Forfeits in AAA

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Forfeits in AAA

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:44 pm

AAA has 29 teams.

There are 14 weight classes.

29 x 14 = 406 Varsity Wrestling Spots.

At the current count, there are 87 forfeits.

406 - 87 = 319 wrestlers

319 / 406 = 78.57% capacity

87 / 406 = 21.43% forfeit rate.

If your team is forfeiting 2 or less weight classes, you are above the group average.

Forfeiting 3 weight classes, you are at the average.

Forfeiting four or more, you are below average.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

maskedman

Re: Forfeits in AAA

Postby maskedman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Nobody will argue the fact that your stats are correct, or that it is unfortunate.

Furthermore, you can not argue that you are obsessed with the obvious and feel the need to throw it in the face of coaches that are doing the best they can, can't make kids do something they refuse to do.

I would ask you to think of the last time that you walked a hallway, led a team, went to practices day in and day out, taught, coached and mentored kids that were there.

Now ask yourself if all of your posts basically calling coaches that do these things failures is the best way to help out.

Yes, you have the right to state facts, but come on up, take the class, get your ass into a coaching role at one of the struggling programs and prove you have an answer.

If not, drop the every 5 minute post of the same exact issue.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:07 pm

maskedman wrote:Nobody will argue the fact that your stats are correct, or that it is unfortunate.

Furthermore, you can not argue that you are obsessed with the obvious and feel the need to throw it in the face of coaches that are doing the best they can, can't make kids do something they refuse to do.

I would ask you to think of the last time that you walked a hallway, led a team, went to practices day in and day out, taught, coached and mentored kids that were there.

Now ask yourself if all of your posts basically calling coaches that do these things failures is the best way to help out.

Yes, you have the right to state facts, but come on up, take the class, get your ass into a coaching role at one of the struggling programs and prove you have an answer.

If not, drop the every 5 minute post of the same exact issue.

I am not throwing anything into the face of any coach, nor have I called anybody a failure. Those are your words.

I have never seen where anybody has calculated a forfeit % on here.

I will state that if my posts make anybody dream up such interpretations, then quit reading.

Eersfan

Postby Eersfan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:41 am

I do not personally know bearhugger but I do enjoy and appreciate all of his posts on this forum. I haven't saw one post ridiculing a coach, parent, or kid from bearhugger. Keep up the good work.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:50 am

Eersfan wrote:I do not personally know bearhugger but I do enjoy and appreciate all of his posts on this forum. I haven't saw one post ridiculing a coach, parent, or kid from bearhugger. Keep up the good work.

agree

mscoach27

Postby mscoach27 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:14 am

Eersfan wrote:I do not personally know bearhugger but I do enjoy and appreciate all of his posts on this forum. I haven't saw one post ridiculing a coach, parent, or kid from bearhugger. Keep up the good work.

I agree

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:55 pm

Coaches invest a great deal of their lives in making their team the best they can be. They sacrafice. They battle with rules that stifle. They battle administrations and school cultures. Coaches deal with a myriad of issues such as tragedies, drugs, and broken homes. The good coaches give of themselves. They are proud of their kids, even in lean years. When wrestlers don't come back out, quit the team, or the team has forfeits due to low numbers, coaches often take that personally. A busy-body, while he may mean well, stirs that up. People on the outside of the issue may enjoy the incessant chatter, and even a busy-body has friends, but if you can't see how these posts are bothersome, then I guess you're not affected by any of it on a personal level. You can say posts are not calling out programs or coaches, and friends can back you up, but I ask you to put yourself in the position of struggling teams (mine is also in a downturn, but I wouldn't consider us as struggling). One point I'd like to make about these posts is: Teams A,B,C get the 3rd degree for not having a full team while at exactly the same moment posts for teams X,Y,Z are complimentary simply because they have more wrestlers. One post even went as far as to add that "WV needs more programs and communities like this". By itself, yes, a positive post. When alongside the other posts, not so much. Teams can only take what they have and move forward and that's what coaches must do. The goal of getting a state title is enough of an uphill climb as it is. We can't dwell on how dismal things may appear. I will be the first to admit there's always something more we can do- something more I can do to build a better system. Reading posts about statistics, percentages, that throw out terms like "community", "program", "below average", "a joke", etc., regarding various teams does not always come across as positive and I find it quite irritating, but it may just be me. Do I want someone to stop posting? No. Obviously Bearhugger cares about the sport and spends a great deal of his time educating himself about wrestling and what's going on around the state. I tend to agree with much of what he says, and I'm sure he's a solid guy, so don't stop advocating for our sport.

