Shake up week

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mattman

Shake up week

Postby mattman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Lotta team and individual rankings may change this week. I noticed Parkersburg upset south but south had a few names missing from their lineup. I also seen a 2x state champion went down this week. This was definatly shakeup week number 1 in the world of WV wrestling. That shows me our state is growing with talent. Keep up the good work fellas

mscoach64

Re: Shake up week

Postby mscoach64 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:00 pm

ive noticed that wv seems to be pretty good at wrestling. lots of kids who travel out of state seem to have good showings. which 2x state champ lost this weekend?

FBISURVALINCEVAN1

Postby FBISURVALINCEVAN1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:26 pm

In reference to the 2x state champion that did in fact lose. The loss occurred to a bad call in overtime. Not saying the wrestler isn't good because he certainly is but it was very apparent that said champion was not at 100% at all. An said 2x champion was/is sick. You can bet when the two meet again the outcome will be different.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:37 pm

FBISURVALINCEVAN1 wrote:In reference to the 2x state champion that did in fact lose. The loss occurred to a bad call in overtime. Not saying the wrestler isn't good because he certainly is but it was very apparent that said champion was not at 100% at all. An said 2x champion was/is sick. You can bet when the two meet again the outcome will be different.
so, who was it

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:42 pm

Mattman, A few names ? How about five starters and moved two kids up a wt class.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:53 pm

The rumor down in Beckley is that Murderer's Row saw a Ghost.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mattman

Postby mattman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:58 pm

2 number one teams and a few defending state champs went down today. We all know when the New England "PATRIOTS" ;) go down, they bounce back with bad intentions! Crazy week of wrestling in the mountain state. I predict many more upsets to come but at the big dance, the cream will always rise.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:21 pm

FBISURVALINCEVAN1 wrote:In reference to the 2x state champion that did in fact lose. The loss occurred to a bad call in overtime. Not saying the wrestler isn't good because he certainly is but it was very apparent that said champion was not at 100% at all. An said 2x champion was/is sick. You can bet when the two meet again the outcome will be different.

Noting is more sad than making excuses. There was no bad calls. Why do you want to diminish a hard working wrestlers efforts? Cole Laya is a very tough kid, I read it on here every day. It never stops but then along comes a young 9th grade stud wrestler that works his ass off as hard as anyone and picks up a nice win but all you want to do is minimize his victory. You said "you can bet when these two meet again the outcome will be different."? Maybe...maybe not...that's why we do this. One thing is for sure. If Cole Laya defeats Peyton in the regional and or states I won't be on here texting from the Big Sandy Arena Parking lot making excuses. Cole is a great wrestler that has 2 state championships and (you tell me) 80+ consecutive wins but Peyton Hall is the wrestler that just reset the counter. Give credit where it's due.
Jim Hall

mattman

Postby mattman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:41 pm

wvnorth wrote:

Noting is more sad than making excuses. There was no bad calls. Why do you want to diminish a hard working wrestlers efforts? Cole Laya is a very tough kid, I read it on here every day. It never stops but then along comes a young 9th grade stud wrestler that works his ass off as hard as anyone and picks up a nice win but all you want to do is minimize his victory. You said "you can bet when these two meet again the outcome will be different."? Maybe...maybe not...that's why we do this. One thing is for sure. If Cole Laya defeats Peyton in the regional and or states I won't be on here texting from the Big Sandy Arena Parking lot making excuses. Cole is a great wrestler that has 2 state championships and (you tell me) 80+ consecutive wins but Peyton Hall is the wrestler that just reset the counter. Give credit where it's due.
Jim Hall
Thanks for clarifying that Jim. I knew Hall was trouble for the weight class as soon as I seen the name.

oldgold72

Postby oldgold72 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:55 pm

There was also an unattached wrestler that won the tournament at his weight in Cameron. Took out the #7 and #4 ranked wrestlers. Overall,,, good tournament and congrats to all who competed today.

johnroberts

Postby johnroberts » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:07 am

Congratulations to Payton on the win. It doesn't surprise me at all that Payton won the match. Payton is a hard working kid that can pull out big wins on all levels. FBI may be correct that the match will be different the next time. Maybe Payton wins in the first 3 periods instead of going to OT. Or maybe Cole wins the next time. Who knows? Both are very good wrestlers and both can pull out big wins. If I am correct, Payton is now 2-0 against Laya overall. Excuses only make for more excuses!

