Top 5 wrestlers

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
coach_williams

Re: Top 5 wrestlers

Postby coach_williams » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Gator wrote:Coach, South is not just handed funds by the school or BOE to attend events. They have a dedicated, hardworking group of boosters, parents and fans who do fundraisers year round to allow the team to travel. It merely takes folks willing to organize these fundraiser and see them through. Any school can do it if they have the right people in place.

No, any school can not do that if they have the right people. Some schools limit when the wrestling team can fundraise. Others limit how many fundraisers they can run. I have personally been subjected to both of these scenarios. At one school we were only allowed to fundraise during season (not an easy task for a sport that falls during the Thanksgiving/Christmas period) and at another we were limited to two fundraisers per year. So in a way, being allowed to fundraise year round is still a form of support from the AD/principal/BOE.

I want to clarify that I am finding no fault with South or any other team at all. NONE. I think it should be that way for everyone.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:19 pm

coach_williams wrote:
Gator wrote:Coach, South is not just handed funds by the school or BOE to attend events. They have a dedicated, hardworking group of boosters, parents and fans who do fundraisers year round to allow the team to travel. It merely takes folks willing to organize these fundraiser and see them through. Any school can do it if they have the right people in place.

No, any school can not do that if they have the right people. Some schools limit when the wrestling team can fundraise. Others limit how many fundraisers they can run. I have personally been subjected to both of these scenarios. At one school we were only allowed to fundraise during season (not an easy task for a sport that falls during the Thanksgiving/Christmas period) and at another we were limited to two fundraisers per year. So in a way, being allowed to fundraise year round is still a form of support from the AD/principal/BOE.

I want to clarify that I am finding no fault with South or any other team at all. NONE. I think it should be that way for everyone.

Uhh, sounds like some good schools and administration to move away from to me. That's insane! I really don't know how a school can stop boosters from raising money. They are not tied to the school treasury.
Moderator WV Mat

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:44 pm

Our scenario was all monies raised went to an athletic boosters account and they got to decide how it got spent. The very last time I held a tournament we cleared about 7 grand. They spent most of it to send the cheerleaders to camp. We got a new flip chart for score, mat tape and some bleach. Every school is different- South has been blessed not only with great boosters but an administration that lets them travel, etc. Enjoy it, you could end up with a principal who used to be a cheerleader coach!
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:03 pm

Gator wrote:
coach_williams wrote:

Uhh, sounds like some good schools and administration to move away from to me. That's insane! I really don't know how a school can stop boosters from raising money. They are not tied to the school treasury.

I did move away, twice :)

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:08 pm

Panther_coach wrote:Our scenario was all monies raised went to an athletic boosters account and they got to decide how it got spent. The very last time I held a tournament we cleared about 7 grand. They spent most of it to send the cheerleaders to camp. We got a new flip chart for score, mat tape and some bleach. Every school is different- South has been blessed not only with great boosters but an administration that lets them travel, etc. Enjoy it, you could end up with a principal who used to be a cheerleader coach!

I had to deal with the opposite scenario. The AD was anti-wrestling AND somehow oversaw the boosters. The net result was that the money that we raised was ours and only ours, but I was restricted to fundraising only during season. No summertime car washes, no spring plant sales, and no fall hunting related raffles. It was a joke.

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:26 pm

Gator wrote:greencrush

"QFT again
Although, I can also agree that it would help if schools would fund their teams to some degree."

That would be great if the schools would help in all sports. It would be great if the school administration got behind the lesser income sports.

We usually only have 3-5 wrestling events at home at South or at Parkersburg High and bringing income to the schools is minimal. It would be great if the $$$ from all sports went into a big nest egg and distributed equally. It never works that way.

We do best when we wrestle Indy and Bearhugger and Frank hit the concession stand. ;)

Gator that shot was nice, the set up used was even better. Not sure but I think you just tech. Me and bearhugger both in one post.

mattman

Postby mattman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:38 pm

Frank, the rumor on the hill is that Lusher is wrestling as good as anyone on the squad right now. I got that info from a source with with a good eye. Tell Liam keep up the good work!

