Shake up week

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
brentsams

Re: Shake up week

Postby brentsams » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:13 pm

SingleLegTrump wrote: Anybody else see Coach Smith all upset just Bc the PHS administration tried to illegally slide in a 220 pounder inelligible to compete at that weight? I say just let the kids wrestle and put that team score on the line!

220 was officially scored as a forfeit before the start of the exhibition match. PHS' Collin Kidd weighed in at 182, South's Dalton Fullerton weighed in at 195 and took the forfeit at 220. On paper, Kidd vs. Fullerton was an 195 pound exhibition that occurred after the official 195 pound matchup between Allman and Wade and when Fullerton took the forfeit at 220. It was good for the reserves to get a match in. I can't speak for Coach Smith but I would assume he was not aware of the 195 pound exhibition status of the match when he saw it occurring and thinking it was the official 220 pound match. I was a bit confused myself at first and went to the score table to double check. Both official scorers for South and PHS at the table knew the status and there was nothing illegally occurring or attempted to occur. Nitpicking and criticizing Coach Smith again shows the disdain for South's program. He has nothing against just letting the kids wrestle.

The coin flip between the captains at the start of the dual determined that South had to declare first at odd match-ups (106, 120, 132, 145, 160, 182 and 220) and PHS at evens (113, 126, 138, 152, 170, 195 and 285). PHS elected to go with their starter Wade at 195 instead of bumping up their reserve 182 wrestler Kidd. South countered with Allman and using their reserve 195 Fullerton at 220 to take the forfeit that gave them a 35-31 lead going into the heavyweight match between 220 pounder Wolfe (215.1) and PHS Heavyweight McCune (283.8). I applaud Wolfe for accepting the challenge, giving up nearly 70 pounds, and try to secure the team win for South. McCune also deserves credit for realizing a typical 2-1 heavyweight win was not going to be enough for PHS to win the dual and he had to go for the pin. A great end to a great match and a great finish to the tournament.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:17 pm

A picture is worth 1,000 words.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:39 pm

After conversing with Coach Smith after the dual...............(SNIP)

Rules Of the forum
No unsportsmanlike conduct.
Unsportsmanlike conduct includes but is not limited to swearing, taunting, intimidation, baiting, indicating displeasure with an official's call, questioning an official's judgment, and acts of disrespect or those actions which incite negative reaction by others. These are the rules which are enforced in a wrestling match, and the same definitions apply here. Those guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct may have their posts removed and posting privileges suspended.

No soliciting or advertising, other than announcements for camps and clinics.

Other items deemed objectionable or unrelated to West Virginia Wrestling may be removed at the editor's discretion. We reserve the right to remove posts to which other readers object. We are just trying to keep everybody happy!!

WV-Mat reserves the right to reject usernames in the event that a chosen username results in an unwanted association with another person or organization.

*Views expressed by users of this forum do not represent the opinion or position of the editors of WV-Mat.
Timothy C. Miller MD tmiller@mountain.net

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:19 pm

brentsams wrote:
SingleLegTrump wrote: Anybody else see Coach Smith all upset just Bc the PHS administration tried to illegally slide in a 220 pounder inelligible to compete at that weight? I say just let the kids wrestle and put that team score on the line!

220 was officially scored as a forfeit before the start of the exhibition match. PHS' Collin Kidd weighed in at 182, South's Dalton Fullerton weighed in at 195 and took the forfeit at 220. On paper, Kidd vs. Fullerton was an 195 pound exhibition that occurred after the official 195 pound matchup between Allman and Wade and when Fullerton took the forfeit at 220. It was good for the reserves to get a match in. I can't speak for Coach Smith but I would assume he was not aware of the 195 pound exhibition status of the match when he saw it occurring and thinking it was the official 220 pound match. I was a bit confused myself at first and went to the score table to double check. Both official scorers for South and PHS at the table knew the status and there was nothing illegally occurring or attempted to occur. Nitpicking and criticizing Coach Smith again shows the disdain for South's program. He has nothing against just letting the kids wrestle.

The coin flip between the captains at the start of the dual determined that South had to declare first at odd match-ups (106, 120, 132, 145, 160, 182 and 220) and PHS at evens (113, 126, 138, 152, 170, 195 and 285). PHS elected to go with their starter Wade at 195 instead of bumping up their reserve 182 wrestler Kidd. South countered with Allman and using their reserve 195 Fullerton at 220 to take the forfeit that gave them a 35-31 lead going into the heavyweight match between 220 pounder Wolfe (215.1) and PHS Heavyweight McCune (283.8). I applaud Wolfe for accepting the challenge, giving up nearly 70 pounds, and try to secure the team win for South. McCune also deserves credit for realizing a typical 2-1 heavyweight win was not going to be enough for PHS to win the dual and he had to go for the pin. A great end to a great match and a great finish to the tournament.

