pretty confident in saying it is going to happen at some point this season.

1. It sounds like Indy, Point and South need to go ahead and schedule a Tri now for 2020.

2. I might have to make a road trip for this 2016 Hoover, Point and Indy match up. We only live once.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:07 am

It looks like these two teams will become acquainted during December 29th and 30th at the Powerade and then once again on January 4th.

Just how much Gator can we take in a week?????

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:51 am

We'll take all we can get Bear! Win, win for us fans!
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”