KennyFPowers

Postby KennyFPowers » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:06 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Out of the 29 AAA high schools, Only 7 have a full line up. Of those 7 schools, 5 are currently ranked in the top 10. Here is an overview of the current top 10 AAA schools, their population size, number of forfeits and their region.

1. South. Parkersburg South is ranked first. The school ranks 5th in terms of population size with 1,576 students. They forfeit zero weight classes and compete in region 4.
2. Parkersburg is #2. Third largest high school with 1,798 students. Forfeit 1 class and compete in region 4.
3. Huntington is #3. 4th largest with 1,658. Forfeit 1. Region 4.
4. Ripley ranks 4th. They are the smallest in terms of population with 933 students. They forfeit 2 weight classes and are in region 4. Despite 2 forfeits, they are ranked ahead of 6 schools with full line ups.
5. Wheeling Park is 5th. 8th in size with 1,514. Zero forfeits and competes in region 1.
6. Cabell Midland is ranked 6th. They are WV’s largest school with 1,965 students, zero forfeits and in region 4.
7. University is tied for 7th with St. Albans. University is the 12th largest school with 1,264. Zero forfeits and in region 1.
8. St. Albans has 1,012 students (26th largest). Forfeits 3 weight classes and is in region 3.
9. Greenbrier East is 9th. They have 1,171 students (19th). They have a full line up. Region 3.
10. Riverside rounds out the top 10. They have 1,207 students (16th). They forfeit two weight classes and compete in region 3.

As of now, there are no region 2 schools making the top 10. Five of the top six are from region 4.

I believe this is the kind of post aacoach70 is referring to. How about suggesting a solution instead of simply stating what anyone that follows WV wrestling is already aware of. I'm sure Coach Archer and Coach Way would be grateful for you to pull them to the side while up at PowerAde and provide some of your Gable-esque wisdom.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:14 pm

aacoach70 wrote:Coaches invest a great deal of their lives in making their team the best they can be. They sacrafice. They battle with rules that stifle. They battle administrations and school cultures. Coaches deal with a myriad of issues such as tragedies, drugs, and broken homes. The good coaches give of themselves. They are proud of their kids, even in lean years. When wrestlers don't come back out, quit the team, or the team has forfeits due to low numbers, coaches often take that personally. A busy-body, while he may mean well, stirs that up. People on the outside of the issue may enjoy the incessant chatter, and even a busy-body has friends, but if you can't see how these posts are bothersome, then I guess you're not affected by any of it on a personal level. You can say posts are not calling out programs or coaches, and friends can back you up, but I ask you to put yourself in the position of struggling teams (mine is also in a downturn, but I wouldn't consider us as struggling). One point I'd like to make about these posts is: Teams A,B,C get the 3rd degree for not having a full team while at exactly the same moment posts for teams X,Y,Z are complimentary simply because they have more wrestlers. One post even went as far as to add that "WV needs more programs and communities like this". By itself, yes, a positive post. When alongside the other posts, not so much. Teams can only take what they have and move forward and that's what coaches must do. The goal of getting a state title is enough of an uphill climb as it is. We can't dwell on how dismal things may appear. I will be the first to admit there's always something more we can do- something more I can do to build a better system. Reading posts about statistics, percentages, that throw out terms like "community", "program", "below average", "a joke", etc., regarding various teams does not always come across as positive and I find it quite irritating, but it may just be me. Do I want someone to stop posting? No. Obviously Bearhugger cares about the sport and spends a great deal of his time educating himself about wrestling and what's going on around the state. I tend to agree with much of what he says, and I'm sure he's a solid guy, so don't stop advocating for our sport.