After conversing with Coach Smith after the dual, he was never made aware by anyone that the bout between Fullerton and Kidd was indeed an exhibition match. The coaches were on top of that particular situation, just like they were on top of knowing that Phs had to send their 195 wrestler out first bc they chose odds on the initial coin flip before the start of the dual.

Wrestlingfan13

Postby Wrestlingfan13 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Glad to see hall did. I know there was another match against east that the boy just went to his coaches and avoided east side. Hall seemed very respectful I don't not see anyone else on their team shake hands. With everyone standing and cheering my view was obstructed so I'm glad mr hall is respectful

oldgold72

Postby oldgold72 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:28 pm

The handshake at the end of a match is respect between the competitors. Shaking hands with the coach is irrelevant. Read Dr. Welkers memo on it. If you feel it's disrespectful,,, that's your personal opinion and your issue. On another note,,, this topic was about the shake up of the rankings. I personally am interested in hearing some predictions on where some guys will end up ranked this week.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:30 pm

I think this shouldn't shake things up much; I understand South was without 5 starters and a couple wrestling up weight classes. I believe South had some scrambling to do with their line up. PHS should be proud they look good from the results and are a young team. Not sure who all was wrestling up for South but they are solid top to bottom when everyone is healthy and competing.

oldgold72

Postby oldgold72 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:38 pm

I might be a lil biased, but I believe if voting coaches do diligent research, A/AA- 132# rankings should change considerably.

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Unranked Caleb Whittington from Sissonville upset # 4 ranked Aaron Life 6 2 at 160 in the semis at Pat Vance.

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:42 pm

So if someone says Cole Laya was sick.. attack for making excuses.

If South loses, they were missing people, they moved kids, not 100 percent healthy, that is ok.

I think this thread should have been a congratulations to all those who pulled off big wins and made for some exciting wrestling.

But for South to be allowed to make excuses, and attack someone else for making excuses is hypocritical. Moderator, I know you are a South fan, but clean this up, please.

Congratulations East Fairmont, Parkersburg, Hall, Whittington, and any other great performances this past week.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:53 pm

maskedman wrote:So if someone says Cole Laya was sick.. attack for making excuses.

If South loses, they were missing people, they moved kids, not 100 percent healthy, that is ok.

I think this thread should have been a congratulations to all those who pulled off big wins and made for some exciting wrestling.

But for South to be allowed to make excuses, and attack someone else for making excuses is hypocritical. Moderator, I know you are a South fan, but clean this up, please.

Congratulations East Fairmont, Parkersburg, Hall, Whittington, and any other great performances this past week.

Maskedman, if you are referring to me as the South fan, yes I am, but there are no less than 8 moderators of this site and not all are South fans. When we feel the forum rules have been broken, we "clean things up." If we deleted everyone's post for being "hypocritical", there wouldn't be much to read. If something bothers you that much, go to another wrestling site and see what goes on there. It's not pretty.

And by the way, not everyone who says they are a South fan, or an Indy fan, or an East Fairmont fan, etc are actually fans of those programs, but rather post negative, rude comments to make a program look bad. You figure out who those posters are and let the moderators know and we'll try to fix it.
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Gator wrote:
maskedman wrote:So if someone says Cole Laya was sick.. attack for making excuses.

Maskedman, if you are referring to me as the South fan, yes I am, but there are no less than 8 moderators of this site and not all are South fans. When we feel the forum rules have been broken, we "clean things up." If we deleted everyone's post for being "hypocritical", there wouldn't be much to read. If something bothers you that much, go to another wrestling site and see what goes on there. It's not pretty.

And by the way, not everyone who says they are a South fan, or an Indy fan, or an East Fairmont fan, etc are actually fans of those programs, but rather post negative, rude comments to make a program look bad. You figure out who those posters are and let the moderators know and we'll try to fix it.

I love everybody.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:34 am

I apologize for my previous post which I have deleted. I knew I should have waited to hear from Brent before I continued to make comments.
Last edited by KDunbar on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:49 am

oldgold72 wrote:The handshake at the end of a match is respect between the competitors. Shaking hands with the coach is irrelevant. Read Dr. Welkers memo on it. If you feel it's disrespectful,,, that's your personal opinion and your issue. On another note,,, this topic was about the shake up of the rankings. I personally am interested in hearing some predictions on where some guys will end up ranked this week.

Oak Glen should have a kid break into the top ten and another as a new #1.

kbl3400

Postby kbl3400 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:27 am

Looks like 182 in AA/A will being exciting moving forward. Lewis, Hale, and Daniels have been solidifying their selves as top contenders to Safford. I believe Lewis and Daniels are 1 and 1. Glad to hear that Cook and Rollyson are back wrestling and looked good this weekend. I'm sure they will be in wrestling shape soon. Frampton from nitro is unbeaten and a contender. Masters from Fairmont Senior and a couple others are tough wrestlers too. This should be an interesting class to watch!

