Practice & Season

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Practice & Season

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:47 am

Practice begins in 14 days.

The season begins in 30 days.

We got rumors of seniors quitting the sport. They will regret this for the rest of their lives. Unfortunately, 17/18 year old kids know everything when really......they know nothing.

We got schools fielding new teams for the first time in years or in the school's history. Man, Tolsia, ???, ????.

We got 9 schools moving down to AA from AAA. This brought two state champions and a few place winners.

We got new regional alignments that are going to require some kids to actually have to wrestle "two state tournaments" in back to back weekends (AAA Region 4). On the other hand, it has given many kids a "vacation" before going to Huntington.

Could we see a record amount of regional champions lose in the opening round of the AAA state tournament? Region 4 fourth place winners taking out the champions????

We got two wrestlers going for their 4th state title.

We got a three man Dutton Award race.

We got three WV schools participating in the Powerade (Indy, South and University).

We got an unofficial Single A State Tournament.

We are separating out the top single A school in the state tournament.

We could have state championship rematches in both AAA and AA/A at 285. All four finalists are returning. Has that ever happened before? Two rematches at the same weight class? Hicks vs Haga & Cales vs Carey.

What kind of weight class shuffle will Independence surprise us with at the regions?

Will every weight class in every AAA region have at least four wrestlers???? Will we have byes occur in the AAA state tournament?

Will Hampshire County's female state tournament qualifier be back?

Due to the regional realignment, the four 285 pounders mentioned above will meet each other in their respective regions. South and Cabell Midland are in AAA region 4. Hoover has joined AA/A region 3. Thus, the pill should guarantee them being in different brackets in Huntington.

Hopefully Global warming will help us out and insure the WSAZ takes place on a clear, sunny, 50 degree day.

Hopefully more people will buy pumpkin rolls this season and Coal City can pay their electric bill. However, getting to watch two regional finals (Region3 AAA and AA/A) from the same seat last season was pretty cool.

Hopefully, I pray to God, the MSAC is ran like a traditional tournament this season instead of dedicating certain weight classes to certain mats. This was a spectator nightmare. An absolute cluster. It also appeared to have the coaches walking all over the place all day long too.

Despite all of the many things to look forward to, tragedy has already happened to put a dark cloud on the season. I, and I am sure all of us, wish Braxton Amos a speedy recovery. We were all looking forward to seeing this young man this season. However, he will be added to the 2017/2018 list similar to the one above.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Re: Practice & Season

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:52 am

WOW!!!!! Huntington will be at the Powerade too.

south 77

Postby south 77 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Nicely said Bearhugger

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:40 pm

St. Albans is on the Powerade List as well according to the tournament website.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:22 pm

aaacoach6 wrote:St. Albans is on the Powerade List as well according to the tournament website.

I hope they are! That Humphreys dude has put in some hard work in the office season. He looked real good at the Super 32. He was the only WV wrestler wrestling on Sunday.

Further follow up:

1. I saw both of Humphreys losses. I walked away feeling he could beat both kids. Maybe they will meet again.

2. Many WV wrestlers looked tough. Many WV wrestlers looked like they have been working hard in the off season. These National tournaments are brutal.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:24 pm

Yep, we got five WV schools going to the Powerade this season. My friend "TrueSouthFanInCanonsburgPA" just emailed me and confirmed. ROADTRIP!

DWM

Postby DWM » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:31 am

Three man Dutton Award race?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:53 am

DWM wrote:Three man Dutton Award race?

Is there a fourth????

DWM

Postby DWM » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:17 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
DWM wrote:Three man Dutton Award race?

Is there a fourth????

I can only think of one, Noah Adams.

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:49 pm

This years dutton will be a hard one ,I think. Remember I like all these kids and respect the work they have put in. So here goes.
Can nt pick Allmen because Adams beat him last year. U can't be the best wrestler in the state if your not the best wrestler in your weight class.
Can't pick Adams because he can only be a three timer and their are two wrestlers out there who could be four timers.
So u have to pick hart, but hart hasn't been as sucessful on the national seen as allmen or Adams..
Thank goodness we stil have this season to help us this decision

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Frank wrote:This years dutton will be a hard one ,I think. Remember I like all these kids and respect the work they have put in. So here goes.
Can nt pick Allmen because Adams beat him last year. U can't be the best wrestler in the state if your not the best wrestler in your weight class.
Can't pick Adams because he can only be a three timer and their are two wrestlers out there who could be four timers.
So u have to pick hart, but hart hasn't been as sucessful on the national seen as allmen or Adams..

Frank, I will have to disagree with you on your statement about Allman. If you used the loss to someone in your in your weight class theory, then you just eliminated most of the previous Dutton Award winners. I can go through that list of past winners and recall in my mind several of them who suffered big losses to someone in their weight class. That theory won't fly!
Moderator WV Mat

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:40 pm

I don't know,
I would assume their was other cercimstance in the past that helped decide the winners in the past

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:34 pm

As a wrestling fan, how could you say that the loser of a wrestling match is the better wrestler.
That's some Clinton logic

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Frank wrote:As a wrestling fan, how could you say that the loser of a wrestling match is the better wrestler.

I am sure that many wrestlers will "Make Wrestling Great Again" this season.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:05 pm

Gator wrote:
Frank wrote:This years dutton will be a hard one ,I think. Remember I like all these kids and respect the work they have put in. So here goes.