My intent is not to create an adversarial dialogue back and forth with you or anybody else.

1. For those who have taken some of my posts personal and in a negative manner, that was not the intent. If you are a coach or a parent of a wrestler, read a little less and focus down into the nitty gritty of improving a single wrestler. What I have learned is a teacher cannot stand in front of a class room, preach math to 20 kids and then expect all 20 to go read the book, do their homework and then make an A in the class. The same can be said when a manager preaches to a shop floor of 100 employees and tells them productivity has to go up. Logically speaking, wrestling is no different. I see wrestlers every year that need to fix one thing and if they did, they would win 3-5 more matches. I have watched wrestlers lose to the same kid, multiple times a season, for two seasons straight, by the same technique or situation. I know wrestlers right now that would be better improved if they did squats three days a week and drilled their stand up one hour a day as opposed to doing anything else in practice.

2. Anybody that knows me I doubt would call me a busy body. I have hauled exercise equipment over the past so many seasons to different houses so kids have some stuff at home to use to give themselves an extra boost. Whether they use it to improve their conditioning or hang their laundry on it is the difference between winners and strugglers. I LOAN the stuff so I can get it back and LOAN it out again.

3. "A few good men". Over 30 years ago, I recall hearing coaches say "I would rather have a few good wrestlers who want to work as opposed to having a room full of kids who didn't" Guess what, that is what everybody has now. A few good men(and girls). Forget about winning duals and team titles. With participation as low as it is, take your few good men and go advance them as high up the polls, up the podium, etc, etc as you can get them. I think a good indicator of achievement is avenging early season losses. Wrestler A loses to wrestler B in December. By February, wrestler B is beating wrestler A. This is a better sign of good coaching and a wrestler's hard work. NOW YOU HAVE GIVEN ME ANOTHER STAT TO TRACK AND POST ABOUT. THANKS.

4. Your logic is that a compliment given to a specific school is also an insult to another school. No it is not. Using that same logic is like saying "Wrestler A has been named the Dutton Award Winner for 2016/2017". "Oh....by the way, the rest of the wrestlers are not any good because they didn't win the Dutton Award".

5. Forfeit %. One way for a coach to use the numbers in a constructive manner would be to share with the team what the current forfeit % is throughout the state. If their team is below average, then they have a solid reason to justify why they might not be winning duals or winning tournaments. But forfeiting 106 is not going to keep a 220 pounder from winning an individual state title. Here is a good example. St. Albans forfeits 3 weight classes. This puts them at the average of 21%. This isn't going to stop Josh Humphreys from winning a third state title. It hasn't stopped freshman Caleb Haynes from taking the current returning state champion to a 2-0 match. It isn't going to stop Powerade #8 seeded 106 pounder Holt from doing what he has to do in a few days. I am sure by the time the season ends, St. Albans will take their less than full squad and have a few kids in the finals and a few more on the podium. There will be many schools like this.

6. Schools and communities. I can wrap this up in one word. "Hoover". Hoover's community got wiped out in a flood. Hoover's school got wiped out in a flood. Hoover's wrestling room got wiped out in a flood. Hoover's singlets probably got washed down the Elk River and are probably somewhere in the Mississippi. By God they had a football team that went to the playoffs and they have a wrestling team now. They have state champion contenders and they should place many kids on the podium.

Now, I am heading to Walmart to buy water, Powerade and apples for the team I follow. I am not the team's coach. I am not the wrestlers' daddy or their mommy. But, I am bringing them stuff for a two day tournament. I am going to tell each one of them to fill their back pack with drinks and they need to drink 12 to 24 oz after each match.

I am also heading to Wheeling in the am to watch a bunch of strangers. By the time the next three days are over, I'll have enough stuff to talk about on here.......................some of you might need to have the Internet just taken out of your house.

