Beat the Streets Charleston

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
BTSCharleston

Beat the Streets Charleston

Postby BTSCharleston » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:49 pm

Preview: BEAT THE STREETS CHARLESTON
The Mission of the Beat the Streets USA Wrestling Program is to expand Wrestling in America's Urban Centers helping at-risk kids through discipline, structure while developing wrestling from the youth through the Olympic level in these cities. The goal is to provide opportunities for boys and girls in the activity of wrestling, building lifelong skills.

This mission is a mission we are bringing to the community of Charleston, WV.

If you are not familiar with the Beat the Streets, it is a non profit organization that focuses on building our nations youth up through the great sport of wrestling.

There are currently more than 70 Beat the street programs located around cities across the country and have had a vital influence on the lives of thousands of kids around the US.

If you would like to be apart of this amazing opportunity to create the first Beat the Streets program in the State of West Virginia or learn more about the people behind this up and coming program feel free to contact me at BTScharlestonWV@gmail.com

Looking forward to the Feed back!

Frank

Re: Beat the Streets Charleston

Postby Frank » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:17 pm

I really like the BTS mission. I also would like to see an event take place in Charlestown like the one in New York. But I think we should add some WV flavor to the match ups. For example the whole state wants to see the Adams and Amos match. Almost as bad as they would like to see a Bearhugger and Gator match. I think this could be held outside on the capital lawn if done soon enough. And of course if the Wvssac would allow it.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:05 pm

If you want to use wrestling to help youths in Charleston, then help Stonewall Jackson Middle School with their coaching needs. I learned last season that SJ didn't have a team and I was shocked.

The next step would be to help Capital High school with getting more kids involved with the sport.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:07 pm

Frank wrote:I really like the BTS mission. I also would like to see an event take place in Charlestown like the one in New York. But I think we should add some WV flavor to the match ups. For example the whole state wants to see the Adams and Amos match. Almost as bad as they would like to see a Bearhugger and Gator match. I think this could be held outside on the capital lawn if done soon enough. And of course if the Wvssac would allow it.

Gator might show up wearing his Independence shirt and confuse all of us into submission.

BTSCharleston

Postby BTSCharleston » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:37 pm

You hit the nail right on the head. Before we can get our own facility, Stonewall Jackson Middle is where we'd like to hold our practices. Just have to get the 'OK' from the Board of Education.

Bearhugger wrote:If you want to use wrestling to help youths in Charleston, then help Stonewall Jackson Middle School with their coaching needs. I learned last season that SJ didn't have a team and I was shocked.

The next step would be to help Capital High school with getting more kids involved with the sport.

BTSCharleston

Postby BTSCharleston » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Right on Frank, we would love to make that happen! I'd also love to host a tournament at Laidly field.

Frank wrote:I really like the BTS mission. I also would like to see an event take place in Charlestown like the one in New York. But I think we should add some WV flavor to the match ups. For example the whole state wants to see the Adams and Amos match. Almost as bad as they would like to see a Bearhugger and Gator match. I think this could be held outside on the capital lawn if done soon enough. And of course if the Wvssac would allow it.

Frank

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:17 am

I think the person that could help you the most in moving any plans forward would be Sammy Henson. Most of us wrestling fan in the state would love to see this happen in any form.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:48 pm

BTSCharleston wrote:You hit the nail right on the head. Before we can get our own facility, Stonewall Jackson Middle is where we'd like to hold our practices. Just have to get the 'OK' from the Board of Education.

Bearhugger wrote:If you want to use wrestling to help youths in Charleston, then help Stonewall Jackson Middle School with their coaching needs. I learned last season that SJ didn't have a team and I was shocked.

When I swing my hammer, I try to hit the nail. Back in the day, Lincoln Junior High always had a strong turn out for wrestling.

They taught wrestling in gym class and we wrestled in gym class. The wrestling coach was always a teacher at the school.

Now, wrestling in Charleston is a joke unless you are up on the hill (GW's hood).

How can a state build the sport of wrestling when the capital city is a joke when it come to wrestling?

On September 8th, I attended a crime watch/neighborhood watch community meeting at Stonewall Middle School. Stonewall needs to get their head out of their singlet. Get the school involved. Get the BOE involved. Get the police involved. Use the MMA angle to get kids interested in wrestling. I know in Judo, they limit what techniques are used in youth competitions. As competitors hit older age groups, chokes and armbars are allowed.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:51 pm

BTSCharleston wrote:Right on Frank, we would love to make that happen! I'd also love to host a tournament at Laidly field.

The only way I am wrestling Gator at Laidley Field is if it is clearly stated in the rules that there is no jumping off of the top bleacher to deliver a cross face. Gator cheats. I want a special guest referee.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:14 pm

I'm not a cheater....I'm deplorable!
Moderator WV Mat

Sj154_69

Postby Sj154_69 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:57 am

Bearhugger is right it is a joke at Capital and SJ. Capital stopped wrestling in the early part of 2000 because the administration didn't want to bother with it. The only reason it got back was because they were force to when a parent and his lawyer told them his kid who was hearing impaired wanted to wrestle and by federal law they had to offer the sport. The comment was that they could have it but not one penny would be given to the program. True to their word not one penny was given, even though money was given out to swimming, softball, and other non revenue sports. Many programs in wrestling don't even know if they will have a place to practice. While at Capital you couldn't even schedule a home match to promote the sport because the basketball teams wouldn't give them gym time. I watched for two years as the upstairs gym at Capital was not being used and the wrestling team was told don't even ask you can't use it period. I guess the point I am trying to make without administration, parents and the BOE getting behind it then wrestling in those schools will continue to be in bad shape. I haven't even seen SJ post a coaching position for wrestling this year if that tells you anything.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:56 pm

Sj154_69 wrote:Bearhugger is right it is a joke at Capital and SJ. Capital stopped wrestling in the early part of 2000 because the administration didn't want to bother with it. The only reason it got back was because they were force to when a parent and his lawyer told them his kid who was hearing impaired wanted to wrestle and by federal law they had to offer the sport. The comment was that they could have it but not one penny would be given to the program. True to their word not one penny was given, even though money was given out to swimming, softball, and other non revenue sports. Many programs in wrestling don't even know if they will have a place to practice. While at Capital you couldn't even schedule a home match to promote the sport because the basketball teams wouldn't give them gym time. I watched for two years as the upstairs gym at Capital was not being used and the wrestling team was told don't even ask you can't use it period. I guess the point I am trying to make without administration, parents and the BOE getting behind it then wrestling in those schools will continue to be in bad shape. I haven't even seen SJ post a coaching position for wrestling this year if that tells you anything.

Capital has a new principal now. Not sure if they have been in place 2 or 3 years now. Maybe this principal will be better than the one they had?????

Of course Stonewall Jackson HS merged with Charleston HS to form Capital. SJ's last state champion was 1980. Not sure about Charleston HS but if they had a champion, it was a long time ago. Capital has had ONE state champion in the 1,000+ student school's history.

As for this BTS program, if we get 20 young kids on board, there needs to be teams in place at SJ middle and Capital for them to continue with.

It is almost as if in order for BTS to work in Charleston, SJ Middle and Capital need to get their acts together NOW too.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:17 pm

BTSCharleston wrote:You hit the nail right on the head. Before we can get our own facility, Stonewall Jackson Middle is where we'd like to hold our practices. Just have to get the 'OK' from the Board of Education.

What is the latest update on this project???

Return to “High School Wrestling”