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 am

Hall wrestled Whorton last time and lost 8 to 2. First time wrestling Laya according to results. Unless we are talking further back in history.

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:28 am

Hall and Laya match was exciting to watch. Alot of scrambles. Not sure on health status, but Laya was out to 3 to 0 lead and looked controlling. Then Hall started creeping back in. A few scrambles that he came out on the better and the momentum started to swing. End result Hall won a very fun match to watch.

johnroberts

Postby johnroberts » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:29 am

Payton is a Freshman. Go back a couple years

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:32 am

Too much work. I quit looking at results prior to high school. The rest should be considered practice and irrelevant.

johnroberts

Postby johnroberts » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:41 am

He beat Cole a couple years ago (I agree, its to much work to research and a lot of things can change in a couple years) but to say that its not a good win by making excuses by FBI's post is just poor sportsmanship. Payton won this time. Don't delegitimize the win, embrace it!

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:43 am

maskedman wrote:Hall wrestled Whorton last time and lost 8 to 2. First time wrestling Laya according to results. Unless we are talking further back in history.

Yea they did wrestle as kids. Funny someone remembers. They wrestled in Clarksburg at the Armory for the old Wv Championships. Peyton was thrown in the mix. Cole Laya was 1 seed, Caleb Haynes was 2 seed. Peyton was last seed and beat Cole first round and Clayton Stewart beat Caleb Haynes. Peyton lost to Clay in the finals. It was a long time ago but just like now. Cole was #1 and Peyton was nobody. Peyton has been around the scene but I don't toot his horn on here everyday.

KennyFPowers

Postby KennyFPowers » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:52 am

The "Animal" lost to another freshmen too.

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:55 am

Who did Miller lose to? Unless there are more wild animals on the loose.

Refuse-to-lose

Postby Refuse-to-lose » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:32 am

The Laya vs Hall match was a very exciting match. There weren't any bad calls to my knowledge and I didn't hear of any illness to Cole previous to their match. Peyton wrestled a good match in my opinion. My opinion is also that a loss will often times make you better. If so, I look forward to the next battle between these two great competitors.

wrestlingfan23202

Postby wrestlingfan23202 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:15 am

Excuses everywhere Layla got beat fair and square by the better wrestler today. It's easy to blame the refs but they did a magnificent job! Kudos to the freshman with the upset

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:36 am

KennyFPowers wrote:The "Animal" lost to another freshmen too.
who is the "Animal"?

Wrestlingfan13

Postby Wrestlingfan13 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:35 am

Everyone is speaking on sportsmanship, but can anyone tell me why oak glen does not shake coaches hands after the match. I noticed it after our coaches were talking about them not shaking their hands and I kept watching them through the day and evening and it was all of them. I get not shaking hands some kids on our team fist bump cause shaking hands isn't cool anymore but they still go over to the other teams coach. Just curious they may have had an issue with coaches in past and just don't do it anymore to prevent the possibility of it again.

aaacoach11

Postby aaacoach11 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:48 am

The so called "blue bloods" of WV high school wrestling Oak Glen, Parkersburg, and I believe Huntington never have shaken hands for as long as I remember. Also, I was at the East vs Indy match the other night and several Indy kids were frustrated with their performance after their individual match. Kudos to Coach Cliff Warden by making them go shake hands with their opponent and opposing coach. Well done Coach!

