State tournament solution for AAA

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach92

State tournament solution for AAA

Postby aaacoach92 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:42 pm

There are 29 schools. So the states should be a 32 man bracket and place top 8. Everyone goes. You still have regionals and you seed the top 8 wrestlers or more. Two championship rounds and one consi round Thursday evening, Friday is the same, wrestle till the only ones left are placers.

A lot of good wrestlers are going to be staying home while kids are getting bye's at the state tournament... it's a shame.

Bigger crowd and make more money.... just my thought on the issue.

mike.carman

Re: State tournament solution for AAA

Postby mike.carman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:39 pm

Here is a better solution. Forget A/AA/AAA have 1 state champion. That would make 1 regional tournament for 24 teams and would make it a 2 day tournament.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:48 pm

mike.carman wrote:Here is a better solution. Forget A/AA/AAA have 1 state champion. That would make 1 regional tournament for 24 teams and would make it a 2 day tournament.

That sounds great but it would never get approved because of all of the lost revenue. Motels, Restaraunts & the WVSSAC would all lose $ ,,,,

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:38 pm

why cant it still be separated into a Big School and Small School title?

Big School: Take AAA and top so many AA schools (use enrollment).

Small School: Take bottom half of AA and Single A (again using enrollment).

Basically the same set up we always had.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:29 pm

mscoach4 wrote:
mike.carman wrote:Here is a better solution. Forget A/AA/AAA have 1 state champion. That would make 1 regional tournament for 24 teams and would make it a 2 day tournament.

That sounds great but it would never get approved because of all of the lost revenue. Motels, Restaraunts & the WVSSAC would all lose $ ,,,,

Okay, put all the divisions together and go to 8 regions, 12 teams per region, and 32 man brackets at the state tournament. Now no revenue is lost and you have a bigger, more competitive 3 day state tournament.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:41 am

for the life of me...I cant figure out why anyone would want a 1 bracket state tournament.

what is wrong with allowing small school/small town teams having a little bit of athletic success in this state?

aaacoach92

Postby aaacoach92 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:19 am

mscoach64 wrote:for the life of me...I cant figure out why anyone would want a 1 bracket state tournament.

what is wrong with allowing small school/small town teams having a little bit of athletic success in this state?

There is nothing wrong with small schools/towns having success, but not everyone gets to place. If you're not good enough to place, well then I suggest you work a little harder in the off season...

A one division state tourney would not be good for WV. We struggle with the turnout already. Have to keep them separated to keep kids hopeful that they can place. a lot of them are mentally weak and will just quit.

I have never witnessed a lack of work ethic or a desire to be great more than the kids I've watched in the past 5 years... you get a handful of kids every year that work hard and actually care, but most are just going through the motions.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:10 am

aaacoach92 wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:for the life of me...I cant figure out why anyone would want a 1 bracket state tournament.

There is nothing wrong with small schools/towns having success, but not everyone gets to place. If you're not good enough to place, well then I suggest you work a little harder in the off season...

A one division state tourney would not be good for WV. We struggle with the turnout already. Have to keep them separated to keep kids hopeful that they can place. a lot of them are mentally weak and will just quit.

I have never witnessed a lack of work ethic or a desire to be great more than the kids I've watched in the past 5 years... you get a handful of kids every year that work hard and actually care, but most are just going through the motions.
so your response to small schools/towns having success is working harder? Calhoun has worked pretty hard over the years I'd imagine. But, you think they can ever work hard enough to be able to win very many titles over Parkersburg, Parkersburg South, Huntington, etc?

aaacoach33

Postby aaacoach33 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:51 am

mscoach4 wrote:

Have an all class state tournament and each class can have a team champion and runner up like the OVAC does it. Add a sectional before regionals so the WVSSAC can get their money.
In the end we win

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:11 pm

Why is it that everytime someone has a "solution" for the AAA it involves lumping small AA/A schools in with big AAA schools? Why is it so hard for people to grasp the concept that the schools are divided to give the smaller schools a chance to compete? The division is not about individual wrestlers, it is about team competition.