Frank, I will have to disagree with you on your statement about Allman. If you used the loss to someone in your in your weight class theory, then you just eliminated most of the previous Dutton Award winners. I can go through that list of past winners and recall in my mind several of them who suffered big losses to someone in their weight class. That theory won't fly!

Adams beats Allman in head to head competition last season. Adams pinned his way through the state tournament last season. No other wrestler did so. Adams won TWO national titles in two weekends last March. He won two gold medals at the Pan Am Games in April/May. Was the MOW at the games.

Put on that red shirt Gator and call it straight down the middle.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:25 pm

We do have a unique situation this season unlike any other past season. All wrestlers that could even be considered for the 2017 Dutton Award will be schedule together at the Powerade Tournament.

Then a few days later, Indy and South have a dual. Two of the three should see each other then.

mattman

Postby mattman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:12 pm

The Dutton award is for the best wrestler in the state. We all know Noah is the best wrestler in the state hands down. Noah is probably,well to my knowledge, the most decorated wrestler in the history of the state. Imo, Jacob Hart will get the OW award if and more than likely when he wins his 4th state title. Who has done more on the national level than Noah? Noah was ranked #1 in the country by FLO and is a heavily recruited division 1 talent. Hart and Noah have been drilling with each other for 10 plus years, see a pattern here?? Pretty sure both OW recipients and the Ditton will be wearing Patriot red, white and blue!

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:42 pm

Frank wrote:As a wrestling fan, how could you say that the loser of a wrestling match is the better wrestler.

You are looking at one match Frank, not a career. Clinton is your candidate, not mine!

Bearhugger, calling them down the middle? When have you done that? You're usually all over the place.

4 state titles for 2, 3 for another...that's down the middle!

Now, after all that, I take nothing from Noah Adams. He has done it all and done it well. He's also a great young man. I have listened to people tear down Justin Allman on here for going on 4 years and he just keeps winning. Just because you have a sour taste in your mouth because he dons a South singlet is bull! Justin is a good kid too and deserves to be in any conversation for awards.

Jacob Hart is also another great wrestler going for #4 and deserves any consideration for any award.

We are blessed to have these guys wrestle here in WV, but to trash one is unjust!

I threw the red shirt out. I don't look good in red! :roll:
Moderator WV Mat

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:58 am

Dutton talk...obviously Adams will win it unless he gets upset at the state tournament. His total accomplishments are unmatched. Its not even close. This will likely be the easiest decision they have made in years.

Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:32 am

Gator wrote:

You are looking at one match Frank, not a career. Clinton is your candidate, not mine!

Bearhugger, calling them down the middle? When have you done that? You're usually all over the place.

Now, after all that, I take nothing from Noah Adams. He has done it all and done it well. He's also a great young man. I have listened to people tear down Justin Allman on here for going on 4 years and he just keeps winning. Just because you have a sour taste in your mouth because he dons a South singlet is bull! Justin is a good kid too and deserves to be in any conversation for awards.

Jacob Hart is also another great wrestler going for #4 and deserves any consideration for any award.

We are blessed to have these guys wrestle here in WV, but to trash one is unjust!

I'm not trashing anyone, please don't start the poor south thing, I named all three, so he is in the conversation.
Love you Gator

DWM

Postby DWM » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:59 am

Allman goes to South so you have to give it to him, case closed.

Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:06 am

DWM wrote:Allman goes to South so you have to give it to him, case closed.

Not true

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:17 am

Our conversations on here aren't going to sway any Dutton votes. We'll have to let the voters decide. DWM, sarcasm is okay in small amounts.

Frank, I'm still on for dinner with you and Bear. Just tell me what you guys like to digest.
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:30 am

Gator wrote:

Gator, nobody has a sour taste in their mouth because of what singlet anybody wears. My original post in this thread acknowledged a 3 man race, not a one man race. Frank and I were both at the Super 32 and we were pulling for the South wrestlers, along with all other WV wrestlers. I will also be doing the same in pulling for WV at the Powerade until we have head to head competition.

If Noah had not been DQ'ed and denied a state title, then he would be going for his 4th. He was sure to win a state title his sophomore season. Ranked #1 all season, beat the eventual AAA 170 pound champion and also beat the eventual AA/A 182 pound champion and 2016 MOW.

You take the 4 titles along with the National titles, World Team trials awards and Pan Am championships into consideration and none of us would be having any of these conversations. So basically, it comes down to a DQ.

Personally, I hope to see all three wrestle somewhere in college.

Frank, I think Gator owes us lunch or dinner due to his harsh words.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 am

Harsh words? Not really. Just trying to give my boy Allman some love. South is by no means "poor" Frank.

You don't have to sell me on Noah Adam's achievements. I can't wait to see him in a WV singlet.

I'm on a fixed income, so we'll have to go Smitty's hot dog shop!
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Gator wrote:Harsh words? Not really. Just trying to give my boy Allman some love. South is by no means "poor" Frank.

You don't have to sell me on Noah Adam's achievements. I can't wait to see him in a WV singlet.

I'm on a fixed income, so we'll have to go Smitty's hot dog shop!

Gator, you are all over the place. Using "by no means poor" and "fixed income" in the same post. Frank and I will buy lunch. Where is the closet Walmart where we can by a loaf of bread and some Spam? Better yet, where is the thrift store where we can buy bread for a reduced price?

We got your back.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:13 pm

Dang, in that case Bear I better pack some heat! We'll have to find a place that allows shirtless dudes in because Frank can't keep his shirt on.
Moderator WV Mat

Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:38 pm

It the public,
They want to see me shirtless .
I'm just trying to please

Return to “High School Wrestling”