Hoover

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Hoover

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:25 pm

How are the wrestlers up Elk River getting along? I am taking upon myself that practices are being held at the middle school for the high school wrestlers.

With that short class schedule, there should be plenty of extra training time.

Who can provide some feedback for this bunch?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

uknowme

Re: Hoover

Postby uknowme » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:46 pm

Yea, I would assume that they are practicing at the middle school but talk about scheduling the gym. You have Elkview going 7:30-12 and Hoover attending school 12-4:30. So the gym is being used from 7:30-4:30 for gym classes. Then you have both Elkview and Hoover boys/girls basketball, wrestling, and cheerleading. That is 8 different teams trying to practice and schedule games/matches in one gym!! I'm sure that some of these teams practice else where, don't know where. I have several friends and contacts from the river. I will give them a call and see what I can find out. It will be interesting to here and see how the team performs this year.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:37 am

uknowme wrote:Yea, I would assume that they are practicing at the middle school but talk about scheduling the gym. You have Elkview going 7:30-12 and Hoover attending school 12-4:30. So the gym is being used from 7:30-4:30 for gym classes. Then you have both Elkview and Hoover boys/girls basketball, wrestling, and cheerleading. That is 8 different teams trying to practice and schedule games/matches in one gym!! I'm sure that some of these teams practice else where, don't know where. I have several friends and contacts from the river. I will give them a call and see what I can find out. It will be interesting to here and see how the team performs this year.

What is the scoop?

They should cancel gym class. I have a friend whose son goes to Elkview. He only goes half a day. I cannot image wasting valuable education time on gym class when you only have half a day.

Besides, many of the kids I see these days do not look like gym class is doing them any good. Soft!!!!!!

When I was in junior high, they spent a few weeks during wrestling season teaching wrestling in gym class. 100% of the boys in the school were taught the sport, the basic moves, the scoring and then we wrestled in gym class.

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:52 am

Hoover is also still doing the half day, they go 12-4:30. It looks like it will be this way until at least spring break. Hoover is practicing in the field house up at the football field. They can't use Elkview Middle gym due to scheduling. You have gym classes in the morning for the middle school and then the afternoon for the high school. The basketball teams have even been practicing at the local YMCA in the morning before school or afternoon for middle school. Then you have four basketball teams, two archery teams, and two cheerleading teams scheduling gym time for games and matches. I'm sure that's a very easy process.

I agree with you on the gym classes. I feel some are a waste. Most kids don't even participate

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:37 pm

I feel for teams that are trying to overcome this adversity from the flooding. It's not a good situation, but they are managing to push forward and show resiliency. Regarding PE classes: No participation = fail the class = no credit = re-take it. Don't give them an option. Gym teachers need to advocate for their programs and they have had to do this for a long time. It has been cut back to the point now that it is hardly doing any good. More physical fitness is what we need- not less. Cancelling PE classes wouldn't help practice time unless you allowed teams to practice during the instructional day. I would say that it would be more accurate to say that "some" kids don't participate in PE. "Most" kids don't wrestle. We don't want to say it isn't worth it based on that and do away with it. Just a thought from an old PE guy that still sees the value in it.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:35 pm

Just to add to the discussion...30 minutes of PE is required for middle school by state law. It specifically describes it as moderate to vigorous activity. In addition, state law also mandates 30 minutes of mild to moderate activity, which is where recess comes in. So by law, one hour per school day must be dedicated to recess and PE.

In high school PE is a graduation requirement. You must have one credit of PE to graduate. No exceptions. While 9th, 10th and 11th graders can skip the PE requirement right now, if they have seniors who procrastinated and didn't get their PE credit before this year then those students have to get that credit now or they do not walk.

Cummings

Postby Cummings » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:40 pm

The Elk River Boys know how to get kids ready for the wrestling mat. They have a great tradition and i'm sure they're making the necessary sacrifices. I feel our state and federal aid shorted all the folks who suffered. Many West Virginians stepped up and volunteered to help each other. Our friends children (high school age) were scheduled to go on an out of state mission trip with church. After the flood they decided to head to Richwood for their mission trip and help those folks. Truly awesome.

Cancel PE and Health?? Ya gym class is a waste of time. We should add more classes geared toward testing in science, language, and math. We should take the money allocated for health and physical education and spend it on another "Program to end all Programs". We could take all the PE and Health teachers' salaries and buy more programs to help kids who continually make the wrong decisions and cause graduation rates to drop.
Wait, what would the schools do with the extra 480 kids who are regularly scheduled to have PE or Health throughout the day? It would be a shame if core teachers had to have more than 30 kids in a class at one time. PE teachers are accustomed to having 40-50 kids to manage in 1 gym. Plus if we cancelled all PE classes we can use the gym more often for blood drives, pictures, make up pictures, make up make up pictures, fundraisers, concerts, horse and pony shows etc. I'm sure the state and school building authorities will gladly donate the millions of dollars required for more "real" classrooms.