So for all of you who want to handicap AA/A for the benefit of AAA, here is my solution. We dump all teams into one pool like you want, however, team scoring is modified. Any school with 1000 or more students starts team scoring at 0. Every team with less than 1000 students gets 15 bonus team points for every 100 students less than 1000. So a school with 570 students would begin team scoring at 60 points.

This would allow teams like Fayetteville, Buffalo and Richwood, who struggle to have more than 6 or 8 on their team to be able to compete for a team state championship with schools like South and Huntington who send more wrestlers to states than these small schools even have on their team.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:00 pm

Lots of states do it. The OVAEC does it. You crown a AAA champ, AA champ, and A champ team.
Indy would probably win an all class state tournament anyways.
It kills me when people who are scared of stiff competition say stuff LIKE, "but the poor kids from little schools won't be able to compete." Lol
Yeah, Adams wouldn't stand a chance in an all class tournament. Not.
You want to know what an all class state tournament would do? Create stiffer competition that would draw more college scouts, get kids scholarships, and give the tournament more prestige.
Revenue? One 32 man bracket would draw just as much revenue as two 16 man brackets. 16×2=32
It's 32 kids bringing their supporters to the show, regardless.
sentenceseller

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:41 pm

greencrush wrote:Lots of states do it. The OVAEC does it. You crown a AAA champ, AA champ, and A champ team.
It kills me when people who are scared of stiff competition say stuff LIKE, "but the poor kids from little schools won't be able to compete." Lol
You want to know what an all class state tournament would do? Create stiffer competition that would draw more college scouts, get kids scholarships, and give the tournament more prestige.
Revenue? One 32 man bracket would draw just as much revenue as two 16 man brackets. 16×2=32
so, you are going to base your general statement and point to Noah Adams as an example of smaller schools winning against bigger schools? Yeah, the Adams example is real good. That's like saying Randy Moss is an example that small AAA schools could compete with the larger AAA schools.

I mean heck...lets just lump basketball into 1 big bracket or football. Just 1 title for all sports.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:47 pm

If you don't think small schools can compete with large schools in wrestling you need to go watch the OVAC's. You will earn two things.
1. No one runs a better tournament and truly show cases the kids like that tournament.
2. Champions come from just as many small schools as large ones.

Then as has been stated you brake the teams championships out by class by points scored. They have been doing it way for a long time and it works.
As my coach taught me, no matter what " the cream will rise to the top." Be thankful our sport showcase that.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:46 pm

mscoach64 wrote:
greencrush wrote:Lots of states do it. The OVAEC does it. You crown a AAA champ, AA champ, and A champ team.
so, you are going to base your general statement and point to Noah Adams as an example of smaller schools winning against bigger schools? Yeah, the Adams example is real good. That's like saying Randy Moss is an example that small AAA schools could compete with the larger AAA schools.

I mean heck...lets just lump basketball into 1 big bracket or football. Just 1 title for all sports.

No, I'm going to base my general statement on the fact the tournament all over the country do it. CA state tournament does it. CA has a heck of a lot more kids wrestling at the college level than WV does, and much bigger schools. I wrote a long statement on the benefits of an all class tournament, and your best rebuttal is to nitpick at one example I provided, of a AA wrestler who could dominate an all class tournament?
Y'all are sitting here babbling about how AA is so much tougher than AAA, and then when someone suggests an all class tournament, you want to say that it wouldn't be fair to the AA kids. :lol: That make no sense.
sentenceseller

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:09 pm

greencrush wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:

