For the success of WV wrestling in general

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
P.H.D.

Re: For the success of WV wrestling in general

Postby P.H.D. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Matofficial wrote:The thing about going to out of season tournaments like Fargo and others is your wrestler is exposed to the best wrestlers. Over the years we have had wrestlers lose a close match because they were not use to the level of wrestlers where as our opponents were exposed to that type of wrestling either dailey or every weekend.

If a team has even just 1-2 kids fortunate or willing enough to compete on the level that Fargo brings in then those kids bring an elevated degree of skill and experience back to their room. If minor liabilities could be solved like coach Williams mentioned then a team can presumably get better through the summer following these killer tourneys n duals. Nothing motivates a wrestler more than success and there is only one way to increase those odds for success (aside from targeting sub caliber competition).

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:25 am

Bearhugger wrote:
If your kid cannot throw around the iron equivalent of his body weight numerous times(160 pound kid squatting 160 pounds 20+ reps), then learning 1,000 holds will not help much.

I agree with you 100% on the importance of weight training, however, I wonder if you are familiar with the difference between hypertrophy and strength work? I only mention it because I have seen you mention this a few times. In order to get stronger, they would do heavy weight for low reps with long rest periods. Light weight for high reps, like what you suggested, is hypertrophy work. It will make them put on weight and look bigger, while improving endurance, but the strength and explosiveness gains will be minimal.
sentenceseller

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:32 pm

greencrush wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
If your kid cannot throw around the iron equivalent of his body weight numerous times(160 pound kid squatting 160 pounds 20+ reps), then learning 1,000 holds will not help much.

I agree with you 100% on the importance of weight training, however, I wonder if you are familiar with the difference between hypertrophy and strength work? I only mention it because I have seen you mention this a few times. In order to get stronger, they would do heavy weight for low reps with long rest periods. Light weight for high reps, like what you suggested, is hypertrophy work. It will make them put on weight and look bigger, while improving endurance, but the strength and explosiveness gains will be minimal.

If I had it all to do over again, I would be strive for my best 3 rep max and my best 20 max. Forget the one rep crap.

One day, lift up to my best 3reps. This is where the brute force and power comes in. On another day, I would warm up to my body weight and squat it for 20 reps. IF I can squat my body weight 20 times, then the next week I add 5 lbs. Look for the best of 3 on one day and the best of 20 for another.

Wrestling is a 6 minute sprint. Running 3 miles is better than nothing, but it is not sports specific for wrestling in terms of body motion and time. Everybody runs.

A good wrestler needs to be as strong in the final 30 seconds as he was in the first 30 seconds.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Sally

Postby Sally » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:26 pm

If I had it all to do over again.....Bearhugger

Well you don't so here is the contact info for the people you wish to speak to-
Email: wvssac@wvssac.org
Web: http://www.wvssac.org
Phone: 304-485-5494
Fax: 304-428-5431

timamos

Postby timamos » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
hurrmat1 wrote: Lacking strength and the proper kind of conditioning is holding the best of WV's best back from achieving more advancement in these bigger, tougher tournaments.
Many folks think if Wrestler A knows 8 techniques and doesn't win, then he needs to go learn 8 more techniques. I agree that knowing 16 techniques is better, but the real key is fixing the individual so they can win more with the 8 techniques they already know.
I see kids that can't get up off the mat due to their lack of physical strength. I see a kid who has everything to get in on a double leg but lacks the upper body strength to hang onto his opponents legs. He misses a lot of takedowns because of this.

