Shaking Hands

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
P.H.D.

Shaking Hands

Postby P.H.D. » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Over the years I've noticed several teams , under instruction, do not shake the opposing coaches hand after their match. Sure both teams shake hand after the completion of the entire dual but I'm at a loss as to why a coach would have their wrestlers not shake hands directly after their individual match with the opposing coaches. I don't believe time constraints are a viable excuse so I'm really curious to hear opinions.

Gator

Re: Shaking Hands

Postby Gator » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:30 pm

P.H.D. wrote:Over the years I've noticed several teams , under instruction, do not shake the opposing coaches hand after their match. Sure both teams shake hand after the completion of the entire dual but I'm at a loss as to why a coach would have their wrestlers not shake hands directly after their individual match with the opposing coaches. I don't believe time constraints are a viable excuse so I'm really curious to hear opinions.

You should go back and read some old forum post on this subject. They have been hashed and re-hashed every year on here.
Moderator WV Mat

Repoman1304

Postby Repoman1304 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Think about it like this, does every player that scores a basket in a game go shake the opposing coaches had after each basket, does every player that scores a touchdown or hits a homerun or scores a goal in soccer shake the opposing coaches hand afterwards, no they don't. Why do people expect this out of wrestlers then expect them to shake after the match. Think about it they shake hands before and after each match with their opponents and at the end no other sport does this that I know of. I have seen through the years a few bad things happen on the hand shake with the opposing coach I have seen personally a coach smart my son off or rufuse to shake his hand. I agree with not shaking hands until afterwards but it's up to each teams coach how they want their wrestlers to act, I don't think it has anything to do with respect and if you ask them they probably have a good reason. Just my opinion.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:06 pm

P.H.D. wrote:Over the years I've noticed several teams , under instruction, do not shake the opposing coaches hand after their match. Sure both teams shake hand after the completion of the entire dual but I'm at a loss as to why a coach would have their wrestlers not shake hands directly after their individual match with the opposing coaches. I don't believe time constraints are a viable excuse so I'm really curious to hear opinions.

Sorry Gator I did no research.

Reponan, there are many situations. I simply don't like a coach telling my son do not shake the opposing coaches hand after his match.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:15 pm

P.H.D. wrote:

Reponan, there are many situations. I simply don't like a coach telling my son do not shake the opposing coaches hand after his match.

No problem P.H.D. Just thought if you had the time to look back through post from the past couple years, you would find many thoughts and opinions on the subject. Some are very interesting! :roll:
Moderator WV Mat

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:01 am

LOL I dont think the fans would like it if after every basket they started shaking hands.They do shake hands after the game just like wrestlers should do after every match. If you have to worry about a coach doing somthing to one of your wrestlers
he should not be out there.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:51 am

noshowjoe said: "LOL I dont think the fans would like it if after every basket they started shaking hands.They do shake hands after the game just like wrestlers should do after every match. If you have to worry about a coach doing somthing to one of your wrestlers
he should not be out there."

Now see how you misinterpret?!?! Who said something about a coach DOING SOMETHING TO ONE OF YOUR WRESTLERS. ? I said I don't like them telling him not to shake hands. Lol Contribute constructively if you can, dont just post snide insinuations like a J.O.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:59 am

Gator wrote:
P.H.D. wrote:

No problem P.H.D. Just thought if you had the time to look back through post from the past couple years, you would find many thoughts and opinions on the subject. Some are very interesting! :roll:

Gator, I will look them up, thanks!

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:14 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if someday we have people saying its rude to not go and shake the opposing coaches hand BEFORE the match. Or at least bow to the corner three times to show respect, right?

i don't mind people shaking the opposing coaches hand. But I'd also not mind if no one did it and wrestlers just stuck to shaking the opponents hand.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:26 pm

Guard0544: (quote) i don't mind people shaking the opposing coaches hand. But I'd also not mind if no one did it and wrestlers just stuck to shaking the opponents hand.