Good luck.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:46 pm

KennyFPowers wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:Out of the 29 AAA high schools, Only 7 have a full line up. Of those 7 schools, 5 are currently ranked in the top 10. Here is an overview of the current top 10 AAA schools, their population size, number of forfeits and their region.

1. South. Parkersburg South is ranked first. The school ranks 5th in terms of population size with 1,576 students. They forfeit zero weight classes and compete in region 4.
2. Parkersburg is #2. Third largest high school with 1,798 students. Forfeit 1 class and compete in region 4.
3. Huntington is #3. 4th largest with 1,658. Forfeit 1. Region 4.
4. Ripley ranks 4th. They are the smallest in terms of population with 933 students. They forfeit 2 weight classes and are in region 4. Despite 2 forfeits, they are ranked ahead of 6 schools with full line ups.
5. Wheeling Park is 5th. 8th in size with 1,514. Zero forfeits and competes in region 1.
6. Cabell Midland is ranked 6th. They are WV’s largest school with 1,965 students, zero forfeits and in region 4.
7. University is tied for 7th with St. Albans. University is the 12th largest school with 1,264. Zero forfeits and in region 1.
8. St. Albans has 1,012 students (26th largest). Forfeits 3 weight classes and is in region 3.
9. Greenbrier East is 9th. They have 1,171 students (19th). They have a full line up. Region 3.
10. Riverside rounds out the top 10. They have 1,207 students (16th). They forfeit two weight classes and compete in region 3.

As of now, there are no region 2 schools making the top 10. Five of the top six are from region 4.

I believe this is the kind of post aacoach70 is referring to. How about suggesting a solution instead of simply stating what anyone that follows WV wrestling is already aware of. I'm sure Coach Archer and Coach Way would be grateful for you to pull them to the side while up at PowerAde and provide some of your Gable-esque wisdom.

1. We had nine schools drop down to AA from AAA. This resulted in a disastrous restructuring of the regions. This has HURT wrestling and it will continue to hurt wrestling until something is done.

2. We don't have full teams, but everybody is still caught up in this "team" mindset. When a coach or parent takes a group of kids to the NHSCA, Flonats or Super 32, they do not take a team. They take a group of kids. They want all of the kids to win, do well, place and maybe win it all. Sometimes these kids are in the SAME weight class. However, allowing JV to wrestle in the regions is taboo. Some coach might manipulate the outcome and score a few points and place his team 5th instead of 6th. I just heard today from a total stranger that allegedly a kid won his wrestle off. However, his coach is having him wrestle UP a weight to help the TEAM. The kid wanted to quit. Maybe this is the kind of stuff that is contributing to a forfeit rate of 21% across the states largest schools.

We need a wild card system to at least give a top 5th place regional placer an opportunity to wrestle in the states to either cover a bye or to compensate for the out of balance strength and weakness of the regions.

We need to allow B teams to wrestle in the region. If they qualify, send them to the state tournament. Many kids quit wrestling because they cannot beat out the multi-time state champion on their TEAM. If given the chance, this B teamer might place in the state tournament.

For decades, "people" thought Coal was going to keep WV up and running.

For decades, people think that wrestling has to be one wrestler per weight class per school.

The lack of coal activity has made many folks move away. They are taking their wrestlers with them.

When a kid is behind two state champions, why should he stick with the sport???? I know of a kid right now that is behind two multi state champions. I bet he would place min the state tournament if he could be given a chance. I HAVE A SOLUTION. Let this B teamer wrestle in the region. Based on what I see, the regions need more wrestlers anyway. If the kid knows he has a shot at going to the states, despite being a B teamer, he might stick around. If he sticks around, he will be back next season to help the TEAM.

All this TEAM, TEAM, TEAM crap might be part of why the individuals do not want to wrestle anymore. No individuals, no team.

In conclusion, quit dreaming up meanings to my posts. Political correctness is ruining some folks and it might be rubbing off on the TEAM.