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:57 am

AAA
106: 1. Windland; 2. Holt; 3. Donahue; 4. Gray; 5. Nida
113: 1. Miller; 2. Irizarry; 3. Staud; 4. Ackerman; 5. Welker
120: 1. Roberts; 2. Adkins; 3. Byrd; 4. Wood; 5. Talbott
126: 1. Martin; 2. Shelek; 3. Best; 4. Jordan; 5. Haskins
132: 1. Creamer; 2. Slack; 3. Shamblin; 4. Rawlings; 5. Isabell
138: 1. Donahue; 2. Carmen; 3. Long; 4. Haynes; 5. Flinn
145: 1. Humphreys; 2. Jeffers; 3. Gibson; 4. Flinn; 5. Starkey
152: 1. Garcia; 2. Hinzman; 3. Stewart; 4. Hamlin; 5. Atkins
160: 1. Nash; 2. Pine; 3. Milam; 4. Dunbar; 5. Tie - Lanham and Holley
170: 1. Lambiotte; 2. Morgan; 3. Simpkins; 4. Casto; 5. King
182: 1. DeLong; 2. Morgan; 3. Valacvhovic; 4. Miklas; 5. Fischer
195: 1. Allman; 2. Jarvis; 3. Asbury; 4. Hall; 5. Lucas
220: 1. Haynes; 2. Pomeroy; 3. Porter; 4. Edgell; 5. Wolfe
285: 1. Holley; 2. Haga; 3. Holstion; 4. Swafford; 5. ?? who knows

Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:01 am

mattman wrote:Frank, the rumor on the hill is that Lusher is wrestling as good as anyone on the squad right now. I got that info from a source with with a good eye. Tell Liam keep up the good work!

Will do thamks

hurrmat1

Postby hurrmat1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:06 am

Postby guard0544 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:57 am

AAA
106: 1. Windland; 2. Holt; 3. Donahue; 4. Gray; 5. Nida
113: 1. Miller; 2. Irizarry; 3. Staud; 4. Ackerman; 5. Welker
120: 1. Roberts; 2. Adkins; 3. Byrd; 4. Wood; 5. Talbott
126: 1. Martin; 2. Shelek; 3. Best; 4. Jordan; 5. Haskins
132: 1. Creamer; 2. Slack; 3. Shamblin; 4. Rawlings; 5. Isabell
138: 1. Donahue; 2. Carmen; 3. Long; 4. Haynes; 5. Flinn
145: 1. Humphreys; 2. Jeffers; 3. Gibson; 4. Flinn; 5. Starkey
152: 1. Garcia; 2. Hinzman; 3. Stewart; 4. Hamlin; 5. Atkins
160: 1. Nash; 2. Pine; 3. Milam; 4. Dunbar; 5. Tie - Lanham and Holley
170: 1. Lambiotte; 2. Morgan; 3. Simpkins; 4. Casto; 5. King
182: 1. DeLong; 2. Morgan; 3. Valacvhovic; 4. Miklas; 5. Fischer
195: 1. Allman; 2. Jarvis; 3. Asbury; 4. Hall; 5. Lucas
220: 1. Haynes; 2. Pomeroy; 3. Porter; 4. Edgell; 5. Wolfe
285: 1. Holley; 2. Haga; 3. Holstion; 4. Swafford; 5. ?? who knows

I see some names on here I hadn't seen on others lists. Nice to see!! A couple of these kids are flying under the radar and have been overlooked thus far. The season is long, and anything can happen.....but I know that the kids I am talking about have busted it in the weight room and put in a ton of off season wrestling. Time will tell.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:51 pm

mattman wrote:Frank, the rumor on the hill is that Lusher is wrestling as good as anyone on the squad right now. I got that info from a source with with a good eye. Tell Liam keep up the good work!

Indy started at the Lake Norman Duals. The top team points scorers were as follows:

Adams @ 30
Hart, Jacob @ 29
Gibson and Lusher tied with 24.

Indy then went to Tennessee and won the US Army Indian Classic. There were four finalists: Adams, Jacob Hart, Gibson and Lusher.

