120 AAA by Region

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

120 AAA by Region

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:29 pm

120 will be one of the weakest weight classes in AAA.

Region 1: Zero forfeits. Seven wrestlers. One returning 4th placer. One returning 5th placer. Two returning qualifiers. In theory, these are your four state tournament qualifiers. In reality, we shall see. Show up, make weight, you have to wrestle. If you win, we shall see you in Huntington.

Region 2: FIVE forfeits. ONLY TWO WRESTLERS. Of the two wrestlers, ONE is a returning qualifier. Show up, make weight, we shall see you in Huntington. Wrestling is not required.

Region 3: FOUR FORFEITS. FOUR wrestlers. ZERO returning placers. ZERO returning qualifiers. Show up, make weight, we shall see you in Huntington. Wrestling is not required.

Region 4: ZERO forfeits. Seven wrestlers. Two returning 3rd placers. One returning 6th placer. One member of this gang is South's Roberts. Freshman and middle school WSAZ winner. In this region, you have to show up, make weight, wrestle and wrestle good. Top four go to Huntington. The other three stay home while defaults(byes) occur in the opening round in Huntington. These other three probably whipped the biscuit gravy out of many of the other kids from the other regions.

Team sport? For some. Individual sport? Always has been.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mscoach27

Re: 120 AAA by Region

Postby mscoach27 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:07 pm

I like these bear hugger. Keep up the good work. Makes reading the forums fun. FYI I prefer A/AA. ;)

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:24 pm

mscoach27 wrote:I like these bear hugger. Keep up the good work. Makes reading the forums fun. FYI I prefer A/AA. ;)

There was a time when I preferred only AAA. Looking back, I missed out on many great wrestlers. Now I watch everybody, everywhere.

hurrmat1

Postby hurrmat1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:56 pm

So there will be at least 2 open slots in this weight class for the State Tournament. So the 5th place finisher from regions 1 and 4 fill in, and now you have a full bracket.

I have read the State Tournament thread, and what I find sickening is all these excuses and maybe's, and what if's that are the alleged reason for not allowing 5th place kids to fill empty slots. As coaches don't we teach our wrestlers to not make excuses, to face adversity and overcome it? Yet, when that adversity faces us....like forfeits at a State Tournament, instead of making our eventual champ actually beat someone every step of the way....all we can come up with are some lame excuses and weak logic.

Just saying that may be a reason for participation decreasing. Kids hear grown ups say one thing, then do another. This is a fixable issue, and anything short of that is just an excuse, which is a weak response for the toughest sport. Sad!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:50 pm

hurrmat1 wrote:So there will be at least 2 open slots in this weight class for the State Tournament. So the 5th place finisher from regions 1 and 4 fill in, and now you have a full bracket.

I have read the State Tournament thread, and what I find sickening is all these excuses and maybe's, and what if's that are the alleged reason for not allowing 5th place kids to fill empty slots. As coaches don't we teach our wrestlers to not make excuses, to face adversity and overcome it? Yet, when that adversity faces us....like forfeits at a State Tournament, instead of making our eventual champ actually beat someone every step of the way....all we can come up with are some lame excuses and weak logic.

Just saying that may be a reason for participation decreasing. Kids hear grown ups say one thing, then do another. This is a fixable issue, and anything short of that is just an excuse, which is a weak response for the toughest sport. Sad!

You are spot on. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Up at the Powerade, the newspapers were filled with "Wrestler X'. He placed third in last season's Powerade. It talked about his off season weight training program, etc, etc. He was the real deal. Well, he got upset. I didn't see the match.

I did see a JV kid from Independence meet up with Wrestler X. At the end of the first period, Wrestler X was up 4-3 I believe. He ended up winning by pin. The point is Indy's kid went after Wrestler X and showed him no respect. We need kids like this on the mat.

I really hope the right oldtimers can be better than an old dog and learn some new tricks, thus make some changes. The situation with low participation is wiping out the sport slowly. For every school that drops wrestling, the likelihood of them picking it back up is low.

I am sure South and Indy will still be standing. I hope these teams can raise enough funds to travel out of state EVERY weekend for three months to get matches.

Frank

Postby Frank » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:45 pm

I hate to be rude or incentive, and maybe its the third beer talking, but, we need he state to quit funding planned parenthood programs and such, in our highschools and start funding althletics.

Frank

Postby Frank » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:47 pm

Frank wrote:I hate to be rude or incentive, and maybe its the third beer talking, but, we need he state to quit funding planned parenthood programs and such, in our highschools and start funding althletics.

This will probably hurt someones feelings

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:02 pm

Frank wrote:
Frank wrote:I hate to be rude or incentive, and maybe its the third beer talking, but, we need he state to quit funding planned parenthood programs and such, in our highschools and start funding althletics.

Athletics would be greatly improved by the decision makers funding with new ideas and new approaches to correcting current problems.

I recall back in 1986, I was in one weekend from college. I was over at a neighborhood pizza place getting a pizza. I saw three kids on the corner. I knew one of them. He was a senior in high school. He yelled over to me wanting me to buy them some beer. It was Friday night and I recalled him doing well the season before in football. I responded with a "why aren't you playing football tonight". He replied "grades". 30 some years later, I saw his picture on the south central regional jail's website. Kicking him off the football team obviously didn't help him any. It did give him and extra night to go out and drink beer.

PS: I didn't buy him any beer either.

Zacsdad

Postby Zacsdad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Hampshire will be adding a 120 lb'er for Region 2. He was just cleared today. So, make that three with no wrestling required! :lol:

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 am

Zacsdad wrote:Hampshire will be adding a 120 lb'er for Region 2. He was just cleared today. So, make that three with no wrestling required! :lol:

Is this one of your returning state qualifiers? You guys are missing a few.

Zacsdad

Postby Zacsdad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:56 am

Unfortunately, no. This would have been Sierra Powell's spot, but we are filling it with a first year freshman.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:05 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Frank wrote:

Athletics would be greatly improved by the decision makers funding with new ideas and new approaches to correcting current problems.

I recall back in 1986, I was in one weekend from college. I was over at a neighborhood pizza place getting a pizza. I saw three kids on the corner. I knew one of them. He was a senior in high school. He yelled over to me wanting me to buy them some beer. It was Friday night and I recalled him doing well the season before in football. I responded with a "why aren't you playing football tonight". He replied "grades". 30 some years later, I saw his picture on the south central regional jail's website. Kicking him off the football team obviously didn't help him any. It did give him and extra night to go out and drink beer.

I never thought exclusion because of grades was a good idea. Why reinforce a negative with a negative?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:37 am

P.H.D. wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
Frank wrote:This will probably hurt someones feelings

I never thought exclusion because of grades was a good idea. Why reinforce a negative with a negative?

I agree. My story clearly shows that this kid was not home studying on a Friday night.

Return to “High School Wrestling”