I am far from an expert at anything, the opinions that I express are from watching as a parent and attempting to coach. I think Hurrmat or Bearhugger is right but I think success is a puzzle of parts including technique, strength, speed, flexibility, explosiveness, conditioning, experience, and plain ole mental toughness, all with a little mean streak mixed in. He is right when he says the real key is fixing the individual but then I lose him when he seems to criticize a focus on technique. In his example adding 8 new techniques may be exactly what that particular wrestler needs. Or it may be that his technique is fine but he is weak and we need to focus on increasing strength, so the time devoted to the new techniques would be better used in the weight room. Or he may be too slow. Or he may be so stiff that a lack of flexibility cost him a match. Or he may have simply need more experience as he ran into his first west coast kid and didn't know that they're usually is terrible on bottom but dangerous on their feet/ his first Pennsylvania kid who smiled when our kid chose bottom because the 0-0 match just turned into a pin as he barred the hell out of our kid. I don't think it was what hurrmat/bearhugger was saying but if someone misreads his posts and chooses to only focus on strength, the good national kids will embarrass you on the mat. Similarly, focus only on technique and you can't finish many of your moves, the strong kids will crush you. matofficial made me smile when he mentioned the beach body kids who were kitten weak, everyone except those wrestlers who get intimidated by physique beats the beach bodies. Unrelated comment but maybe someone with a exercise phys or medical background can explain, why is it that the very fit looking beachbody types seem to die in the 3rd period, maybe even faster than the fat kids?

Experience has been discussed on this thread. Some of the people believe that it is far better to go to a camp than it is to go 0-4 at Fargo. For the person who said that they should spend the $ grand on a camp instead of Fargo, I disagree. Going to a camp is helpful if it is part of a SYSTEM (Miron, Jordan, Purler, Clark are the four that immediately come to mind who teach a system but there are many others), if you are going to a random camp hoping to get better by learning high flying/low percentage moves then you are wasting your money. More to the point, if you are going to a camp and your school or club team does not drill the stuff being taught, or your parents are not writing down/filming so that it can be correctly drilled at home, then you are absolutely wasting your money.

Reading the middle school boards I saw two of Dr. Welker's columns referenced about club or school and it made me go back and read them. Dr. Welker has probably forgotten more about wrestling than I will ever know. I email him from time to time with questions or comments. As I read those ones I remembered this column and I think it speaks to many of the comments on here about Fargo vs weight lifting vs camps. Several years ago he penned this column about national tournaments versus camps. He sent it to me to see what I thought. I emailed him and we discussed the pros and the cons and I told him I thought it came off a little extreme. Sure enough he posted it and it made some people mad. I think what he was missing in his column and what some of these posts are missing is balance. You have to find time for technique, strength, speed, flexibility, explosiveness, and conditioning. Figure out what you need work on and give that part of the game more attention. You have to go out of your comfort zone whether that is to Fargo or to Ironman and get your butt kicked to get some experience.

Going to Fargo was very beneficial for my son. The guys who did not win it received huge benefits from Fargo, namely it kept them in the wrestling room for the spring and summer whereas they would not have been in the room as often otherwise, they were learning new stuff so it kept them from getting bored/burned out, it got them exposed to college coaches, it showed them another level exists outside of the borders of this state and that is nothing to be scared of, it is something to be excited about and shoot for, those good kids are no different than our West Virginia kids, our kids can and should be that good too. It also developed relationships with kids from other teams and with other coaches. My son has a great relationship with the coaches at Parkersburg South. Thanks to Fargo he enjoys a very close relationship with coaches at PHS, Huntington & Musselman.

http://www.wvmat.com/welker/competition.htm

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Very good points, Tim. It does have to be tempered with present abilty as well in my humble opinion. In short, unless you are one of the very best kids from WV, Fargo may not do you as much good as a camp. Case in point, one of the kids who went to Fargo with us back when my son was wrestling was, in my eyes, nowhere near ready for that level of competetion. He insisted he was and his parents plunked down the cash. He rose 20+ hours in a rental van only to spend less than 2 1/2 minutes total on the mat. Not so sure he learned a lot from getting crushed - he would have benefited more from a well designed camp. Conversely, there are kids who are ready for Fargo level cmpetition who do not go becausevtheir coaches push a camp most likely run by one of their buddies and the kid gets little benefit. In conclusion, we can not make a definitive statement about which is more benficial because it varies so much according to the individual wrestlers strentgths and weeknesses.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:37 am

I went last Spring to NHSCA Nationals. I then went to the Super 32. I just got back from the Powerade. I saw the same kind of wrestlers at all three tournaments. Strong, fast, tough and winning matches using the basics. When I watch college matches............I see wrestlers that are strong, fast, tough and winning matches using the basics.

I guess the point I am getting at is if the basics are not working for you, then maybe you need to work on your strength and speed.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”