Thus far, I have been to all of their matches to include last night’s tri with Point and Hoover. I don’t know what this bunch (the whole team, A, B and C) does in practice, but it is paying off.

I see a better version of each kid as compared to what I saw 5-6 days before.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Frank wrote:

Will do thamks

That new apparatus he has to hang his laundry on will pay off too.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:38 pm

To really pick top 5 wrestlers sure would like to know starting line ups with perspective weight classes for Huntington; Cabell Midland and St Albany. I think Souths starting line up can all be placed in top 5 and maybe a couple of their JVers could even be included. Indy has same situation and Parkersburg High has several quality wrestlers that as a team can finish second and have some sleeper state champs. I wish University, Morgantown, Lewis Co would post their results too.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:16 am

I'd like to add a few facts, comments and predictions if I may after reading that 5 part novel of a thread. 1) Nowhere in the thread regarding 132aa/a was the name Alec Cook mentioned. He is an absolute stud who simply had a bad weekend at states last year. He can compete w #1 and has beat #2 last year, #3 this year and just beat Nice 13-1 last weekend. Watch for him, he is coming.
2) 132aa/a Jake DeBee of OG quit. OG will likely patch that hole easily.
3)Caleb Rea at #4 aa/a126 will give Whorton more than he can handle.
And my prediction about the earlier comments toward Roberts not making it to the second period w Laya? Lol Roberts has the ability to control that match from every position. I'm sorry but I've seen who South has on their schedule. Iron man , St Eds, Powerade, etc. WV states will be a novice tournament to some of them. They certainly invite a challenge.

Rikishi

Postby Rikishi » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:56 am

wvnorth wrote:I'd like to add a few facts, comments and predictions if I may after reading that 5 part novel of a thread. 1) Nowhere in the thread regarding 132aa/a was the name Alec Cook mentioned. He is an absolute stud who simply had a bad weekend at states last year. He can compete w #1 and has beat #2 last year, #3 this year and just beat Nice 13-1 last weekend. Watch for him, he is coming.
And my prediction about the earlier comments toward Roberts not making it to the second period w Laya? Lol Roberts has the ability to control that match from every position. I'm sorry but I've seen who South has on their schedule. Iron man , St Eds, Powerade, etc. WV states will be a novice tournament to some of them. They certainly invite a challenge.

Alec Cook is a very good wrestler along with Dixon from Keyser who isn't on the list. East #3 and madonna have not wrestled this year so I'm not sure where they would have wrestled to have had that win.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:16 pm

Rikishi wrote:
wvnorth wrote:I'd like to add a few facts, comments and predictions if I may after reading that 5 part novel of a thread. 1) Nowhere in the thread regarding 132aa/a was the name Alec Cook mentioned. He is an absolute stud who simply had a bad weekend at states last year. He can compete w #1 and has beat #2 last year, #3 this year and just beat Nice 13-1 last weekend. Watch for him, he is coming.

Alec Cook is a very good wrestler along with Dixon from Keyser who isn't on the list. East #3 and madonna have not wrestled this year so I'm not sure where they would have wrestled to have had that win.

You are correct. He did not wrestle #2. His coach already let me know I was wrong first thing this morning. His annoying texts woke me from my nice sleep in day.

BadgerTrap45

Postby BadgerTrap45 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:16 pm

Levi Jarvis Braxton gets his state title this year
Seth Moore Calhoun I see being the front runner at 152
Metheney of Calhoun has been over looked too, 2x runner up and 3rd last year
Kyle Elliot N Marion is always tough
Danny Booth Fairmont Sr was a finalist last year
Does anyone know if Caleb Kuhn was a senior last year? If not he'll be tough

FBISURVALINCEVAN1

Postby FBISURVALINCEVAN1 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:11 pm

BadgerTrap45 wrote:Levi Jarvis Braxton gets his state title this year
Seth Moore Calhoun I see being the front runner at 152
Metheney of Calhoun has been over looked too, 2x runner up and 3rd last year
Kyle Elliot N Marion is always tough
Danny Booth Fairmont Sr was a finalist last year
Does anyone know if Caleb Kuhn was a senior last year? If not he'll be tough

Danny Booth now wrestles for North Marion, he is at 160 I do believe.