I do understand parent frustration when their kids tell them they don't do anything in gym class. Our PE classes are the only physical activity some kids get. Come to Hurricane High and see what we do Bear.
[color=#FF0000]Lee Cummings

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:41 pm

The key point I was making was that Hoover and Elkview Middle only have 1/2 the time all of the other WV schools have to get their classes in.

Under those circumstances, gym class is not as important as some courses that might help these kids progress to the point of attending college.

Based on what I see in many of today's kids, they should go to school 16 hours a day. Eight hours gym class and then eight hours for math, science, etc.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:23 am

Bearhugger wrote:The key point I was making was that Hoover and Elkview Middle only have 1/2 the time all of the other WV schools have to get their classes in.

Under those circumstances, gym class is not as important as some courses that might help these kids progress to the point of attending college.

Based on what I see in many of today's kids, they should go to school 16 hours a day. Eight hours gym class and then eight hours for math, science, etc.

I don't disagree that gym is less important than academics. I was just FYIing that state law requires it and the principal/superintendent can actually get in trouble if it is not part of the daily curriculum. I would think that if they contacted the correct people at WVDE they could get a temporary waiver based on the circumstances, but they can't just not have it without some blowback.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:37 am

coach_williams wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:The key point I was making was that Hoover and Elkview Middle only have 1/2 the time all of the other WV schools have to get their classes in.

I don't disagree that gym is less important than academics. I was just FYIing that state law requires it and the principal/superintendent can actually get in trouble if it is not part of the daily curriculum. I would think that if they contacted the correct people at WVDE they could get a temporary waiver based on the circumstances, but they can't just not have it without some blowback.

I appreciate the FYI. Why are we not seeing any scores for Braxton county? Good luck this weekend.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:47 am

Bearhugger wrote:I appreciate the FYI. Why are we not seeing any scores for Braxton county? Good luck this weekend.

So far no wrestling. This weekend at Nicholas will be our first match of the season. I think I might be more excited about it than the wrestlers LOL

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:08 am

coach_williams wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:I appreciate the FYI. Why are we not seeing any scores for Braxton county? Good luck this weekend.

So far no wrestling. This weekend at Nicholas will be our first match of the season. I think I might be more excited about it than the wrestlers LOL

I heard Braxton has a couple of freshmen that should shake things up. Good luck.

mscoach7

Postby mscoach7 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:21 am

You can have all the academic education in the world, it does you no good unless you learn how to take care of your body through health and physical education! Not to mention PE is where kids learn sportsmanship, team work, the art of healthy competition. As a Physical Educator I find it trouble some that as advocates of a very health regulated sport that some of you feel that physical education is less important or inferior then other subjects. Please do not down play the importance of physical education....I'm sure you wouldn't tell an accountant that math was not important, or a historian that the past is irrelevant!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:34 pm

Bearhugger wrote:I heard Braxton has a couple of freshmen that should shake things up. Good luck.

Yeah we have several freshman that are looking good. Overall this is a solid team from top to bottom. Thanks for the well wishes.

Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:35 pm

I believe one of
Braxton's freshmen is Frank trained.
Not fully Frank trained, but enough to wreak havoc on any weight class.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:15 pm

who are the Braxton freshman you are referring to?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:53 pm

Frank wrote:I believe one of
Braxton's freshmen is Frank trained.
Not fully Frank trained, but enough to wreak havoc on any weight class.

No doubt about it, he has benefitted quite a bit from some Frank influence :D

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:08 pm

mscoach64 wrote:who are the Braxton freshman you are referring to?

We have a freshman at 106 that took our varsity 106 into overtime in a wrestle-off. We have another quick learner at 132 that will be fun to watch as he grows.

The freshman that Frank speaks of is my son Jordan Williams. In his first ever high school match he was nervous and made some mistakes and got pinned, but he rectified himself by pinning his next 3 opponents and beating Cameron Crislip 3-2 in the duals championship.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:24 pm

did Jordan wrestle in middle school last season?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:58 pm

mscoach64 wrote:did Jordan wrestle in middle school last season?

Yeah. He was at New Martinsville MS in Wetzel county.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:35 pm

coach_williams wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:did Jordan wrestle in middle school last season?

Yeah. He was at New Martinsville MS in Wetzel county.
ok. I just knew we wrestled Braxton middle a bunch last season and I didn't remember that name. Braxton has some good sophomores too. they have a kids named meador and green as freshmen. and, I know that they have some good 8th graders currently.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:13 am

I hope all of the moves Frank taught him were within the rule book.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:32 pm

Bearhugger wrote:I hope all of the moves Frank taught him were within the rule book.

Absolutely 100% 8-)

Return to “High School Wrestling”