No, I'm going to base my general statement on the fact the tournament all over the country do it. CA state tournament does it. CA has a heck of a lot more kids wrestling at the college level than WV does, and much bigger schools. I wrote a long statement on the benefits of an all class tournament, and your best rebuttal is to nitpick at one example I provided, of a AA wrestler who could dominate an all class tournament?
Y'all are sitting here babbling about how AA is so much tougher than AAA, and then when someone suggests an all class tournament, you want to say that it wouldn't be fair to the AA kids. :lol: That make no sense.
you must be talking to someone else. ive never once in my life said that AA was better or tougher than AAA. never once. And, before you get offended.....remember you speak with such condescending statements of "scared of stiff competition" and "poor kids from little schools" and "noah adams couldn't stand a chance...not" Then, you are gonna throw out nonsense and statements that no one said. Here's the point....when you (which it seems you are) are a AAA school supporter then its easier for you to talk about stiffer competition being needed. But, when you have a school that struggles to put 8-9 kids on the whole team it doesn't quite seem that stiffer competition is the most desired thing. Those schools are the ones who are hoping for the once in a lifetime athlete or group of athletes. I'll be honest with you...I don't give 2 cents about revenue being made. But, when AAA has 29 total schools and AA and A have the other 80-90, then there is a problem. If that makes no sense to you, then we'll just agree to disagree.

aaacoach4

Postby aaacoach4 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:24 pm

So, aaacoach92 had a good idea for all of the AAA schools that makes some sense and then some others decide to hijack the topic for their own benefit. If there are 29 AAA schools, then make a 32 man bracket. Leave everyone else out of it, I don't care how smart California or Ohio are there are a lot of unenlightened States who have tournaments according to school size. However, if all of the other sports like football, basketball, baseball, track, and soccer go to one state tournament, then I will definitely support one grand tournament for wrestling.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:35 pm

aaacoach4 wrote:So, aaacoach92 had a good idea for all of the AAA schools that makes some sense and then some others decide to hijack the topic for their own benefit. If there are 29 AAA schools, then make a 32 man bracket. Leave everyone else out of it, I don't care how smart California or Ohio are there are a lot of unenlightened States who have tournaments according to school size. However, if all of the other sports like football, basketball, baseball, track, and soccer go to one state tournament, then I will definitely support one grand tournament for wrestling.

Ah, of course. No one else was meant to comment or offer an opinion.
Silly of everyone to "hijack" the topic for "their own benefit". I know that I personally took a large profit from the hijacking of this thread. I'm sure everyone else who commented with anything other than praise for his idea also benefited greatly.
Also, looking at how other states successfully run very competitive and prestigious tournaments is SO silly. I can't believe anyone would suggest doing what others have proven to work. We should definitely leave any sort of examples, which prove the validity of our ideas, OUT of the discussion
sentenceseller

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:02 pm

coach_williams wrote:Why is it that everytime someone has a "solution" for the AAA it involves lumping small AA/A schools in with big AAA schools? Why is it so hard for people to grasp the concept that the schools are divided to give the smaller schools a chance to compete? The division is not about individual wrestlers, it is about team competition.

So for all of you who want to handicap AA/A for the benefit of AAA, here is my solution. We dump all teams into one pool like you want, however, team scoring is modified. Any school with 1000 or more students starts team scoring at 0. Every team with less than 1000 students gets 15 bonus team points for every 100 students less than 1000. So a school with 570 students would begin team scoring at 60 points.

This would allow teams like Fayetteville, Buffalo and Richwood, who struggle to have more than 6 or 8 on their team to be able to compete for a team state championship with schools like South and Huntington who send more wrestlers to states than these small schools even have on their team.

I agree. Solving AAA's currently issues should not involve AA or A schools.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:55 pm

WV needs to divide into two divisions. Split the schools down the middle based on enrollment. Just because you are in AA in football, doesn't mean you have to be AA in wrestling. Most states, including Ohio work this way. For instance Steubenville, OH is division 4 in football and D2 in wrestling. There are 3 divisions for wrestling, but 6 or 7 in football. It is a numbers game. In Ohio there are more teams represented at each district than at our state tournament. I am pretty sure in arch Division there are about 240 school. If we did it that way the big school division would be very competitive, as would small school. This would be a simple solution and easy to institute without many changes in overall structure.

highleghillary

Postby highleghillary » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:24 pm

If you live in wv, then there is no such thing as small or big schools. Everything here is small, especially with several of today's competing schools in AA originating as AAA schools at one point. I have no problem with one big tournament. If anybody doesn't like that, then tell it to somebody in california