Caleb Kuhn is back for his senior year to defend his title at 152.

BadgerTrap45

Postby BadgerTrap45 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:38 pm

Kuhn and Moore will be a good match at 152 two very different styles of wrestling

aaacoach22

Postby aaacoach22 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:09 am

University wrestled in 2 tournaments and one dual, everyone is posted

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:36 pm

Bump, for the fun of reading

mattman

Postby mattman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:44 pm

Frank wrote:Bump, for the fun of reading
Frank, your not in the top 5 buddy. Your SV-2 loss to bearhugger cost you a spot. Right now I have
1 Rick Flair
2 Hulk Hogan
3 Gator
4 Bearhugger
5 Ricky the dragon Steamboat

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:55 pm

mattman wrote:
Frank wrote:Bump, for the fun of reading
Frank, your not in the top 5 buddy. Your SV-2 loss to bearhugger cost you a spot. Right now I have
1 Rick Flair
2 Hulk Hogan
3 Gator
4 Bearhugger
5 Ricky the dragon Steamboat

:D :D :D .............I tried to get Frank to keep his shirt on!
Moderator WV Mat

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:58 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

Indy started at the Lake Norman Duals. The top team points scorers were as follows:

Adams @ 30
Hart, Jacob @ 29

Indy then went to Tennessee and won the US Army Indian Classic. There were four finalists: Adams, Jacob Hart, Gibson and Lusher.

Thus far, I have been to all of their matches to include last night’s tri with Point and Hoover. I don’t know what this bunch (the whole team, A, B and C) does in practice, but it is paying off.

The improvement you see after <1 week, without doubt, comes from that tough, out of state competition, that those boys are rolling with. Huh, how about that.

No dig at you, just posting an observation.
sentenceseller

mattman

Postby mattman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:23 pm

greencrush wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Adams @ 30
Hart, Jacob @ 29

The improvement you see after <1 week, without doubt, comes from that tough, out of state competition, that those boys are rolling with. Huh, how about that.

Those Indy Patriots have it going on from bottom to top. The Hart brothers coached the young guns youth program for maybe 5-6 years before Jug took over the middle school. The things they teach the youth is exactly as coach Hart teaches the technique at the middle school and exactly how coach Warden teaches technique at the high school. Therefore, as the kids grow and their minds start taking in what they learn, it's basically muscle memory at that point to the youngsters. It's a fine oiled machine up there on the hill. It's a very small AA school that takes wrestling very seriously. I even seen one of their middle school kids wearing a shirt that said independence, a small school with a big wrestling problem, lol I thought that fit the program Pretty spot on. Add a group of good parents who are willing to help out and patch up the wounds from the practice room and you have the total package. Now you have a 3rd Hart brother and coach Doug at the middle school so the talent coming in to the high school room is looking very promising. All the coaches have sons of their own that wrestle and they aren't treated any differently than the first year kid. Those coaches love the kids and love the sport so imo that's why they keep growing as one. Almost forgot, there are zero 'clicks' or groups of kids that separate themselves from one another. Those kids are tight and back each other to the end. Independence wrestling is a top notch program and will stay a force for many years!

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:57 pm

mattman wrote:
greencrush wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Adams @ 30
Hart, Jacob @ 29

Those Indy Patriots have it going on from bottom to top. The Hart brothers coached the young guns youth program for maybe 5-6 years before Jug took over the middle school. The things they teach the youth is exactly as coach Hart teaches the technique at the middle school and exactly how coach Warden teaches technique at the high school. Therefore, as the kids grow and their minds start taking in what they learn, it's basically muscle memory at that point to the youngsters. It's a fine oiled machine up there on the hill. It's a very small AA school that takes wrestling very seriously. I even seen one of their middle school kids wearing a shirt that said independence, a small school with a big wrestling problem, lol I thought that fit the program Pretty spot on. Add a group of good parents who are willing to help out and patch up the wounds from the practice room and you have the total package. Now you have a 3rd Hart brother and coach Doug at the middle school so the talent coming in to the high school room is looking very promising. All the coaches have sons of their own that wrestle and they aren't treated any differently than the first year kid. Those coaches love the kids and love the sport so imo that's why they keep growing as one. Almost forgot, there are zero 'clicks' or groups of kids that separate themselves from one another. Those kids are tight and back each other to the end. Independence wrestling is a top notch program and will stay a force for many years!