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:13 am

Huntington's wrestlers shake the opposing coaches hands before the match instead of after.

highleghillary

Postby highleghillary » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:16 am

Looking at the results, there def we're 5 starters missing from pshs. That in no way is an upset. If anything that just shows you something about pshs; losing by 2 pts to the second ranked team with 5 starters gone? Though I'm sure this is healthy between the two schools rivalry, it gets old as a spectator to see the same team winning. If the rankings change, then I would guess that's because of the deep hatred/bias the rest of the state has for/against pshs. However, I honestly dont see any teams beating them once they their full lineup is implemented. CONGRATS to PHS coach Chris Way and his coaching staff.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:41 am

highleghillary wrote:Looking at the results, there def we're 5 starters missing from pshs. That in no way is an upset. If anything that just shows you something about pshs; losing by 2 pts to the second ranked team with 5 starters gone? Though I'm sure this is healthy between the two schools rivalry, it gets old as a spectator to see the same team winning. If the rankings change, then I would guess that's because of the deep hatred/bias the rest of the state has for/against pshs. However, I honestly dont see any teams beating them once they their full lineup is implemented. CONGRATS to PHS coach Chris Way and his coaching staff.

Those voting look at whether starters were missing. South will still be ranked 1.

Deep hatred/bias the rest of the state has for/against PSHS? That seems more a product of your imagination. If anything, most coaches voting would be more inclined to give South the benefit of doubt in the polls due to their success in recent years.

highleghillary

Postby highleghillary » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:57 am

guard0544 wrote:
highleghillary wrote:Looking at the results, there def we're 5 starters missing from pshs. That in no way is an upset. If anything that just shows you something about pshs; losing by 2 pts to the second ranked team with 5 starters gone? Though I'm sure this is healthy between the two schools rivalry, it gets old as a spectator to see the same team winning. If the rankings change, then I would guess that's because of the deep hatred/bias the rest of the state has for/against pshs. However, I honestly dont see any teams beating them once they their full lineup is implemented. CONGRATS to PHS coach Chris Way and his coaching staff.

Those voting look at whether starters were missing. South will still be ranked 1.

Deep hatred/bias the rest of the state has for/against PSHS? That seems more a product of your imagination. If anything, most coaches voting would be more inclined to give South the benefit of doubt in the polls due to their success in recent years.

I'm just looking at this as a fan. I know that the coaches vote on it. But let's be brutally honest. ALOT of ppl including the coaches do not, if anything else, despise that program. I may have been a little unfair by using the term "bias, " but the hatred is most definatly their. Since we are on this topic, I did see on here from past threads and an announcement that they we're looking for a match, I believe it was from gator? It seems like pshs has issues scheduling teams, most specifically teams in the OVAC. I see that OVAC has a team dual championship. Does anybody on here know if they have to wrestle a certain amount of duals to be able to compete in this event? That would be pretty sad, and I think the blame would have to go to the OVAC officials for letting this occur if so. Does anybody know anything about this? So with that being said, I'm in no way accusing any team in the state or OVAC for that matter of running away from them, nor do I really think that. Honestly, I dont know a thing about wrestling, nor have I personally wrestled before so I couldn't even relate from an anecdotal. But if pshs is having trouble scheduling teams and are forced to go to tournaments out of state, wouldn't we think this is only making them better? Cuz quite frankly, I'm tired if seeing them win year in and year out.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Wrestlingfan13 wrote:Everyone is speaking on sportsmanship, but can anyone tell me why oak glen does not shake coaches hands after the match. I noticed it after our coaches were talking about them not shaking their hands and I kept watching them through the day and evening and it was all of them. I get not shaking hands some kids on our team fist bump cause shaking hands isn't cool anymore but they still go over to the other teams coach. Just curious they may have had an issue with coaches in past and just don't do it anymore to prevent the possibility of it again.

Not ALL of them. Peyton Hall after Cole Laya match yesterday.

SingleLegTrump

Postby SingleLegTrump » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:42 pm

Lots of yuge matchups this week at the WV duals where some things were shaken up and some things solidified. Nice matchups between McCune-Holstein, Pomeroy-Wolfe, and then quite a bit of the PS vs PHS individual matchups. Anybody else see Coach Smith all upset just Bc the PHS administration tried to illegally slide in a 220 pounder inelligible to compete at that weight? I say just let the kids wrestle and put that team score on the line! Still very exciting to watch all the way through with several lead changes. Very much looking forward to winner's choice. The best matchups this year will happen there, believe me.
Make Wrestlers Tough Again

Return to “High School Wrestling”