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:13 pm

highleghillary wrote:If you live in wv, then there is no such thing as small or big schools. Everything here is small, especially with several of today's competing schools in AA originating as AAA schools at one point. I have no problem with one big tournament. If anybody doesn't like that, then tell it to somebody in california
if thats what California does, then they are doing it wrong unless wrestling in California is what HS swimming is here in WV.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:43 pm

I guess we could try this...
(smile)

http://wvmat.com/april/april10.htm
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Yay! Everyone gets a trophy!

leglampaward.gif
leglampaward.gif (20.24 KiB) Viewed 8231 times
Moderator WV Mat

rodrego

Postby rodrego » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Unite the state tournament. It is divided, one half aa the other aaa, both on their own planets, not caring about the other. Place the top 8. 3 team trophys. I don't care what swimming or basketball does. It makes sense.

highleghillary

Postby highleghillary » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Gator wrote:Yay! Everyone gets a trophy!

leglampaward.gif

gator, you mind if I take that off your hands? Thats a good looking lamp!

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:25 pm

highleghillary wrote:
Gator wrote:Yay! Everyone gets a trophy!

leglampaward.gif

gator, you mind if I take that off your hands? Thats a good looking lamp!

My wife broke it! :evil:
Moderator WV Mat

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:17 pm

highleghillary wrote:If you live in wv, then there is no such thing as small or big schools. Everything here is small, especially with several of today's competing schools in AA originating as AAA schools at one point. I have no problem with one big tournament. If anybody doesn't like that, then tell it to somebody in california

There is a considerable difference between our bigger and smaller schools. Do me a favor and take the 5 minutes it takes to walk around the entire facility at Magnolia High School and then go see how much school you can see at Parkersburg South in 5 minutes. That aside, student population is what is relevant, not community attitude (big town vs small town). It is harder for small schools with 5 or 7 wrestlers to compete against schools with 25 or 30 wrestlers. The larger schools will always be the "state champion school" and the small school never will, resulting in the smaller school struggling to build and keep a wrestling program because students don't want to wrestle for the team that always comes in 44th at states.

And nobody cares how California does it. There are 10 school districts in Cali that have more students than the city of Charleston, WV has residents. We can not do it the way they do it because our largest school district (Kanawha county) wouldn't even be in the top 25 in California.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:29 pm

coach_williams wrote:

There is a considerable difference between our bigger and smaller schools. Do me a favor and take the 5 minutes it takes to walk around the entire facility at Magnolia High School and then go see how much school you can see at Parkersburg South in 5 minutes. That aside, student population is what is relevant, not community attitude (big town vs small town). It is harder for small schools with 5 or 7 wrestlers to compete against schools with 25 or 30 wrestlers. The larger schools will always be the "state champion school" and the small school never will, resulting in the smaller school struggling to build and keep a wrestling program because students don't want to wrestle for the team that always comes in 44th at states.

And nobody cares how California does it. There are 10 school districts in Cali that have more students than the city of Charleston, WV has residents. We can not do it the way they do it because our largest school district (Kanawha county) wouldn't even be in the top 25 in California.

The D man has some valid points

highleghillary

Postby highleghillary » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:36 pm

coach_williams wrote:

Actually, there really is no difference compared to schools in other states in the country. This is why we have seen former AAA schools transition to AA vice versa. especially a specific hs who was AA ten years ago then switched to AAA, then again switched to AA. And to say we dont care about California? That is extremely irresponsible given California is normally a top ten state in the country. This is the point of this conversation right? To discuss a way to make the state tournament more desirable and competitive by avoiding forefeits? Look at the current state of west virginia, our economy is down the drain, there are less younger people as well as population as a whole here, and there really isnt anything attractive. This current state correlates to everything we do, such as recreational activity in wrestling. This coaligns with what we are currently seeing in wrestling. look..... you would do 4 sections (combine the current AA and AAA regions)make it a two day tournament 16 man bracket, so WVSSAC doesnt miss out on the possible revenue they'd recieve from the orginal structure. Top 8 make it to state. you do a 32 man bracket and place top 8. WVSSAC doesnt lose any revenue and this consolidates the sport into making this back into a more competitive and entertaining atmosphere.

Return to “High School Wrestling”