That's the way I see it too Guard. It's up to the coaches to decide. As long as the wrestlers show some respect on the mat, it doesn't matter.
Moderator WV Mat

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:49 pm

I don't care for the "they don't do it in football or basketball" comparison. I don't see where what they do has any bearing on what we do. We also don't celebrate scoring with celebration dances or celebrate victories by cutting the singlet off of opposing teams. We shake hands to show respect. I don't see a problem with wrestlers not shaking hands with a coach after a match, but I also don't see where it is a big enough of an issue that it needs changed either.

mattman

Postby mattman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:11 pm

For those who know, I call this the "another one bites the dust" rule. An opposing coach (won't mention who or the team) told a wrestler who came to shake his hand after the wrestler lost the match, another one bites the dust. That is total disrespect and shows about zero class from the coach. I know wrestling is an intense sport for wrestlers, coaches and parents but that is overdoing it. I personally do not see a problem with not shaking the coaches hand after the match. So many bad things can happen in the heat of the moment that can't be taken back.

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:00 pm

Last year my son won a hard fought semifinal match at regionals. When he went to shake the opposing coaches hand the coach just turned around and walked away while my son stood there and wondered what he did wrong. I feel that not shaking the coaches hand after the match is OK because sometimes it creates uncomfortable situations due to the intensity of the sport.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:57 am

My view on it is strictly related to the team my son wrestled for now. They do not shake hands w the opposing coach after the match. But every team we wrestle shakes our coaches hand. Maybe I wasn't raised disrespectful enough but I think we look like cocky assholes.

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:09 am

I am a big fan of the shaking of hands. It is intended to show respect towards your opponent. It is not mandatory except after the individual match between the two wrestlers. There are a variety of reasons why some coaches don't encourage this after the dual. Arguments can be made for both sides of the discussion. This has been discussed so many times before that it is old news.

I think we should put this one to bed or as an old friend of mine so often says,

"The dead horse will not make a sound when you beat it".

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:57 am

We need to quit talking about shaking hands for the next three years. Wrestling has bigger problems to deal with.

1. Low Participation. There are fewer "hands" to shake.

2. Injury prevention. Too many wrestlers out this season. Few "hand" injuries but too many knees.

3. Off the mat conduct. When "hands" are in cuffs, they cannot wrestle.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:55 pm

Bearhugger wrote:We need to quit talking about shaking hands for the next three years. Wrestling has bigger problems to deal with.

2. Injury prevention. Too many wrestlers out this season. Few "hand" injuries but too many knees.

Crusty1

Postby Crusty1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:56 pm

I hate when someone short fingers me on a handshake

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:41 pm

P.H.D. i did not misinterpret that is the reason alot of teams dont do it.

Zacsdad

Postby Zacsdad » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:30 am

Bearhugger wrote:We need to quit talking about shaking hands for the next three years. Wrestling has bigger problems to deal with.

Spot on! We are facing all three of these situations at our school this year.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:02 pm

Zacsdad wrote:

Spot on! We are facing all three of these situations at our school this year.

This is a bad season for the sport. Thank God for all of the kids that ARE wrestling and Making Wrestling Great Again.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:10 pm

This does seem to be a tough year. My son is a senior and has wrestled since he was 7. He also tore his ACL in football and is missing his senior year. He is rehabbing hard with a slim shot at returning but it is a devastating injury. Its tough for him to sit back and watch. He'd give any thing to wrestle one last time.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:46 pm

Shake hands after each match; it's just good sportsmanship; it takes a second and it's what adults do in our society. I cannot believe this is even a topic of discussion, this is something as a kid growing up and watching High School wrestling that for some reason I would watch after each match, I thought so much of the losing wrestler having the sportsmanship to shake hands and the losing coach to shake the winning wrestlers hand. My opinion but how long does it take? I think it shows good discipline!

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:27 am

When I was in school wrestling, long ago, after shaking our opponents hand and then his coaches hand we then returned to our side of the mat and grabbed 2 big oranges and delivered one to our opponent. Does that still happen anywhere?

Return to “High School Wrestling”