As for Coach Archer and Coach Way, their teams are the least of our concerns. Their forfeit % is well above average. However, Coach Archer usually has a few B teamers each season that could place min the state tournament. I provided a solution for that above.

Almost all other sports play their B teamers and even alternate players on plays.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Thank you bearhugger. I've been advocating JV in the regionals for a long time. I've mentioned this in several posts over the years. Mostly no one agreed so I dropped it. Point wise many things could occur to be fair. Only one wrestler per school could score points. Maybe JV points would only count if varsity wrestler was eliminated in first round. Anyway if a JV kid earns a state spot, he or she should go!!! Thanks again. On this issue, I'm totally with ya. Kids who stay out for the team work way too hard not to a least have a shot at the big dance.
Last edited by dunbar76 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mscoach27

Postby mscoach27 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:26 pm

dunbar76 wrote:Thank you bearhugger. I've been advocating JV in the regionals for a long time. I've mentioned this in several posts over the years. Mostly no one agreed so I dropped it. Point wise many things cold occur to be fair. Only one wrestler per school could score points. Maybe JV points would only count if varsity wrestler was eliminated in first round. Anyway if a JV kid earns a state spot, he or she should go!!! Thanks again. On this issue, I'm totally with ya. Kids who stay out for the team work way too hard not to a least have a shot at the big dance.

The state of Washington allows b teamers to participate in regional. They score no points and they qualify by winning a "last chance qualifier" tournament held the week before regionals. One jv kid per weight class per region. I see no downfall to this.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:35 pm

dunbar76 wrote:Thank you bearhugger. I've been advocating JV in the regionals for a long time. I've mentioned this in several posts over the years. Mostly no one agreed so I dropped it. Point wise many things could occur to be fair. Only one wrestler per school could score points. Maybe JV points would only count if varsity wrestler was eliminated in first round. Anyway if a JV kid earns a state spot, he or she should go!!! Thanks again. On this issue, I'm totally with ya. Kids who stay out for the team work way too hard not to a least have a shot at the big dance.

How many runners can a high school have in the 100 meters? Two or three?

As for team points, the JV wrestlers kids would NOT add in with the Varsity. The JV squad could/would/should be tracked as a separate team score.

No combining of A and B wrestlers' team points for any reason. This is what detractors of the idea would not like.

My position is strictly concerning top notch wrestlers being JV because they are on the same team and the same size as a state champion.

If Parkersburg South wins the team title and their B team wins second, then so what????????????? I don't even remember who was runner up in AAA last season. I would guess Huntington.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:37 pm

mscoach27 wrote:
dunbar76 wrote:Thank you bearhugger. I've been advocating JV in the regionals for a long time. I've mentioned this in several posts over the years. Mostly no one agreed so I dropped it. Point wise many things cold occur to be fair. Only one wrestler per school could score points. Maybe JV points would only count if varsity wrestler was eliminated in first round. Anyway if a JV kid earns a state spot, he or she should go!!! Thanks again. On this issue, I'm totally with ya. Kids who stay out for the team work way too hard not to a least have a shot at the big dance.

The state of Washington allows b teamers to participate in regional. They score no points and they qualify by winning a "last chance qualifier" tournament held the week before regionals. One jv kid per weight class per region. I see no downfall to this.

So West Virginia has lost its chance to be first? I guess since another state is doing it, we can consider it now.

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:55 pm

I AGREE WITH MASKEDMAN 150%. THIS FORUM WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT BEARHUGGER ON I :evil: T !

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:20 pm

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:I AGREE WITH MASKEDMAN 150%. THIS FORUM WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT BEARHUGGER ON I :evil: T !

I am sure when I cross the line with people who matter, I will lose access to the site.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:22 pm

Is it Bear season?

Bearhugger has a lot to add to the forum and makes for some interesting discussion. I know for a fact that he cares for the wrestlers in WV. Much like the rest of us.

I don't agree with many who post on here, but that's why we are all different. Lots of people don't care for my post and that's okay.

I've seen many times when this forum goes dead and Bearhugger brings up something that gets things going again.