Oh, continuity from youth to H.S has, without a doubt, an impact on performance. However, one of their top kids, Lusher, grew up with heavy Pickenpaugh (sp?) influence, from Greenbrier county. I know this without a doubt.
Can't blame that on continuity.
It's been a few years since I have been around the Indy program, but I am certain on this one. I know which kids grew up in which program, especially since those two used to practice together quite often.
sentenceseller

mattman

Postby mattman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:04 pm

greencrush wrote:
mattman wrote:
greencrush wrote:

Oh, continuity from youth to H.S has, without a doubt, an impact on perfprmance. However, one of their top kids, Lusher, grew up with heavy Pickenpaugh (sp?) influence, from Greenbrier county. I know this without a doubt.
lusher was in the young guns room 2-3 nights a week banging heads and also traveled with young guns during the summer. He is close to home grown as could possibly be. Frank loves the sport and I believe he would let Liam wrestle 7 days a week if possible lol. Liam is really turning some heads this year. Not the same kid as last year! I promise you

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:36 pm

mattman wrote:
greencrush wrote:
mattman wrote:Those Indy Patriots have it going on from bottom to top. The Hart brothers coached the young guns youth program for maybe 5-6 years before Jug took over the middle school. The things they teach the youth is exactly as coach Hart teaches the technique at the middle school and exactly how coach Warden teaches technique at the high school. Therefore, as the kids grow and their minds start taking in what they learn, it's basically muscle memory at that point to the youngsters. It's a fine oiled machine up there on the hill. It's a very small AA school that takes wrestling very seriously. I even seen one of their middle school kids wearing a shirt that said independence, a small school with a big wrestling problem, lol I thought that fit the program Pretty spot on. Add a group of good parents who are willing to help out and patch up the wounds from the practice room and you have the total package. Now you have a 3rd Hart brother and coach Doug at the middle school so the talent coming in to the high school room is looking very promising. All the coaches have sons of their own that wrestle and they aren't treated any differently than the first year kid. Those coaches love the kids and love the sport so imo that's why they keep growing as one. Almost forgot, there are zero 'clicks' or groups of kids that separate themselves from one another. Those kids are tight and back each other to the end. Independence wrestling is a top notch program and will stay a force for many years!

Oh, continuity from youth to H.S has, without a doubt, an impact on perfprmance. However, one of their top kids, Lusher, grew up with heavy Pickenpaugh (sp?) influence, from Greenbrier county. I know this without a doubt.
lusher was in the young guns room 2-3 nights a week banging heads and also traveled with young guns during the summer. He is close to home grown as could possibly be. Frank loves the sport and I believe he would let Liam wrestle 7 days a week if possible lol. Liam is really turning some heads this year. Not the same kid as last year! I promise you

All of the above is spot on. But I am sure the current week to week improvements I am seeing is the result of week to week coaching, tightening of technique and problem solving with each wrestler. In addition, the parents and fans in Coal City are the "fundraising-est" bunch I have ever seen. A goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood bunch.

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:02 am

Liam is Frank trained,
His style has been influenced by every wrestling room within 50 miles of home.
Spent time having scarbro crushing him with the pee wee killer. Miluks and mills half. Hart's front headlock, tencher tech. And to many more to mention. Plus he's spent a lot of time at camps. You would think with all this training he'd get to be a decent wrestler.

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:04 am

Liam is Frank trained,
His style has been influenced by every wrestling room within 50 miles of home.
Spent time having scarbro crushing him with the pee wee killer. Miluks and mills half. Hart's front headlock, tencher tech. And to many more to mention. Plus he's spent a lot of time at camps. You would think with all this training he'd get to be a decent wrestler by now.

Return to “High School Wrestling”