Roane

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Roane

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Roane had 6 qualifiers due back from last season's phenomenal state runner up team.

However, only three of these six are on the mat thus far this season. Of the three missing wrestlers, two made it onto the podium.

WTF (Why The Forfeits)???????
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

aacoach70

Re: Roane

Postby aacoach70 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:44 pm

Six qualifiers were due back and 4 placewinners are wrestling now. Last year's heavyweight is no longer enrolled and last year's 195 did not come out this year. Among the 4 state placewinners now on the team, there is also a qualifier from 2 years ago. The cupboard isn't exactly empty as far as quality, but quantity is another matter. As for the forfeits, once all are settled into their respective classes, Roane will still have 3 unfilled spots. If anyone thinks they know how to get more wrestlers to try the sport and stick with it, I'm sure coaches would love to hear it.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:52 pm

...and Hugger,..STFU (Some Teams Forfeit Unfortunately). When you post comments suggesting teams having a full line-up have better programs or live in better communities, you lose credibility.

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:24 pm

With all due respect Bearhugger I do agree with coach. Roane has been a great program since its beginning. Quality community and wrestling program. It does seem hard even for the top programs to field a full team. I think a major problem is kids today don't want to put in the time and sacrifice necessary to be a wrestler. I do really enjoy your posts Hugger and live your enthusiasm for our great sport.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:29 pm

aacoach70 wrote:...and Hugger,..STFU (Some Teams Forfeit Unfortunately). When you post comments suggesting teams having a full line-up have better programs or live in better communities, you lose credibility.

Some communities just have substantially more malnourished kids from an early age and substantially more obese kids from years of horrible diets which leads to them having no problem finding wrestlers for the extreme lower and upper weights...:)

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:31 pm

aacoach70 wrote:...and Hugger,..STFU (Some Teams Forfeit Unfortunately). When you post comments suggesting teams having a full line-up have better programs or live in better communities, you lose credibility.

Where did he say any of that? All I see is him expressing concern that teams are losing wrestlers and not returning state qualifiers the following year.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:58 pm

aacoach70 wrote:Six qualifiers were due back and 4 placewinners are wrestling now. Last year's heavyweight is no longer enrolled and last year's 195 did not come out this year. Among the 4 state placewinners now on the team, there is also a qualifier from 2 years ago. The cupboard isn't exactly empty as far as quality, but quantity is another matter. As for the forfeits, once all are settled into their respective classes, Roane will still have 3 unfilled spots. If anyone thinks they know how to get more wrestlers to try the sport and stick with it, I'm sure coaches would love to hear it.

Roane showed the whole state what quality can do despite less quantity. I called that out weeks ago on another post. Good job.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Great acronym. I do not recall stating a team/community is better because they have all of their returning state qualifiers back or they have a full line up.

However, in these troubled times, it is always a good thing that a team has a full roster or forfeits few weight classes. It is also always a good thing when all of the state qualifiers are back on the mat.

I also like knowing why 2 to 3 wrestlers are not back on a given team. A family of brothers moving out of state is better news than learning some kid is in trouble.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:12 pm

All should go dig back a month ago. I predicted Roane to win region 2 AA/A.

I hoped to get info for their missing wrestlers and we got it.

No matter what I say (or anybody else for that matter), it can get interpreted multiple ways.

The bottom line, when a returning place winner is not wrestling, it is not a good thing.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:14 pm

coach_williams wrote:

Where did he say any of that? All I see is him expressing concern that teams are losing wrestlers and not returning state qualifiers the following year.

I didn't. Everybody better be concerned.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:16 pm

guard0544 wrote:

Some communities just have substantially more malnourished kids from an early age and substantially more obese kids from years of horrible diets which leads to them having no problem finding wrestlers for the extreme lower and upper weights...:)

I never thought about this.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:44 pm

The thread titled Keyser was the one that stuck out to me as being wrong, and that's not anything against Keyser, because they deserve to be complimented. You can read it and then tell us how you meant it. Sure, I realize the value of having 14 starters and a B and C team, but if you don't have it you don't have it. I just think you go too far if you make generalizations about the quality of a program or an entire community based on how many wrestlers they have on the mat this season. I think we want the same thing- more kids wrestling. Problem seems to be worse this year than ever, and some of us may be a little hypersensitive about it. Lol. Do you have constructive things to say that might help the situation in the state, or will you just continue calling teams out one by one? I'm not trying to be confrontational. I enjoy some of your posts. You certainly post often. I'll keep my mouth shut. Let's leave Roane out of it. Thanks.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:08 pm

aacoach70 wrote:The thread titled Keyser was the one that stuck out to me as being wrong, and that's not anything against Keyser, because they deserve to be complimented. You can read it and then tell us how you meant it. Sure, I realize the value of having 14 starters and a B and C team, but if you don't have it you don't have it. I just think you go too far if you make generalizations about the quality of a program or an entire community based on how many wrestlers they have on the mat this season. I think we want the same thing- more kids wrestling. Problem seems to be worse this year than ever, and some of us may be a little hypersensitive about it. Lol. Do you have constructive things to say that might help the situation in the state, or will you just continue calling teams out one by one? I'm not trying to be confrontational. I enjoy some of your posts. You certainly post often. I'll keep my mouth shut. Let's leave Roane out of it. Thanks.

1. I re-read the Keyser post. I meant exactly what I said. I recognized a given team that if fortunate enough to have all of their qualifiers back and to also fill up their squad. I have never ever read where anybody has even made such an acknowledgment of this nature in the past.

2. I mention teams to recognize the good start they are off to and/or to learn why certain wrestlers are not wrestling. A good way to "save" wrestling is to learn more about why the top kids are not on the mat. For example, there are many kids out due to knee injuries. How many wrestling coaches stress weight training???? How many coaches talk to their wrestlers about strength training for injury prevention purposes????? How many coaches set up an off season training program??? How many coaches make notes on where a kid is at the end of the season, save the notes and then show the kids their progress (regress) at the beginning of the next season?

3. I do indeed post often. I have made quite a few friends due to my posts. I have a few people who want to meet. It wasn't my intent, but good things come out of activity. If more people posted more, then the amount of posts I make would not seem quite as overwhelming.

4. No need to keep your mouth shut. I enjoy hearing about Roane along with everybody else.

5. Considering I have a record of recognizing the many good things Roane has done in the past year, nobody can talk about wrestling and leave Roane out of the discussion.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:55 pm

aacoach70 wrote:The thread titled Keyser was the one that stuck out to me as being wrong, and that's not anything against Keyser, because they deserve to be complimented. You can read it and then tell us how you meant it. Sure, I realize the value of having 14 starters and a B and C team, but if you don't have it you don't have it. I just think you go too far if you make generalizations about the quality of a program or an entire community based on how many wrestlers they have on the mat this season. I think we want the same thing- more kids wrestling. Problem seems to be worse this year than ever, and some of us may be a little hypersensitive about it. Lol. Do you have constructive things to say that might help the situation in the state, or will you just continue calling teams out one by one? I'm not trying to be confrontational. I enjoy some of your posts. You certainly post often. I'll keep my mouth shut. Let's leave Roane out of it. Thanks.

Just read the Keyser post.
I believe it was a positive post complimenting the whole program.
I believe the term hypersensitive as a description might apply.
Merry Christmas and let there be peace

Return to “High School Wrestling”