WVU vs Virginia Tech at Parkersburg HS Dec.18

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach17

WVU vs Virginia Tech at Parkersburg HS Dec.18

Postby aaacoach17 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:39 pm

Hey folks I just want to let everyone know/promote the match with WVU and Virginia Tech on December 18th at 2pm at Parkersburg High School. There will also be a youth clinic in the Jack Stephens gym starting at noon. Everyone attending the clinic and/or the match will need a ticket. My hope and goal is that we sell every ticket available and sell out!!

Tickets
-On sale now at WVUGAME.com, 1-800-WVU-GAME, and the Mountaineer Ticket Office

-On sale at the PHS Memorial Field House, 2nd floor athletics office beginning Wednesday, November 30

-Athletics office is open from 8:00 am to 11:30 am, and 12 pm to 3:30 pm Monday through Friday

-Prices are the same as our home events:

-GA: $5
-Youth/Senior: $3
-Groups of 10 or more: $2

Youth Clinic

-Registration form and all details found here: http://wvusports.co/2fX3dgr
-Clinic registration also opens on Wednesday. We will cut off registration when the 300 slots are full. WE CANNOT HAVE MORE THAN THIS.
-Change from last year – all participants must have a ticket to the match vs. VA Tech. We will not allow admittance without a ticket.

Thanks and hope to see you there,

Chris Way
Parkersburg High School

mattman

Re: WVU vs Virginia Tech at Parkersburg HS Dec.18

Postby mattman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:20 am

Wow, how did Parkersburg get that dual for both school off campus? Be well worth a ticket! Good stuff Chris!

aaacoach17

Postby aaacoach17 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:53 am

To add to the excitement of the match, FloWrestling has decided they are going to come to Parkersburg as well and cover the match and stream it live on their website!
If your not familiar with FloWrestling, you need to go check it out. This should add some extra excitement, coverage, and publicity!

aaacoach17

Postby aaacoach17 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:02 pm

Well in the occurrence that someone does care, I will continue to update people with wrestling information that I think is relevant. Ironically many people have expressed great interest in this event and I've witnessed people come in and buy hundreds of tickets in person at the HS last week.

On the other hand, maybe "no one cares" what a person behind an anonymous screen name has to say, especially when usually negatively talking about the sport that the most of us have a passion for watching, coaching, and participating in.

Thanks, Chris Way

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm expecting a sell out or a near sell out. I hope it is crazy loud.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:07 pm

First time I've witnessed a crowd that size since back in the day when the South/PHS dual used to fill the Fieldhouse! Near capacity crowd!

The event was well received and I saw people there from all around the state.

Good to see my friend Dylan Cottrell warming up prior to the matches and we'll see him back soon.

They saved the Jared Haught and Jake Smith match(197) until the end and it didn't disappoint. Ended tied 1-1 at end of regulation and Haught used a reversal in SV to win by one, 3-2. Great job by both young men representing their schools and WV proudly!

Thank you coach Way for making this happen for the community.

Final score: Va Tech 36 WVU 4
Moderator WV Mat

Jbee

Postby Jbee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:43 pm

I seem to remember WVU and Ohio State at the Fieldhouse in the late 70's. I think it was after a South- PHS match.
It was probably a larger crowd then they get in the Coliseum.
Lifes tough....Wear a Helmet!

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:25 pm

Will WVU ever be competitive in wrestling these days?
Can they simply not recruit enough elite wrestlers? Curious...

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:42 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Will WVU ever be competitive in wrestling these days?
Can they simply not recruit enough elite wrestlers? Curious...

There were wrestlers in several of the matches with a chance to win, that it just didnt work out for. If the other nationally ranked wrestler was in the lineup, that would have been another win for them. They were facing one of the top teams in the country.

I think as a program they can continue to build and get to where everyone wants them to be...but it is going to take years of beginning to build a tradition of excellence. Even if you have an excellent coaching staff and facilities, you are still significantly out-matched in the "tradition" department. Do you want to wrestle for WVU...or one of the programs that have traditionally been good for the past 15-20 years? I feel improvement will necessarily be gradual over the course of a decade or more.

Return to “High School Wrestling”