Heck, when he first started posting, he and I went at it. Now him and Frank are going to buy my dinner. I'm still in shock! :o
Moderator WV Mat

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:25 pm

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:I AGREE WITH MASKEDMAN 150%. THIS FORUM WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT BEARHUGGER ON I :evil: T !

but MaskedMan doesn't agree with you.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Gator wrote:Is it Bear season?

Bearhugger has a lot to add to the forum and makes for some interesting discussion. I know for a fact that he cares for the wrestlers in WV. Much like the rest of us.

I don't agree with many who post on here, but that's why we are all different. Lots of people don't care for my post and that's okay.

I've seen many times when this forum goes dead and Bearhugger brings up something that gets things going again.

Heck, when he first started posting, he and I went at it. Now him and Frank are going to buy my dinner. I'm still in shock! :o

Gator, invite TSFIP to join us. He can pick up the bill.

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:52 am

Frank wrote:

but MaskedMan doesn't agree with you.

MaskedMan does not agree that Bearhugger should be removed, nor does he have any say so anyways. The only thing that is being stated is that beating the dead horse is getting old. I personally agree with the issues being brought up, agree with many of his ideas, do believe that a change needs to be looked at.

But also believe that the point has been made, his opinion has been acknowledged, it will need to be addressed soon, but continuing to post the same thing over and over and over and over is bordering on insanity.

An old saying that perception is reality goes along way. If the same posts are starting to be perceived as ridiculing comments towards coaches or certain teams, then the posts are ridiculing coaches and certain teams. May not be the intent, but is definitely the outcome.

This maskedman is just stating, get in the fight and do something about it, join a team, go through the struggle, have a voice from inside the trenches instead of the constant arm chair quarterbacking with the same post in different words. It is easy from the sidelines to say how much of a change you can make, alot harder when you are trying every option to keep a kid out that does not have the passion anymore, or trying to recruit the hallways and today's kids do not have the drive or desire that you think they should have.

Yes bearhugger, I said I agree with you on many of the things you said, you just don't have to say it 1 million times to the point that it becomes the overtaking of the forum and a negative place to read about the sport we all love. Let's get back to some of the good stories, information, and match-up promotions that you used to be known for before you became the negative Nelly of the WV Mat Forum.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:08 pm

1975(wow, eons ago) I wrestled behind an undefeated wrestler. Luckily, during the season, he sprained his ankle. I got in enough varsity wins to earn a letter. He recovered and went to the state tournament as an undefeated wrestler. A couple of the guys in our regions I had defeated while he was hurt. I would have loved an opportunity to make the big dance. I never made one. Only 1-2 went way back then.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Most coaches will never agree to let JV wrestlers qualify for the state tournament because most teams have a problem filling weights for a varsity team.

I don't see a problem if they don't allow their points to be added for the team race. Every kid who comes to practice, sticks with it and pushes the varsity wrestlers, deserves a chance to compete at the top level. If that kid is better than a wrestler in another region, then they have earned his or her spot.

We need more encouragement to keep wrestlers on the mat, not put up roadblocks to discourage participation.
Moderator WV Mat

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:20 pm

Just my .02 - We run 64 man brackets in both middle and high school at the WSAZ in the same building. We do this in two days and the state tournament is three days. It would seem to this old coach that a 32 man follow the leader bracket with all schools entering would be possible. You could still have regionals for the revenue and seeding purposes. See the top 16 as we do now and then just throw the rest in at random like at WSAZ. Chances are most of the 32 man bracket matches would go pretty quickly anyway. More wrestlers and teams equals more spectators equals more revenue. Makes sense to me!
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:28 pm

dunbar76 wrote:Thank you bearhugger. I've been advocating JV in the regionals for a long time. I've mentioned this in several posts over the years. Mostly no one agreed so I dropped it. Point wise many things could occur to be fair. Only one wrestler per school could score points. Maybe JV points would only count if varsity wrestler was eliminated in first round. Anyway if a JV kid earns a state spot, he or she should go!!! Thanks again. On this issue, I'm totally with ya. Kids who stay out for the team work way too hard not to a least have a shot at the big dance.

