Schedules

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mattman

Schedules

Postby mattman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:37 am

I know Indy, Huntington, South and St. Albans wrestle tough schedules and get out of the state a little but who has the toughest schedule in the state? I seen Indy's schedule and it's not a schedule designed for even the best kids to go undefeated. I know a few WV schools will head to poweraid but which team hits an absolute meat grinder of a schedule?

Gator

Re: Schedules

Postby Gator » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:43 am

South opens in a quad against St Eds (#2 Intermat in the country), Wadsworth and Huntington. Followed by the #1 ranked tournament in the country, The Ironman. Then the Olentangy Liberty Invitational in Columbus and Powerade at Canon Mac. That's just in December! They will later host Ripley, Indy, GW,Brooke, St Albans, Morgantown and Parkersburg High in duals. The Brooke Classic and OVAC tourneys also and OVAC Duals.
Moderator WV Mat

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:28 am

Where could one find South's schedule?

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:03 pm

The last I heard, South's schedule was still a work in progress. Here is December's schedule:
Dec 3 at St. Eds Quad with Wadsworth and Huntington
Dec. 9-10 at Walsh Ironman
Dec 16-17 at Olentangy Liberty Invite
Dec 29-30 at Powerade, Washington PA
Jan 6-7 at WV Duals, PHS

Thanks - Brent

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:23 pm

I am going to go out on a limb and say that it is nearly impossible for most teams to have a schedule as tough as the teams mentioned here. Many teams are simply not fortunate enough to have the support of an athletic department that allows them to travel out of state. Heck, we have teams that can't even get approval for overnight trips to wrestle within the state. Kudos to these teams for their tough schedules and opportunities. I won't deny, I am a tad bit envious.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:06 pm

coach_williams wrote:I am going to go out on a limb and say that it is nearly impossible for most teams to have a schedule as tough as the teams mentioned here. Many teams are simply not fortunate enough to have the support of an athletic department that allows them to travel out of state. Heck, we have teams that can't even get approval for overnight trips to wrestle within the state. Kudos to these teams for their tough schedules and opportunities. I won't deny, I am a tad bit envious.

Why are teams not allowed to travel overnight?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:09 am

Bearhugger wrote:
coach_williams wrote:I am going to go out on a limb and say that it is nearly impossible for most teams to have a schedule as tough as the teams mentioned here. Many teams are simply not fortunate enough to have the support of an athletic department that allows them to travel out of state. Heck, we have teams that can't even get approval for overnight trips to wrestle within the state. Kudos to these teams for their tough schedules and opportunities. I won't deny, I am a tad bit envious.

Why are teams not allowed to travel overnight?

They use the excuse of the almighty dollar. Last year my son's team (middle school) wouldn't go to WSAZs. They used the excuse that they couldn't afford the hotel rooms. I offered to spring for rooms for the entire varsity team and still WSAZs were a no-go. I have heard the same out of high school teams.

Simplehalf

Postby Simplehalf » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:32 am

There is no question that a weak schedule will hurt your team. Go to as many tournaments and duals as possible. Its a shame some schools could be a power house, but have no support.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 am

The parents and the community should work on fund raising year round.

Simplehalf

Postby Simplehalf » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:41 am

What percentage of teams will not be wrestling this weekend? Is this common?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:23 pm

Bearhugger wrote:The parents and the community should work on fund raising year round.

I agree, but some schools won't allow funding that way. Last year the head coach told me he was limited to 2 fundraisers and he could only do them during the wrestling season. That obviously hurts the wrestling team because they have to fundraise guring the Thanksgiving/Christmas season when people are penny-pinching for holiday spending.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:22 pm

coach_williams wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:The parents and the community should work on fund raising year round.

I agree, but some schools won't allow funding that way. Last year the head coach told me he was limited to 2 fundraisers and he could only do them during the wrestling season. That obviously hurts the wrestling team because they have to fundraise guring the Thanksgiving/Christmas season when people are penny-pinching for holiday spending.

My mother was a school teacher. Not all of her principals were good.

Return to “High School Wrestling”