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:21 am

At 106 have Hodges and Whorton wrestled each other yet?
Noticed Skaggs is wrestling 113 now, lost to flint in OT.
Also at 113 Spaulding beat Stover.
Lots of "shake up" but it is still early ( or almost mid season)

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:06 pm

baxter841 wrote:At 106 have Hodges and Whorton wrestled each other yet?

Spaulding looked impressive this weekend in Parkersburg.
Moderator WV Mat

coach999

Postby coach999 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Mason from Ritchie is 182 as well. He was a runner up 2 years ago.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:41 pm

baxter841 wrote:At 106 have Hodges and Whorton wrestled each other yet?

No on the Whorton / Hodges match. Whorton was out with a chest infection that started late Thursday. Should be back soon.

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:46 pm

That is shaping up to be a great match!

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:52 pm

coach999 wrote:Mason from Ritchie is 182 as well. He was a runner up 2 years ago.

Mason has mostly wrestled 170

Sally

Postby Sally » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Wow,
Lots of shakeups this past week. Yes this weekend will tell us even more at Winner's Choice and elsewhere the rest of the season. I would like to see Yosemite's Rankings as soon as possible. Some folks seem to think small schools can't or should not compete with the biggest schools, I disagree. A/AA have some studs!
Credit to all the wrestlers and Coaches! Keep up the good work.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:05 pm

The Laya/Hall match was awesome to watch......the gym was going nuts, great fans on both sides of that match. Both kids wrestled their guts out, it was a fun one to watch.

The Long/Bozek match was also exciting to see, and the Long/Carman match was just as good. Great wrestling from all three of those young men. It was fun to watch!!!

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:47 pm

With all the shake ups at 82 here is my attempt at ranking them. 1. Safford 2 Rollysen 3.Cook 4. Daniels 5.Hale 6. Lewis 7. Frampton. Hard to rank this weight because they've all beaten one another but I'm talking last year in consideration s wel which is why last years runner up Cook is above Hale.

Refuse-to-lose

Postby Refuse-to-lose » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:20 pm

aacoach89,.....

That's the kind of positive post that all topics on the forum need to see !!

maskedman,.....

Also a very good post in reference to excuses instead of admitting defeat !!

Rikishi

Postby Rikishi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:11 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
oldgold72 wrote:The handshake at the end of a match is respect between the competitors. Shaking hands with the coach is irrelevant. Read Dr. Welkers memo on it. If you feel it's disrespectful,,, that's your personal opinion and your issue. On another note,,, this topic was about the shake up of the rankings. I personally am interested in hearing some predictions on where some guys will end up ranked this week.

Debee from Oak Glenn. Battled with Hissam Ef was a great match. Won on some kind of penalty call 4-3 and then really took it to Dixon frown Keyser... up several points when he pinned him. All in Region 1 along with Secrist and Cook. Shame one of them doesn't make Huntington, just isn't good for the sport to have this alignment.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Rikishi wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Debee from Oak Glenn. Battled with Hissam Ef was a great match. Won on some kind of penalty call 4-3 and then really took it to Dixon frown Keyser... up several points when he pinned him. All in Region 1 along with Secrist and Cook. Shame one of them doesn't make Huntington, just isn't good for the sport to have this alignment.

I covered this a few weeks ago. Somebody should eat up to 138.

highleghillary

Postby highleghillary » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:51 am

Refuse-to-lose wrote:aacoach89,.....

That's the kind of positive post that all topics on the forum need to see !!

maskedman,.....

Also a very good post in reference to excuses instead of admitting defeat !!

Deal me in!

mattman

Postby mattman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:58 am

Do we have to start the shakeup week on the Wednesday or can we run it from Saturday? With another big week of wrestling coming this week, I'm gonna tip toe out there and predict a couple more this week. These tough teams and kids will find their stride by conference week and that is when we will start to paint a picture. Alpha dates coming up and plenty of hard work left. I'm excited about this season! Shout out to all the wrestlers, teams, coaches, parents, fans and sponsors that make the sport we love possible. God bless!

pin2win

Postby pin2win » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:46 pm

kbl3400 wrote:Looks like 182 in AA/A will being exciting moving forward. Lewis, Hale, and Daniels have been solidifying their selves as top contenders to Safford. I believe Lewis and Daniels are 1 and 1. Glad to hear that Cook and Rollyson are back wrestling and looked good this weekend. I'm sure they will be in wrestling shape soon. Frampton from nitro is unbeaten and a contender. Masters from Fairmont Senior and a couple others are tough wrestlers too. This should be an interesting class to watch!

Frampton from Nitro is not unbeaten. Cook from Sissonville beat him this weekend at the Pat Vance Invitational. Should be a good matchup tomorrow between Stafford and Cook at Point.

Return to “High School Wrestling”