Indy has a JR wrestler who is still alive at the powerade. I guest when you are stuck behind Jacob Hart and Noah Adams.......you got to make the most of all opportunities.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

Indy has a JR wrestler who is still alive at the powerade. I guest when you are stuck behind Jacob Hart and Noah Adams.......you got to make the most of all opportunities.

J V

TrueSouthFanInInwood

Postby TrueSouthFanInInwood » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:53 pm

So one of the problems that can arise from having a JV kid be allowed to enter regionals (though unlikely), is what if you have a kid at 126 that is favored to win states. The kid behind him, the JV guy, barely loses to him. The kid the team has at 132 is new, and is not winning many matches, the JV 126 could easily go up to beat him but 132 is loaded in the region and state, so he'd rather try against his teammate. So now, you have potential teammates wrestling in the state finals, and a weakened state of tournament scoring. Scenarios like this helps nobody.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:43 pm

TrueSouthFanInInwood wrote:So one of the problems that can arise from having a JV kid be allowed to enter regionals (though unlikely), is what if you have a kid at 126 that is favored to win states. The kid behind him, the JV guy, barely loses to him. The kid the team has at 132 is new, and is not winning many matches, the JV 126 could easily go up to beat him but 132 is loaded in the region and state, so he'd rather try against his teammate. So now, you have potential teammates wrestling in the state finals, and a weakened state of tournament scoring. Scenarios like this helps nobody.

I'd like to think the 126jv would have wrestled for that varsity position right after losing the 126 wrestleoff. Or did the 126 that lost the wrestleoff run out of the room mad and miss his chance? Or did he never practice w the 132 kid and not know he was better? What does the 132 kids mom look like? I need details...lol sorry I don't see this happening.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:50 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

J V

Bearhugger, How would the numbers work out if AAA went to 3 regions and took the top 5 plus one at-large invitation? Would there still be forfeits? Maybe they could realign the regions like this:
Region 1 - 9 teams
Brooke
Buckhannon-Upshur
Capital
John Marshall
Wheeling Park
Parkersburg High
Parkersburg South
Ripley
George Washington

Region 2 - 10 teams
Hampshire
Hedgesville
Jefferson
Martinsburg
Musselman
Spring Mills
Washington
Morgantown
Preston
University

Region 3 - 10 teams
Cabell Midland
Greenbrier East
Huntington High
Hurricane
Princeton
Riverside
South Charleston
Spring Valley
St Albans
Woodrow Wilson

Thanks - Brent

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:19 pm

I suggest a 448 man over the top rope battle royal...one champion! :twisted:
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:18 pm

Gator wrote:Most coaches will never agree to let JV wrestlers qualify for the state tournament because most teams have a problem filling weights for a varsity team.

I don't see a problem if they don't allow their points to be added for the team race. Every kid who comes to practice, sticks with it and pushes the varsity wrestlers, deserves a chance to compete at the top level. If that kid is better than a wrestler in another region, then they have earned his or her spot.

We need more encouragement to keep wrestlers on the mat, not put up roadblocks to discourage participation.

Whereas I am the one that has been "beating this dead horse", here is my thoughts from day one:

1. The sole purpose of JV entering the regional is to be given the chance to wrestle, qualify for the state tournament, go to the state tournament, wrestle, and try to place.

2. Team points should not be combined in any manner.

3. As for other wrestlers from other teams, if you are the best, then you should have to beat the best.

4. "Participation trophies" have come up lately. If a given team has the two best 106 pounders in the state, but one has to stay home, then the other three wrestlers in his region made it into the state tournament without beating the best.

This horse will be beat until it becomes a reality.

I watched a solid JV kid, full of heart, full of fight, good technique wrestle and gain the respect of many this weekend at the Powerade. He is currently behind Jacob Hart and Noah Adams (two terrible people to be behind if you want to make Varsity).

Return to “High School Wrestling”