Is this the future of wrestling?????

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Is this the future of wrestling?????

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:44 pm

On December 10th, St. Mary's defeated Robert C Byrd 30 to 18.

There was only one actual match wrestled. A girl pinned a boy. The other 13 weight classes ended in forfeits or double forfeits.

We need to take a new look at this sport and find more ways to get the kids who want to wrestle............on the mat every week.

Team sport? Barely. Individual sport? Always has been.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Truesouthfaninhunt

Re: Is this the future of wrestling?????

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:07 pm

I posted a comment about the same topic/problem a few weeks ago... It was countered as no big deal and would most likely improve once wrestlers accumulated enough practice sessions following playoff football??? Maybe you will have better luck with your premise, of which I completely agree. It is a dismal sign.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:31 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:I posted a comment about the same topic/problem a few weeks ago... It was countered as no big deal and would most likely improve once wrestlers accumulated enough practice sessions following playoff football??? Maybe you will have better luck with your premise, of which I completely agree. It is a dismal sign.

Here are the signs I see:

1. WV is indeed producing better wrestlers. However, it is a few here and there and not to the tune of 14+ wrestlers per school.

2. The good programs are producing 13 to 14 good wrestlers along with 2 to 6 top notch JV kids.

3. The team race is a joke!

4. The state dual championship is a good idea. Unrealistic though.

To make wrestling rewarding for the kids who participate and work hard is to allow 100% of all wrestlers (A, B and C) enter the region. Whoever wrestles and makes the top 4, then send them to the state tournament.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:56 pm

It is important for us to remember that the state in general is seeing a decline in population. The state loses around 4,000 residents per year. Assuming most of these people are families, that means somewhere around half of the decline in population is school age children. That is 2,000 less students in our schools every year. It is not just wrestling that is down. School band and choir is down, high school football teams that used to field 50 players are now scraping to get 40, some schools are having to scrap softball and wrestling programs simply because the lack of participation doesn't justify the expense.

aacoach106

Postby aacoach106 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:58 pm

Sometimes you do the best with what you have. Why does it matter that it was a girl that beat a boy? Why not just say there was one match! Rcb has four wrestlers with one being sick that day, st Mary's has what seemed like a full team and without football would have matched up in all four classes

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:47 pm

Now that report cards are out we will probably see a few less wrestlers too.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:45 pm

coach_williams wrote:It is important for us to remember that the state in general is seeing a decline in population. The state loses around 4,000 residents per year. Assuming most of these people are families, that means somewhere around half of the decline in population is school age children. That is 2,000 less students in our schools every year. It is not just wrestling that is down. School band and choir is down, high school football teams that used to field 50 players are now scraping to get 40, some schools are having to scrap softball and wrestling programs simply because the lack of participation doesn't justify the expense.

With all of the consolidations and the re-classifications of schools, we are aware of the challenges. However, both of these schools have wrestling teams this season.

RCB is a school on the newer side and it began as a AAA school. Matter of fact, RCB is the 7th largest AA school. Many of the schools larger than RCB are the ones that just dropped to AA this season.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:54 pm

aacoach106 wrote:Sometimes you do the best with what you have. Why does it matter that it was a girl that beat a boy? Why not just say there was one match! Rcb has four wrestlers with one being sick that day, st Mary's has what seemed like a full team and without football would have matched up in all four classes

This match was a snapshot in time. Two schools were scheduled probably for 6 months to a year in advance. The end result was what was reported. 14 weight classes but only one wrestled match. Each school/community that wants to have a wrestling team should take nothing for granted.

I do not recall ever seeing a dual with scoring of this nature.

As for the girl winning, she obviously was better prepared.

I do applaud the wrestlers for both schools that are on the team.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:00 pm

I do not think BearH is being critical of the difficulties that coaches/schools experience in trying to field a team. RCB is not the only team giving up forfeits in abundance. The concern is for the future of wrestling and possible causes for such low turnouts in many areas across the state. Dwindling population as mentioned above could be one reason...but probably other factors as well.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:56 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:I do not think BearH is being critical of the difficulties that coaches/schools experience in trying to field a team. RCB is not the only team giving up forfeits in abundance. The concern is for the future of wrestling and possible causes for such low turnouts in many areas across the state. Dwindling population as mentioned above could be one reason...but probably other factors as well.

Correct. This particular dual is probably the worst case scenario any of us would read in the scores section.

The future of wrestling is the concern.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:58 pm

Wrestling is a demanding sport. We (our team) have seen several kids quit as a result of wrestle offs not going their way and no dedication toward weight loss this season. Hey, I tell my boy, do your best because it's a small group willing to do what he does. It sucks seeing lineups w a lot of holes but it should not dissuade those willing to work hard. Quite opposite, it should show these kids that a small percentage is willing to put in the work. I wanted to comment in the forfeit thread that I'd like to see an actual wrestling score followed by the official match score. Just to note what the actual competition yielded. As for numbers competing, I have no answer. Only try to promote the sport in schools by highlighting for instance MMA fighters and their origins to start. Cael Sanderson lost 2 matches in high school. I believe they were both to Yoel Romero who in now a big UFC fighter. Josh Stansbury of East Liverpool was on The Ultimate Fighter show in season 19 and 23 and has fought twice on the Ultimate Fight Night recently. Cody Garbrant,a Claymont Wrestler had built a great career(Dated Paige Van Zant) and will be fighting Dominick Cruz for the title next Friday. Kids follow the big football , basketball and baseball pros careers. It's just sad that in this sport the pro level is pre scripted and fake.

Return to “High School Wrestling”