Wrestling helped make my son healthy again

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Geoswaff

Wrestling helped make my son healthy again

Postby Geoswaff » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:04 am

I thought i would share this story as i noticed many people are concerned about the state of wrestling in WV and I hope this story about my son will encourage everyone about how wrestling can make a difference.

I know very little about wrestling. Like every dad with a kid on the mat, I think I know a lot and I live through his victories and defeats. My son never stepped on a mat before his freshman year. I thought it was a goofy sport where kids looked rediculous in their singlets. He was 95 lbs and was recently diagnosed with severe Crohn's disease. He was out of school more than he was in it and sick more than healthy. He somehow played football as a freshman and was known as a kid who played with no regard for his own personal safety. He missed more games than he was able to play in, due to Crohns related surgeries, but soon became an inspiration and example to his team. A teammate convinced him to try wrestling when the football season ended and his journey began. He had 2 more surgeries during wrestling season and compiled a 10-17 record with 2 actual victories, the rest were forfeits. Watching my sick boy undersized with no muscle on his body go out and batlle with these kids changed my view of wrestling. I was more impressed with his defeats than his victories. The boy would spend half a match on his back but would somehow refuse to be pinned a lot of times. He was always tough, but I witnessed him change through his wrestling experiences. He somehow got tougher. His body transformed. He went from a sickly 95 lbs kid who could not bench 80 lbs to a 130 lbs muscle bound stud. He worked in the off season, went to camps, played football (starting Linebacker at 130 lbs for a 12-1 state semi finalist team) and changed his health to full remission of his disease. He is now a senior and has started strong at 12-1 with 11 pins. Wrestling played a big, if not the biggest, part in his recovery and for that I will always be grateful to this sport. My two younger boys (6 and 8) now wrestle and I look at it like an investment into their future (I also know enough about the sport now that I "coach" them without sounding too stupid). I firmly believe that wrestling makes boys into great young men. I know many are discouraged with the declining numbers of wrestlers in WV, and I too hope that changes, but hopefully the sports positive impact on the lives of those who do participate will spread and the sports true greatness will be recognized.

Bearhugger

Re: Wrestling helped make my son healthy again

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:24 pm

This is a great story and I am not surprised. Sports, weight training, activity, etc is probably the most overlooked, under utilized cures for many problems.

Good luck.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Yes, great story. He will reflect on his wrestling experience his whole life. It helped me in my academic life also. Hard work leads to some type of success. I never wrestled until my 10th grade year(3 year high schools eons ago). Never had a winning record. Played football, was decent, fell in love with wrestling. Nothing better than mano vs. mano. Was elected captain by my pears at certain points during my career. It still means the world to me. What he learns about himself is so important. Keep supporting him. Plus, I'd bet he's had a least one decent supportive coach along the way. Kudos to him too!!! These kids are our future leaders. Teach them well. Most people don't win 90% of their matches. They go on to be leaders in the community, coaches, business leaders. A lessons learned from hard work, being knocked done and getting back up. Thanks for sharing your son's story. It's an important one.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:05 am

What a great story!! I am so happy that he found something he loves and is clearly very successful at. Knowing his story will make watching him wrestle that much more exciting.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:21 am

Agree with the posters, this is a great story to help motivate anyone in any sport or just life in general. Thank you for sharing this special, personal event in your lives.
Moderator WV Mat

RegalBeagleBluto

Postby RegalBeagleBluto » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Brung a tear to my I
good luck to youre boy

EASwrestling

Postby EASwrestling » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:04 pm

Aewsome story, GOTTA LOVE IT! My son has "Exiercised Induced Asthma" according to his Pediatrician. He turns very very red faced and wheezes in his breathing when running or doing any thing that reqires much physical activity. He takes an inhaler before every practice to be able to practice. He wrestled on the youth team ages 8 & 9, but did not like it at all, and the results showed. He hardly won a match in two years. I didnt know if he could even handle the practices because of his Asthma, but I wanted him to try. It was very hard on him @ the beginning, but as the seasons progressed his breathing actually got better. The hard workouts seemed to make his Lungs stonger. Just the result for him that I was after. He gave up wrestling for a couple of years, because he just didnt like it, gained unneeded weight and the wheezing returned. I was ok with him quitting becuase the effort just wasnt there, and as a dad and ex wrestler it was hard for me to take. He went out for the Middle School team last year as a 7th grader, and is back at it again this year. He is improving tremendously. (but he could only get better). He still has to do his inhaler before every practice and on days of Competition, but he has lost his unneeded weight and his breathing is getting better all the time. He may someday completley grow out of it, but wrestling seems to be speeding up that process. I love the sport of wrestling, and believe that it is the best thing coming and going for young men and boys. I hope that he falls in love with it also, and that is also starting to happen. He is starting to see and feel the benefits and positives that the sport is giving to him. Not quite as good a story that was originally posted, but for sure another situation in which Wrestling is improving another kids health, both physically and mentally. GOTTA LOVE IT!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”